When SAF was supposed to retire in 2002, who was your favorite successor?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't actually remember but I think I might have wanted Fabio Capello as I was a huge fan of his Scudetto winning Roma side with a front three of Totti, Batistuta and Montella.

ghagua

LvG actually. he was actually very good then and still had his balls to play attacking football.

Sir Scott McToMinay

The very prototype of Simeone.
Hardly.
Valencia under Cuper were fantastic to watch, can’t say the same about Simeone’s Madrid.

:rolleyes: I wasn't using it as a dig against United. More that by thinking O'Neil could be manager isn't as embarrassing as it seems as a similar level manager actually was appointed.
I was just messing around...

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Thankfully it wasn't all noise about it at the time in Poland and my English wasn't good enough to read your media.

cyril C

To be fair to LVG and put him into perspective. Is LVG a terrible coach? I don't think so, he has had enormous success both at club and country level. Could he be out-dated, possible and I won't drill into it.

Man Utd was lacking capability on ball possession and we didn't know how to pass the ball, so LVG was a good choice. We were terrible in our passing game does not mean it was entirely LVG's fault, it could be many factors. I think it was due to Mourinho's availability that prompt the club to haste his departure, although I doubt he would be able to drastically improve our game given that he has failed miserably on MF procurement, so relying on Fergi era of ageing MF won't make the cut.

Assuming we keep LVG for another 3 seasons and should the club spend another 200m on MF improvement given that he has failed in 1st attempt, I don't think so.
We are talking about 2002/3, LVG was manager of Barca, he even managed BM later on. How would you know he would have wasted 200m back in 2002? You judge a person base on what he did 15 years later.