What's our best centre-back partnership?

JB7

I don’t get the relevance of Bailly’s injuries when he is fit. Nobody is suggesting he should play when injured. On the contrary, it is Maguire who is often played when injured, or not fully recovering. And individually, when fit, Bailly, Lindelöf and Varane all performed better than Maguire last season. The team conceded goals, clearly, but that is a lazy observation - I al speaking directly of the culpability in those goals.

You have dismissed my reasoning as ‘nonsense’, the gone on to say that you apparently ‘don’t dispute’ that clubs give every opportunity for their big signings to work out. Speaking of Varane, I have no idea if Varane will or will not play, I don’t know the point there. He was injured during pre-season.

The structure of the club has changedC the meaning of that is yet to be seen. Pogba was not ‘released’, clearly. Mata was released. And speaking of suitability, Maguire is the least suited centre half we have to defending large spaces and playing a high-line, which I understand to be Ten Hag’s preference. We will likely ask him to do it anyway, when the more obvious thing to do would be to ask Bailly to do it, because whether or jot we think he’s as good as Maguire or not - he’s clearly more suited to that. Maguire has no recovery pace or agility. He is suited to defending his penalty area, not his half. And that’s actually obvious, so automatically installing him as first choice cannot possibly be based on his suitability for it.
Because we have seen over six years now that Bailly does not stay fit for long, so it is relevant. And there is no style of football where Bailly is stylistically better suited to play alongside a defender like Martinez than any of our other centre halves by the way; much in the same way that you should not have a pairing that both like to sit off, you should not have a pairing where both prefer to press for the ball, certainly not in the incredibly erratic style of Bailly. Maguire isn't better suited to defending the penalty by the way, I'm not aiming this to be any kind of defence for Maguire but there is a common misconception with the type of game he is suited to and I understand why, it is due to his lack of pace quite clearly, but he actually tends to defend better higher up the pitch in a compressed team - a lot of the issues come from the relationship between centre back and goalkeeper in that regard, as we have a goalkeeper that doesn't want to leave his line in or out of possession, which has tended to highlight our lack of pace defensively in recent years, so we'll have to see how that goes throughout the season with playing a higher line more consistently.

And I've said it's nonsense because it is nonsense - in suggesting Maguire will basically be an automatic pick due to the investment made, you are saying that Varane will not play because the manager has already said Martinez has been signed to be a first choice centre back. So it is quite clearly nonsense that we are supposedly picking Maguire due to him being a massive investment, if that means casting aside Varane who was also a massive (and much more recent) investment. If we picked the team on "investments" then Martinez would be sat on the bench at Malacia would be with the u23s.

And if you're suggesting Pogba wasn't released I'd love to know what you call it when the club doesn't offer a player a new deal in the final 12 months of his deal and as such allows them to leave the club without even trying to keep them.

Speako

Again, were we better without Maguire in defence last season? The whole team was bad including Varane who can't even stay fit.

its because you dont have an answer to the question, Varane has done nothing to suggest he should start for Manutd. Its that simple.
Varane ‘has done nothing to suggest he should start’ , but over the last 6 months Maguire has?! And I don’t have the answer? Give me a break. We’ll have to agree to disagree I’m afraid, as we’ve clearly been going to watch difference games.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Because we have seen over six years now that Bailly does not stay fit for long, so it is relevant. And there is no style of football where Bailly is stylistically better suited to play alongside a defender like Martinez than any of our other centre halves by the way; much in the same way that you should not have a pairing that both like to sit off, you should not have a pairing where both prefer to press for the ball, certainly not in the incredibly erratic style of Bailly. Maguire isn't better suited to defending the penalty by the way, I'm not aiming this to be any kind of defence for Maguire but there is a common misconception with the type of game he is suited to and I understand why, it is due to his lack of pace quite clearly, but he actually tends to defend better higher up the pitch in a compressed team - a lot of the issues come from the relationship between centre back and goalkeeper in that regard, as we have a goalkeeper that doesn't want to leave his line in or out of possession, which has tended to highlight our lack of pace defensively in recent years, so we'll have to see how that goes throughout the season with playing a higher line more consistently.

And I've said it's nonsense because it is nonsense - in suggesting Maguire will basically be an automatic pick due to the investment made, you are saying that Varane will not play because the manager has already said Martinez has been signed to be a first choice centre back. So it is quite clearly nonsense that we are supposedly picking Maguire due to him being a massive investment, if that means casting aside Varane who was also a massive (and much more recent) investment. If we picked the team on "investments" then Martinez would be sat on the bench at Malacia would be with the u23s.

And if you're suggesting Pogba wasn't released I'd love to know what you call it when the club doesn't offer a player a new deal in the final 12 months of his deal and as such allows them to leave the club without even trying to keep them.
When has Maguire ever shown to thrive in a high line? Certainly not with us, even when he was playing well in the lockdown season we were much more of a passive defending team, not one looking to constantly press high up the pitch and in the opponents half. Most of our best work came in transition. Likewise, his lauded Euros came in a 5 atb setup with 2 defensive minded midfielders sitting and shielding the back 3 CB’s and England sure as hell was fine with letting the opposition have the ball (to many people’s complaints).

Even at Leicester they didn’t start playing a more front footed style until Rodgers came in, which was right before Harry’s departure.

Steve 007

I’d put every penny I have on the fact that this isn’t an answer that Ten Hag could even answer.
Varane was one of the best for years and came to us and has a stinker by his standards.
Maguire was wanted by us and City, made the team of the Euros and had a stinker by Any standards last season. Bailly I love, and see good things, I desperately want him to start, then he starts and nearly kicks someone’s head off. Lindelof? (I don’t see it).

Bobski

If Ten Hag wants to play a high line then I don't see how Lisandro and Maguire can work, surely there is a lack of recovery pace there. Ten Hag must know that as well so what would be the solution to offset that weakness. Anyone?

Tallis

Is Martinez that slow ? From the video I have seen, he seems to be able to chase back. Who is our fastest CB - Axel ?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The idea of Lindelöf and Maguire on the halfway line makes little sense to me. They were just caught out by a bunch if Aussies the other day even. If we are going to play on the halfway line, Bailly needs to be in for me. Anyway, there were recent reports that we are hoping to shop Maguire next summer, and I hope they are true. Even if Bailly isn’t the answer, I’d like a dominant centre half in his mould. We should have really signed Konate. He’d be our best centre half easily.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maguire isn't better suited to defending the penalty by the way, I'm not aiming this to be any kind of defence for Maguire but there is a common misconception with the type of game he is suited to and I understand why, it is due to his lack of pace quite clearly, but he actually tends to defend better higher up the pitch in a compressed team - a lot of the issues come from the relationship between centre back and goalkeeper in that regard, as we have a goalkeeper that doesn't want to leave his line in or out of possession, which has tended to highlight our lack of pace defensively in recent years, so we'll have to see how that goes throughout the season with playing a higher line more consistently.
He always played in a deep defensive line (Hull, Leicester, United, England) and never showed anything that you’ve said. Trying to win the ball higher up while starting out in a deep defensive line, which is something that Maguire likes to do, has pretty much nothing to do with playing in a high line.

FatTails

Based on the entirety of their careers, Martinez and Varane.

Based on pre-season and where we currently stand…probably Martinez and MacGwyre

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maguire for sure, probably along with a fit Varane,

glasgow 21

Martinez and Bailly would be fun to watch
There is always a negative comments regarding our centre backs when the reality is the blind approach to Shaw's defending. Our left side is more than not a gaping hole for opposition to take advantage of when shaw is on the park. The centre backs are irrelevant as long as Shaw is in the team. I am not blind to his contribution in attack but it doesn't even out his frailties in his own half.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
If Martinez can adapt to English football, I feel like he will be United's guarantee starter. Since he's very aggressive defender and never afraid to make some challenges or tackles. He's also has great range of passing and composure of the ball. He will fit with anyone else from Harry, Lindelöf or Varane, since three of them are known more as sweeper type of defender. Martinez is also known for versatility as he could play cdm or fullbacks too.

Although he's only 5 foot 9, he has 70.5 percentages of aerial success rate. Which is probably great from cb( better percentages than elite center-backs like Dias, Koulibaly, Harry and De Ligt).

Even you compare him with 190+cm beasts like Matip, Botman, Mings or Jansson

Anyway, he came from different league, circumstances and level of difficulty, but the stats still show his quality in the air. We will know later about his quality in EPL.

Last edited:

worldinmotion66

There is always a negative comments regarding our centre backs when the reality is the blind approach to Shaw's defending. Our left side is more than not a gaping hole for opposition to take advantage of when shaw is on the park. The centre backs are irrelevant as long as Shaw is in the team. I am not blind to his contribution in attack but it doesn't even out his frailties in his own half.
He switches off far too often, that's for sure. But he's also not had a lot of protection for a few years now. Hopefully the penny has dropped and the attackers now know how hard they have to work. Today he was caught out of position and they broke quickly, not a great deal he could do when he's asked to bomb forward.

But as a former centre back (at no significant level at all), even I could see that Lindelof was in trouble. His body position was awful, too square on anticipating Bailey using his pace down the wing. That's mainly Lindelof not trusting his own pace, but it's really poor. He's not proactive enough in those situations, he needs to commit to a tackle sometimes. This is something that I expect Martinez to do well, and bailly has great athleticism in those situations too. I've always liked Victor, his positioning and ability on the ball is decent, but I'm starting to think that he's lacking in far too many areas to be relied upon.

Bailly would be a top defender if he could stay fit enough to get some consistency. We're seeing Varane struggle because of a stop start beginning to his united career. Hopefully both can stay fit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’m hoping it’s Varane/Maguire with Martinez.

Won’t know until the season is in full swing

Lee565

I can see it being Maguire and martinez, I think varane injury issues are cause for concern with ten hag.

Trex

ETH has made it clear Martinez is a signing to improve the team not just the squad, so I think he would be first choice LCB and Maguire first choice RCB.

cyril C

Varane ‘has done nothing to suggest he should start’ , but over the last 6 months Maguire has?! And I don’t have the answer? Give me a break. We’ll have to agree to disagree I’m afraid, as we’ve clearly been going to watch difference games.
When everyone is fit and available, Varane will be the preferred choice, but the key word is "available". One of the key attribute of Maguire is his availability. Even if Maguire end up as 3rd choice CB, he will still pick up 20-30 games regardless.

Panfc

I’m afraid it’s going to be Maguire and Martinez, as we’ve paid way too much for both of them. So I’m still hoping for a commanding central defender coming in, against all hopes really. One where Lindelof, Varane or Bailly don’t have to worry about and can just focus on their own game. But since that is not going to happen, I’m going for Lindelof and Bailly. Football and strength and speed.

MrSingh2002

Can't wait to see Martinez and Varane start together.

Hopefully it's them together on Sunday at Old Trafford. Waited for this since Jones and Smalling joined. Couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel but were finally there.

Two decent CBs with Lindelof and Maguire as backups and rotation pieces.

themanguydude

Realistically, it'll be Maguire/Martinez.

If anyone thinks otherwise, whether it's Varane/Lindelof/or even Bailly that will be partnering Martinez, prepare to be very disappointed when the season starts.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I actually think Martinez, choosing the number 6, will play as a holding midfielder, most likely replacing Fred in the immediate future. With Eriksen & FDJ either side.

romufc

I actually think Martinez, choosing the number 6, will play as a holding midfielder, most likely replacing Fred in the immediate future. With Eriksen & FDJ either side.
He chose 6 because the defensive numbers are not available. It seems moving Maguire to the right hand side is done on purpose to vacant LCB for Martinez.

In the game against Wrexham, he started at Cb too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think we will start with Maguire Martinez, hopefully it will be Varane Martinez.

Red_toad

Be interesting who ends up as the best partnership. As lord knows who will gel with who and all our defenders have very different attributes. Hopefully it's not Lindelof and Maguire again as the two mainstays.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
He chose 6 because the defensive numbers are not available. It seems moving Maguire to the right hand side is done on purpose to vacant LCB for Martinez.

In the game against Wrexham, he started at Cb too.
My bad, I stand corrected.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Best partnership currently is Maguire and Lindelgod,

with a view to it being Maguire and Martinez depending on how he settles in.

poleglass red

tough call. I think Varane's body is at the point, it will be niggly injury after another, hope I'm wrong, but I see him playing a few games, inured for a few, rinse and repeat. It's probably Maguire and whomever is fit. Depends also were ETH wants to play Martinez, I've a sneaky feeling he wants him to play cm, but injuries may mean he's Maguires central defence partner

Red_toad

Number 6 has traditionally been a centre halves number at United :houllier:
Indeed Pallister, Wes Brown & Stam. 5 & 6 were the traditional central pairing, then players got precious and wanted 'brand' numbers etc :rolleyes:

A-man

Realistically, it'll be Maguire/Martinez.

If anyone thinks otherwise, whether it's Varane/Lindelof/or even Bailly that will be partnering Martinez, prepare to be very disappointed when the season starts.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Martinez doesn’t start the season, since he is new in the team and will only have played some minutes in one pre season match before the league starts. Even if he is the coach’s favourite there is not much time to build a partnership with Maguire in that short time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Will be very interesting how this pans out.
People have at length pointed out their worries at bringing in a short, non fast centre back to the very physical premier league already.
Then you add in that Maguire is an 80m signing, and Varane is on 350k a week apparently. Leaving one of those benched each week is awkward.

Oranges038

Jones & Bailly

But only when they are both fully fit and on form at the same time.