What's the story with Lucas Piazon?

arthurka

I saw his name mentioned on Reddit and immediately checked wiki to see what he was doing. He's still with Chelsea and still on loan every season for the last 8 seasons with 7 different clubs from 6 different countries...

- 12/13: Malaga
- 13/14: Vitesse
- 14/15: Frankfurt
- 15/16: Reading
- 16/18: Fulham
- 18/19: Chievo
- 19/20: Rio Ave

The guy is 26. Is he happy backpacking around Europe every year? Is this some extreme long-term project where Chelsea think his potential will finally be unlocked after a decade of loans? It's so weird to me.
Can he play on the right?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Surely all these teams aren't covering his full wages AND paying large loan fees? I just don't see how this method benefits him or Chelsea.
He gets the security of a decent contract from Chelsea, Chelsea makes money from the loan fees and has a potential of a transfer fee if he does well.

forevrared

He gets the security of a decent contract from Chelsea, Chelsea makes money from the loan fees and has a potential of a transfer fee if he does well.
But are they really making money from the loan fees? I have a hard time believing clubs like Fulham, Reading, Rio Ave, et al are matching whatever silly wages he's probably on at Chelsea and paying a fee on top of that. Unless they're covering the entirety of the wages, the loan fees aren't really profit.

duffer

Scout
But are they really making money from the loan fees? I have a hard time believing clubs like Fulham, Reading, Rio Ave, et al are matching whatever silly wages he's probably on at Chelsea and paying a fee on top of that. Unless they're covering the entirety of the wages, the loan fees aren't really profit.
He's not on silly money and the loan fees are not crazy. It's a small trickle of money in multiplied by the number out on loan.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They had that goalie Matej Delac doing the same:
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2009–2010Inter Zaprešić38(0)
2010–2018Chelsea0(0)
2010–2011Vitesse (loan)0(0)
2011–2012Dynamo České Budějovice (loan)1(0)
2012–2013Vitória de Guimarães (loan)0(0)
2012–2013Vitória de Guimarães II (loan)1(0)
2013Inter Zaprešić (loan)14(0)
2013Vojvodina (loan)10(0)
2014Sarajevo (loan)7(0)
2014–2015Arles-Avignon (loan)11(0)
2015–2016Sarajevo (loan)26(0)
2016–2017Excel Mouscron (loan)28(0)
2018–AC Horsens38(0)

Bit of a legend on Football Manager 2010.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I remember him scoring a great freekick for Frankfurt. That's it.

Luke1995

He's extended his contract multiple times (including last summer).
He is still young enough that if he shows good form in one of these loans, Lampard could want to bring him back there.

Welbeckham

He is still young enough that if he shows good form in one of these loans, Lampard could want to bring him back there.
Never gonna happen. He’s 27 in few months and his loan clubs are just getting worse and worse.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wouldn't you like to know.

hmchan

"No clue". The answer is in my post that you quoted!
Could the minimal loan fees really cover the players' wages and sign-on fees? van Ginkel hasn't played a game since April 2018, I doubt there is much interest in him.

duffer

Scout
Could the minimal loan fees really cover the players' wages and sign-on fees? van Ginkel hasn't played a game since April 2018, I doubt there is much interest in him.
Chelsea won't pay the wages when they're on loan.

If there was no financial benefit, Chelsea would not keep doing this for years and years.

Based Adnan

Fair enough, he must be happy with the arrangement then!
Well not really. He wanted to leave Chelsea but they wouldn't let him leave for free as other clubs would need to sacrifice the fee to address his wages. Only reason he signed a new deal is so he could go out on loan again instead of wasting a year doing nothing at Chelsea. He had 1 year left and signed for an extra year just to get football.

He said this earlier on this season:
"My time at Chelsea is over. I'm 25, I've been on loan several times.

"I've been at Chelsea since 2011, I've been on loan almost all over Europe. I'm tired of playing here and there, I need a place where I can feel at home. I want to know that in July I will return to the same place, to the same house.

"I'd have a good season on loan, but I'd come back and was soon loaned again. There was no point in going out on loan, playing well, coming back, not being used and being loaned again.

"There comes a time in your career that makes no sense anymore. By the way, I said exactly that three years ago and it didn't go so well at Chelsea, it generated some discomfort."

Luke1995

Never gonna happen. He’s 27 in few months and his loan clubs are just getting worse and worse.
Well, for some reason, Chelsea still wants to have him in a contract. Lampard was there as a player when Piazon used to train with them.

Stadjer

Every Eredivisie club except Ajax would take him. Wouldnt suprise me to see him at psv again

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Van Ginkel hasn't actually been out on loan since 2018 has he? He surely hasn't been injured all that time?

On occasions it can backfire a little. Player loses a bit of motivation or gets loads of injuries and suddenly not that many clubs actually want the player on loan so he becomes a drain on the wage bill. I assume Van Ginkel took a massive wage cut with the latest extension he signed.

If Chelsea actually loan out Danny Drinkwater next year after the season he's just had then that will be one of the greatest loan outs of all time, guy is simply finished at the top level and must be on a bomb in wages given he cost 30m.

SAFMUTD

Another "victim" of Chelsea's youth net. Its as close as it can be to football prostitution.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He’s an investment vehicle.

Just like people rent out homes and flats, Chelsea rent him out (and a host of other players) and collect loan fees. The ethics and morals of this is questionable when you’re moving a human being around like this. Unsure what can really be done. I think I read recently FIFA or UEFA is planning to cap the number of players out on loan from a single club. I think one of the Italian clubs maybe Udinese had something insane like 89 players out on loan.
The cap is true and has already been implemented I think. It just doesn’t affect us because academy trained players are exempt. We rarely sign young players anymore, that’s mostly city doing that. I think like 90-95% of the school boys are local these days which makes our academy even more incredible really.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
After 9 and a half years with Chelsea, 3 senior appearances and being loaned to 7 different clubs he has finally moved on permanently to Braga

onemanarmy

After 9 and a half years with Chelsea, 3 senior appearances and being loaned to 7 different clubs he has finally moved on permanently to Braga
Good for him. Chelsea legend, their longest serving player of the entire squad.