What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

thepolice123

Hoping to see something like this from Ole:

-- Rasford ---- Martial ----- Bruno

------ Pogba -------- McT/Fred ----
--‐-------------- Matic -----------------

Bruno as a roaming wide playmaker similar to how Mou used Ozil or Zidane with Isco, also Eriksen at Spurs too. I think it can work and allows us the fluidity to switch to a diamond formation at different phases. Really doubt Pogba and Bruno can play together in midfield.

wolvored

If all fit then the strongest 4-1-4-1 would be with Matic at the base covering the defence Pogba CLM Bruno CRM. If Pogba goes and we get no one in then Fred would take Pogbas place. McTom would come on in place of whoever tires first or if we're winning well.
Matic
Rm/S Bruno Pogba Lm/S
CF

m1tch

McT Fred Bruno

Against poor sides we could afford to have Pogba instead of one of McT/Fred otherwise against decent sides Bruno would have to play deeper to make up for Pogba.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This thread should be renamed 'who will play alongside Pogba and Bruno when everyone is fit'

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'd always play McTominay if he is in great form. His combination of physicality and assertiveness on the ball makes him a big presence against any midfield, which will only help smaller guys like Bruno and Fred.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We don't have the proper fullbacks for any kind of diamond midfield or any sort of back 3 formation. Our fullback are suited for a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or a traditional 4-4-2. With that being said and with everyone fit, I believe our best formation is a 4-2-3-1

AWB Lindeloff. Maguire. Shaw
McTominay. Fred
James. Bruno. Rashford
Martial

Problem is we need an upgrade at RW as James should be an impact player for now and we need a better option than Martial. Martial should at least be challenged for his starting spot and right now he isnt. And sorry but no Pogba in this team. If he stays he can be rotated anywhere in the midfield. If not then the money we get for him can be used for a striker and a winger

Mickson

Very surprised so few have Matic. 1) he's one of the key aspects in our recently well-played defense. 2) he was our best midfielder against Everton and even had the assist for our goal.

Skåre Willoch

Pogba-Bruno
Fred

Matic playing for Fred every four games or so. McTominay in for either Pogba or Bruno as a sub, or as a starter when rest is needed.

Solid coverage, but we should look at getting one more in to properly challenge the starters. I also think Matic (and Pogba) will leave in the summer, so a midfield signing is definitely needed.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
McT Fred Bruno

Against poor sides we could afford to have Pogba instead of one of McT/Fred otherwise against decent sides Bruno would have to play deeper to make up for Pogba.
McTominay over Pogba :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

People need to leave their agendas at the door, it was Pogba who got Ole the job in the first place.

Champagne Football

Solid coverage, but we should look at getting one more in to properly challenge the starters. I also think Matic (and Pogba) will leave in the summer, so a midfield signing is definitely needed.
I think Ole will extend Matic's contract. He's got a good attitude and mentality. Is also on form and won't cost anything. We'll need him next season in a bit part role.

I'm thinking next season we'll be
........Fred
Bruno Grealish

.... With Garner possibly groomed for the Carrick role

Bestietom

Matic is the only proper DM we have, so in big games I would go:- 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-1-2

----------------- Matic -----------

---McTominay----------Fred

--------------Fernandes------------

Greenwood/ Ighalo------------Martial

If Pogba comes back, I would play him in Fred's place.

MadMike

Matic is the only proper DM we have, so in big games I would go:- 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-1-2

----------------- Matic -----------

---McTominay----------Fred

--------------Fernandes------------

Greenwood/ Ighalo------------Martial

If Pogba comes back, I would play him in Fred's place.
Fred's in currently much better form than McT, as evidenced at Everton, and has been one of our best players since the start of the year. He'd not be the one to drop out if Pogba returns soon. McT would be the rotation option for both Fred and Matic.

Bestietom

Fred's in currently much better form than McT, as evidenced at Everton, and has been one of our best players since the start of the year. He'd not be the one to drop out if Pogba returns soon. McT would be the rotation option for both Fred and Matic.
Yes, he certainly is, but purely for balance I would replace him with Pogba on the left side. McTominay was our best midfielder before his injury and gave us more balance on the right side, and he will be back in full form after a few games.

Last edited:

Nikelesh Reddy

Mctominay,Pogba and Bruno..,Pogba might leave in the summer but we should keep playing him until we can...Bruno and Pogba to be interchanging positions and Mctominay can just sit in front of the back 4...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Mctominay,Pogba and Bruno..,Pogba might leave in the summer but we should keep playing him until we can...Bruno and Pogba to be interchanging positions and Mctominay can just sit in front of the back 4...
McTominay isn’t a DM mate, sitting in front of the back four would be disastrous, might as well just play Matic.

davidmichael

At home we should play Fernandes and Pogba in the same team but away we should go with Fernandes over Pogba and supported by McTominay and Fred, whichever is most disciplined to sit between McTominay and Fred should play the home games alongside Fernandes and Pogba.

Skåre Willoch

I think Ole will extend Matic's contract. He's got a good attitude and mentality. Is also on form and won't cost anything. We'll need him next season in a bit part role.

I'm thinking next season we'll be
........Fred
Bruno Grealish

.... With Garner possibly groomed for the Carrick role
Yeah, I agree. Not sure if he'll get an extension, but it does make sense to keep him. He does a job no one else in the squad can do right now.
I'd like to see more of Garner before I say anything about him, but in general I'm all for using the academy and giving the players a fair chance to compete for a place in the squad.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Matic should play at DM because he's technically superior to McTominay and has better passing ability than both McTominay and Fred. High energy players like McTominay should occupy the bench if everyone is fit. Matic has also been in good form and deserves to start in the deeper role.

Skills

Snitch
We don't have the proper fullbacks for any kind of diamond midfield or any sort of back 3 formation. Our fullback are suited for a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or a traditional 4-4-2. With that being said and with everyone fit, I believe our best formation is a 4-2-3-1

AWB Lindeloff. Maguire. Shaw
McTominay. Fred
James. Bruno. Rashford
Martial

Problem is we need an upgrade at RW as James should be an impact player for now and we need a better option than Martial. Martial should at least be challenged for his starting spot and right now he isnt. And sorry but no Pogba in this team. If he stays he can be rotated anywhere in the midfield. If not then the money we get for him can be used for a striker and a winger
Do you want us to dig up a trench across our half too?

Nickelodeon

----------Matic-----------
Pogba----------Bruno

For majority of the games. For tougher games or away fixtures, an additional midfielder (Fred or McT) instead of designated RW.

On paper, the midfield looks quite stocked if everyone is fit. But Pogba's presence (or lack thereof) makes a huge difference. Hope we can add similar depth to our front line.

Matic should play at DM because he's technically superior to McTominay and has better passing ability than both McTominay and Fred. High energy players like McTominay should occupy the bench if everyone is fit. Matic has also been in good form and deserves to start in the deeper role.
Yep i agree

IRELANDUNITED

I'd love to see a fully fit and focused Pogba play with Bruno, but that will likely never happen.

Ludens the Red

Pogba-Fred-Bruno

Once Paulie Me leaves (fingers crossed) I’d like to see us bring in another attacking midfielder rather than a holder or box to box. City made it work with Fernandinho- Silva - Bernardo (De Bruyne) so we can too. The great thing about Bruno unlike Paulie Me, is that he appears willing to do the dirty work and cover the spaces and get back for recoveries.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Amazing how many won't have Pogba in their team when fit. Would be interesting to know how many managers would pick McTominay/Fred/Fernandes above Pogba. I'd imagine close to none.

Brightonian

With Pogba, right at this moment:

Pogba Bruno
Fred
Without Pogba, right at this moment:

Bruno
McT Fred
Once McTominay has played himself back into full form and fitness, which we can expect to take a couple of weeks after such a long lay-off, I think he and Fred will be neck-and-neck for similar positions, prime for rotation.

Matic is a good option for the occasional game where we want to tighten up defensively... but actually not against top PL opposition, in my opinion, where his lack of pace or mobility makes him as much a liability as a strength. He's better used against tricky mid-table PL opposition or in big European games where his composure and experience come into play but where the pace of play isn't as relentless.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We’ve been scoring more and conceding less with a midfield of Bruno Fred and an in form Matic. It’s been the most balanced midfield so far this season but we don’t know long Matic can keep this up and has proven in the past that he can’t. Which is why I think we still need a DM this summer. I think if we get a DM along with another creative AM to replace Lingard and Pereira on the bench as a solid cover for Bruno our midfield will be set

.....................Bruno..................

......New DM............Fred.........

- Bruno will have a solid backup in the new AM (maybe Grealish if he’s okay on the bench and cheap)

- Fred will have a solid back up in Mctominay.

- New DM (Partey or Zakaria seems to be the popular names) will have a solid back up in Matic

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Amazing how many won't have Pogba in their team when fit. Would be interesting to know how many managers would pick McTominay/Fred/Fernandes above Pogba. I'd imagine close to none.
It's not based on talent. Clearly Pogba would be an automatic pick if we were listing our most talented midfield 3.
The issue is balance and commitment. In terms of balance, Matic has shown in recent weeks the value of a proper DM, while McTominay and Fred provide so much energy and hustle that we can't really afford to lose, especially in the bigger games. It then becomes a question of Pogba or Fernandes.
In terms of commitment, the team is showing a strong sense of unity at the moment and for the first time in a long time it seems we have a team that are willing to fight for each other.

Pogba coming back could go either way, in my opinion. He could add extra magic and creativity in a team lacking in it and take us up another level, or it could disrupt a midfield that is finally functioning.

finneh

I'd have McTominay-Fred-Bruno in games we're expecting to win and Matic-Fred-Bruno or Matic-McTominay-Bruno in the harder games.

Pogba to come on for Matic/McTominay if we need to breakdown a defensive team.

Teja

It is one of those tactical conundrums where you just have to put a team out on the pitch and see how it goes. Ole I think sees Pogba as an #8 and not a #10 so I'd probably try

Fred / McTominay / Matic + Bruno + Pogba in our 4231. With Fred or McTominay, there's enough workrate and technique in that mid field 3 to take on most other midfields regardless of what role each player plays in. If I had a gun to my head it'll be

--- McTominay ---- Pogba ----
------------------ Bruno ----------------

This is assuming a fit + motivated Pogba, if he can't be arsed, I'd just drop him and continue with our current midfield.

M Bison

Supports
York City
The fact that this question doesn’t have an easy answer is brilliant - finally some bloody options!