When is McTominay going to be recognised as the next Steven Gerrard?

romufc

Fletcher was, Brown played for England and deffo was, Park no and Hernandez was one of the better goal scorers in the league. You underrating them
Okay, lets take that then.

Maguire, Rashford, Shaw all play for England so they are the best in the country.
McTominay is one of the best goal scoring midfielders in the league

Stacks

Okay, lets take that then.

Maguire, Rashford, Shaw all play for England so they are the best in the country.
McTominay is one of the best goal scoring midfielders in the league
Well yes. Maguire Rashford and Shaw are in the top 5 in their position in the country no doubt!

I don't understand the McTom reference

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Personally I think we should stick to 4-2-3-1 and just find a suitable partner for him. Defensively sound but energetic and good on the ball (but no attacking midfielder converted to deep midfielder). Tielemans maybe?

I'd love if he developed some better positioning to play singe defensive pivot if we needed to seal the midfield in some games.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He'll win more Premier League titles than Gerrard.
He wouldnt be sold to another top 4 team (he's not quite good enough, even if utd accepted the offer. He'll have a gentlty downward career trajectory for me. This season and next season playing for utd. Sold in the summer 2022 to Villa

romufc

Well yes. Maguire Rashford and Shaw are in the top 5 in their position in the country no doubt!

I don't understand the McTom reference
Well you said Hernandez was better scoring so he was top in his position

McTominay is one of the highest scoring CM's in the league so why are you underrating him?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When he becomes the next Steven Gerrard, I imagine.

simplyared

The Roy Keane comparison isn't as crazy as it sounds. Box to box, tough to play against, drives the ball forward, heart on his sleave and scores from outside the box. Let's wait and see!

gulli_G

When he has his first slip and also has kicked thin air kinstead of the ball).

Lentwood

It’s all comes down to the narrative set by the media generally, like anything in life. If you say something often enough, it becomes true.

According to the narrative, McTominay is a decent but limited midfield player who isn’t “United standard” and is picked because of his work-rate and passion.

Therefore, half of this forum generally see it that way by default.

I’m not going to make this about Rashford but think about how the narrative around him is different. Why is McTominay not a “wonderkid” or a “world class talent”?

McTominay has been a regular in the centre of our midfield from, what, 21? Yet I’ve never really heard any pundit suggest the lad might have any talent!

Massively under-appreciated in my book. Could be United’s Jordan Henderson, and I say that as a clear compliment!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sticking to the question. Realistically, if he is able to maintain his rate of important, I would say a couple more seasons.
But I dislike such comparisons. He has specific attributes as well as specific weaknesses. His job is to turn those weaknesses into strengths.
To me, his most important attribute is his strength of character and that you cannot coach.

Stacks

It’s all comes down to the narrative set by the media generally, like anything in life. If you say something often enough, it becomes true.

According to the narrative, McTominay is a decent but limited midfield player who isn’t “United standard” and is picked because of his work-rate and passion.

Therefore, half of this forum generally see it that way by default.

I’m not going to make this about Rashford but think about how the narrative around him is different. Why is McTominay not a “wonderkid” or a “world class talent”?

McTominay has been a regular in the centre of our midfield from, what, 21
? Yet I’ve never really heard any pundit suggest the lad might have any talent!

Massively under-appreciated in my book. Could be United’s Jordan Henderson, and I say that as a clear compliment!
Because he isn't that great a prospect, compared with his peers. He was considered an England reject at 21 which forced him to commit to Scotland. Rashford was starting for England alonside Kane and Sterling. He even went to the world cup. Now Scotland play him (Scotty) CB rather than CM, so how is he a CM wonderkid? He hasn't been playing regular CM. Last season was the first time he played more than 800 minutes in a league season.

Nothing about him reads wonderkid. Wonderkids are wonderkids because they are already superior to many or most of their senior contemporaries in their position. PS he is 24!

Rashford competed for the golden boy etc. Nothing to do with the media. lots of teams will produce a McTominay but very few will produce a Rashford. James Ward Prowse is far better and I would be happy if Scott could even become him. In fact I would swap them if we were after British talent.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
he's a tidy decent player, don't think he'll make Gerrard level but you never know, should be a decent 1st team / squad player to have for the next 10 years

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
The Roy Keane comparison isn't as crazy as it sounds. Box to box, tough to play against, drives the ball forward, heart on his sleave and scores from outside the box. Let's wait and see!
Yes. The really big difference though is that Keane never gave the ball away and was superb defensively. McT has a tendency to not close down people at the edge of our box.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sticking to the question. Realistically, if he is able to maintain his rate of important, I would say a couple more seasons.
But I dislike such comparisons. He has specific attributes as well as specific weaknesses. His job is to turn those weaknesses into strengths.
To me, his most important attribute is his strength of character and that you cannot coach.
Yeah, if he keeps improving like he did, then he will be very good option for us. He has all the attributes too, he is very strong, very good ability to drive with ball, quick feet. He should improve his passing between the lines, he messes up those passes but does well with long passes.

Also he strikes the ball very cleanly.

Apokalips

It's crazy how goals affect people's rating of a player. Same thing with Ramos, although he actually is a great defender, being rated higher than he should because he scores goals.

McTominay is young and can improve, but he is just a better version of Darron Gibson at the moment as opposed to Roy Keane or Steven Gerrard level. He does not progress the ball well either through passing or moving it and often fails to offer himself as a good option in midfield. He is getting himself in and around the box well this season, but apart from that he is a decent-good player and not a wonderkid or anything close.

Ekeke

*Fellaini

And I mean that in the kindest terms. Plenty to still improve on as a midfielder but a big threat in the air and can get us some goals, sometimes off the bench too. But he's 24 and probably as much of a threat as peak Fellaini so plenty of time to become a much better player

Stacks

It's crazy how goals affect people's rating of a player. Same thing with Ramos, although he actually is a great defender, being rated higher than he should because he scores goals.

McTominay is young and can improve, but he is just a better version of Darron Gibson at the moment as opposed to Roy Keane or Steven Gerrard level. He does not progress the ball well either through passing or moving it and often fails to offer himself as a good option in midfield. He is getting himself in and around the box well this season, but apart from that he is a decent-good player and not a wonderkid or anything close.
Its all about goals. All your other attributes get a boost once you grab that goal. Your passing improves substantially

wolvored

McTominey is gradually getting better. He is learning the late runs into the box and scoring. His long passing is getting better. His tackling and winning the ball as well.
Saying that Gerrard at 20 was better than McTominey now at 24. Forget the hate, we would have signed Gerrard if we had have had the chance, i.e. he played for Spurs instead of Liverpool for example, as would all the big clubs around the world. If Gerrard at his peak was an a+, Mctom at the moment is c+, but gradually improving.

Lee565

He is not Gerrard, he is more of a modern day gullit considering he can in midfield, in defence (scotland) and very likely as a striker seeing as that was his original position at youth level.

Stacks

He is not Gerrard, he is more of a modern day gullit considering he can in midfield, in defence (scotland) and very likely as a striker seeing as that was his original position at youth level.
Someone talking my language. He will retire as a striker. I can see him in his 30s playing CF for Wickham or Derby or something

redmanx

I'd like to think Scott has more ambition than that and would prefer to be compared to Roy Keane, not Gerrard.

Luke1995

If he starts scoring some big long range goals, consistently that would go a long way. Gerrard was very good at that

Luke1995

But he was no Roy Keane or Paul Scholes.
Keane and Scholes was such a unique midfield pairing though. Not sure if many clubs had that mix of technique, good defending and general commanding of midfield.

Gerrard's peak was when he played with Xabi Alonso I think, but Scholes and Keane played together many years.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

Mad that, innit?

Eire Red United

It's crazy how goals affect people's rating of a player.[/B] Same thing with Ramos, although he actually is a great defender, being rated higher than he should because he scores goals.

You’d nearly think they won you games..

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He's not a Gerrard or Gullit, FFS! But, he's a good player and you can see he'll probably make season on season improvements, which is a great thing. He could end up as good as Darren Fletcher, possibly better.

MrBest

You cannot fault his wprk ethic and passion but Mctominay is at best, a really good squad player. We need people like him in the squad, he is only 24 and who knows how much better he can get. It feels good to have a solid player in the team like we had Fletcher, Butt, Phil Neville all them years ago. You dont need 20 world class players, you need some like Scott.

Brightonian

He's playing a hell of a lot better than a 'good squad player' at the moment.

I think we're so wary of being accused of overrating a British or home-grown player on this forum we miss what's under our noses sometimes. Liverpool won the league with a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner. I wouldn't swap Scott for any of those.

Red00012

It's crazy how goals affect people's rating of a player. Same thing withh Ramos, although he actually is a great defender, being rated higher than he should because he scores goals.

You’d swear the whole objective of a game is to score goals the way people go on about it...

hubbuh

Yes. The really big difference though is that Keane never gave the ball away and was superb defensively. McT has a tendency to not close down people at the edge of our box.
Yeah, Keane had great awareness and positional sense. McTominay is a really great player to have in the squad though and his fantastic goal return is not something I'd anticipated. Hard not to love him.

hubbuh

He’s playing exactly how I thought Van de Beek would. Late runs, great finishes, solid in possession.
Exactly. It's really, really hard to see Van de Beek ever really fitting. It's not nice to say but he's a bit pointless for this United team at the moment. I feel for him and hope it works out somehow.