When do we go Europa or bust?

TRUERED89

I think it’s fair to see the likes of Jones, Bailly , Lindelof , Lingard , Pereira will not improve by playing against the best times
Feck it why bother then, lets just finish 17th. And while we're at it, Feck having a 75,000 capacity stadium too, lets just swap with Salford FC.

TRUERED89

Di Maria says hi
You pay extortionate wages and fee's without CL. The desperation element comes into play, and then often become "only came for the money not the football". Di Maria was all of those things, plus an absolute p*ssy too.

Devil81

I think it’s fair to see the likes of Jones, Bailly , Lindelof , Lingard , Pereira will not improve by playing against the best times
Why on earth have you brought up the deadwood.

As @TRUERED89 pointed out you won't pull in the top level players to replace them without Champions league football.

Also it's worth pointing out you need a squad, Sir Alex had the likes of Henning Berg, David May, Jesper Blomqvist and so on to cover for his main men. You can't have a squad full of world class players as they will just be wars about playing week in week out.

Red00012

Feck it why bother then, lets just finish 17th. And while we're at it, Feck having a 75,000 capacity stadium too, lets just swap with Salford FC.
It’s not what I’m getting at. Would you take skipping Europe for a season to improve long term ?

Red00012

As @TRUERED89 pointed out you won't pull in the top level players to replace them without Champions league football.

Also it's worth pointing out you need a squad, Sir Alex had the likes of Henning Berg, David May, Jesper Blomqvist and so on to cover for his main men. You can't have a squad full of world class players as they will just be wars about playing week in week out.
Berg and May always came in and did a decent shift. The players I named are regulars and have done nothing Of the sort.

Red00012

You pay extortionate wages and fee's without CL. The desperation element comes into play, and then often become "only came for the money not the football". Di Maria was all of those things, plus an absolute p*ssy too.
You can’t blame our extortionate wages on not been in CL. Jesus look at the state of our squad

Devil81

Berg and May always came in and did a decent shift. The players I named are regulars and have done nothing Of the sort.
They did a decent shift as they had better players around them, you can carry the odd player if you've got a team like the 99 team.

This squad/team isn't in their league. Let's not make out Berg and May would massively improve the current eleven.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Di Maria says hi
I'd say we were his only option as Real wanted rid and PSG could not afford him at that time. We had also brought in an experienced coach. This summer will show if Ole can attract players, that is if we have not changed managers of course.

TRUERED89

It’s not what I’m getting at. Would you take skipping Europe for a season to improve long term ?
If we're genuinely fighting for the league next season then yes i'd get over it. But that's not going to happen, so CL is absolutely crucial whichever way it is achieved (EL win or T4)

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think we have to acknowledge that the Europa is probably our best option of any European football next season now.
Of course if we lose to Chelsea, top 4 would seem to be gone, especially with City & Spurs on the horizon.
Infact, in the League, I'm not sure that I can see us realistically improving on our current position of 8th, which means that we won't even qualify for Europe unless we win this season's Europa League.

Red00012

I'd say we were his only option as Real wanted rid and PSG could not afford him at that time. We had also brought in an experienced coach. This summer will show if Ole can attract players, that is if we have not changed managers of course.
We’ll spend the next 6 months talking about Sancho

DomesticTadpole

They did a decent shift as they had better players around them, you can carry the odd player if you've got a team like the 99 team.

This squad/team isn't in their league. Let's not make out Berg and May would massively improve the current eleven.
Always remember Berg's performance against Inter in 1999 it was outstanding. Was unfortunate to then get injured. You say about them having better players round them, but Jones and co. have hung around for ever. That should not have been allowed to happen. Ole says he follows SAF, well he got rid of players as soon as they had no use to him.

Devil81

Always remember Berg's performance against Inter in 1999 it was outstanding. Was unfortunate to then get injured. You say about them having better players round them, but Jones and co. have hung around for ever. That should not have been allowed to happen. Ole says he follows SAF, well he got rid of players as soon as they had no use to him.
Of the names mentioned you've brought up the running joke Jones, David May didn't play very often and he hung about rather move away lets not forget that.

Berg was decent player, yes I remember the game he was fantastic but if were honest it was his highlight of his time with United.

DomesticTadpole

Of the names mentioned you've brought up the running joke Jones, David May didn't play very often and he hung about rather move away lets not forget that.

Berg was decent player, yes I remember the game he was fantastic but if were honest it was his highlight of his time with United.
Funny how we seemed to buy a number of players from Blackburn. May was a backup, nothing more, I tend to agree about Berg. It makes me laugh when people ring MUTV and call David May a legend. That word gets thrown about far too easily. All because of that bloody photograph.

DomesticTadpole

Pogba, Zlatan, Di Maria....
We had renowned managers in the place at the time. If we do this summer if will help. If Ole has us finishing even further down the table. It could be a problem. Established international might have second thoughts.

romufc

We had renowned managers in the place at the time. If we do this summer if will help. If Ole has us finishing even further down the table. It could be a problem. Established international might have second thoughts.
So now you need a manager as well?

First its no CL no player
Then its no CL, No renowned manager no player.

Bruno is an established international, he had no hesitation joining Manutd, same with Maguire.

DomesticTadpole

So now you need a manager as well?

First its no CL no player
Then its no CL, No renowned manager no player.

Bruno is an established international, he had no hesitation joining Manutd, same with Maguire.
We'll see won't we. I am hoping we get Grealish as he has the fight in him to succeed here, as I said Sancho would be the cherry on top of the cake. We are still being linked with Bellingham, he needs to be playing to me, he cannot go to playing regularly at Birmingham to hardly ever playing here. Maybe a good loan would be better for him.

romufc

We'll see won't we. I am hoping we get Grealish as he has the fight in him to succeed here, as I said Sancho would be the cherry on top of the cake. We are still being linked with Bellingham, he needs to be playing to me, he cannot go to playing regularly at Birmingham to hardly ever playing here. Maybe a good loan would be better for him.
Yeah, it depends on the conversation a player and manager have, we have alot to offer to Sancho.

I too hope we get Grealish, it seems he wants to play for United as well. In respects to Bellingham, I do not think we are there are a team to sign a £30m player and loan him, all our signings have to be first team quality imo.

Alabaster Codify7

We signed Di Maria, Falcao, Ibrahimovic & Pogba without CL football.
Oh, Im sure we could still tempt such players simply by overpaying their wages. But I thought we were moving away from that type of signing, and rightly so - and that means trying to convince them to join us for reasonable wages, Europa League football and a (just in my opinion, of course) terrible coaching team.

Robertd0803

We dont win vs Chelsea and the following game and we may as well go all in with the Europa League.

fps

Blomqvist played a magic champions league match against United, I reckon that’s what persuaded Fergie to sign him. He struggled with injuries I think?