What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

romufc

Not to mention that Real were interested last summer but clearly rated him below other signings in terms of importance. They found the money for Hazard but not Pogba.

And that was after his most productive season for us. Not after nearly a whole year of him literally doing absolutely nothing.

It's genuinely baffling how people still persist with pining their hopes on him. At this point even if he was as good as they thought, he's been out so long he has to earn/prove his way back into the first team rather than it being automatic. Same as any other player.
Exactly, they were interested but never put money where their mouth was, I wonder why. Teams like Real, Barca, Juve, when they want a player they will find the money.

9/10 times if Real want a player they will get the player.

I was one of them at the start of the season and even during the season we have seen we lack alot of creativity without Pogba. However; as the season has gone on I have realised it isnt Pogba we miss, it is any creative player. If we can sign 2/3 creative players, we will not miss Pogba one bit.

Some people talk about Pogba as if he is the best midfielder out there yet get salty when we compared to best attackers such as KDB, Mbappe, Mane and the like saying they are generational talents.

The thing about Pogba is when the team is playing well, he will play well and when the team isn't he wouldn't carry a team like you expect players of his calibre to.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If everyone is fit naming a midfield without Pogba is simply stupid.
Do people just forget how shite he is a majority of the time?

IF he actually wants to play for us and IF he is willing to do his job properly more often than one in every ten games, he's our best midfielder...but he's been here 4 years and this has not happened. 4 years is a very long time to wait for someone to start playing well and pretend that them not playing well isn't the norm.

djembatheking

Bruno, McTominay and Fred. Start Matic the odd game to save legs . Use Pogba off the bench for last ten mins to rest players .

onemata

i can't imagine that the shrinking violet that is Pogba would be happy to be on the bench for anyone . I know that he seems to be mates with Blingard but really he is not going to accept playing second fiddle as Lingard does or even second violin .

ManchesterYoda

IF he actually wants to play for us and IF he is willing to do his job properly more often than one in every ten games, he's our best midfielder...but he's been here 4 years and this has not happened. 4 years is a very long time to wait for someone to start playing well and pretend that them not playing well isn't the norm.
18/19 season 34 starts 13 goals 9 assists average rating 7.31
17/18 season 25 starts 6 goals 10 assists average rating 7.48
16/17 season 29 starts 5 goals 4 assists average rating 7.72

You don't get an average rating of above 7/10 by only playing well once every 10 games. Lingard is a good example of a 6/10 player that plays well once every 10 games, not Pogba. You saying Pogba is shite majority of the time is utter BULLSHIT. If you want him gone because he doesn't want to be here, FINE, say that.

Emrethis

No fixed midfield 3. All of our options are good. Fred/McT/Bruno is arguably equally as good as Fred/Pogba/Bruno. Matic is a decent option as well. Whoever is on form plays. On current form though, our best is obviously Fred/McT/Bruno.

hobbers

Pogba is gone in a few months regardless of his injury, why even include him?

The only midfield 3 we should be thinking about is McTominay, Fred and Bruno. Because we don't have any other midfielders good enough/who are staying beyond this season.

Mani

Considering everyone fit and the players played for us this season I would go with McTominay, Fred and Bruno leaving Matic and Pogba to bench.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He actually isn’t ‘shite most of the time.’ It’s a myth perpetuated by those who don’t like him. Jose made him something of a scape goat to cover up his own tactical failings. Some on here bought that. Most of the time he’s played with underperforming players. It hasn’t helped.

He’ll be needed for the run in. Ole knows it

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Thats funny as I see him as the most underrated, the kid can play ball. most of you guys will eat your words on that kid in a few years time. a lot like the "whats the point in fred?" posts..
Would you play Pogba as defensive midfielder instead of McTominay? Because clearly that's the only option.

Green_Red

We have actual midfield selection issues when we have a full squad. Pogba and Bruno have to start, then Fred and McTominay selected in rotation based on the opposition.

AndyMUFC

We'll get plenty of games to give them all playing time.

McTominay/Fred rotating with Pogba/Bruno in front in smaller games and then in bigger games give the diamond a go with Bruno at the tip of it and the forwards pulling wide.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We have actual midfield selection issues when we have a full squad. Pogba and Bruno have to start, then Fred and McTominay selected in rotation based on the opposition.
Nice issue to have though isn’t it?
Plus it’s not as if Matic has been that bad

noodlehair

"It's like..."
18/19 season 34 starts 13 goals 9 assists average rating 7.31
17/18 season 25 starts 6 goals 10 assists average rating 7.48
16/17 season 29 starts 5 goals 4 assists average rating 7.72

You don't get an average rating of above 7/10 by only playing well once every 10 games. Lingard is a good example of a 6/10 player that plays well once every 10 games, not Pogba. You saying Pogba is shite majority of the time is utter BULLSHIT. If you want him gone because he doesn't want to be here, FINE, say that.
These are redcafe ratings. Where people will vote Pogba up just for being Pogba. His second season for example where a majority of people were determined to blame Mourinho for Pogba failing to do his job week after week.

The fact he clearly wants to leave is another pretty big flaw in the idea of wanting to rely on him in any form, but the fact he isn't reliable and rarely plays anywhere near his best, rarely puts the team ahead of his own interests, and contrary to what people claim, doesn't actually lift the team up a level, is another flaw.

His best season was last season. The TEAM had an awful season, won nothing and finished 6th. He also during the season created endless hassle, helped get his manager sacked and generally behaved like a child.

It's actually quite annoying to see people willing to slag off our players And manager on here yet jump to the defence of someone who is quite literally taking the piss and isn't even that good.

ManchesterYoda

These are redcafe ratings. Where people will vote Pogba up just for being Pogba. His second season for example where a majority of people were determined to blame Mourinho for Pogba failing to do his job week after week.

The fact he clearly wants to leave is another pretty big flaw in the idea of wanting to rely on him in any form, but the fact he isn't reliable and rarely plays anywhere near his best, rarely puts the team ahead of his own interests, and contrary to what people claim, doesn't actually lift the team up a level, is another flaw.

His best season was last season. The TEAM had an awful season, won nothing and finished 6th. He also during the season created endless hassle, helped get his manager sacked and generally behaved like a child.

It's actually quite annoying to see people willing to slag off our players And manager on here yet jump to the defence of someone who is quite literally taking the piss and isn't even that good.
Whoscored ratings not RedCafe. I don't pay attention to RedCafe ratings as every player, even the bad players, are underrated.
Whether he wants to leave or lacks dedication is a different matter. He hasn't played shite for 4 years is what I'm saying. If he wants to go, GET RID. I don't know for certain if this is the case so I am prepared to make him part of our team next season because he is one of our best players. I want a team of quality players such as Pogba, not garbage players such as Lingard. The thing they might have in common is attitude, but they aren't comparable in terms of ability. one is very good and one is very shit.

Walters_19_MuFc

A team with McTominay, Fred and 2 fullbacks as limited/unproductive as AWB and Shaw seems shockingly unbalanced to me. You're setting your forwards and Bruno up for failure, but I'm guessing then you'll just blame them for not being good enough.
Lets not put words in my mouth. It may seem unbalanced to you, but it seems to have worked. This isn't based on the couple of games neither. Fred and McTominay proved to be a good midfield before the introduction of Bruno. We just needed an attacking midfielder like Bruno or Pogba (when he's fit) to find that final pass. That said, I have previously said in this thread that I would like to see Pogba with Bruno and one of Fred/McTominay to add that extra creativity.

reddevil702

Fred behind Pogba and Bruno is easily the best. Having McTominay as a back-up would be a luxury since he's very versatile.

Sea-Cow

Pogba is gone in a few months regardless of his injury, why even include him?

The only midfield 3 we should be thinking about is McTominay, Fred and Bruno. Because we don't have any other midfielders good enough/who are staying beyond this season.
I would include him because he is our best player and we are still trying to finish in the top 5, plus advance as far as we can in the two cups. Having a fit Pogba out there will help that and we should not be looking to spite our face.

Deal with his transfer in the summer, if he and his agent insist, but for this season we should be trying to maximize our results.

Pretty simple, in my mind.

dal

Right now no pogba-
—————-Ighalo————-
martial——-Bruno——-mata
————mcfred——————-

Full squad
———————ighalo———-
Rashford——pogba—-Bruno
——mctominay—fred———

next season

——————Ighalo————-———-
rashford——-Bruno———sancho
—————-fred———Grealish——-

Mctominay greenwood james Subs

Ideally sell martial for a proper centre forward

SweetRightFoot

Bruno, Fred, McT for me
Yep.

Unpopular opinion, I'd like to see Pogba up top in a holding false 9 role where he's got no defensive responsibilities and only scores headers and tap-ins while creating chances with his strength and technique in and around the box like Ibra. Got great pace for playing on the counter too. Don't rate him in centre mid, think further forward through the middle might be his best position.

gza the genius

Bruno and Pogba both have to play, it's that simple really. Against most teams I think Fred sitting behind Bruno and Pogba would enough.

With Rashford out I wouldn't mind trying a 3-5-2 of:

Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
AWB - Mctominay - Fred - Pogba - Williams
Bruno
Martial

Basically I think you could push Pogba as a psuedo left winger, or the most advanced player on the left whatever position you want to call that, and let him roam.

buckooo1978

as a 3 it's hard to argue with

------McT--------Pogba---------
------------Fernandes---------

think our most effective team will be

---------------McTominay------------------
----------Fred-------------Pogba-----------
----------------Fernandes-------------------
-----Greenwood------Martial----------

Green_Red

Nice issue to have though isn’t it?
Plus it’s not as if Matic has been that bad
Yea, its mad how one good signing can change things. I still think we need at least one more CM. Matic is getting old and Pogba could leave.

sp_107

If it must be 3 then it should be Fred,Pogba and Bruno but I think the best option is go with diamond formation.

-----------------McTominay----------------

----------Fred-------------Pogba-----------

----------------Fernandes------------------

-----Rashford----------Martial-----------

with Mason/Ighalo/Mata/James/Matic as backup

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He actually isn’t ‘shite most of the time.’ It’s a myth perpetuated by those who don’t like him. Jose made him something of a scape goat to cover up his own tactical failings. Some on here bought that. Most of the time he’s played with underperforming players. It hasn’t helped.

He’ll be needed for the run in. Ole knows it
Jose criticised a lot of players, some more than Pogba, and this excuse was not used for them. There aren't people on here who will still try to claim it is Mourinho's fault whenever Luke Shaw or Martial have bad games or show a poor attitude (which compared to Pogba, neither of them actually do anyway).

Mourinho also tried Pogba in several roles. He tried him on the left of a three, as everyone on here was moaning at him for not doing, and it resulted in some of Pogba's worst performances for the club...such as his travesty away at Newcastle where frankly he looked both dissinterested and drunk.

Basically, he played Pogba, a midfielder, in midfield. The reason he wasn't up to standard there is because he only wanted to do half the job, and even when doing that half of it, more often he is interested in showing off rather than helping the team.

I'm also not sure on what basis you have decided he will be so crucial for the run in. He was available for our run in last season, and he was completely useless. He had a two month run of playing well before that...but this was playing in the position Fernandes has been playing in. So are you going to drop Fernandes for him? Because if not there is very little basis to just presume he'll produce the goods.

Whoscored ratings not RedCafe. I don't pay attention to RedCafe ratings as every player, even the bad players, are underrated.
Whether he wants to leave or lacks dedication is a different matter. He hasn't played shite for 4 years is what I'm saying. If he wants to go, GET RID. I don't know for certain if this is the case so I am prepared to make him part of our team next season because he is one of our best players. I want a team of quality players such as Pogba, not garbage players such as Lingard. The thing they might have in common is attitude, but they aren't comparable in terms of ability. one is very good and one is very shit.
Right, well I'd never heard of Whoscored until just now but a quick look tells me that going by their ratings Paul Pogba is as good as players like Kevin De Bruyne, so, no.

Firstly, it isn't really a different matter, as Ole has said time and again he is building a team around players that WANT to play here and who are willing to work hard. Someone who lacks dedication is obviously going to be a problem there. I honestly don't know how much more certain it needs to be made to you that he does not want to be here. He hasn't played all season, his agent is openly TELLING you that he does not want to play here, and even criticising our manager because he hasn't let him leave yet. Paul Pogba told you last summer that he wanted to leave. I don't blame him for wanting to leave as he has no obligation to want to play for United. It's his career, but do you realise how stupid you are being by just pretending this isn't the case? I mean short of appearing on national television to spit on the United badge and tell you to feck off there is not much more he can do at this point.

I don't know why you are comparing him to Lingard. Lingard has not been part of our first choice midfield at any point this season. He's behind Andreas Pererira and we spent over £50m on a new player just so that he wouldn't have to be first choice either. No one in this thread has said Lingard should be in our first choice midfield, or team, because it's obvious he wouldn't be.

The problem I have with Pogba is not that he's shite. He's a very good player, but he beats to his own drum. He does the parts of his job he wants to. He does not care about what's best for the team. He frequently has games where he is absolutely terrible...where we have to try to win in spite of his performance rather than because of it. His only consistent good run of form (which in itself didn't last long) was after Ole took over, when the whole team played well and when Pogba was played in the same position we have bought Fernandes to play in. He isn't going to get in the team ahead of Fernandes, and Fred and McTominay have both proven they can be reliable and consistent playing further back in the centre...something Pogba has only ever proven to be the opposite of. Therefore if he wants to stay (he doesn't) he has to earn his place in the team like anyone else in his situation would. If he's as good and dedicated as you think he is, he would do that...but if he was as good and dedicated as you think he is we wouldn't be having this discussion on here every other week.

Aarron Swift

—————-McTominay————-
Fred——————————-Pogba
——————Bruno———————
-Rashford————Martial

I hope that return of Pogba doesn’t tempt Ole to push Bruno into a wide attacking position & asking to play as an inside forward cutting in the same way Mata has been mismanaged his whole time at United

Scholsey2004

Bruno, McTominay, Fred. In terms of ability alone Pogba should be in there but it's clear now that he's simply passing time until he leaves.

Gerald G

For home games and matches we're we'll dominate most possession I'd go: Fred--Pogba--Bruno
For away games or tougher fixtures I'd start off with Matic--Pogba--Bruno

Cliche Guevara

People leaving out Pogba huh? good thing you lot are not managers of the world champions or title winning sides or champs league finalists. Its like people have learnt nothing. Dropping Pogba leaves Bruno as our sole creator and we back to square one
Who says we’d have left him out of those sides?