When will match going fans crack?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It’s fair to say our match going fans are incredibly loyal and even the slightest of groaning and booing are quickly frowned upon. We’ve served up some utter dross post SAF and it’s not getting better any time soon. What will it take for the fans to start becoming vocal at their displeasure at the state of the club? I’m not talking a few boos here and there, I’m talking creating a vitriolic atmosphere.

Manchester United should be held to the standards of Manchester United.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We could get relegated five seasons in a row and they still wouldn't crack.

passing-wind

Theres already match going fans who have vocalised the discontent with management at away games. The differentiation is if home fans will crack which the answer is already no. A large majority still showed appreciation for Mourinho in his last season.

ZupZup

As a match going fan... I don’t personally think I’d crack, no.

Each to their own though I guess.

Irwin99

I expect there might be a few grumbles/ironic cheers at some of the senior players before long. Matic and Young might bear the brunt of it (unfairly perhaps???) as they seem to be the senior players that get singled out on these fan videos and on forums. The fans will rightly never turn on Ole but you might get a bit of Glazer discontent if things get worse.

red thru&thru

As a match going fan... I don’t personally think I’d crack, no.

Each to their own though I guess.
Yea, I get this with lot of match going fans, or, supporters I like to call them.

The supporters don't need to stop going. They need to support the lads on the pitch and the management but voice their frustrations towards the board.

Alabaster Codify7

Never. The board will never face testing times because we could be around 18th in the league in January and the fans would still be singing "Ole's at the wheel" simply because they're brainwashed into thinking that's what should be done at all times because Ole used to play for us. The matchgoing fans will still be chanting that inane bullshit on the final day of the season when the players are 'crying' and applauding them having gotten us relegated. They'll have already renewed their season tickets a few months earlier after Woodward released leaks stating we had "£300m to spend in the summer and a DOF coming". So why not make the most it, eh?

clarkydaz

Never. The board will never face testing times because we could be around 18th in the league in January and the fans would still be singing "Ole's at the wheel" simply because they're brainwashed into thinking that's what should be done at all times because Ole used to play for us. The matchgoing fans will still be chanting that inane bullshit on the final day of the season when the players are 'crying' and applauding them having gotten us relegated. They'll have already renewed their season tickets a few months earlier after Woodward released leaks stating we had "£300m to spend in the summer and a DOF coming". So why not make the most it, eh?
right then, get down next Monday and lead the charge

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They pay their money and make the effort etc, but there’s definitely a massive top red mentality amongst the match going fans as a result of years and years of believing we do things differently. Presumably because of Fergie, as we never had the need to turn on a manager. Now we’re just like any other club we seem to be having an identity crisis on and off the field.

Lee565

I doubt the match going fans will turn on Solskjear but they didnt turn on lvg or Mourinho either but that didnt stop them getting sacked with more evidence behind them that they can actually do something with the team, there is no way Woodward will allow Solskjear to stay on if we around mid-table and when I say mid-table I mean around 10th place, Woodward has to remember the glazers will only be happy with him all the time huge record profits keep coming in but if the club drifts into a mid-table that dont look nothing like a team capable of getting back even in the champions league for the next few years those profits will dwindle massively and the next generation of international fans not even thinking of supporting United over the likes of city and liverpool and Woodward will then be for the chopping block.

Nickelodeon

I wanted to create a thread for the same but I believe a bump here could suffice.

I watched the Arsenal Vs. Southampton game and saw that almost the entire stadium was voicing their displeasure on the state of the team and it only seems like a matter of time before its all over for Emery. We are sitting here, below Arsenal, with not a shred of protest towards the manager. And this is a club we don't even consider to be close to what we want to compete with.

It is understandable that there is a lot of anger towards Woodward who is the common denominator across our numerous failures, but when are going to accept that our manager also needs to be someone who can make the team greater than the sum of individual players.

I genuinely believe that our fans need to be ruthless and demanding with the club if we have any ambitions of returning to the top. We are in danger of becoming the club which will soon start believing (or already have) that the "top 4 trophy" is good enough for us. If that means a quick churn of managers, then so be it. Acceptance of our fans or "What could Ole do when the players are so shit?" etc. are arguments which just displaces blame with no real actions being taken. But we need to have the mentality of a top club if we want to return to being one. And for that, everyone, including and especially the fans, need to be demanding.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Personally, I don't think the Glazers/Ed will be influenced (much) by crowd noise.

In terms of "cracking", home fans will always have a share of fans who boo/moan (their choice). In terms of our away fans, their support is pretty much all in regardless (phenomenal support, though some of my mates reword that as deluded).

Nickelodeon

Personally, I don't think the Glazers/Ed will be influenced (much) by crowd noise.

In terms of "cracking", home fans will always have a share of fans who boo/moan (their choice). In terms of our away fans, their support is pretty much all in regardless (phenomenal support, though some of my mates reword that as deluded).
I believe once the fans become openly discontent, it becomes a matter of when the manager is going to be let go. Not even Glazers could ignore that. It is the acceptance that "this is the best that could happen" is what pisses me off more than the failure itself.

JB7

Quoted for the purpose of being absolute nonsense - literally nobody has sang Oles at the wheel since May.

Regarding the general nonsense message the post is trying to imply, image attacking match going supporters for actually supporting the team.

Nickelodeon

Quoted for the purpose of being absolute nonsense - literally nobody has sang Oles at the wheel since May.

Regarding the general nonsense message the post is trying to imply, image attacking match going supporters for actually supporting the team.
So what is your opinion?

JoaquinJoaquin

Alot of them clapped Moyes down the tunnel the week before he was sacked, so probably quite a bit away from that yet.

The thing about match going fans, is that it brings out the best and worst in fans. Some, like the away fans are fantastic. But then you get some of the most deluded fans at OT who believe everything they hear on MUTV.

ZupZup

I'd like to know what the mood was in the away end after 60 minutes yesterday.
Just pretty quiet really... frustrated. Fans still trying to get songs going and rally the troops but it's hard work when you are 2 down and playing poorly. Then from the 70th minute until Sheffield United's equaliser it was the most fun I have had at a game this season. Absolute scenes and limbs everywhere when Rashford scored the third... the whole end was absolutely bouncing. Just a shame we didn't hang on as it would have been the perfect away day.

JB7

So what is your opinion?
We are there to support the team and manager, getting on their backs helps nothing during those 90 minutes. Last season against Newcastle at 2-0 down the players were roared off the field for half time, came out second half and turned 0-2 to 3-2, somehow I can't imagine booing them off having the same effect.

We've got massive problems with the way the clubs has been ran over the last 15 years and the time for protests will come but it should never detract from supporting the 11 players on the pitch.

ReddBalls

How come "fans" don't understand that they're just making things worse by calling players out and shitting on the team and the manager? Great support actually contributes to teams successes and vice versa. Did you hear the Sheffield fans yesterday? The atmosphere at the ground carried the home team and intimidated the away team.

How does it affect people on here at work, at school or at anythng they try to achieve when people around them continually tell them that they're useless? Do your performance get better or worse when you get support from the people around them? Is there any way you can contribute to the team or are you just wearing United as a social media identity?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In terms of our away fans, their support is pretty much all in regardless (phenomenal support, though some of my mates reword that as deluded).
He, yes - common enough accusation these days.

The simple truth is that match going fans (the away crowd in particular) don't prioritize airing their misgivings whilst - well - supporting the team. It doesn't mean they're a bunch of utterly blinkered fools who think everything's hunky dory. It's a matter of - in a word - supporter culture more than anything.

To what extent it has any bearing on - well, anything - in this day and age, where the club's social media presence is more important than what goes on at Old Trafford, I dunno. Very little, probably.

SER19

You could argue our last 8 games have been the most enjoyable and overall positive since solskjaers initial run. We've a couple of good fixtures this week to hopefully keep that going. We were very poor for most of yesterday but I still thought we'd get back into it and then scored 3 in 7 minutes all from youth players.

I don't understand the current insistence on negativity. We should be looking to get 2 wins then hopefully beat Jose and spurs and keep kicking on.

JamesCurran

Haven't heard Oles at the wheel this season. It's strange to see someone who doesn't attend Old Trafford criticizing match going fans who spend their hard earned money to support their team whilst some fella who has probably never attended before behind a computer screen giving out. :lol:

SteveW

Some people just support their team because they love it. Doesn't make them deluded. It just makes them proper football people that like to support their team with passion and enjoyment. That's infinitely better than those miserable sods on here who seems to want to project their misery all over everything they see.

SteveW

You could argue our last 8 games have been the most enjoyable and overall positive since solskjaers initial run. We've a couple of good fixtures this week to hopefully keep that going. We were very poor for most of yesterday but I still thought we'd get back into it and then scored 3 in 7 minutes all from youth players.

I don't understand the current insistence on negativity. We should be looking to get 2 wins then hopefully beat Jose and spurs and keep kicking on.
6 wins out of 8. Heaps of goals scored in the last few games. I've enjoyed the recent period. Yesterdays comeback was thrilling.

If Pogba and Mctominay were fit right now we'd be flying in my opinion. It's just getting a bit undermined by the really low standard of their replacements.

DoomSlayer

It's great that fans support the team during the full 90 minutes, but then should also be protesting against the directors and owners before or after that, or we will never get better. Just hoping for a change will never work.

Either we accept mid-table status or we go for Woodward's head and all of the people around him.

SER19

6 wins out of 8. Heaps of goals scored in the last few games. I've enjoyed the recent period. Yesterdays comeback was thrilling.

If Pogba and Mctominay were fit right now we'd be flying in my opinion. It's just getting a bit undermined by the really low standard of their replacements.
Perhaps you and I are both wrong, but id rather be optimistic. Even when trying to. Improve a team can suffer the consequences of injuries. Yesterday was a good, albeit frustrating, point

Nickelodeon

I see it a bit differently. There are two aspects to this: supporting the club and supporting the team on matchday. In almost all circumstances, the two go hand-in-hand. But sometimes when things are going significantly against what the club has stood for, to get it back where it should, changes need to be made and to trigger those changes, booing or displeasure from the fans needs to be heard.

I would never say that what Arsenal fans did the other day was in any way wrong. Because fans invest a lot of time and money into their club and deserve to have their opinion heard. And what hurts in the short term might work out for a better long term future for the club.

We are there to support the team and manager, getting on their backs helps nothing during those 90 minutes. Last season against Newcastle at 2-0 down the players were roared off the field for half time, came out second half and turned 0-2 to 3-2, somehow I can't imagine booing them off having the same effect.

We've got massive problems with the way the clubs has been ran over the last 15 years and the time for protests will come but it should never detract from supporting the 11 players on the pitch.
Weren't they booed at that time or do I recall it incorrectly?

JB7

I see it a bit differently. There are two aspects to this: supporting the club and supporting the team on matchday. In almost all circumstances, the two go hand-in-hand. But sometimes when things are going significantly against what the club has stood for, to get it back where it should, changes need to be made and to trigger those changes, booing or displeasure from the fans needs to be heard.

I would never say that what Arsenal fans did the other day was in any way wrong. Because fans invest a lot of time and money into their club and deserve to have their opinion heard. And what hurts in the short term might work out for a better long term future for the club.

I certainly didn't hear any booing where I was that day, they were cheered off the pitch as if we were 5-0 up.

Personally I've never booed my team. I obviously follow United all over but when I get Saturdays free I watch my local non league team wherever they are up or down the country and I think watching them gives me perspective over watching United and as such I don't ever boo either team. Don't get me wrong I shout the odd thing from time to time but whether I'm in a crowd of 75k at Old Trafford or 400 odd at Guiseley away as I was on Saturday I try to be as supportive as possible whatever happens.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Yeah, I was there and don't remember us being roared off at all. Everyone was pissed off.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Woodward will always sack someone before the OT faithful would dare to turn against. Ole is a club legend as well, makes it difficult for some fans to turn against him for sentimental reasons.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He, yes - common enough accusation these days.

The simple truth is that match going fans (the away crowd in particular) don't prioritize airing their misgivings whilst - well - supporting the team. It doesn't mean they're a bunch of utterly blinkered fools who think everything's hunky dory. It's a matter of - in a word - supporter culture more than anything.

To what extent it has any bearing on - well, anything - in this day and age, where the club's social media presence is more important than what goes on at Old Trafford, I dunno. Very little, probably.
Exactly - it's true that the matchgoing fans in general are more patient but the reasons why are often misrepresented.

This is the official stance of MUST:
https://www.imust.org.uk/Blog/Entry/glazersout-protests

Also there were huge protests in 2005 and again with Green&Gold so it's been done.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I wanted to create a thread for the same but I believe a bump here could suffice.

I watched the Arsenal Vs. Southampton game and saw that almost the entire stadium was voicing their displeasure on the state of the team and it only seems like a matter of time before its all over for Emery. We are sitting here, below Arsenal, with not a shred of protest towards the manager. And this is a club we don't even consider to be close to what we want to compete with.

It is understandable that there is a lot of anger towards Woodward who is the common denominator across our numerous failures, but when are going to accept that our manager also needs to be someone who can make the team greater than the sum of individual players.

I genuinely believe that our fans need to be ruthless and demanding with the club if we have any ambitions of returning to the top. We are in danger of becoming the club which will soon start believing (or already have) that the "top 4 trophy" is good enough for us. If that means a quick churn of managers, then so be it. Acceptance of our fans or "What could Ole do when the players are so shit?" etc. are arguments which just displaces blame with no real actions being taken. But we need to have the mentality of a top club if we want to return to being one. And for that, everyone, including and especially the fans, need to be demanding.
One team wins the league every year. One. We're a bit of a state at the moment but we've won 6 of the last 8, scored a pile of goals, our starting 11 is littered with academy graduates. We came back from 2-0 down away from home yesterday with 3 of those boys scoring. When we're grinding it out, we need more entertainment. When we're knocking in 3 in 7 minutes away from home, we're an abomination for being a couple down in the first place. We all want to be winning shit again but you have to smell the roses along the way. You can't constantly be angry. If you weren't out of your seat for Rashfords goal, you're not doing it right.

United fans enjoyed stuff before Fergie and it's ok to enjoy stuff now without constantly looking at the bigger picture.

RUCK4444

One team wins the league every year. One. We're a bit of a state at the moment but we've won 6 of the last 8, scored a pile of goals, our starting 11 is littered with academy graduates. We came back from 2-0 down away from home yesterday with 3 of those boys scoring. When we're grinding it out, we need more entertainment. When we're knocking in 3 in 7 minutes away from home, we're an abomination for being a couple down in the first place. We all want to be winning shit again but you have to smell the roses along the way. You can't constantly be angry. If you weren't out of your seat for Rashfords goal, you're not doing it right.

United fans enjoyed stuff before Fergie and it's ok to enjoy stuff now without constantly looking at the bigger picture.
Couldn't agree more. People are so tunnel visioned on the manager.

People here need to google the actual meaning of the word ‘Support’ and then they might realise why the match going fans don’t throw their toys out of the pram and choose to get behind the man in the dugout and the players on the pitch.

He'sRaldo

How come "fans" don't understand that they're just making things worse by calling players out and shitting on the team and the manager? Great support actually contributes to teams successes and vice versa. Did you hear the Sheffield fans yesterday? The atmosphere at the ground carried the home team and intimidated the away team.

How does it affect people on here at work, at school or at anythng they try to achieve when people around them continually tell them that they're useless? Do your performance get better or worse when you get support from the people around them? Is there any way you can contribute to the team or are you just wearing United as a social media identity?
Very nice introspective questions.

Of course well-meaning criticism is fair game, but not at the expense of actually supporting the team.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Some people just support their team because they love it. Doesn't make them deluded. It just makes them proper football people that like to support their team with passion and enjoyment. That's infinitely better than those miserable sods on here who seems to want to project their misery all over everything they see.
Agree (personally I don't moan at matches at all and I think the away fans are the best fans in the league).

And the bold bit.... that's pretty much every thread now and sick of pedantic posters picking people's comments to bits. Depressing... makes the Caf a hard place to come to now. I limit time here now and totally leave some threads as the arguments are mind boggling. I swear some fans would be sad if we went on a winning run as it would ruin their agenda.