When do we cut our losses on Maguire?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Since we bought him we’ve heard that we need to find a suitable partner for Harry Maguire, but the problem is, the guy he’s playing next to right now is actually better than him. Yeah, I said it, Lindelof is better than Maguire. As an old fashioned centre back? No, but Maguire wasn’t bought to be an old fashioned centre back, if that was the case we would have just kept Chris Smalling, he was bought to be a ball playing centre back, and he had demonstrated time & time again that he is not capable of doing it at the highest level. In all honestly the guy is an absolute calamity with the ball at his feet. He’s clumsy, slow, panics when pressed & takes 15 touches to do something he could do in 2. Victor Lindelof is a better ball playing defender than Harry Maguire, and Victor Lindelof himself isn’t good enough, so what does that tell you?

We don’t just need 1 centre back, we need 2. Lindelof is fine back up, but honestly, if we can even get half our money back, I’d drive Maguire to his new club myself.

I am interested to hear your takes on this. We obsess so much about “He has to play he cost 80m” forget about his price for a minute. Is Harry Maguire good enough to be starting centre back for a Manchester United team who want to ascend to the next level & start challenging for titles? I think we all know the answer

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People might laugh at you but if we had any sort of proper management, planning and ambition, we'd sell him for 30-40 and invest in Upamecano or someone similar.

The guy is just not good enough and he's not that young, so his value will decrease substantially in the coming years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

People might laugh at you but if we had any sort of proper management, planning and ambition, we'd sell him for 30-40 and invest in Upamecano or someone similar.

The guy is just not good enough and he's not that young, so his value will decrease substantially in the coming years.
The bar is on the floor with our fan base sadly. No ambition. The Glazers have played a blinder successfully lowering expectations. Glad there’s at least one fan who won’t accept mediocrity posting in here.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Since we bought him we’ve heard that we need to find a suitable partner for Harry Maguire, but the problem is, the guy he’s playing next to right now is actually better than him. Yeah, I said it, Lindelof is better than Maguire. As an old fashioned centre back? No, but Maguire wasn’t bought to be an old fashioned centre back, if that was the case we would have just kept Chris Smalling, he was bought to be a ball playing centre back, and he had demonstrated time & time again that he is not capable of doing it at the highest level. In all honestly the guy is an absolute calamity with the ball at his feet. He’s clumsy, slow, panics when pressed & takes 15 touches to do something he could do in 2. Victor Lindelof is a better ball playing defender than Harry Maguire, and Victor Lindelof himself isn’t good enough, so what does that tell you?

We don’t just need 1 centre back, we need 2. Lindelof is fine back up, but honestly, if we can even get half our money back, I’d drive Maguire to his new club myself.

I am interested to hear your takes on this. We obsess so much about “He has to play he cost 80m” forget about his price for a minute. Is Harry Maguire good enough to be starting centre back for a Manchester United team who want to ascend to the next level & start challenging for titles? I think we all know the answer
Is this actually a serious thread?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is Harry Maguire good enough to be starting centre back for a title winning team? Because if the answer is no why is this the worst thread of the year?
I mean Pep wanted Maguire to replace Kompany the same year when he won the league title in 2019 so the answer is not ‘’no’’ for sure.

Greck

Is this actually a serious thread?
Timing is wrong and OP might have exaggerated but selling high on Maguire would be a very viable option. If someone came willing to pay 60m following a good run of form we would be sentimental to refuse it. I don't know if he fits how Ole wants to play or if we want him to be a long term starter

monosierra

Timing is wrong and OP might have exaggerated but selling high on Maguire would be a very viable option. If someone came willing to pay 60m following a good run of form we would be sentimental to refuse it
The problem being no one is going to spend 60m on him even with a good run of form. We overpaid vastly but that's a sunk cost.

Volumiza

Timing is wrong and OP might have exaggerated but selling high on Maguire would be a very viable option. If someone came willing to pay 60m following a good run of form we would be sentimental to refuse it
Your post is as crazy as the OP. We’ve paid a lot of money for Maguire and he’s a fantastic player and will serve our team for years to come, why on earth would we sell our best CB at a £20m loss after 1 year?

Seven Seas Sardines

Timing is wrong and OP might have exaggerated but selling high on Maguire would be a very viable option. If someone came willing to pay 60m following a good run of form we would be sentimental to refuse it. I don't know if he fits how Ole wants to play or if we want him to be a long term starter
If we'd get anything above 60m we could get Upamecano and a promising LCB. No-brainer really.

el3mel

I honestly don't know why are people hating on the thread. He said nothing wrong.

And Maguire was imo our worst player yesterday in comparison to the performance of other players around him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Never. We hugely overpayed, made a mistake and must live with it. We could get 40 mil maybe if we sell him next year. Which we will not of course.

Fluctuation0161

Give him time to recover FFS.

He had a terrible Summer. Not saying the Summer wasn't partly his fault but he needs a break.

Greck

Your post is as crazy as the OP. We’ve paid a lot of money for Maguire and he’s a fantastic player and will serve our team for years to come, why on earth would we sell our best CB at a £20m loss after 1 year?
Let's just say this is a matter of opinion.

Lanesy

Honestly can’t understand the hate on Maguire, he’s everything I want in a centre back. Big, commanding, strong, has a good array of passing, he can bring the ball out from the back and he’s no slouch either.

I seem to remember Rio having a massive dip in form in 05/06 when all the new contract talk was going on.

Form is temporary, and he’s shown a lot of resiliency recently.

el3mel

Let’s hope they do because this thread is fecking nonsense. Maguire can easily be part of a title winning team.
This is your opinion. He has a different one. Nothing firmly confirms which one is the right to label the other "nonsense".

fps

Pretty obviously feeling his back during yesterday’s match.

Great to see the team win 4-1 and some genius think “this is the thing to focus on” though.

AshRK

So we cannot hate on James as he did score yesterday so let us hate on Maguire. The timing of this thread is as bad as Phil Jones' fitness.

Volumiza

This is your opinion. He has a different one. Nothing firmly confirms which one is the right to label the other "nonsense".
Whatever. Of all the problems at our club Maguire is way down the list and for someone to suggest we accept £60m for him is bullshit (in my opinion of course)

Greck

His way of handling dissenting opinion really is awful for discussion

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Lock this thread before a page is complete
“I disagree with him so censor his opinion”

We sure do have a lot of Maguire fans on here. It’s nothing personal, I just don’t think he is good enough if we are going to get to where we want to be. Y’all need to chill.

I can’t help but feel like the bar is on the floor with a portion of our fan base. Many seem perfectly content with us not challenging for a title any time soon. I just can’t relate to that.

youngrell

Can we stop writing off our players after one or two bad performances? It's like none of our stars of yesteryear ever had a bad game.

Maguire is our captain, strongest centre back and also fit every week, which is a novelty in itself for this position at our club.

Nobody is going to coming offering us anything, because nobody will expect he would be available for sale.

K Stand Knut

The latest UWS podcast is quite interesting this week.

Andy Mitten said Jose wanted Maguire but demanded that we don’t pay more than £50m, which Leicester obviously refused.

Volumiza

His way of handling dissenting opinion really is awful for discussion
Ok I apologise but I’ve literally just logged on and this is what I see. I just don’t see Maguire as a big enough issue at this stage to even consider selling him.

He solid. He’s just finding his way back after a pretty tumultuous time and I’m still of the opinion he will serve us well.

lysglimt

Scout

And the first time Upamecano had a match like he had against us - people would start calling for his head

youngrell

The latest UWS podcast is quite interesting this week.

Andy Mitten said Jose wanted Maguire but demanded that we don’t pay more than £50m, which Leicester obviously refused.
Does that ring true to you? I mean, Jose, caring about the cost of a player?

RedDevilzFox

Centre backs always work best in pairings. Maldini next to Mustafi would look like sub par.

Maguire is more than good enough. There aren't a lot of WC CB talent out there. If there is an opportunity to improve, by all means we should look at improving. But its hardly the most pressing area. I'd wager a Carrick 'like' player would add so much more to us in terms of bang for the buck than simply replacing a more than adequate CB.

I also think this place has this weird notion that title winning teams must have a world beater in every position. It wasn't true of our time with SAF it isn't true of any other title winning team recently. Plenty of title winning teams have fielded average or above average players. Its the sum of the parts that counts!!!