Books Wheel of Time

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
They are not 'boring', but the overall story does not progress much in the middle books. Still worth reading.

Come on. Mat/Tuon segments in CoT and KoD is awesome.
There arent that many in CoT. Knife is awesome though.

My least favourite is Winter’s Heart. Basically nothing happened there except Rand getting moody.

The pinnacle of the series is of course The Dragon Reborn.
Think you should cleanse your post.

InfiniteBoredom

Think you should cleanse your post.
:lol:

Speaks volumes about how poorly written it was that such a pivotal event didn’t really make an impression.

Tbh after Lord of Chaos the series took a nosedive and didn’t really recover, even with the Sanderson books ( I don’t rate him as a writer, never could get into Mistborn). Rand going into Ultra Insinct Lews Therin mode was OP as feck and made book 10-11 had too much of a ‘Dragon Reborn feck yeah’ mood.

Moiraine

As Amazon is making a series on the book, I was just wondering which actors might be chosen for lead roles. Could be like GOT, almost entire cast from the British theatre apart from just a few renowned actors.

Who do you guys suggest would be suitable for lead roles?

Revan

Assumptionman
Actually, Jordan wrote many of the sequences in AMoL completely before his death. Personally, I was quite satisfied with the final book.

I'll go as far as admitting that it is my least favourite book. But I still enjoyed it at the time, and I still read it when I do my re-reads. Mind you, I do end up skipping a fair few chapters, so it's definitely the most flawed of the bunch. But I never really could agree with the people who claimed that books X-Y are simply bad. I'll make allowances for CoT, but I do think the rest were genuinely well-written and interesting books. They can't all be as good as TDR.
Crossroads of Twilight and Winter's Heart are really bad. Somehow I have given them 2/5 stars on Goodreads instead of the 1/5 I give for total abominations like Queen of Fire from Anthony Ryan or the second book in The Three-Body Problem, which means that I didn't find them unreadable, but still remember that they were bad.

Does the Elayne' cleaning scene happens in one of them? That was really bad. It is almost as bad as any scene on Malazan Book of the Fallen.

The pinnacle of the series is obviously The Fires of Heaven. If anyone dares to disagree with it, I will balefire him/her.

SecondFig

I apologise for quoting this is for me to remember to look at the last two. Rothfuss is the best ever we just need the 3rd book.
No worries!

And agreed re: Rothfuss - plus I'm sure I saw an interview years ago (just after book 1) where he said he had a series of 7-9 books planned. Added to the recent comment he made about a 1,000,000 word prologue (which would be about right for Books 1-3), and I think he's planning several more Kvothe books. Just needs to bloody finish book 3 first

Revan

Assumptionman
No worries!

And agreed re: Rothfuss - plus I'm sure I saw an interview years ago (just after book 1) where he said he had a series of 7-9 books planned. Added to the recent comment he made about a 1,000,000 word prologue (which would be about right for Books 1-3), and I think he's planning several more Kvothe books. Just needs to bloody finish book 3 first
He is not writing at all. There won't be a book 3, unless he runs out of money, and even then is debatable.

InfiniteBoredom

He is not writing at all. There won't be a book 3, unless he runs out of money, and even then is debatable.
I think there’ll be a book 3 purely for the fact that there needs to be some sort of conclusion to this current arc for a show/film deal. TKC is nowhere near mainstream enough yet to get a silver screen treatment on an unfinished work (hell, even Silmarillion couldn’t)

Revan

Assumptionman
I think there’ll be a book 3 purely for the fact that there needs to be some sort of conclusion to this current arc for a show/film deal. TKC is nowhere near mainstream enough yet to get a silver screen treatment on an unfinished work (hell, even Silmarillion couldn’t)
It makes sense to be a book 3, but the impression from a lot of people (many who attend fantasy convents etc) is that Rothfuss is just unable to write anymore for whatever reasons. A bit like GRRM burnout, but in steroids.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Maybe it's already done but he won't release it until the tv series is ready to go to hype it up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
First book is meh. Second, third and fifth are...decent, i guess? Fourth is meh. Wouldn't wipe my arse with the rest. Still want the time i wasted on this crap back :mad:

Think the thing that pisses me off the most is that in the hands of an actually capable writer, this could have been a great series.

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I got up to book 7 and then stopped as one of the Raymond E Feist books I was (then) waiting on was released. Unfortunately I never got back in to reading them until a few weeks ago, when I picked up the first one again.

b82REZ

Started the first one on holiday a few weeks a go and just couldn't get into it. It's so slow and nothing seems to happen. I like fantasy books but this just seemed dull. After reading some of the comments in here I might preserve to get to the next book, or would it ruin the story if I skipped book one?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Started the first one on holiday a few weeks a go and just couldn't get into it. It's so slow and nothing seems to happen. I like fantasy books but this just seemed dull. After reading some of the comments in here I might preserve to get to the next book, or would it ruin the story if I skipped book one?
Depends. Where are you now?

Moiraine

Reading Book two "The Great Hunt" Can't help it but have to ask this ...

What the **ck is wrong with Rand ... is he ever going to grow up ?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Nope. Not in any way that makes him less irritating or boring. Which is quite something all things considered

padr81

Supports
Man City
WoT is probably my favorite story but its destroyed by poor characters and bad writing as illogical as that sounds. I kind of feel for Sanderson having to fix the mess Jordan had written himself into tbh... He was left with 3 pretty much stupidly over powered characters, 2 of which were pure wankers and honestly there was feck all he could do to fix it. The characters could be decent if they weren't so forced and set in there ways.

I always imagine the WoT for what it could be instead of what it actually is.

Moiraine

WoT is probably my favorite story but its destroyed by poor characters and bad writing as illogical as that sounds. I kind of feel for Sanderson having to fix the mess Jordan had written himself into tbh... He was left with 3 pretty much stupidly over powered characters, 2 of which were pure wankers and honestly there was feck all he could do to fix it. The characters could be decent if they weren't so forced and set in there ways.

I always imagine the WoT for what it could be instead of what it actually is.
I am on book 2 at the moment, last 3-4 chapters. Can you name a few characters that you think are poor characters, and were not necessarily needed.

Plus have you read the A Song of Ice and Fire? if so, then you think GRRM has also some unnecessary characters in the series?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I am on book 2 at the moment, last 3-4 chapters. Can you name a few characters that you think are poor characters, and were not necessarily needed.

Plus have you read the A Song of Ice and Fire? if so, then you think GRRM has also some unnecessary characters in the series?
You won't meet most the unnecessary characters until much further on. As for wankers Rand and Mat and both assholes imho. Jordan tries to write Matt as a lovable rogue or something but he just strikes me as a dick for the entire series. Rand is just whiny. Perrin is easily my fave of the 3 lads from the start.

Don't let my criticisms put you off there is a great story buried under all the fluff and bad character writing. Its just a challenge at times to stick with it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Tbh you can apply that question to basically every main character. Irritating, trivial teenage drama in a fantasy setting with an end of the world backdrop. The characters are the main reason I've never been able to finish the series.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Two avoidable segments in the entire storyline is the Faile Shaido nonsense and Elayne's succession war in Andor.
Jordan really fell into a "I need to document what happened to everyone fully" hole rather than "here's a great storyline worth writing". Completely lost track of the pacing of the series at that point. Where were the editors?

Mind you Martin seems to be succumbing to the same in his epic.

Moiraine

Jordan really fell into a "I need to document what happened to everyone fully" hole rather than "here's a great storyline worth writing". Completely lost track of the pacing of the series at that point. Where were the editors?

I have heard such high praises about GRRM's ASOIAF that I dare not starting the books until he finishes writing the series (which may probably be by 2030, if he is alive).

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

To be fair, I think he was doing 'character development' for Elayne Trakand taking over the armies but that just didn't work out. Faile story is more of a 'give more importance to Perrin' but I just disagree with the need for long drawn out affairs on both these tracks. Still, a great series mind you. I've read this three times so far.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I have heard such high praises about GRRM's ASOIAF that I dare not starting the books until he finishes writing the series (which may probably be by 2030, if he is alive).
He's not finishing the series imho. The tv is.

Absolutely, AFFC and ADWD have hundreds of pointless pages of filler with characters no one will ever give a shite about being added, its kind of sad. Its interesting that both had originally planned much smaller series and let them spiral out of control.

nimic

something nice
Scout
WoT readers, let's use this thread to talk about the TV show, since the other thread is mostly for people to look at the trailer and go "it looks good" or "it doesn't look good" and then move on.

Bobski

One of the main things to come out of the trailer for me is the indication that Rand and Egwene are already physically intimate. Changes that dynamic completely(but could have very interesting impacts on their story/conflict as it progresses) but was probably necessary for a TV audience in the wake of ASOIAF. WOT has some exceedingly dark moments but its approach to sex was closer to LOTR than GOT, and it is apparent how the tone matures over the series.

Liking the castings for Mat and Perrin.

I don't see it being a smash hit, something like Game of Thrones always had the historical drama/Political infighting aspect along with the grittiness to pull in the casual viewer before the fantastical elements could put them off.

nimic

something nice
Scout
One of the main things to come out of the trailer for me is the indication that Rand and Egwene are already physically intimate. Changes that dynamic completely(but could have very interesting impacts on their story/conflict as it progresses) but was probably necessary for a TV audience in the wake of ASOIAF. WOT has some exceedingly dark moments but its approach to sex was closer to LOTR than GOT, and it is apparent how the tone matures over the series.

Liking the castings for Mat and Perrin.

I don't see it being a smash hit, something like Game of Thrones always had the historical drama/Political infighting aspect along with the grittiness to pull in the casual viewer before the fantastical elements could put them off.
It probably won't be GoT, I agree, though it might help that GoT failed so badly at the end. At least WoT is complete, and the big problem isn't that they have to make up stuff but rather all the stuff they have to cut.

As far as the political stuff, we'll get some of that later, when Rand starts ruling nations (and Elayne too, just hopefully with fewer baths). A little bit this season too, by the looks of it, with the Aes Sedai stuff (Siuan is in). If the show ever gets that far, I think the whole White Tower politics angle could work quite well. Even has some "shocking" moments in there, such as when Siuan is deposed and stilled. I reckon they'll build her up a bit more early on than in the books, and make her the same badass she was in the books, so that the audience likes her.

The relationship stuff, yeah definitely. I think they'll play up the relationship between Rand and Egwene, so that when they have to separate it's a bit more complicated than two shy teenagers.

I just hope it sticks around if it's good, and doesn't if it's not. Really hoping Amazon don't ditch it because LotR becomes more of a success (which is likely, but not certain). Though they've had to have planned running them together. Even though WoT was delayed a year, they've had to have known they couldn't do the show in less than half a dozen seasons, presumably.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve basically ground to a halt halfway through Path of Daggers (Book 8).

It’s just got so boring. I know it’s worth holding out for the final three books but I’ve heard that 9 and 10 are even worse.

I’ll stick it out but just wanted to moan.