What's your midfield trio next season?

jamesjimmybyrondean

A similar thread is in the main forum but involves only the midfielders we have in the team. But come next season, what would be your midfield trio?

I'm actually doing this for Fred as I've seen a lot of posts where Fred, arguably our best and most consistent player this season was benched to accommodate Pogba Bruno and a DM or Grealish Bruno and a DM

NoPace

A similar thread is in the main forum but involves only the midfielders we have in the team. But come next season, what would be your midfield trio?

I'm actually doing this for Fred as I've seen a lot of posts where Fred, arguably our best and most consistent player this season was benched to accommodate Pogba Bruno and a DM or Grealish Bruno and a DM
Pogba-Bruno (#10, McTominay)
-------Fred------ (Matic)

picks itself for me. Don't see why we can't play Fred deeper, but if does struggle in that role we can play a diamond or a square and get McTominay in.

Skills

Snitch
Pogba --- Bruno
------ Fred

We don't need a typical defensive midfielder because unlike say Liverpool are fullbacks are more solid in defence, than they are going forward. If you try and force them into playing like TAA and Robertson they'll fail. This kind of set up allows them to stay further back, and also puts Bruno & Pogba in positions to be productive in the attacking half.

Art Vandelay

Based on our current midfield Fred and McTominay with Bruno ahead of them. I assume we will sign a midfielder though, it just depends what kind of midfielder.

Brightonian

Two months ago I was firmly in the 'we need a DM for the team' camp. I think I'm wavering, possibly now more in the 'we need a DM for the squad and maybe it could be Garner if he's still a DM' camp.

Therefore:
Bruno
Pogba Fred
Or, more defensively:
Pogba/Bruno
Fred McT
Or, to be honest, any combination of those four midfielders that contains at least one of Pogba/Bruno and at least one of Fred/McT.

But I wouldn't be mad if we went big and nabbed Partey or Ndidi or someone of that ilk. If Pogba leaves, you have to replace him with someone creative. We currently have two other pretty good B2B midfielders but only one other good enough creative AM.

GenZRed

Bruno Fred
(New DM)

I say new defensive midfielder because Matic cannot play there every week anymore. Scott would make a good backup option. Pogba isn't in my trio because I don't think he will be here next year. Even if he is, it is because of the exceptional circumstances the pandemic has engendered.

Alabaster Codify7

In my ideal and (for me) realistic world, a midfield trio and backup like this could see us challenging for the top 2, definitely. Pogba will be gone as far as I'm concerned so I'm basing this on the fact we're selling him and maybe getting £100-120m for him.

-------------------------Zakaria (Matic/Fred)--------------------------
---------------Grealish (McTominay/Fred)-------------------------
--------------------------------------Fernandes (Grealish/Mata/Pereira)

That's how I see our midfield three looking in that scenario. Possibly Partey instead of Zakaria, or possibly even Soumare (in which case I would think Matic would be our starting CDM with Soumare being eased in).

Sparky Rhiwabon

It all hinges on whether Fred can be relied on as a DM. He's got all the tools to but does he have the brains and the discipline?

If he can then it's
Fred
Pogba
Bruno

If not then it's
Matic / new DM
Pogba / Fred
Bruno.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pogba can feck off. His agent and brother are just too much now. Can't be bothered with the cirsus anymore and quite frankly he's not worth the hassle either. Bruno is better because he matches his talent with desire and effort.

Bruno as the AM and Fred Mctomminay as the CM's. Matic, Garner, Andreas as back ups.

We need to sign Sancho or another world class winger. That's the real weak link in the side now.

Andersons Dietician

Hard one. I think Fred has been Our best player this season and has shown his worth. I however would really like to see Bruno and Pogba with a DM behind them and I don’t think that suits Fred or McT which really only leaves Matic who I think probably needs to be a bench option for someone newer.

If I could bring someone in it would be Saul as I feel like he’d have the experience knowledge and discipline to do his job. Feel like Fred and McT are better when they are allowed off the leash to go and do/go wherever .

Fred also I’m sure has some stat where he made the most chances or forward passes or something and he and Bruno certainly seemed to be developing a pretty good thing.

Heck it all comes down to what is happening with 1 man and that man is Pogba. Staying, going, what position he plays and so on.

McT Fred
Bruno​
If that is the main 3 next year, I’m alright with that.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
McTominay/Matic - Pogba
---------------Bruno-----------------

This is all dependent on the Pogba will he won't he scenario. If Pogba does go then, we need a top-quality creative midfielder just in case Bruno gets injured or needs a rest.

-Supreme-

----Matic---Pogba
---------Bruno
  • We need a DM to rotate with Matic if Pogba is played in CM
  • McT and Fred will get plenty of game time when others are rested / injured
  • Fred to take Pogba's place if he goes but we will need a new creative player and DM

Devil may care

I don't want to see Pogba in the double pivot and Fred isn't a DM so I don't want to see him as a lone holder.

In an ideal world:

If Pogba goes:

jamesjimmybyrondean

For me, if we keep Pogba then we should get a DM only, preferrably Zakaria.

.....Bruno....

..Fred....Pogba

with Zakaria and Mctominay rotating.

If Pogba goes, we use the money to get both Zakaria and Grealish

.......Bruno......

Zakaria......Fred

With Grealish and Mctominay rotating

Danillaco

If Pogba stays, Fred plays DM, but the ideal player would be a guy like: 1. Ndidi, 2. Ruben Neves.

If he goes, than we would have to dig deeper in the market. Fernandes injury would screw us hard.

James Ward

Probably Pogba Bruno New DM

Keep Fred, Matic and sign Grealish.

That's six players which should be enough.

If we can get rid of Jesse, Andreas, Mata and Scott I would be happy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fred Pogba Fernandes

With Mctominay rotating with one of them.

Of course much depends on Pogba staying, and who we sign.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
McTominay is going to be a long term starter for us in there, always weird when people leave him out. Every manager loves him and he's been class this season. Anyway, itll be:

Pogba - Bruno
McTominay​

With Fred in for Pogba and a slight reshuffle if Pogba is sold.

Walters_19_MuFc

Same squad? No new players?
Same 4231 formation?

vs Top Teams
Pogba
Fred McT
(*Bruno at RAM/RM)

vs the rest
Bruno
Fred Pogba
Just playing devil's advocate here. With rumours that we'll be purchasing a RAM/RM in the summer, what happens to him in big games when Bruno is moved out wide?

Rocknrolla69er

Bruno
Ramsey
Zakaria

im chuckling at peoples mentality that Pogba still has the mentality to be at this club, no doubts about it hes used his ankle injury to miss more games than hes needed too. Its almost a stealth protest. Hes gone get used to it and good riddance to the posturing egotistical child. Can take Lingaard and his daft dances with him, lets get some proper midfielders in who want to play and produce

Web of Bissaka

Just playing devil's advocate here. With rumours that we'll be purchasing a RAM/RM in the summer, what happens to him in big games when Bruno is moved out wide?
Sure I'll play along.

Main questions is who is the RAM/RM?

Basically it depends on a lot of things.
1) Which RAM/RM player are we getting - how important will he be?
2) Form of all our players.
3) Fitness of our players.
4) Tactics we're using - counter attack or high press, etc.
5) Which teams are we facing - one DMF may suffice, or we may still need proper two.
6) etc etc etc.

So, depending on those - that new RAM/RM may either start on field or on bench as impact sub.

Let's say the RAM/RM is bloody good (eg. similar to the importance Rashford but at the right side), and we're facing a top team that are good in attacks especially on the break, then having Fred and McT/Matic are still needed. That left with a toss between Pogba and Bruno, just one as they perform sort of similar role. However, this still depends on if our CF is also bloody good, if he's not - the manager then may opt to move Rashford to CF and put Pogba to LM instead to maintain having two playmakers/suppliers.

eltigreFalcao

As I'm expecting us to go big on Sancho, I'll asume that we'll go lighter in reinforcing the midfield. Actually I don't see Pogba leaving in the summer due to all the coronavirus state of the game, although I defo wouldn't mind him staying for the future. That said, I imagine our midfield trio to be

Pogba-Fred-Fernandes
with McT and Matic, mostly, coming in for rotation. That brings in the consistency that makes real progress in a team. I hope Andreas and Lingard's minutes are counted in their united careers, but their departures may not be happening this summer either. To that I think a valuable signing would be Denis Zakaria or Ruben Neves, to start pushing Matic out of the team, as he gets older and older. Finally I hope James Garner has enough of a chance to play in this midfield.

Midfielders next season:
Pogba,
Fred,
Fernandes,
McTomminay,
Zakaria/Neves,
Matic,
Garner,
Pereira

Walters_19_MuFc

Providing none of our midfielders are sold, my midfield three would be:

Fernandes
Fred Pogba

I would then have McTominay and a creative player that can play as a 10 and 6 on the bench, with Matic and Mata (who both will be 32 next season) as squad players. It would allow for plenty of cover, whilst maintaining that midfield balance if/when players are injured/rested.

The players I'd be looking to bring in a midfielder that can play as a 10 and 6 are as follows:

1. Lorenzo Pellegrini
2. Donny van de Beek
3. Abdoulaye Doucoure
4. Aaron Ramsey

Bench: Romero Lindelof Williams McTominay New Midfielder James Striker

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Surprised how few people have McTominay in their midfield. I don't understand that. He's getting better and better

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Fred-McTominay-Fernandes

Hope Pogba fecks off to Madrid or wherever Raiola finds him suitable.

Fosu-Mens

Surprised so many people saying Pogba - do you think he'll be a United player next season?
The best solution for everyone would be to sell him for £100m+. Could make it difficult for us to attract players if we refuse to sell him for a "reasonable" price when he so clearly wants to leave.

If we buy Sancho, we will sell PP.

Next seasons dream midfield:

Partey - Tonali
Bruno

Rocknrolla69er

Pogbas lost the shirt to Bruno guys accept it

Will be

Bruno
Mctominay
And possibly a new Dm if not itl be Fred.

sherrinford

Pogbas lost the shirt to Bruno guys accept it

Will be

Bruno
Mctominay
And possibly a new Dm if not itl be Fred.
This opinion is baffling. Why do you refuse to acknowledge or accept that Pogba was being used deeper in midfield when he was last fit and available for selection? In the line up you have given it would be more accurate to say that Pogba lost the shirt to any of McTominay, Fred or the new DM...