Other What's your Favorite Podcast ?

Jev

Seems like I'm the first person to say Heavyweight, which surprises me. Basically an improved version of Mystery Show, if you've heard that, with the brilliantly deadpan funny Jonathan Goldstein helping people reconcile something unresolved from their past. 'Scott' and 'Gregor' are a couple of standout gateway episodes.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Seems like I'm the first person to say Heavyweight, which surprises me. Basically an improved version of Mystery Show, if you've heard that, with the brilliantly deadpan funny Jonathan Goldstein helping people reconcile something unresolved from their past. 'Scott' and 'Gregor' are a couple of standout gateway episodes.
Heavyweight is absolutely brilliant. I've listened to most of them multiple times.

Is Mystery Show worth checking out? Feel like so much of what makes Heavyweight great is Jonathan himself.

Jev

Heavyweight is absolutely brilliant. I've listened to most of them multiple times.

Is Mystery Show worth checking out? Feel like so much of what makes Heavyweight great is Jonathan himself.
Yeah, Mystery Show is good. Starlee Kine the host has her own quirky charm and is a particularly great interviewer. She once made the single greatest celebrity interview ever with Phil Collins on a This American Life show (episode called Break Up).

I'd start with Belt Buckle, which I think is one of the best podcast episodes of all time. Continue with Source Code or Britney if you like it and then listen to the last three if you're still hooked.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anyone checked out that Gervais one you have to pay for? It's apparently breaking all kinds of records.
The one he does with Sam Harris?

Yeah, I listened to it when they had it for free at one time. I'm a fan of both of them, so I liked it. He basically asks Sam (who's a pretty smart dude) some interesting (and sometimes frivolous) questions and he answers them. It's a pretty simple format but I found it entertaining. Haven't listened to season two of it though.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Bumping this to once again say how great Heavyweight is

Highly recommend. The 2 two-part episodes this season have been incredible stories.

GueRed

Talking Sopranos.

The Totally Italian Football Show hosted by the legend James Richardson reliving Serie A's golden era is absolute quality.

Dont listen to many others tbh

Lebowski

Chapo Trap House
Cumtown
Streetfight Radio
TrueAnon
Episode One
Blowback
A World to Win
Pod Yourself a Gun
ACFM
Novara FM

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If you're an established radio presence then jumping ship to dedicated podcasting where you have way more freedom than on the likes of the BBC must be very tempting.

lsd

The Oracle
Stitcher is closing at the end of this month sadly.

One reason why is I cancelled Stitcher promotion after a month a couple of years ago but have still been getting premium for free ever since and apparently this was the case for a lot of users

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Qanon Anonymous.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Pardon My Take remains the best sports podcast by a mile - mostly because they have limitless material as half the point of it is to make fun of how self-important sports media is these days.

They literally created the name by splicing the names of ESPN's two most popular programs at the time - then made fun of the inevitable legal action ESPN tried to take.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Being genuine? Or a joke about having 80k posts on an internet forum?
Genuine. Probably half of those posts would be 20 years ago when the interwebs were new and wildly fun. Now I post a couple of times a day on average and I pop in to read or modmin briefly between meetings. The only time I'd have to listen would be in the hour or so that I watch TV to unwind before bed. I'm also not a fan of listening to things like audio books or talk radio anyway.

GueRed

I don't listen to podcasts much tbh

A couple of years ago listened to Talking Sopranos alongside re-watching the TV series. Quality.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Genuine. Probably half of those posts would be 20 years ago when the interwebs were new and wildly fun. Now I post a couple of times a day on average and I pop in to read or modmin briefly between meetings. The only time I'd have to listen would be in the hour or so that I watch TV to unwind before bed. I'm also not a fan of listening to things like audio books or talk radio anyway.
Walking the dog? Gardening? Commuting? DIY jobs at home? Assembling IKEA flat pack furniture?!?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Walking the dog? 1hr per day or more
Gardening? I have no garden
Commuting? Only 20 mins, 1 or 2 days per month
DIY jobs at home? Currently nothing
Assembling IKEA flat pack furniture?!? Also nothing.

Might change if/when we leave Sydney in the next 6 months ish.

Bloody dogs. :)

I also like no distractions when I do walk them. I don't even like to listen to music. Recharge time.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For United I quite like Talk of the Devils podcast. Especially when Anka is on it, he's a good guy. Mitten is a little too self obsessed but very knowledgable of course. Good group though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For United I quite like Talk of the Devils podcast. Especially when Anka is on it, he's a good guy. Mitten is a little too self obsessed but very knowledgable of course. Good group though.
Yep, that's the best United podcast I've found. Tbf though because I'm on this site I don't really need a United podcast, as a lot of what they talk about will be what we read here anyway.