When will 4K TV (Ultra HD) happen?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
4k content still isn't getting widespread support and its just starting to reach midrange tv prices so dont think its a standard format that everyone owns. Of 20 odd people i can think of off the top of my head 2 have 4k tv's. His post is still right and 15 years is probably a pretty good prediction.
Pretty much all streaming services I know of support UHD/4k content, which is the way most people consume entertainment these days. I literally haven't watched normal TV outside of CBeebies, BBC News and international sports in years.

Edit: I was just playing around in my original post though, I don't think robocop is a fool.

caid

Pretty much all streaming services I know of support UHD/4k content, which is the way most people consume entertainment these days. I literally haven't watched normal TV outside of CBeebies, BBC News and international sports in years.

Edit: I was just playing around in my original post though, I don't think robocop is a fool.
I haven't looked into it in a good while to be fair. Does support mean all the content is in 4k or does it mean like 20% of content is in 4k and most newer stuff is getting 4k releases while the vast majority of the library remains 1080?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I haven't looked into it in a good while to be fair. Does support mean all the content is in 4k or does it mean like 20% of content is in 4k and most newer stuff is getting 4k releases while the vast majority of the library remains 1080?
Stuff like iPlayer is obviously behind with only a select few things but I think the majority of stuff on Disney+ is UHD, and imagine similar can be said for Prime and Netflix

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Everyone gets 4K wrong. IF you are sitting like 3m+ away from the TV you are not going to see any difference over 1080p.
People always say this and the thing about TV size, but I'm 3m away from a 40inch TV and can definitely see a big improvement with 4K.

Bosws87

People always say this and the thing about TV size, but I'm 3m away from a 40inch TV and can definitely see a big improvement with 4K.
Difference is easily noticeable, same crap with refresh rates and framerates its easy to tell instantly.

1080p to 4k is night and day, even on a 21" monitor.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I watch whatever I can in 4K

The difference in football when you hit the button to go to 4k is incredibly impressive

In terms of streaming apps. Netflix and Prime do look better but not massively different. What I dont understand is how Apple TV which is also streaming looks significanly better in 4K

Bosws87

I watch whatever I can in 4K

The difference in football when you hit the button to go to 4k is incredibly impressive

In terms of streaming apps. Netflix and Prime do look better but not massively different. What I dont understand is how Apple TV which is also streaming looks significanly better in 4K
Be bitrate i'd imagine netflix and prime will use as small as possible to save bandwidth, theres a huge advantage to Apple TV 10mbps more.

PLATFORMBITRATE 4KBITRATE 1080pBITRATE 720p
Apple TV +26 Mbps8,84 Mbps2,56 Mbps
Disney +16,59 Mbps7,42 Mbps4,42 Mbps
Netflix16,64 Mbps6,44 Mbps3,06 Mbps
Video premium10,02 Mbps5,12 Mbps3,18 Mbps
HBOND3,75 Mbps2,55 Mbps
The movieND4,13 Mbps2,57 Mbps
FlixOléND6,66 Mbps2,68 Mbps
Atresplayer PremiumND3,68 Mbps2,4 Mbps
RTVE AlacartaNDND2,79 Mbps
SkyNDND3,26 Mbps
FuboTVNDND3,2 Mbps

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same. And I used to always trot out the same line before I saw for myself. Although I think part of the difference might be psychological? Like you don’t stay consistently 3m away and every time you get up and walk around it makes the difference much more noticeable.

Plus whenever United score I’m likely to get up for a closer look at the replays. A depressingly rare occurrence last season. The more likely a match involving us is broadcast in UHD, the less likely we are to score!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Im not even sure i can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p 3m away from a 40 inch tv. 3 meters? Are you sure you meant 3m? 2m maybe. But inverse square law, that would double the relative size of the tv

Bosws87

Im not even sure i can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p 3m away from a 40 inch tv. 3 meters? Are you sure you meant 3m? 2m maybe. But inverse square law, that would double the relative size of the tv
the jump from 720p to 1080p is only about 1 million more pixels which isn't a huge leap, the jump from 1080p to 4k is like 6 million pixels.

So it would be far more difficult to notice at any distance to see 720p/1080p

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
the jump from 720p to 1080p is only about 1 million more pixels which isn't a huge leap, the jump from 1080p to 4k is like 6 million pixels.

So it would be far more difficult to notice at any distance to see 720p/1080p
720p = less than 1m pixels
1080p = just over 2m pixels
4k = a bit over 8m pixels.

It is far easier to see the difference between 720p and 1080p that 1080p and 4k

Bosws87

720p = less than 1m pixels
1080p = just over 2m pixels
4k = a bit over 8m pixels.

It is far easier to see the difference between 720p and 1080p that 1080p and 4k
If your eyes don't work.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just measured it with the disto :lol:

It's between 1.8 and 2.5m depending on where you're sat.

Balljy

Same. And I used to always trot out the same line before I saw for myself. Although I think part of the difference might be psychological? Like you don’t stay consistently 3m away and every time you get up and walk around it makes the difference much more noticeable.

Plus whenever United score I’m likely to get up for a closer look at the replays. A depressingly rare occurrence last season. The more likely a match involving us is broadcast in UHD, the less likely we are to score!
Possibly some of it, but not all. My Mum and Dad share my Netflix in their house as they'd never buy it for themselves (but then use mine for 3 hours a day...) and my Dad always says how the Netflix picture looks better and sharper than the anything else. He's got no idea that it's in 4k, and not a great 4k at that but does notice the difference.

JB7

I tend to consume content in the best resolution possible so watch Sky in UHD, Netflix, Prime etc the same and it still bugs me that BBC/ITV don't have dedicated UHD channels given they have the major international tournaments, as well as Wimbledon, Olympics etc.

Why should we have to watch iPlayer which last time I tested it was 75 seconds behind regular TV to get the best picture?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fun fact I heard about football in HD (might be bollocks) - before HD television, the cameras were focused on the advertising boards rather than the action on the field and that’s half the reason the picture was shit.

With the advent of HD, not only is the picture much much better but they also can focus on the action and the focus on the advertising boards is still clear enough to satisfy the sponsors.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Does anyone watch anything in 4k regularly?

There seems to be few TV broadcasts in the UK in 4k unless you pay extra on top of an expensive sports package with sky.

Despite being around for a while now. 1080p is still the standard.
A lot of top YouTube channels have 4k HDR. Every new show is almost always Dolby Vision 4K. This is really the best time to get a great TV for about 1000 pounds.

Anything under that - don’t bother.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I saw an 8k tv in Dubai and it pissed me the fcuk off since so much stuff isn’t even shown in 4k yet. We need to commit to 4k for 20 years. It’s good enough ffs

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I got BT to send me their BT TV Pro Box which comes with Dolby Atmos and 4K Ultra HD and HDR 10. They upgraded me for free which was nice of them. Now it's hooked up to a 75" 4K UHD HDR TV. Picture and sound is amazing. I couldn't go back to anything smaller/less now ffs.

Just started watching Predator 2 on Disney+ which are streaming it in 4K Ultra HD/HDR10. It's like watching a brand new movie instead of the grainy VHS looking quality we used to get. It's freaking awesome.

I'm hoping more of the 80s and 90s classics will get the uplift too. I now only watch the HD equivalents of any channels available. They need to start putting more on their BT Ultimate channel though.

arthurka

After getting the new A90J from Sony it's safe to say I am fully sold on OLED and 4K HDR or Dolby Vision. It's just magical.