When do we cut our losses on Maguire?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
With a solid, ball playing and quicker centre back next to him he’d be great. Needs someone better than Lindelof - and that’s not saying I don’t rate Lindelof he’s just not the right man to pair Maguire

JB7

The guy would walk into every other team in the league, these nonsense threads are just ridiculous.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
VVD, Laporte, Dias, Thiago Silva, Alderweireld, Gabriel. In current form you’d have to put Vestegaard & Zouma above him also.

If we’re talking solely ball playing CB’s I rate Lindelof higher than him too. Although I think Maguire is the better overall defender.

Players are paid employees who will literally “feck off” to another club if offered more money. I will still be a United fan long after Maguire has moved on.
You'd probably be saying the same if we had City's centre backs seeing as we're on the same goal difference.

ChaddyP

genuinely thought this was an old thread that was bumped becuase a poster decided to be snarky and say "see i told you he wasnt shit"

SAFMUTD

We don't, buying him for 85M was a clear mistake no one can deny that. But how much could we get if we decided to sell him? 40? maybe 45? I don't think we could buy anyone better than him for that kind of money.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I was a staunch critic of Maguire until very recently. But, I think he has been slightly better in the last few games. My only gripe is him being captain of the club. Not worthy at all. In no logical sense does he warrant the captaincy.

el3mel

With a solid, ball playing and quicker centre back next to him he’d be great. Needs someone better than Lindelof - and that’s not saying I don’t rate Lindelof he’s just not the right man to pair Maguire
Why not say the opposite, that Lindelof is the one who needs a better pairing, for example ?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Put McTominay and Shaw on both sides of him and we're sorted against any side. He is a very good defender, but also a good footballer (that makes him different for example to Smalling, who was only the former).
We don't need to have two rapid CBs, but we need someone to cover for him. He'll do the rest just fine.

Also, every defender needs protection from midfield, I can't wrap my head around it why people watching football don't understand it.

Devil may care

The problem with Maguire is he's closer to O'Shea than Rio, decent enough squad CB who can compete for a spot, but the whole Captain Marvel, always has to start, heroic leader bullshit is detrimental to the team, he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter, it's the price that forces this situation.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Surely would be better to get someone in next to him. No point replacing him just to have the new fella play next to Lindelof

big rons sovereign

Another fun thread. Basically just switched Ole for Maguire. Same names arguing the same points. With no middle ground :houllier:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You just realed off the three main things a CB is asked to have in the modern game and implied he's got neither.

We should have to get someone more solid and basically better for our supposed linchpin and captain in defence. If Maguire wasn't English, he wouldn't be rated much higher than Lindelof and rightfully so.

The problem with Maguire is he's closer to O'Shea than Rio, decent enough squad CB who can compete for a spot, but the whole Captain Marvel, always has to start, heroic leader bullshit is detrimental to the team, he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter, it's the price that forces this situation.
This is it. He's just not as good as what we bought him for.

He can definitely play 2nd fiddle but that means finding a genuine commander in defence.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The price certainly raises expectations to levels he can't match, but he'd comfortably be a first choice centre back for us even if he'd cost 20m, in my view at least. Would be great if he was the third best, but we've got loads of centre backs who aren't good enough and a promising young one who has had problems with injuries.

Maureen-yo

I would class Telles an an elite left back & Bruno as an elite attacking midfielder. Elite as in top 5 in the world in their position. De Gea potentially, with an asterisk right now as he’s got 2 years of poor form to make up for.

Maguire could work as “second centre back” persay, the Joe Gomez, or if you wanna go way back, the Ronny Johnsen. He’s not good enough to be our number one centre back. Nowhere near.
Telles?! Top 5 left backs in the world? Not above Robertson, Alba, Alaba, Guerreiro, Chilwell, Alphonso Davies, Mendy, Sandro or Bernat.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
You just realed off the three main things a CB is asked to have in the modern game and implied he's got neither.

We should have to get someone more solid and basically better for our supposed linchpin and captain in defence. If Maguire wasn't English, he wouldn't be rated much higher than Lindelof and rightfully so.

This is it. He's just not as good as what we bought him for.

He can definitely play 2nd fiddle but that means finding a genuine commander in defence.
Why does him being English have anything to do with it? In fact most of our English centre halves have been fecking shafted on here - normally rightly so - but players like Smalling were much better than people made out.

In fact, his Englishness is a -1 for me. Renowned bottle jobs and poor mentality. But the fact is Maguire has the attributes to be a top player for us, he just needs someone a bit more assured and dynamic than Lindelof. As a pair, theyre weak, but perhaps separately with this mysterious player I’m wanting to acquire they could be great. We need to spunk another £60m+ on a centre half.

Tiber

Since we bought him we’ve heard that we need to find a suitable partner for Harry Maguire, but the problem is, the guy he’s playing next to right now is actually better than him. Yeah, I said it, Lindelof is better than Maguire. As an old fashioned centre back? No, but Maguire wasn’t bought to be an old fashioned centre back, if that was the case we would have just kept Chris Smalling, he was bought to be a ball playing centre back, and he had demonstrated time & time again that he is not capable of doing it at the highest level. In all honestly the guy is an absolute calamity with the ball at his feet. He’s clumsy, slow, panics when pressed & takes 15 touches to do something he could do in 2. Victor Lindelof is a better ball playing defender than Harry Maguire, and Victor Lindelof himself isn’t good enough, so what does that tell you?

We don’t just need 1 centre back, we need 2. Lindelof is fine back up, but honestly, if we can even get half our money back, I’d drive Maguire to his new club myself.

I am interested to hear your takes on this. We obsess so much about “He has to play he cost 80m” forget about his price for a minute. Is Harry Maguire good enough to be starting centre back for a Manchester United team who want to ascend to the next level & start challenging for titles? I think we all know the answer
2025? .

Machine Elements

Hopefully the moment we get a competent manager in charge of the team. Hope the new manager will want to play with a high line and get a pacey defender who is actually a good 1 vs 1 defender and has actual ball playing skills.

rotherham_red

Is it me or has the level of critical thinking here declined massively? It's no coincidence that our defensive record has improved massively since both he and AWB joined. The man has had quality games against big opposition and outside of one or two outliers has been solid.

Is he worth £80m? No, but he didn't set the price. All we can do is judge him on his performances and he has been very, very good for us on that front.

Asger

I mean Pep wanted Maguire to replace Kompany the same year when he won the league title in 2019 so the answer is not ‘’no’’ for sure.
Pep is the worst manager in the world about buying centre backs, his opinion means very little!

cyril C

If there should be a thread on when do we cut our loss on, I am sure Maguire is back of the line, starting with Pogba, Ole, Jones, Rojo, Shaw, Bailey, .....

Footy van de Geek

I don't rate Maguire very highly either. He's a reasonably solid 7/10 CB most weeks, but has way too many glaring weaknesses to pay what we did for him.

When you pay what is a record breaking fee for a glorified Gary Cahill, you expect a van Dijk-esque impact.

Maguire is good at dealing with long diagonals and aerial balls, yet an average marker inside the box and very poor at attacking the ball in the opposition box.

He required either a deep line or pace in and around him to cover for his lack of pace. Prevents us from being able to squeeze up higher.

But he's here now and won't be leaving anytime soon. We wouldn't get anything close to what we paid for him. Terrible use of the Lukaku money. We should have persisted with Smalling for another season while monitoring prospects like Dias, Upamecano and Koundé.

Maguire is better on the ball than Smalling, but not enough to warrant such a large transfer fee. We now need to find a CB to cover for his weaknesses.

Devil may care

The price certainly raises expectations to levels he can't match, but he'd comfortably be a first choice centre back for us even if he'd cost 20m, in my view at least. Would be great if he was the third best, but we've got loads of centre backs who aren't good enough and a promising young one who has had problems with injuries.
Right now I don't feel he's any better than Lindelöf but I can agree he's got to start at the moment as Axel still lacks experience, and basically Rojo is gone and Jones and Bailly are made of egg shells while Mengi isn't even making squads. The issue is I think we have bought ourselves into a corner, neither Maguire or Lindelöf are good enough to be nailed on starters, we should be looking to add 2 CB's and have the 4 compete with Axel as the younger understudy, but because we paid so much money for Maguire we'll only be looking for a partner to cover his weaknesses.

Gazza

I think it's more of an accumulation of posts across the forum about Maguire that has got people being defensive, rather than the OP alone. Although, the thread title is pretty loaded and doesn't really leave much room for discussion.
More of the same as I saw in a thread the other day then - people posting reasonable opinions being jumped on by others who are responding to some make-believe amalgamation of other posters.