When do we cut our losses on Maguire?

Tel074

Is Harry Maguire good enough to be starting centre back for a title winning team? Because if the answer is no why is this the worst thread of the year?
The answer quite obviously isn't no . He is better than Gomez , Wes Morgan and they won titles

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Good thread.

Maguire is terrible for a "big name" center back. Lindelof and Smalling are both better than him. Just look at Leicester's defence not missing a beat once he left. This guy is not good enough.

You will all see the light once he's sold in a couple years - when we inevitably own up to our mistake.

lee82gx

It would be even more difficult to cut loses on him than Pogba. He was the big punt requested by Ole and Jose, and Ole WAS backed.

Have we ever had this amount of doubt over our leading Center back? I know Vida was a wreck in the beginning (just a few months), and Rio also did not have the greatest times when he played with Wes Brown. But during the introduction of Vida, we at least had Rio to cover and with Rio, well lets just say VVD can still learn a thing or two.

I think Ole will stick with him until the bitter end.

The only saving grace is as others have pointed out, give Ole another 100M to sign a partner who will cover his weaknesses. Then he can do what he does best, distribute the ball, participate in a higher line during possession. How on earth did we get into position with 80m spent on him? Most expensive center back ever? Definitely not the best center back in just half of England...

SAFMUTD

He is the world's most expensive defender, it isn't unfair if he gets judged by that the same way Neymar gets judged as the world's most expensive player.
The diference is as if Grealish was the most expensive player in the world. Our obsession to get british players led us to overspend paying elite money for a good but not elite player.

Greck

More of the same as I saw in a thread the other day then - people posting reasonable opinions being jumped on by others who are responding to some make-believe amalgamation of other posters.
2-3 years ago this would have been a Lukaku thread

archiebald

Telles?! Top 5 left backs in the world? Not above Robertson, Alba, Alaba, Guerreiro, Chilwell, Alphonso Davies, Mendy, Sandro or Bernat.
He's probably better than Bernat and current Alba but get your point. Top 5 or not, he's way better as a left back than Shaw.

1nil

It seems every defence in the world is leaking goals atm. If only our forwards could bury their chances we would have something else to talk about...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good thread.

Maguire is terrible for a "big name" center back. Lindelof and Smalling are both better than him. Just look at Leicester's defence not missing a beat once he left. This guy is not good enough.

You will all see the light once he's sold in a couple years - when we inevitably own up to our mistake.
Leicester under Rodgers with Maguire had much better defensive record than under Rodgers without Maguire. Let’s not getting mixed up with Claude Puel.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pep is the worst manager in the world about buying centre backs, his opinion means very little!
I have seen this so many times. It's absolutely no way to justify his transfer.

Pep's track record on defenders is awful from Barca to Bayern to City. Would you buy a car because just because someone else wanted it, even if they already bought a load of cars that were already on the scrap heap?

Maguire is a good defender, I've always thought that. Even when he was relegated at Hull, you could tell that both he and Robertson were very good and much better than the team they were playing in.

But he is just not good enough to be the linchpin in the backline of a team that wants to win major trophies. This just is like Di Maria, Veron, Lukaku, Forlan or even Pogba, good players that for whatever reason don't suit the club. Look how Bonucci faired when he went to Milan, it wasn't working, he went back to Juve a year later, and he's one of the best defenders of the last 10 years.

It happens, if he doesn't start performing to the standard you'd expect from an 80m centre back then you eventually have to cut your losses.
Pep is the worst managers buying full backs but not centre back. So far he has only signed 4 centre backs for City, only 1 of them is shit which is John Stones.

But John Stones is a centre back who is multiple times got dropped to bench by Martinez (Everton manager) the season before City signed him. It was always questionable and has zero logic how a player who can’t be regular at Everton is good enough for Pep’s city.

Maguire is different, the guy is regular with his club Leicester like Laporte at Bilbao and regular in the national team like Dias.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Off course we don’t going to sell Maguire.

This season his form has been awful. Like a train wreck in slow motion. Him and Lindelöf together, or as individuals, has been everywhere except where they should be. The thing that save Harry is his ability in the air and that’s a attribute we can’t be without. That will keep him in the team as long as Lindelöf is our other option.

This partnership is such a miss match that this problem alone is costing us unnecessary points.Both of them are at the same time reactive and passive in their actions, both also have huge problems to communicate in a understandable way with their team mates . Together with DDG and his shyness to give instructions and command his penalty area it’s a recipe for disaster.

The easiest piece in the puzzle to change is Lindelöf because he don’t have any standout attribute that sets him apart from the others. Worthless in the air. Weak in duels. Passive. Shy. Total lack of physical presence in tight situations. Not to mention his total lack of self awareness. Something he share with many others. Best thing that can happen is if Tuanzebe or a academy player take a step up and show intentions or otherwise we must in the near future buy another expensive defender to our collection of useless center backs.

youngrell

More of the same as I saw in a thread the other day then - people posting reasonable opinions being jumped on by others who are responding to some make-believe amalgamation of other posters.
Well, when there’s already several threads of a similar nature, it can get a bit tedious.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Is Harry Maguire good enough to be starting centre back for a title winning team? Because if the answer is no why is this the worst thread of the year?
Of course he is ffs - what the feck do people actually watch. People site Upamecano as his replacement who Rashford made look like Phil Jones. How long until we’d see threads on cutting our losses on him too.

Your opinion on his ball playing ability is an absolute joke too.

There’s plenty of shit in our squad but people insist on getting rid of the actual good ones, the caf ey :houllier:

slir32

Bailey, Rojo and Jones needs to go first before even thinking about shipping out Maguire.

Traub

The problem with Maguire is I don’t think he is good enough to be the main defender in a title winning defence, but he is good enough to be the second best defender. As a result, we should be looking for a more complete defender who Maguire complements as oppose to the other way around if that makes sense.

Problem with Maguire it’s inevitable that he’ll get compared to VVD. But he’s nowhere near as good or influential... is he the worse of our problems? No! Have teams won the league and CL with worse CB? Yes!

As a captain he isn’t the calming influence, too often I see him being cause that spreads panic. As a captain he isn’t the motivational force that gets others to perform better...but as CB are the second CB’s at Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc significantly better than him?

I think he has a part, a major part, but don’t think he’s captain material.

Oldyella

Bailey, Rojo and Jones needs to go first before even thinking about shipping out Maguire.
We said the same about Smalling and they are all still here. Hell, I can see those three still being here when Old Trafford has long gone!

Of course he is ffs - what the feck do people actually watch. People site Upamecano as his replacement who Rashford made look like Phil Jones. How long until we’d see threads on cutting our losses on him too.

Your opinion on his ball playing ability is an absolute joke too.

There’s plenty of shit in our squad but people insist on getting rid of the actual good ones, the caf ey :houllier:
I have no opinion on Upamecano as I’ve rarely watched him play, but that comment loses credibility because Rashford is one the world’s best players in his age group, so it’s normal that he’ll make even very good CB’s look crap when he has a good game

Kostov

Yeah, why don't we go and sell easily the best CB at the club :lol:

The caf never stops surprising you it seem. People obviously can't wait to go back to the days of Lindelof, Jones and Rojo.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I still haven't gotten an answer and I've asked it twice already in thread. I'm genuinely interested, which CB should we get or have gotten back then we were in for Maguire that is a better option than Maguire

Web of Bissaka

After we settle down plenty more issues that takes precedent/priority over this.

And even after that, I'll still be keeping Maguire as the 3rd choice CB... if we finally assembled a good first two choices. Doubt we will but just theoretically speaking. Will only get rid of Maguire once we have 4 far better CBs. That's unlikely to happen considering CBs standards have fallen in football.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I have no opinion on Upamecano as I’ve rarely watched him play, but that comment loses credibility because Rashford is one the world’s best players in his age group, so it’s normal that he’ll make even very good CB’s look crap when he has a good game
Doesn’t lose any credibility at all, because the whole point was even good players have bad games and people on here will moan no matter who is here.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's.. fine. Not bad, not great, but I guess that's the problem when you spend £80m. That doesn't cut it for a lot of people. i didn't want him at the time, I still think it was crazy money, but he's here now and he's better than what we had before him so... that's... fine.

it also doesn't help that there is a real lack of quality CB's right now.

Web of Bissaka

I still haven't gotten an answer and I've asked it twice already in thread. I'm genuinely interested, which CB should we get or have gotten back then we were in for Maguire that is a better option than Maguire
I know right.
Players like VDB, Laporte, Varane, etc are not reasonable - won't ever happen.

At best we can try to get cheaper gems, but then that's always hit and miss.

We should still try it, with new younger CBs that are rated with good potentials. Many names have already popped up, but I'll leave it to the scouts and the whole scouting and decisions making department at the club to pick at least three, if we're serious in getting back to be top best team.

Flexdegea

I've give Maguire plenty stick this season but this thread has to be a joke. :lol:

Would prob been more fitting straight after the spurs match if it was madem

Big elephant in the room is he is clearly our best Centre back at the moment as well.

I will say one thing about Maguire, he certainly ain't Captain material. I dont think he is vocal enough or instils much confidence. Normally good captains lead by example. Think be better suited with Bruno to take some spotlight away from Maguire.

meamth

How can one really doubt the undisputed England first choice center back is not going to get any playing time in all europe's elite?

Seriously?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
one thing this thread has told me is redcafe rates Maguire very very highly. I’m in my 20s, my social circle is predominantly football fans around the same age (Utd/City mostly) literally none of us rate Maguire anywhere near this highly.

May I ask what is so unbelievably impressive about him? Because I can’t speak for all fans, but the majority of people I know don’t think he’s good enough.

Doesn’t lose any credibility at all, because the whole point was even good players have bad games and people on here will moan no matter who is here.
In that context then I understand and agree the point. Any CB can be made to look average, even stupid, by a top quality forward, but when a top quality CB shuts out a top quality forward it usually gets passed off as “ ohhh x striker had a quiet game” unless if it’s the scrappy under pressure, last ditch tackling type of defending

meamth

one thing this thread has told me is redcafe rates Maguire very very highly. I’m in my 20s, my social circle is predominantly football fans around the same age (Utd/City mostly) literally none of us rate Maguire anywhere near this highly.

May I ask what is so unbelievably impressive about him? Because I can’t speak for all fans, but the majority of people I know don’t think he’s good enough.
He is a professional footballer.
1st choice English footballer.
Can dribble.
Can pass.
Above average vision. (if not he will not be first choice for England, caf expert's can't surely have better coaching ability than FA)
Can resist pressure.
Strong.
Very balanced.
Aerial presence.

Still can't see? or you want his name to change to Hermano Maguillon?

RkkMan

People insist we should have stuck with Chris fecking Smalling:houllier::houllier::houllier:
The memories of people are very short here his good form at Roma(where he plays in a back 3) doesn`t negate how average he was here at Utd and how much stick he used to get for being a bambi on ice on the ball. He hasn`t gotten an England call up for almost 3 years now and at 31 likely never will but I`m supposed to believe he`s better than a CB thats actually a regular for his country who`s scored important goals for them(including in a World Cup) and one who has 15 cleansheets in 23 games this season

markhughes

What we do know for sure is that will still need to strengthen our CB position. I’d like to see an athletic, dominant Center half at the club and allow Victor and Harry to fight it out for the other spot, that would create great competition and give us a healthy backup situation.

I don’t think we should sell Harry but I do think that we shouldn’t build our back line around him.

Mengi and Axel seem like good long term options for us but I feel like we need someone in their prime rather than another promising Center half.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Can dribble.
Can pass.
Above average vision. (if not he will not be first choice for England, caf expert's can't surely have better coaching ability than FA)
Can resist pressure.
Strong.
Very balanced.
Aerial presence.

First of all I don’t care if he’s English, Spanish or bloody Azerbaijani, all that matters to me is how good he is. So that tired boring “you only don’t rate him because he’s English” rhetoric that so many on here spew just isn’t applicable whatsoever.

I disagree with the bolded. He’s one of the least pressure resistant players we have. He almost always makes basic mistakes when pressured. I also think his passing is vastly overrated. Lindelof is a far better passer of the ball.

Anyway, I wish you were all right about him. I wish he was the absolute colossal beast that the caf thinks he is, but sadly, he’s not. Whenever he has his next disasterclass & somebody bumps this it’ll be interesting reading that’s for sure.

Gabagoo

Can dribble.
Can pass.
Can resist pressure.
Strong.
Very balanced.
Aerial presence.

If Maguire was at Liverpool and we had instead bought Upamecano, would you still be claiming all of the above about Maguire?

romufc

I don't think people rate him very very highly. The difference is people rate him on his price, which is not the right way. The price and trollers meme every mistake he makes which makes him look like a bad defender.

If you find every mistake that Laporte, Dias, Ramos, Varane, Upamecano make and highlight it on social media, they will look the same as Maguire. The fact that every goal we concede, the first reaction from some fans is "where is Maguire"

It is weird how like you say you and your mates dont rate him but, Pep, Jose, Ole and Southgate all rate him.

Siorac

I think his far and away best attribute is his availability. He's almost never injured and at the club of Rojo, Jones, and Bailly, that is valuable.

Apart from that, though... he's decent in the air — defensively, I mean; his inability to get headers on target is legendary at this point — and he's OK when the team's sitting back, soaking up pressure, looking to hit the opponent on the break. When we want to play on the front foot, he's a bit of a liability because of his lack of pace and agility.

I still think we would have been better off keeping Smalling and spending that 80m elsewhere but we're stuck with him now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I don't think people rate him very very highly. The difference is people rate him on his price, which is not the right way. The price and trollers meme every mistake he makes which makes him look like a bad defender.

If you find every mistake that Laporte, Dias, Ramos, Varane, Upamecano make and highlight it on social media, they will look the same as Maguire. The fact that every goal we concede, the first reaction from some fans is "where is Maguire"

It is weird how like you say you and your mates dont rate him but, Pep, Jose, Ole and Southgate all rate him.
mangers rating a player doesn’t always tell the full story. Jose rated Fellaini & begged for us to give him a new contract, he didn’t rate Salah & De Bruyne & let them both go cheap.