What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

Stacks

Agreed. He was having an excellent season until a few weeks ago. He’s played a lot. The rest should help.
Not a single player in our squad has had an excellent season. Not a single one. Not even Bruno. Standards are on the floor right now.
For me he’s seemingly one of the only consistent DM’s we’ve been linked with that’s a true 6 that’s comfortable distributing the ball and carrying from deep. He’s not a world beater but he’s a type of midfielder we haven’t had since Matic’s first season, and would solve the constant merry-go-round we have at the position currently

50m would be a solid price. I’m of the opinion that this is the single biggest upgrade the squad needs currently. Games we struggle in all stem from the lack of ability to control the game from the back, or agaisnt smaller sides that just give Fred acres of space and dare him to create a chance or offer a threat while hounding our more dangerous players.
Do you think Rice deals with that pass Fred failed to deal with on a regular basis? I haven't studied much of him from a technical point of view so its a genuine question
I recall when England were getting beat in the nations league by Holland, this was pinpointed as the exact weakness in England midfield where players like Rice were not able to take the ball on the half term and didn't provide our defence (Stones, Maguire) with a reliable outlet to offload the ball to so the passing out of the defence tactic did not work for us under pressure

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Lower league dross

——-Matic——
Bruno—Pogba

City, other big games etc

—Scott-Pogba
——-Bruno——-

Waynne

----------Matic-------
---VdB--------Bruno---

Van De Beek has that bit of creativity so we won't be completely reliant on Bruno.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Declan Rice, Pogba, Bruno.

When in form, Pogba-Bruno partnership is magical. We simply don't have a good defensive MF so we have to buy one, choosing one from who we have is pointless.

jem

----------Matic-------
---VdB--------Bruno---

Van De Beek has that bit of creativity so we won't be completely reliant on Bruno.
No Pogba? For me, it's Matic, Pogba, and Bruno. I know Matic is past it, but I still prefer him to the calamity that is Fred. McTominay should be a backup to Pogba.

pacifictheme

Need pogba in there to help bruno. Makes a huge difference when he plays. No idea aon the third, think mctominay is the best of the 3 but least suited to sitting

NICanRed

And now for something completely different.............. How about Maguire as DM behind Pogba and Bruno. He can defend (but is a bit slow on the turn). He likes the odd sortie forward as he used to do with Hull before defence became his priority and his passing isn't half bad. This would require Lindelof and Bailly to be fit as CBs. Bailly seems a bit fragile perhaps because like Jones he is a bit inclined to sacrifice his body a little too generously.

Bruno
Pogba DVB
McTominay

or if we decide to let one of the best talents in his age group develop.

Rashford Martial Amad
Pogba Bruno
McTominay

DON’T PANIC ™

A team like Utd shouldn’t be fielding different midfielders depending on the opposition. Injuries aside, City don’t, Liverpool don’t, Madrid don’t, Barcelona didn’t. Ferguson didn’t.
When available, we should be starting our strongest 11 almost every game. Take players off when the result is no longer in doubt. That’s how you win things. We have seen far too much rotation in recent years.

Our strongest midfield 3 is currently Bruno, Pogba and McTominay.

McT is not the finished article, his passing is erratic but still a lot better than Fred. Matic and Mata are done.

NoPace

Pogba-------Bruno-
-----McTominay----

I think McTominay's size and mobility mean he could do well enough as a holder if told to stick to that and not go forward. Doesn't give the ball away as much as Fred and he has the same sort of length as a lot of really effective #6 types that make them good in the air and able to disrupt attacks in that area.

Hughie77

Fred, Pogba, Bruno. Mctom for Fred if it has to be. We need another CM with Quality to come in as well.

Abraxas

I would probably go for Pogba, Fred and Bruno most of the time. I think having Fred's work-rate is crucial alongside Pogba. McTominay works hard too but I feel Fred is exceptional in that particular aspect.

The issue is it's not the most positionally convincing partnership to be holding the fort in front of the defence when we are under pressure. It also has the same problem as every other combination we have when Pogba plays there, which is that Pogba has very limited scope to impact the game higher up the pitch otherwise our build up leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm not so convinced that Rice answers the problems we have. I do think he would improve us, but for what West Ham would demand, I don't really see it as a sensible option. He looks a good footballer, physical, decent PL experience, can pass a bit, but he has plenty of games he doesn't get on the ball enough and is fairly quiet. It's okay having those anonymous outings for this West Ham side but to ask him to come in and link our play seems a massive ask to me, I think he's some way off that. Admittedly it's not as if many options are immediately coming to mind but you'd have to be pretty certain Rice is the answer due to the scale of that particular deal.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Anything with Fred at 6 is wrong.

It’s McTominay, Pogba & Bruno.

DFreshKing

I was going to start a thread about my midfield three but I'll put it here. I'd love to see Pogba, DVB and Fernandes in a proper three. I see no reason why Fernandes can't play a little deeper and the quality of passing between the three could out weigh and defensive risk. All of them have played in a midfield before and if they are intelligent and cover for each other I think it would be a strong midfield

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
---------Bruno
Pogba-McTominay

Matic can go with our well wishes. I really like Fred, but as a squad player. VDB too. If we sell Pogba, then we need someone like Brozovic.

Redlyn

I was going to start a thread about my midfield three but I'll put it here. I'd love to see Pogba, DVB and Fernandes in a proper three. I see no reason why Fernandes can't play a little deeper and the quality of passing between the three could out weigh and defensive risk. All of them have played in a midfield before and if they are intelligent and cover for each other I think it would be a strong midfield
Even if we ignore the fact dvb has not showed anything in either direction, someone needs to be in there who's main job is to protect the back 4, and they are actually decent at it. I would pick any of Matic, McT or Fred ahead of dvb.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Mct-Pogba
Bruno

Fred and DVB as backup.