What's more important for us - a top center back or Sancho?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Spin off from the "what do we still need" thread, where I felt we ensure we get a top center back over Sancho (if it came to choosing between the two of course). An example reply is below, and I'm just curious what the thoughts of the caf are on this. Sure Sancho is a top player but I wouldn't want his introduction to come at the opportunity cost of a top defender.

Your deluded if you think we need a CB more than Sancho.

We have lacked creatively and depth for years. Absolute years.

We have flaws in defence, but nothing major. Lindelof is weak, Maguire is slow etc. We could debate it all day. But the fact is, we need an attacker as an absolute priority. We havent had a RW for about 7 seasons. Lets sort that out.

No reason why we cant sign both anyway
To reply to this - we aren't winning shit with the defence as it stands, as it's just too weak. That doesn't mean its a "minor" flaw in the defence, it's actually quite major.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Get Sancho as it appears closer to a move, then get a CB...simple

romufc

You look at the market, what players out there you can get?

RW - Sancho - Alternatives - scarce
CB - there are Plenty of average to good options, no one stands out.

Therefore, you go and get Sancho whilst you look around for someone that suits the CB role.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Get Sancho as it appears closer to a move, then get a CB...simple
Wasn't asking which one is the more likely one but more if you had to choose between one and another what would it be?
I.e. if Woody told Ole you can get Sancho and have nothing towards a center back, would it still be the wise option when we evaluate what's needed in our side to challenge?

Devil may care

If we dont get both then prepare for another average season.
This is the answer, go past Mashford and Mason and our front 3 options are poor, but we also don't have a CB that compliments Maguire who in truth is not without blame, he's got 2 big weaknesses for a player costing a record fee, but reality is we have to build around him given the financial investment in him and the club's investment in the image of him as the next great salt of the earth English captain.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You look at the market, what players out there you can get?

RW - Sancho - Alternatives - scarce
CB - there are Plenty of average to good options, no one stands out.

Therefore, you go and get Sancho whilst you look around for someone that suits the CB role.
I haven't seen enough of him to put my hat on the statement, but isn't Upamecano meant to be a top talent for CB?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We just spent 130m last year.if we are to buy another CB (i agree we need one), heads has to roll.

Ole or Ed or scouting team - someone has to go.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We just spent 130m last year.if we are to buy another CB (i agree we need one), heads has to roll.

Ole or Ed or scouting team - someone has to go.
You didn't even need hindsight to know there was a gross overspending on Maguire there. Could have actually spent 20m on Koulibali and got better chemistry with Lindelof in that instance.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wasn't asking which one is the more likely one but more if you had to choose between one and another what would it be?
I.e. if Woody told Ole you can get Sancho and have nothing towards a center back, would it still be the wise option when we evaluate what's needed in our side to challenge?
Left to only one? I'd choose Sancho because I've no idea which CB is available or who we should target

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Both are very important. But I do think top class attack > top class defence.

Bwuk

Sancho comfortably.

We’ve drawn 11 games so far, convert a couple of them to wins and we’d be laughing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho for sure. Hes perfect for our squad and potentially world class. There isn't any CB who you'd say is a clear option and would take us up a level. Same with holding mid.

romufc

I haven't seen enough of him to put my hat on the statement, but isn't Upamecano meant to be a top talent for CB?
Havent seen enough of Sancho?

I think of it this way, we struggled to keep the ball when it got to James or Rashford. We have better quality, I can guarantee you Sancho is better than James / Lingard / Perreira. We lack RW for years and he fits the description of RW we want.

Upamencano has a release clause of £40m, so he would be a decent shout. However; is he better than Lindelof / Maguire now? Maybe, maybe not. So you are spending money on someone who could be better?

Sancho is better than any of our RW right now.

bsCallout

I think both are essential. Sancho would be priority. That sort of talent isnt available often, in a position we desperately need.

We have to get rid of 2/3 CBs this window and get a top quality CB in though.

Stadjer

We need both to win things but if we can only sign one i would sign the

Maguire, DDG and to a lesser extend Lindelof might keep giving away chances and goals but with Sancho, Martial, Rashford, Pogba and Bruno we might be able to outscore the opponent. Like the pre VVD Liverpool and when we find our VVD we will start winning stuff.

Having those five players as attacking options would atleast be fun to watch.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think Sancho is more important to secure, but I don't think we can be confident of comfortably finishing in the top four and winning any trophies without signing both.

I think when we bring James, Mata, Lingard etc into the side it is clear that we lose a significant amount of threat on goal. Signing a CB and being more solid will obviously win us points, but having an alternative if the forwards are having an off day would win us more points IMO. However much you need a good defence to achieve things in this league, it is proven that scoring more goals gets you places. The four sides that are above us are there because they have scored more goals than we have. Despite our apparent fragility, our defence is comparable to everyone else - only Liverpool have conceded fewer goals than us. I think this side has proven that its best form of defence is attack so I feel going more gung-ho is going to benefit us more in the long-term and fit the way Ole is trying to do things.

Sancho is a must and needs to be completed ASAP, but a CB would not be far behind at all either.

Edit: Just for comparison

TeamGFGA
Liverpool7729
Man City9335
Chelsea 6449
Leicester6739
Man Utd6335

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Spin off from the "what do we still need" thread, where I felt we ensure we get a top center back over Sancho (if it came to choosing between the two of course). An example reply is below, and I'm just curious what the thoughts of the caf are on this. Sure Sancho is a top player but I wouldn't want his introduction to come at the opportunity cost of a top defender.

To reply to this - we aren't winning shit with the defence as it stands, as it's just too weak. That doesn't mean its a "minor" flaw in the defence, it's actually quite major.
To reply to this - we aint winning shit without better options in the final third. Having no RW for another season is a major flaw.

Our defensive record is actually quite good considering.

We only sign a CB if three are sold permanently. We need an attacker regardless.

RW takes priority

Bit of a silly debate anyway - why cant we sign both? Its obvious Sancho is a major transfer target and you are allowed to strengthen two positions in one transfer window.

For me, RW and Midfield are currently our weakest areas. CB not ideal. granted but Matic cannot play every game this season and certainly not into next. We need a DM, we need a RW.

An upgrade on CB would be nice - not essential

Jericholyte2

Sancho by a country mile. I’d in fact argue that a proper DM is a higher priority than a CB.

Maguire and Lindelof with, say, Ndidi in front protecting them would still be good.

fps

Sancho. I want to enjoy Man Utd’s attacking play every match. Attack is the best form of defence for this lot.

Corwin

Sancho is more important because he is world-class. Of course we need a top centre-back (and maybe a full-back). But our scouting team is so bad - Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Dalot are nowhere near top-level we need, but we spent a fortune on Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. I seriously doubt that this scouting team can identify the right defender for the right price.

acnumber9

If we dont get both then prepare for another average season.
That would be my thought. Joint priority with a central midfielder third. Get those and we’ll have half a chance. If we don’t we’ll be scrambling up to the last day hoping to win the 4th place trophy again. Which I would bet good money will require more points next season.

Jibbs

More than boh we need a CDM the most, somebody to anchor the midfield, provide cover for defenders and do the dirty work for our attacking midfielders. Then we need an attacking player, ideally Sancho and then a CB.

Riz

You didn't even need hindsight to know there was a gross overspending on Maguire there. Could have actually spent 20m on Koulibali and got better chemistry with Lindelof in that instance.
As in £20m extra than Maguire totalling £105m?

Lelouch geass

We need 5 signings or may be more as of this new 5 sub rule which will increase pace of the game. World class Right wing, Creative midfield, Defensive midfield, world class centerback, 1 center forwad(if ighalo doest stay) and 1 wingback apart from young and potentials. If we want to win everything then 1 extra for every position minus the keeper. This wont happen though.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Sancho. We have the joint 2nd best defensive record in the league. Whereas we dropped a load of points against smaller teams where somebody like Sancho might create those chances we need to win those games.

diarm

Only one side has conceded fewer goals than us this season while four sides have scored more. Let's take the right winger we've been missing for a decade please.

The defence is the least of our troubles.

Our two most important areas are a forward to add competition to the current 3 and give us more options, i.e Sancho, and a Matic replacement. Then we would look at our goalkeeper.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sancho without a doubt. Signing a DM is significantly more important than a new CB.

We've got the second best defense in the league. People talk as though we're trash back there. Goals had been a problem, most notably the lack of them when we haven't got our creative players on the pitch. Adding Sancho means we add goals, assists and perhaps most importantly, depth.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Why do heads need to roll if we spend big on another CB ?
We needed another CB last summer even if when we did bring in Maguire.

JG3001

Sancho without a doubt.

We've got the second best defense in the league. People talk as though we're trash back there. Goals had been a problem, most notably the lack of them when we haven't got our creative players on the pitch. Adding Sancho means we add goals, assists and perhaps most importantly, depth.
Ye it’s been a bit of a funny one, as shaky as defense is, it’s 2nd best performing in the league if you go off goals conceded alone. But certainly could be upgraded.

Time is fortunately still on the side of the front three, but Rashford &Martial are still guilty of being incredibly wasteful in front of goal. Need a lot of chances to get that one goal. Sterling-esque I would say.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To answer the OP, Sancho is more critical . While our defence is not top notch, we can still get top 4 with that. May be we got to change the way how we defend - bring a commanding GK we could do better.

But RM is a whole different proposition. Mason is a kid and would have his ups and downs. There would be injuries to our front 3 and the backups are James,Pereira and Mata.