When will Arsenal hire a new manager?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So feck-all then.

Just as I suspected.
You want to tell me arsenal wouldn't have done better if they signed vidal, dybala and griezmann? Just 3 names off the top of my head that arsenal could have signed.

Point is, if you can't compete financially with other big clubs, you need your scouting network to do a stellar job of uncovering WC or potential WC players who are flying under the radar, and/or you need a manager capable of pushing his players to the best of their capabilities. Obviously, neither is happening at arsenal. Doesn't mean they're not doing a good job, but they could do better

And frankly, you just finished 10 points behind leicester fecking city. Not with a very young and inexperienced side and a young manager. Not because the players turned against the manager and gave up on the season. You underachieved. Massively so. How can arsenal fans possibly accept that is beyond me

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
You want to tell me arsenal wouldn't have done better if they signed vidal, dybala and griezmann? Just 3 names off the top of my head that arsenal could have signed.

Point is, if you can't compete financially with other big clubs, you need your scouting network to do a stellar job of uncovering WC or potential WC players who are flying under the radar, and/or you need a manager capable of pushing his players to the best of their capabilities. Obviously, neither is happening at arsenal. Doesn't mean they're not doing a good job, but they could do better

And frankly, you just finished 10 points behind leicester fecking city. Not with a very young and inexperienced side and a young manager. Not because the players turned against the manager and gave up on the season. You underachieved. Massively so. How can arsenal fans possibly accept that is beyond me

The point is you know feck-all about the Arsenal scouting system. Why bring up those three names? You seem to think that wenger just snaps his fingers and players get signed. You and most other modern fans who don't have a fecking scooby.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Think how much extra money Kroenke would have to spend to beat City and Chelsea to the best players. We'd have to pay premium wages and then up the salaries of every other player at the club too. Add in the huge transfer fees and you're up to a lot of money each season to have a shot (no guarantee) of a league title.

As it stands we are getting top four, do well in domestic cups and fairly well in ECL. Arsenal turnover is very high and it's an excellent profit-making enterprise for Kroenke. He's probably looked at the numbers and decided that the risk of all that extra spend for not very much more revenue if the title is won, is just not worth it.

Fans don't care about the money side and just want wins, and Wenger can't exactly make him put his hands in his pockets more. So we are where we are. But you can all put it down to mentality and whatnot as that's funnier. Unless we get some rich sugar daddy then things aren't going to change.

Wenger leaving would be an absolute disaster for Arsenal. I don't see any replacement doing any better than he has with the current resources and I don't see any new manager getting much more money to spend than Wenger gets now.
I agree with you on many points but it's also about weak mentality of both manager and players because there was absolutely no competition last year and Arsenal performed their usual bottle job in emphatic fashion getting even leas points than the previous two years.

You can say Arsenal can't do anything when the big spenders steamroll the league but when all the big boys are in complete disarray and Leicester City does it there really is no excuse. It was Arsenal's best chance for a decade to have a shot at the league and they were too weak to grab it. They didn't even challenge for it for gods sake!

And it's no longer funny as you say, it's actually sad.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Ideally this should be his last season and the board should already be trying to appoint an appropriate successor. So I definitely think he should go as soon of possible for Arsenal's sake but I don't know who would be the best fit for their club, maybe Tuchel? But aside from that it's very depressive that some of their fanbase has become conformist with the state of the club is, getting top 4, never challenging for the league and getting out of UCL as soon as the knock out stages begin. It has become so predictable it isn't funny anymore and I don't those elements constitute a thrilling season for a club of their caliber.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
This thread again?

What a lot of football fans don't seem to understand is that Wenger have been competing with clubs who have been spending a lot more money than Arsenal has. Which puts him into a situation where he really needed to do more than just overachieving to win the title and no he didn't do that. But just switching manager would hardly have guaranteed any success during these years either. It's not like we would be winning the title the 5+ years we had a negative netspend whit someone like Mourinho in charge. I'd even say with the financial restrictions someone like him wouldn't been interested in the job in the first place.

So anyway personally I'm happy with what he's done for the club during some tough years for us. That some opposite supporters who can't really think for themselves and only look at the amount of titles we've been winning think differently will hardly change that for me.

But yeah his time is probably up soon now.

NoPace

100% this is Arsene's last year at Arsenal.

The 'insiders' seem to suggest Eddie Howe will replace him. Eddie's a great guy, with a very promising career ahead of him. But then again, so was Bruce Rioch.
I love watching Bournemouth play, but basically Howe has just gotten an English side to play decent football like a Europa League level La Liga side in attack and a relegation side defensively. So while I wish the league had 5 more managers like him, i'm not sure he would immediately improve Arsenal. I think you'd see weeks where Arsenal was great and weeks where they were really poor, which isn't good enough to challenge for the league. Not sure Sanchez and Ozil both would stick around. I think Ozil is replaceable because he's a 10 and they often are, but Sanchez is desperately needed.

Also, Howe's transfer record is questionable at best and parochial as hell.I could see hiring hHm and a DOF to run transfers, but I think the better step for him and an employer might be to a club like Everton once Koeman leaves.

Xhaka would do well under him, likely, since he's basically a superior Surman who can't stop getting cards. Wilshere has done well when I've seen them but everyone seems to agree that Arter has outplayed him so I'm not sure that's anything to get too pumped about. CBs should suit him as they are mobile and Bellerin will do well in any attacking setup.

I'd just spend the money on Simeone or Sampaoli if that's an option.

People who think Wenger going is a great or terrible idea don't really convince me. They could finish 8th with a different manager next year or win the league. Wenger guarantees you're doing neither.

NoPace

Bollocks. Wenger doesn't get extra 20% out of average players. Most of arsenal players have been playing up to their standards under him, some even below-par. Their team isn't average at all. It's also not an old squad full of past-it stars who need to be replaced ASAP. Any good manager could come in, sign a good LB, cover for CB, and either a star CM or CF and the team's good to enough to compete for the CL, nevermind the league. Arsenal have the money to go out and sign a player of Griezmann's caliber. Arsene isn't keeping that team competitive beyond their means, he's holding them back

It's a different situation then Fergie
Sanchez-------Giroud-------Perez/Walcott
-----------------Ozil-------------------------
------Elneny/Coquelin-Xhaka---------------
Monreal--Koscielny-Mustafi-----Bellerin
------------------Cech------------------------

That's just not that great a first XI. The bolded players are very, very good (though Xhaka has his issue obviously) and Mustafi, Monreal and Giroud are fine, but I think they are where they should be.

I agree with you on the positions, but I think Arsenal need both a CM and an attacker. I still don't think Ozil-Ramsey/Wilshere-Xhaka will work as a midfield 3 unless they bring in a manager who can really get the British of those midfielders to another level defensively (like Simeone would), find a way for Ozil to impact games defensively even a bit and find a way to calm Xhaka down.

So, if you don't get a great manager you're looking at needing (1) a CM who can knit the midfield together, (2) another top level attacker, either a 9 or an RW (I think you could get by with one of Giroud, Perez or Walcott starting in a quarter with Ozil, Sanchez and another great attacker, or just play the latter 3 in tougher games even if it puts Ozil out of position, as you get to bolster the midfield, if one of Ramsey or Wilshere can play to their potential and stay healthy), (3) Left back, as Monreal be 31 in 3 weeks and for a pretty good but never great FB that's quite old.

It is bizarre that Wenger loves Ligue 1 so much and managed to miss out on Kante and Ousmane Dembele, who would have fixed much of their problems long term. Even now, watching Monaco's excellent midfield play and you could see how Babayoko or Lemar would step into their lineup immediately and help, giving them size and competence as a CM and a dangerous winger who could also provide crosses for Giroud. I can understand why Wenger didn't want to spend 50M on Lacazette, but Dembele for 1/3rd of that was a huge miss.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Theres a poster on here who reckons old Arsene really doesnt want to win the league and basically is happy with top 4.
Yeah, no. While Wenger IS happy with top 4, my point was that top 4 is their priority. Not that he doesn't care or try to win the title

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Even if it's the board that's holding back the team by not wanting to spend it seems Wenger is also in a comfort zone with this situation. Ideally a manager with bigger ambitions would just not cope with that and would confront the board or just move to another club and let another manager achieve them 4th place and be the laughing stock of both Arsenal and opposition fans.

Giggs86

Until they miss out on top 4. Until then he will never leave.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Can't believe the number of people giving Wenger and Arsenal slack/excuses :lol::houllier:

Any decent manager would be challenging for the title with the team, chemistry, staff, and facilities that Arsenal have.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Can't believe the number of people giving Wenger and Arsenal slack/excuses :lol::houllier:

Any decent manager would be challenging for the title with the team, chemistry, staff, and facilities that Arsenal have.
So finishing 2nd isn't challenging?

Fairy 'nuff.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
So finishing 2nd isn't challenging?

Fairy 'nuff.
10 points off Leicester City? You only finished second because Spurs bottled the last game. You can flatter yourself with that position last season sure but the bells ring for delusions of grandeur...

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
So what's the caf definition of 'challenging for the league'. I'm assuming it'll be as daft and arbitrary as the one for 'world class'.

Peanut Butter

So what's the caf definition of 'challenging for the league'. I'm assuming it'll be as daft and arbitrary as the one for 'world class'.
For me it's the league title going to the wire. Like when City won it with that Aguero goal (still hurts!) - we were seconds from being League champions.

When was the last time Arsenal run a rival really close but just missed out?

You were not challenging last season.

Sylar

Arsenal werent challenging for the title, Spurs were.
Challenging for the title is basically putting pressure on the team above you, so that they must get something out of the next game. Spurs only got 2 points from the last 4 games iirc, but until game 34 they were in it. Arsenal werent

I dont remember the last time Arsenal truly challenged the team that won the title with about 4 or less games to go.

From a financial perspective, the fairly limited spending to get top4 and last 16 at a minimum is ideal. Why would their directors or whoever want to invest more unless it guarantees something?
How much does an extra position in the league get you? How much does one further round in the CL get you?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This thread has been created every season since 2005. Again, I'll ask. What manager can come in and do a significantly better job than Arsene, with the same resources Arsene has? I don't see the few who can (Simeone) volunteering to be hamstrung in the transfer market against rivals with deeper pockets.

Remember when Steve Kean was recommended as a replacement for Wenger? Good times.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
This thread has been created every season since 2005. Again, I'll ask. What manager can come in and do a significantly better job than Arsene, with the same resources Arsene has? I don't see the few who can (Simeone) volunteering to be hamstrung in the transfer market against rivals with deeper pockets.

Remember when Steve Kean was recommended as a replacement for Wenger? Good times.
I can see Arsenal steadily declining, with 6th/7th place finishes before getting back. Could be a serious turning point for the club too if they want to remain a top team.

Peanut Butter

I really hope they give it to Bould. It will be their Moyes moment :lol:

AlwaysRed66

If I was Arsenal I would be very careful what they do. You have only to use us as an example of what happens when a long serving manager leaves the club. Arsenal fans may not have been very successful for a time, but have certainly done better than us since Ferguson retired.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Simeone and maybe Sarri.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This thread has been created every season since 2005. Again, I'll ask. What manager can come in and do a significantly better job than Arsene, with the same resources Arsene has?
I'll start with the managers who achieved concrete trophies in the last few years with less (or much less) resources than Wenger:

Simeone, Emery, Klopp, Ranieri

Then we have modern managers who understand both counter-pressing and how to play against counter-pressing (essential for any modern manager IMO and Wenger's biggest tactical weakness):

Pochettino, Tuchel, Sampaoli, Pizzi, Hasenhuttl and also Rangnick from RBL (I would instantly hire either Rangnick or Monchi immediately as sporting director of Arsenal if that was an option).

Then you have some more senior managers who I personally believe would do better than Wenger like Allegri who has already thrown his name in the hat.

All of those I believe will do better with Arsenal next year forward than Wenger would. Wenger's two biggest weaknesses aren't going away: mismanaging injuries and playing favorites with his beloved players which has all sorts of negative consequences like overpaying squad players, benching players in form, etc. And tactically Wenger has shown he cannot train his team to counter-press effectively and we can only play against counter pressing well when certain players are on top form.

If I was Arsenal I would be very careful what they do. You have only to use us as an example of what happens when a long serving manager leaves the club. Arsenal fans may not have been very successful for a time, but have certainly done better than us since Ferguson retired.
No offense to you personally, but I am honestly sick of hearing this cliche.

I think its a horrible argument tbh. Completely different situations for one thing. You won the league last year of Ferguson. Wenger doesn't look capable of ever winning the league again or even getting past R16 in the CL. Your club was not stuck in a 7 year long Groundhog Day rut. We are.

What is the worst that can happen if Wenger leaves? Arsenal drops out of top 4 under some manager like Eddie Howe? Big deal. I would not be sad one little bit. As I said before finishing 3-4 for 10 years with no title challenge is mind numbingly boring. I think you would be surprised how many gooners actually would be completely happy with dropping out of top 4 since that appears to be the only thing that can actually force our board full of penny counters to actually start paying attention. Just like your board was slightly complacent in hiring Moyes and then they got that kick in the rear to get their act together. Our board absolutely needs that kick in the rear.

Last edited:

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
I think Arsenal are in a very difficult position.
A) Wenger has taken them as far as he can
B) Because he has been there for so long, any managerial change will surely rock the boat and we may see a demise before things get better, much like you lot post Fergie.

But it may be something they have to do in order to see progess.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, it can be a very vague concept at times but it certainly isn't what Arsenal did last season and the ones before that in I don't know how many years. I'd say it would being in the mix in the latter stages of the season like being more or less within 3 points from the 1st place.

So you're saying what we have seen is the best Arsenal can aspire to regardless of manager? If you're happy with the current status that's fine but if that's the standard then Wenger is going to be in charge as long as he wants and we won't ever know how a different manager would thrive with a team like Arsenal.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Absolutely sick of Wenger. We are not winning anything under him again, the guy has lost his touch. This culture of mediocrity and celebrating the top 4 trophy has become norm under him. Every season is so predictable its fecking awful as a fan. Every season has the same godawful pattern: bash the dreadful sides, get a semi-decent result against one top side and then when it seems we are in for a title shot we'd crash against a sh1t side at home and then lose it all in weeks after dreadful results in a row against top sides (City, Everton and now Chelsea probably). This pattern has repeated itself every year. :houllier: This collapse, now seen under different teams assembled over the years, reflects badly on Wenger. Our teams whether they have had Adebayor, Nasri, RVP, Sanchez, Ozil all collapse in the same dismal fashion every year which means its down to the manager, not the players. He used to even have an eye for talent ala RVP, Adebayor, Cesc, Nasri etc which he's now lost.

You cannot say a team with a spine of Alexis, Ozil, Cazrola, Cech and Koscienly should not atleast challenge for the title. Even the football we play is utter shitte, rarely in our games do we create a lot of chances. Its the same side-ways dross.

Sick of him now, I hope he leaves at the end of the season.

Needham

He's alright for now but he'll really start to feel the heat when he turns 80.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Absolutely sick of Wenger. We are not winning anything under him again, the guy has lost his touch. This culture of mediocrity and celebrating the top 4 trophy has become norm under him. Every season is so predictable its fecking awful as a fan. Every season has the same godawful pattern: bash the dreadful sides, get a semi-decent result against one top side and then when it seems we are in for a title shot we'd crash against a sh1t side at home and then lose it all in weeks after dreadful results in a row against top sides (City, Everton and now Chelsea probably). This pattern has repeated itself every year. :houllier: This collapse, now seen under different teams assembled over the years, reflects badly on Wenger. Our teams whether they have had Adebayor, Nasri, RVP, Sanchez, Ozil all collapse in the same dismal fashion every year which means its down to the manager, not the players. He used to even have an eye for talent ala RVP, Adebayor, Cesc, Nasri etc which he's now lost.

You cannot say a team with a spine of Alexis, Ozil, Cazrola, Cech and Koscienly should not atleast challenge for the title. Even the football we play is utter shitte, rarely in our games do we create a lot of chances. Its the same side-ways dross.

Sick of him now, I hope he leaves at the end of the season.
And what I said is happening today. Typical performance when we can close down the gap we bottle it. Its the same old nonsense, been more than a decade since we have been saying we need a DM, a proper battler. They had Kante we have Coq, who's utterly rubbish. Getting outplayed physically, showing no bottle...same old dross. Chelsea fans chanting ''we want him to sya, Arsene Wenger we want him to stay''. He's destroying his legacy.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This game is panning out in such a predictable manner. Chelsea could finish with three or four.

Peanut Butter

And what I said is happening today. Typical performance when we can close down the gap we bottle it. Its the same old nonsense, been more than a decade since we have been saying we need a DM, a proper battler. They had Kante we have Coq, who's utterly rubbish. Getting outplayed physically, showing no bottle...same old dross. Chelsea fans chanting ''we want him to sya, Arsene Wenger we want him to stay''. He's destroying his legacy.
Yep. That bullshit excuse of Arsenal having no money for players doesn't sit right with me. Wenger simply can't motivate players and is tactically clueless.

Tippy tappy nice Arsenal who play the same way every game. No plan b. No belief in themselves. No shape when defending.

This is poor management - nothing to do with a lack of cash.

Sweet Square

The same criticisms that they got when we destroyed them in the CL semi in 09 is still valid today. They haven't change in almost 10 years. Incredible.

AndyJ1985

You can predict how Arsenal's season will go before a ball has been kicked. The only question mark is whether they will get knocked out of the CL in the second round or the quarter final.

zing

Zingle balls
Destroyed. Past tense.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
The same criticisms that they got when we destroyed them in the CL semi in 09 is still valid today. They haven't change in almost 10 years. Incredible.
Its pathetic, hence why its down to the manager not anyone else.

I'd rather we come 5th, if that is what it will take us to get rid of him.