What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

kkengvib

Bruno, Fred, McT for me
Hard to argue with this based on form.
I'm wondering whether a diamond with 2 up top could be an option we can explore before the end of the season with Pogba back:
------- Bruno ---------
Pogba ------ Fred
------- Mct -----------

Problem will probably be the added attacking responsibility for the fullbacks

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm wondering whether a diamond with 2 up top could be an option we can explore before the end of the season with Pogba back:
------- Bruno ---------
Pogba ------ Fred
------- Mct -----------

That could be an outstanding midfield; Martial and Rash up top.. :drool:

Thepinhead

I never thought I would say this but for me right now I am not sure Pogba is even in my prefered midfield. It will be interesting to see how Ole is going to solve this puzzle. It ain't always about fielding all your best players. It is also about balance.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
------- Bruno ---------
Pogba ------ Fred
------- Mct -----------

It's only a small tweak but I wouldn't go with a diamond but a flat midfield three. A 4312 instead of a 41212 with Fred as the most central and Pogba/McTominay using their mobility to support the attack wide.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Fred-McTominay
Bruno

But the first two can easily be upgraded on and made into excellent squad/rotation players. Strength in depth is what wins you major honours. Imagine those two on the bench and playing cup games, instead of Matic and Pereira? Yeah, that's what you call a proper team. One capable of competing with even Liverpool/City.

Zlatans Knee

Fred-McTominay
Bruno

But the first two can easily be upgraded on and made into excellent squad/rotation players. Strength in depth is what wins you major honours. Imagine those two on the bench and playing cup games, instead of Matic and Pereira? Yeah, that's what you call a proper team. One capable of competing with even Liverpool/City.
"Easily be upgraded" I don't know where to start with this. You mean Fred who has been MOTM in countless matches for us this year and McT who more or less carried our midfield on his own last year and who we have badly missed whilst he was injured?
Honestly I sometimes wonder what reality some of our fans live in.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I never thought I would say this but for me right now I am not sure Pogba is even in my prefered midfield. It will be interesting to see how Ole is going to solve this puzzle. It ain't always about fielding all your best players. It is also about balance.
It's also about desire and commitment. In that regard benching our most talented midfielder doesn't seem so illogical.

Tough one this. Pogba has to be in there so needs a proper DM really.

Matic
--------------Pogba
Fernandes-------

Is probably the best "balance" + quality, yet Fred has been our best player this season in my opinion so I'm completely unsure.

I'm sure Guardiola would play Fred instead of Matic and make it work, but can we do that? Do we have enough possession for us to "get away" with Fred as the DM?

Either way, I still think we need to add a top quality prime DM to our ranks in the Summer.

Lentwood

It’s nice to actually have some genuine competition for places!

Fernandes is the one who has to play for me because he can do things the other players can’t.

If we’re including Pogba and would go Pogba and Fred

If we’re not, I would go McTominay and Fred

Matic has definitely proved he’s still worth 20+ games a season though and is arguably better on the ball than Fred and McTom

NoneBmStore

Yeah, but no. Pogba is still easily our best player.

Reactions: berbatrick

romufc

I never thought I would say this but for me right now I am not sure Pogba is even in my prefered midfield.
It will be interesting to see what Ole does. How will Fred, McT, Matic react if Pogba comes straight in when he is fit.

If the boys currently continue the same form, Pogba has to earn his place in the team and he must be crazy to not see this teams potential if we get the summer signings right.

DCP

Mata playing deep, Bruno and Pogba.
Over to you Captain Harry.

In real terms, you either have to pick your favourite out of Fred and McT or play a diamond - which I think we have the strike force to do as Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all have the ability to pull wide.

Robbo 7

I think it would depend on the opposition and if we are playing at home or away.

Home: Fred, Pogba, Bruno
Away: Fred, McT, Bruno

Bruno's performances since he signed have been outstanding and he's looking better every time. For the first time in his return to United, Pogba must be concerned about his place in the team. It's great that we seem to have good competition in midfield.

SER19

Mctominay Fred Bruno without question

Go all out for sancho and play sancho martial rashford in front of it. That's a line up ready to compete

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
It's only a small tweak but I wouldn't go with a diamond but a flat midfield three. A 4312 instead of a 41212 with Fred in the most central and Pogba/McTominay using their mobility to support the attack wide.
That actually seems like a good fit. Fred and Bruno are good in close spaces and possess a good range of passing so being central will do them good. Pogba can roam a it forward with Scott more defensive.

Only drawback is lack of width and dependence on fullbacks. Also we are lacking a bit upfront.

Tarrou

It's only a small tweak but I wouldn't go with a diamond but a flat midfield three. A 4312 instead of a 41212 with Fred in the most central and Pogba/McTominay using their mobility to support the attack wide.
Would like to see us try this

This issue with these narrow formations though is we don’t really have the right full backs for it

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Well, I'd like to see us try Pogba, Bruno and Fred, although it may be a bit lightweight. Bruno is very hard-working and mobile though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure whether it's Fred or McTom to partner Pogba and Bruno.

Jonno

Matic Fred
Bruno

People underestimating how good Matic is in that midfield.

I love McSauce, but he can rotate with Fred and Matic week in week out.

Bwuk

Bruno, Pogba & McTominay.

This is a good issue to have though.

thepolice123

Its clear to see Ole knows Pogba's best position is the LCM of a 4-3-3. The last time Pogba came on as a sub against Newcastle, Ole immediately changed the formation from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3 with Fred as the anchor. I think that was the only time we played a 4-3-3 this season.

He is the odd midfielder out now because the 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for all our midfielders except him. I think it also the better formation for our fullbacks because they have two midfielders who can cover their positions.

Dan_F

You’d think Pogba/Bruno would be fantastic for unlocking easier teams at home.

James Peril

Horses for courses. We are not good enough to play the same players and tactics in every game a la vintage Barcelona.
Pogba is first on the team sheet in every game, same with Bruno really. Then you create tactics around these with Fred and McTominay based on task and injuries of course. And you break it up if we lead and play both Fred and McTominay by pulling out one of the above. Options galore, plenty of players are needed in the middle to compete for the league and CL. And that is where we want to be right, not challenging a completely mediocre Chelsea for 4th.

Against Liverpool and City I would put McTominay in as the first player, but against Watford at home he would be the last one. Case in point, horses for courses, great rotation and options, resting etc etc. Numbers are great!

TRUERED89

If not this

----------McT-------

--Fred--------Pogba---

--------Bruno--------

Then this with McT/Fred rotating

---------------McT/Fred----------

----Bruno-----------------Pogba---------

shaky

Bruno, Fred, McT for me
That's the one. On paper, Pogba should be in there, but it's not just about talent. Half the battle is playing well together as a team and having a happy dressing room. Players who aren't eager to be part of the future of Utd are not what we need.

GMoore23

Fernandes
Matic Mctominay

Since Matic has come back into the team, our defensive record has been very good with a lot more clean sheets. We have no other Midfielder that can offer the calming influence he does. Mctominay over Fred. Fred has been really good this season but I still rate him as a just a fantastic rotational option. Mctominay is a natural leader and our future captain imo, full of drive and determination and so composed in front of goal as well. Fernandes is a no brainer and Pogba can do one.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That actually seems like a good fit. Fred and Bruno are good in close spaces and possess a good range of passing so being central will do them good. Pogba can roam a it forward with Scott more defensive.

Only drawback is lack of width and dependence on fullbacks. Also we are lacking a bit upfront.
Would like to see us try this

This issue with these narrow formations though is we don’t really have the right full backs for it
In a 4312/41212, you get the width from the wide CMs, one of the striker and the attacking midfielder. The fullbacks aren't actually giving you consistent width because it would be a massive weakness particularly in transition, fullbacks are support players in attack and our fullbacks are able to provide that if we are properly drilled.

The issue with that system is more that it's based on asymmetry, midfielders and attackers need to anticipate where their teams are going to go and balance the formation on the fly. That's why most teams will avoid them, it requires a lot of tactical work and synergy.

bsCallout

Tough one this. Pogba has to be in there so needs a proper DM really.

Matic
--------------Pogba
Fernandes-------

Is probably the best "balance" + quality, yet Fred has been our best player this season in my opinion so I'm completely unsure.

I'm sure Guardiola would play Fred instead of Matic and make it work, but can we do that? Do we have enough possession for us to "get away" with Fred as the DM?

Either way, I still think we need to add a top quality prime DM to our ranks in the Summer.
Couldn't disagree more. That midfield would be run over. Pogba and Matic can't or don't run. They strength of McT and Fred is their abilities to get around the pitch and 'be everywhere'.

Fred and McT have to start for me. They compliment each other well, both try to play forward and can get up and down the pitch to support defence or attack.

Pogba only gets in with a Diamon or 4-2-2-2 system.

TRUERED89

yup - hopefully Pogba comes back and shows his best form if he wants to earn his move to madrid
Precisely, and as I've been saying we deserve a top 4 parting gift from him, so he should come in when fit to play!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People actually leaving a fit Pogba out. Can't shake my head enough.

The Caf has adopted this random and dumb mentality where we should start replacing our talented players with others rather than adding on top of them. So bloody dumb, then again it's expected from these boards with over exited posters.

lysglimt

Scout
Imo - the strongest side we can field is:

DDG - Shaw, Bailly, Maguire, AWB - Fred, McT, Pogba - Rashford, Martial, Bruno

And that team imo is not far behind City and Liverpool

Oh and btw - to all those who want OGS gone - look at that team and compare it to where we were when Mourinho was fired. Thats what he has accomplished in 14 months with a net spend of what - £120 million ?

Skills

Snitch
McTominay might just be the most overrated player to have ever played for us. Imagine leaving Paul Pogba out for him.

cyberman

3-5-2 with Fred and Mc t sitting with Pogba and Bruno slightly behind Martial.
This really isnt a problem with the amount of games coming up