What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

DoomSlayer

When everyone is fit, I'd go with McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Fernandes, Martial and Rashford as the front 6.

Use Matic in some away games or against teams that rely more on physicality and route one football.

romufc

1. No you get in based on ability, of which Pogba has a lot more of than Fred and especially McTominay.

2. So what if they've grafted their way in? Top level football isn't like your regular job at Aldi stacking shelves, where graft and effort is all that counts. Ability matters (which is why more able players cost a lot more money and earn a lot more than their less talented contemporaries). It's the same in every skilled profession.

3. Over 3-4 games. People were sucking off Pogba like a lollypop when he was new too.

1. That's why players like Tarabt, Quaresma, Ravel Morrison are WC too right, they have more ability than most. Quaresma had more ability than CR7.

2. Yes, but when you are a top lawyer for example and keep talking about the cases you have won in the past and in other companies, never producing in your current company then complaining the other staff are the reason and the company doesnt have the same ambition you do. Look at Liverpool as a team, alot of their players individually have less ability than some of the teams in the PL, yet they are top.

3. I agree it is a small sample, we will see at the end of the season.

Skills

Snitch
1. That's why players like Tarabt, Quaresma, Ravel Morrison are WC too right, they have more ability than most. Quaresma had more ability than CR7.

2. Yes, but when you are a top lawyer for example and keep talking about the cases you have won in the past and in other companies, never producing in your current company then complaining the other staff are the reason and the company doesnt have the same ambition you do. Look at Liverpool as a team, alot of their players individually have less ability than some of the teams in the PL, yet they are top.

1. It's stupid to compare Pogba to those guys. He has far more pedigree than all of them put together and was by far our best player last season itself. Which is why if he leaves he'll end up at a better/bigger club than ours.

2. You mean while he's injured? Because when he's been available he's been much better than the guys who are meant to be taking his spot. And a big reason he's not available, is the club/management's gross mismanagement/mishandling of his injury.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The only question is who would best give balance to Pogba and Bruno. Who’s the third person.

3KDré

I would go with Fred Bruno and Pogba against teams lower down, then maybe push Pogba to the left (with Williams behind him) against bigger teams and add McTominay in bigger games.

Mihai

People actually leaving a fit Pogba out. Can't shake my head enough.

The Caf has adopted this random and dumb mentality where we should start replacing our talented players with others rather than adding on top of them. So bloody dumb, then again it's expected from these boards with over exited posters.
I think having a midfield that works is more important that playing someone because he is talented.

I know it's early days, and we will be in a better position to evaluate after Everton and City games, but if we continue in the same direction like we did since the Burnley game, Pogba shouldn't automatically be in the starting XI as soon as he is fit.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Not sure world cup winner and 4 time Serie A winner Paul Pobga, who is sought after by teams like Madrid and Juventus, and has made a FIFPro world 11, is comparable to Ravel Morrison or Adel Taraabt.

Andersons Dietician

Is Difficult because you would think 433 with Pogba and Bruno as 8’s but you then need a DM and I’m. Not sure Fred or McT are that. Matic can do it but then how on current form can Fred be left out of any starting 11. Same for McT if he gets back to what he was doing before his injury.

Diamond seems the only way unless we put Fred in as DM and Shaw or Bissaka tuck in with him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Mctominay Fred
Fernandes

I don't think its nearly as much of a dilemma as people are saying. Mctominay and Fred have been our best two midfielders for a year now. Fernandes has to play.

Matic has done well lately but lacks mobility and tempo which Mctominay and Fred both have. Pogba is too often a liability in a more deep role which leaves him competing with Fernandes or having to change his game significantly, and his ego will lose both of those battles for him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We're going to be playing twice a week, every week and people still just want to think in terms of a fixed XI regardless of opposition.

romufc

1. It's stupid to compare Pogba to those guys. He has far more pedigree than all of them put together and was by far our best player last season itself. Which is why if he leaves he'll end up at a better/bigger club than ours.

2. You mean while he's injured? Because when he's been available he's been much better than the guys who are meant to be taking his spot. And a big reason he's not available, is the club/management's gross mismanagement/mishandling of his injury.
Why is it? because it fits with your narrative this time around? he was our best player last season and we finished 6th. Do you want to go have a look at our players player of the year and fans player of the year and see who won those?

I think he is a very talented player, but for the better of this club, he needs to leave.

Who was meant to take his spot? I don't think anyone was, hence we didnt sing Bruno in the summer.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think Pogba could do a job replacing Rashford on the left of a front three, if he comes back. He’d give some strength for Martial to play off, then sell him and move on.

romufc

sought after by teams like Madrid and Juventus,
Are they? yet they only value him at £50m. In comparison to fees they pay to world class players such as Ronaldo £105m, Hazard £100m get the gist?

I guess if you are a World Cup winner you are sought out by those teams, yet Giroud is struggling to get into the first 11 of Chelsea. Hes a 4 time Fa cup winner, EL, WC, French League too.

AltiUn

Are they? yet they only value him at £50m. In comparison to fees they pay to world class players such as Ronaldo £105m, Hazard £100m get the gist?

I guess if you are a World Cup winner you are sought out by those teams, yet Giroud is struggling to get into the first 11 of Chelsea. Hes a 4 time Fa cup winner, EL, WC, French League too.
I'm sure we'll see this summer how highly they value him, strictly speaking even if they only value him at £50m that still means he's sought after by them, just not at the price we're requesting.

Giroud's 33 and his career is winding down, Pogba is 27 about to hit his prime, you really are awful with these comparisons.

onemata

why does anyone think that Pogba is ever going to play for united again ? This is a player who has barely played this season and is obviously looking to leave and although he looked our best player on the occasions he did play that was in a very poor united team before the recent winning upsurge with Fernandez showing what a great player can do for a team in a few weeks and with Maguire and Wan Bissaka finally finding their feet , Bailly and Mcsauce playing again and even Tony looking slightly interested . If he is so wonderful why do a lot of posters think his market value has declined so badly . If he does come back from this mysterious injury let him prove that he wants to play and can perform at his best all the time and not only when the mood takes him . If anyone wants him for £90 m let him go . Raiola needs the money apparently .

thepolice123

We're going to be playing twice a week, every week and people still just want to think in terms of a fixed XI regardless of opposition.
Every team has 2 midfielders who start almost every game and play the most minutes. For City its KDB and Rodri, 3rd place Gundogan plays significantly lesser minutes and have more sub appearances than the first two combined. For Liverpool, its the same story for Fabinho compared to Henderson and Wijnaldum.

Pogba is one of the best players in the world. I really doubt he would want to be getting minutes equal to Fabinho or Gundogan.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Mctominay Fred
Fernandes

I don't think its nearly as much of a dilemma as people are saying. Mctominay and Fred have been our best two midfielders for a year now. Fernandes has to play.

Matic has done well lately but lacks mobility and tempo which Mctominay and Fred both have. Pogba is too often a liability in a more deep role which leaves him competing with Fernandes or having to change his game significantly, and his ego will lose both of those battles for him.
This

romufc

I'm sure we'll see this summer how highly they value him, strictly speaking even if they only value him at £50m that still means he's sought after by them, just not at the price we're requesting.

Giroud's 33 and his career is winding down, Pogba is 27 about to hit his prime, you really are awful with these comparisons.

Ronaldo was 33 when he moved to Juventus? £105m btw. Mbappe is valued at £200m before he even hits his prime.

What makes you say they are after Pogba anyway, because his agent says so?

SlimDizzle075

McTominay might just be the most overrated player to have ever played for us. Imagine leaving Paul Pogba out for him.
Thats funny as I see him as the most underrated, the kid can play ball. most of you guys will eat your words on that kid in a few years time. a lot like the "whats the point in fred?" posts..

Thepinhead

At his best,he’s a starter but I do agree the balance of the team comes first. Could work with both he, and Bruno further forward behind the front 2
Ye, I agree. But I think it will be situational. Not sure we have good enough attacking fullbacks for that formation. Not in all games atleast...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ronaldo was 33 when he moved to Juventus? £105m btw. Mbappe is valued at £200m before he even hits his prime.

Not to mention that Real were interested last summer but clearly rated him below other signings in terms of importance. They found the money for Hazard but not Pogba.

And that was after his most productive season for us. Not after nearly a whole year of him literally doing absolutely nothing.

It's genuinely baffling how people still persist with pining their hopes on him. At this point even if he was as good as they thought, he's been out so long he has to earn/prove his way back into the first team rather than it being automatic. Same as any other player.

bsCallout

Thats funny as I see him as the most underrated, the kid can play ball. most of you guys will eat your words on that kid in a few years time. a lot like the "whats the point in fred?" posts..
I agree with this. So underrated on his technical ability.

James Ward

Fred Bruno Matic for me and switch Pogba out to the left like he was at Juventus, Rashford center and a new attacking RM.

Pogba is a liability if not play number 10 or as as left winger.

AltiUn

Ronaldo's one of the greatest players of all time and went to Juventus off the back of a 44 goal in 44 game season. Mbappe's value is as high as it is as he's 21 and scored 39 goals last year, is on 25 this year and is considered a generational talent. I'm not entirely sure what your point is at this point, we've now somehow made it to Mbappe and Ronaldo from you comparing Pogba to Ravel Morrison and Adel Taraabt, you picked one point in my inital comment and proceeded to ignore the rest to go on some peculiar tangent about value, I just don't think you know how to defend your original point about likening Pogba to other wasted talents.

Well, Fabrizio Romano has reported Juventus's interest and Jose Luis Sanchez has reported Real's, two notably reliable journalists. Anyway, I won't be furthering this discussion with you, neither of us are going to agree on the matter.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't think he's either. Just think he looked a bit daunted when he first came into the team which meant he didn't shoe much of what he can do. Since he's grown in confidence he's looked a lot better and people have recognised it.

Have to hold my hands up and say I didn't rate him at all until probably around this time last year, but he's been probably our most consistent player since.

DickDastardly

It sure seems to me that Fred and Bruno have cemented their place in our midfield, and Mctom is inches away from it.

Only if someone gets injured or goes badly missing in form should we think about replacing them.

We havent seen Pogba play the whole season though, if he can be bothered to show up now we're getting better, who knows...maybe there is still a place for him.

OldTrevil

Fred has been doing most of our DM duties very well this season, but I see some people still not giving him his credit. He will get even better once his position and the team shape is settled going forward.

Against low block teams, I'd go with 433:
Back 5
Fred
Bruno Pogba
Mason Martial Marcus
Against tougher teams, 442 diamond:
Back 5
Fred
McT Pogba
Bruno
Martial Rashford

ManchesterYoda

I think our strongest team would be Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw back 4. Fred and McTominay in front of that back 4. Then 2 wide forwards Rashford and Greenwood with 2 no.10s Pogba and Bruno. Pogba and Bruno rotate playing as false 9, like Firmino does for Liverpool. Either can go wide too with Rashford or Greenwood moving central. Main back up players for each position would be Martial, Mata, Matic, Williams and maybe Tuanzebe.
Rashford - Pogba - Greenwood or Rashford - Bruno - Greenwood. Not set in stone, very fluid.

tjb

Not sure world cup winner and 4 time Serie A winner Paul Pobga, who is sought after by teams like Madrid and Juventus, and has made a FIFPro world 11, is comparable to Ravel Morrison or Adel Taraabt.
Ozil is

Fussball13251

It isn't a bad team now if they are all motivated to playing. Fullbacks need to be more calm and collective on the ball but aside from that there is no reason way they can't finish top or second... esp with even more squad depth next season.

Pogba, Bruno, McTominay, etc. Fergie would have this team playing attractively week in week out.

The goalie didn't even movie. He's like Michael Carrick
/watch?v=gpptWBlfO_M

Michael Carrick /watch?v=iNAmfRDOFNU

The way they pressed and this finish shows the potential if everybody is motivated.

Versus Everton. A pumped up Bruno, McTominay, Martial... we will win the game.

Last edited:

dutchred

Personally I would use 2 systems one at home and one away and assuming everyone is fit
Away I would use a 442
AWB Maguire Shaw Williams
Fred Mac Bruno Pogba
Martial Rashford

Home
Laird Maguire Shaw William
Fred Pogba Bruno
Mason Martial Rashford

Pennywise

Fred and bruno. Dont really mind who the other is. Pogba if he's on form, if however he's doing his usual stumbling about on the ball giving it away constantly routine then someone else

troylocker

Fred has been doing most of our DM duties very well this season, but I see some people still not giving him his credit. He will get even better once his position and the team shape is settled going forward.

Against low block teams, I'd go with 433:
Back 5
Fred
Bruno Pogba
Mason Martial Marcus
Against tougher teams, 442 diamond:
Back 5
Fred
McT Pogba
Bruno
Martial Rashford
This. But with the variant of 4231 against the low block. Put Pogba a little deeper role.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
McTominay holding, Fred box to box and Bruno acting as attacking midfielder. Not only is it very natural, but also very balanced midfield.

Matic for McT
Pogba for either of Bruno/Fred

Rather easy to keep everyone happy.