What's your mid-season assessment?

EtH

1) What were your expectations for the season before the season started and why?

A clear shift in the way we play toward progressive, high-pressing and possession-based football. Players played on merit rather than reputation and a few surprise performances like Dalot and thankfully Rashford so far. To look like a side which is being coached up and see improvement in the side as a whole and individuals like the aforementioned and even Scott fecking McTominay. This was all due to ten Hag’s arrival, who I obviously rate very highly. And in the end, a top four push I suppose. We were still a very flawed side. And then there was the prospect of dealing with Ronaldo. So while I was hopeful I just saw top four as too much to ask at the time as a requirement anyway.

2) What are your expectations for the season now and why?

To continue seeing the things I had hoped for and have one or two youngsters blooded in to top it off. We have done so well over the past few months. The signs are very positive. I really think we should be making top four so long as we sign Memphis or some other decent, stopgap forward in January. Though I still don’t view it as a requirement.

Feel free to give the season thus far a rating out of ten too.

I would rate the season at a solid 8/10 so far. Only the first two matches and the pure stupidity of Cristiano bloody Ronaldo keep it from being even higher. The manager has been everything I hoped for and more so far.