What's our best centre-back partnership?

Lee565

With Maguire captain and martinez as a ten hag signing, it surely will be these two.

If it is the case then maybe we are missing a trick of contemplating moving varane on already before he get's too old and further exposed as being a liability as first team starter with injuries and no other clubs willing to take him on at similar wages he is currently on.

the money we could still get for him would probably be close to what we paid for him and help add needed funds to bolster the first team 11 and would still have lindelof and bailly/jones as back up for this season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Martinez
Maguire
Lindelof
Those 3 will rotate on two CB positions.
Somewhere at the bottom of that list is Varane, who doesn't inspire me with confidence at all.

The Red Thinker

Martinez may not play against Brighton considering he’s barely trained with the group but he’s quality and will walk into the XI. Maguire for me is a good foil.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Maguire and Martinez surely.

Say what you want about Maguire but he has had a good season for us the year we signed him, last season was abysmal but I've never seen anything from Varane to suggest he's as good as everyone was saying.

A-man

With so many CBs to keep in shape, I wonder if ETH will take the opportunity to sub them now with 5 subs allowed. I haven’t seen coaches do much of that in other leagues with 5 subs, but it might be a good way here.

Red-17

Can't imagine Varane is going to be overly happy being a squat player heading up to the world cup. I would imagine we will rotate both center backs for Europa league at least, but still. That being said, no matter how many center backs we have, we always manage to end up with most of them injured, so the problem will probably take care of itself.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Can't imagine Varane is going to be overly happy being a squat player heading up to the world cup. I would imagine we will rotate both center backs for Europa league at least, but still. That being said, no matter how many center backs we have, we always manage to end up with most of them injured, so the problem will probably take care of itself.
Is that so? I thought Maguire and Lindelof managed to stay fit for the last two seasons?
It's Bailly who gets injured every second game, and Varane when he gets up from bed too quickly.

Red-17

Is that so? I thought Maguire and Lindelof managed to stay fit for the last two seasons?
It's Bailly who gets injured every second game, and Varane when he gets up from bed too quickly.
Well yeah, that's most of the reason they have been the most consistent partnership. Maguire for example played just about every minute the season before last partly because we needed him, but also because no other defender was consistently available. Last year Varane was hurt every other month, and Lindelof has always had a niggling back injury that springs up from time to time. Bailly is just a whole other story.

A-man

I think it’ll be tough for Varane to make in to France starting XI. They have many good options and I believe his only chance is if he nails himself as a starter at United.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Ideally Varane and Martinez, with Bailly or Lindelof as first options. Unfortunately slab head will get games due to him never being injured.

Yes I don’t rate Frankenstein’s illegitimate son.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well yeah, that's most of the reason they have been the most consistent partnership. Maguire for example played just about every minute the season before last partly because we needed him, but also because no other defender was consistently available. Last year Varane was hurt every other month, and Lindelof has always had a niggling back injury that springs up from time to time. Bailly is just a whole other story.
Yeah, I can't see how this is going to be an issue as well.
3 CBs rotating is perfect. One of Bailly / Varane fit is nice to have. I wouldn't expect to have all of them available often.

Varane around town

I'd say Varane and Martinez.

However, I suspect the signing of Martinez was, in part, an acknowledgement that Varane is going to be constantly injured.

Ironically, one player who has been screwed by Martinez coming in is Lindelof. Who must be our 4th choice CB now. It's ironic because I thought Ten Hag might be good news for Lindelof but obviously not.

MrSingh2002

Varane and Martinez

Today was just the 2nd time they played together but it didn't look like it.

Maguire will be RCB backup and Lindelof LCB backup.

Mark my words. Within a month all will be clear.

Revaulx

Surely it’s Martinez that’s the squat player ;)

userman

Hopefully Varane stays fit and forms a solid partnership with Martinez, with Maggie and Lindelöf as backups.

Let’s hope the club manage to sell Bailly, Tuanzebe and Jones.

The club has spent around £225m on that lot, amazing….

MrSingh2002

@mods

Can this thread be turned into a poll for the start of the season to gauge opinions now?

theatreofdreams777

Where are the clowns who said it's Maguire-Martinez? Like it or not, Varane-Bailly is our best CB partnership and please play Martinez as a DM.