When was the last time United 'dominated' a big team like that?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We've obviously had big results before this even with previous managers but I can't recall apart from 'Juanfield' where we took on a high calibre team and made them look so poor whilst playing scintillating attacking football ourselves. It wasn't just counter-attacking football, we were having sustained periods of domination with the ball.

Can you recall any?

GO!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We thrashed Chelsea at the start of the season and looked pretty dominant against them for the most part.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That run of games LvG had in his first season was the closest I can think of. Beat Spurs, City and Liverpool at Anfield in a stretch, looking dominant.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Did we dominate? We were shrewd, and played incredibly well. Out of our skin in fact.

But we can’t pretend we ‘dominated’ the game, can we?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Did we dominate? We were shrewd, and played incredibly well. Out of our skin in fact.

We didn’t “dominate” this one.
Naturally, the team that was 2-0 down at home and going for the title was bound to throw the kitchen sink at us at some stage but I thought on the whole, we looked much more superior in all departments based on this one off game.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
We thrashed Chelsea at the start of the season and looked pretty dominant against them for the most part.
Did we, though? As i recall, we hit them with 4 counters and they missed countless chances. Could be wrong. The way we created chance after chance in the first half today felt more dominating than the Chelsea match.

RightSaidFredTheRed

First half we completely dominated. Could easily have been 0-5

Second half agreed we barely did anything, but still had one or two chances.

dove

We dominated in the first half, City in the 2nd.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did we, though? As i recall, we hit them with 4 counters and they missed countless chances. Could be wrong. The way we created chance after chance in the first half today felt more dominating than the Chelsea match.
That's probably fair, I'd still say a 4-0 win has to go down as a dominant performance though. Chelsea certainly weren't all over us - in the end it was a comfortable win. For some baffling reason this side seems to be so much better against the big sides than relegation fodder. Bizarre. :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Chelsea twice this season, Spurs a few days ago...
Chelsea we got lucky, the first game they dominated us and we got away with it. Spurs - yes, but they were shockingly poor whereas this was against a side which had come off a very good performance against Burnley and we looked sexy, very sexy.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wouldn't call it dominant, as such, considering they had the lions share of possession and a number of efforts on goal.

It was an excellent defensive/counter-attacking display though.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
That's probably fair, I'd still say a 4-0 win has to go down as a dominant performance though. Chelsea certainly weren't all over us - in the end it was a comfortable win. For some baffling reason this side seems to be so much better against the big sides than relegation fodder. Bizarre. :lol:
Of course. Ye, it's crazy how we perform so well against good teams and then can't unlock low defenses.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Chelsea we got lucky, the first game they dominated us and we got away with it. Spurs - yes, but they were shockingly poor whereas this was against a side which had come off a very good performance against Burnley and we looked sexy, very sexy.
Come on. They started well for 15 minutes in that game against us and then we tore them apart the rest of the game and won 4-0 with them not having any chances after the early 2 that hit the woodwork. It's like saying Barcelona in 2009 was lucky because we missed a few chances at the start of the game.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
First 45 we could've scored 4 goals. Second half City with their quality, obviously took over.

spiriticon

Last time we had a team good enough to 'dominate' a big team was in 2008/2009.

The_Midfielder

We've obviously had big results before this even with previous managers but I can't recall apart from 'Juanfield' where we took on a high calibre team and made them look so poor whilst playing scintillating attacking football ourselves. It wasn't just counter-attacking football, we were having sustained periods of domination with the ball.

Can you recall any?

GO!
Spurs... 2 days back..??

izec

Under van Gaal, we dominated whole games, from start to finish.

Today, it was just for the first 35 minutes, then we gave them control, sometimes on purpose, but more often because we had no composure. Especially in the second half, City obviously dominated, but more than we would have liked.

SteveW

The was pretty much the perfect away performance. Hugely impressive. Instructive to see Rashford saying he was disappointed not to get a 3rd or 4th and finish it. Arrogance coming back

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Come on. They started well for 15 minutes in that game against us and then we tore them apart the rest of the game and won 4-0 with them not having any chances after the early 2 that hit the woodwork. It's like saying Barcelona in 2009 was lucky because we missed a few chances at the start of the game.
Not true at all. We got a goal against the run of play but even then we massively struggled until the 65th minute when we got another goal again completely against the run of play at which point Chelsea disintegrated. They had 54% possession and 18 shots to our 11. They looked much more cohesive in that particular game. We looked much better in the recent game.

Icemav

Yep. We Dominated for about 25 mins and could have racked up 4 goals. Apart from that the game could have ended in a draw. Still and fantastic performance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not true at all. We got a goal against the run of play but even then we massively struggled until the 65th minute when we got another goal again completely against the run of play at which point Chelsea disintegrated. They had 54% possession and 18 shots to our 11. They looked much more cohesive in that particular game. We looked much better in the recent game.
https://understat.com/match/11652
They had possession and pot shots from range, but not real chances. Wasn't a 4-0 game, but we were by far the better team.

Siorac

No, not really, that's revisionism. We got gifted a goal because Zouma was an idiot but even after that Chelsea were the better team until we hit them on the break twice after the hour mark. We certainly weren't tearing them apart until then. We had four shots on target in the entire game - efficient, sure, but it was very very very far from Barcelona 2009.

evil_geko

Some people on here and in general tend to mistake "ball possession" for " domination". We dominated even with less ball possession, and yes, it is possible.

Mindhunter

I don't think we have the same definition of "domination". We had a game plan that we almost executed to perfection. The idea was to stretch their vulnerable defense and hit them through quick counters. We obviously had the better chances in the game and looked more threatening overall.

However, they had more of the ball and had some decent chances too. Towards the end, it was bodies on the line stuff so definitely not a dominating performance. I would call what Spurs did today as domination.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think we have the same definition of "domination". We had a game plan that we almost executed to perfection. The idea was to stretch their vulnerable defense and hit them through quick counters. We obviously had the better chances in the game and looked more threatening overall.

However, they had more of the ball and had some decent chances too. Towards the end, it was bodies on the line stuff so definitely not a dominating performance. I would call what Spurs did today as domination.
For me domination is when a team can’t ‘live with you’ and for a large part of that game I felt they couldn’t live with us which considering the difference in quality of the sides, they’re at home and going for title ... you have to take into account the context, it would have been very very difficult to basically not let them have any period of sustained possession or chance creation phase. That was always going to be a given.

Despite that I thought we had enough about us to not just be a pure counter side but in the first half we were stroking the ball around with a great deal of swagger.

Mindhunter

For me domination is when a team can’t ‘live with you’ and for a large part of that game I felt they couldn’t live with us which considering the difference in quality of the sides, they’re at home and going for title ... you have to take into account the context, it would have been very very difficult to basically not let them have any period of sustained possession or chance creation phase. That was always going to be a given.

Despite that I thought we had enough about us to not just be a pure counter side but in the first half we were stroking the ball around with a great deal of swagger.
Absolutely no doubt about that. We were the better team and deserved our win. Their defense was tore to sheds by our front three. We threatened every time we won the ball and they were clueless about how to stop the onslaught. Also, we performed much better than expected at an away game against our more successful (recently) cross-city rival so it means much more to us fans.

However, to call it a domination, there needs to be more of a difference between the performance levels and the scoreline through the entirety of the match. We played scintillating, high-intensity football and defended like our lives depended on it but it surely wasn't a domination.

Eddy_JukeZ

Probably Juanfield.

We were excellent today in the 1st. We tailed off in the 2nd, but at least we held on.

Oddly, the best we've ever played against a Pep led team imo.

Paul_Scholes18

It was a brilliant first half from us today. Can't remember a better half from us for a long time.

lysglimt

Scout
They were by far the better side in the first half. Once we got 2 and 3-0 in the space of 2 minutes - they gave up.

spiriticon

Domination for me, is everything. More possession, more shots (on target), more chances created, more xG, less key saves..everything.

So I can't actually remember the last time we 'dominated' but hey, does it really matter?

RightSaidFredTheRed

Not Bizarre, we have a rapid counter attacking team who need space to play.

Against lesser sides we don't have the players to unlock defences. We don't have the target man any more. We don't have natural wingers to cross. We don't have a Carrick like incisive passer. We don't have a Fernandes for rapid creative opportunities or smart quick shots. Our defence is also relatively new and didn't get a pre season due to the very slow progression in buying Maguire so we are conceeding some sloppy chances.

A proper AM like Fernandes or even a Dybala would probably dramatically change our output versus poor teams, but we may also need that bigger target man.

With Haaland and Fernandes i think we'd be comfortably top 4.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There was no domination except for the first 30 mins and that was when the damage was done.
Whatever we think after that is arbitrary really. We coped with their rather pithy attack and held out.
Sport often is about taking the opportunities when they’re offered and sometimes about sublime performances over the whole course of a match. We’ve yet to see the ‘perfect,’ game this season but that was as close to perfect tactics as it gets