Votes: 3,004 87.8%
  • No - Give him more time

Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lappen

He had one year left on his contract. Lots of managers are on rolling one year contracts. It's not like it is with players who can leave on Bosman's. Besides, there was ZERO risk of him being poached by anyone. It's just another layer of the multifaceted stupidity that is rife in this company, I mean, football club.
Hehe... like your last sentence!

I still think clubs should do better than letting managers go in a new season with the last year of the contract. In this case the extension could have been shorter maybe...
Its about signals to. If the club think its good to have people in and around the club see the long term thinking.
BUT of course you are right if Ole keeps on doing the things he does right now... then the extension only show how clueless the club are, and we all look stupid.
I dont see a turn around coming up, but never say never!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My expectation remains the same, challenging the league. He has to go if he can’t win the 6 matches in a row. Our squad is good enough to challenge the league and not winning our next 6 matches means we are pretty much out of title contender and also endangering our chance to go next round in UCL; thus, manager takes the blame and should be sacked due to unable to deliver. We would still be in title race with a draw vs one of Liverpool or man city if we beat Leicester but since we lost to Leicester, winning the next 6 matches should be the minimum benchmark.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He has to go if he can’t win the 6 matches in a row. Our squad is good enough to challenge the league and not winning our next 6 matches means we are pretty much out of title contender and also endangering our chance to go next round in UCL; thus, manager takes the blame and should be sacked due to unable to deliver. We would still be in title race with a draw vs one of Liverpool or man city if we beat Leicester but since we lost to Leicester, winning the next 6 matches should be the minimum benchmark.
Win the next 6 matches in a row including Liverpool and City? A bit steep isn't it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Win the next 6 matches in a row including Liverpool and City? A bit steep isn't it.
It’s a message. If the team can’t win vs mid table teams also can’t win vs top table teams then why should the manager stay?

VivaRonaldo85

The biggest joke if that happens is we would ve 7 points behind Liverpool with the season over for us. 7 points is too much to claw back with city chelsea and liverpool blasting the league right now. It shows how pathetic the board are, the footballing director and everyone sitting in a chair at this club. My brother is a liverpool fan and 7 years ago said United will not win a league for 20 years plus, especially with these owners. Obviously i denied it, but its a reality. All we need is to be getting top 4, owners have there cash. The problem now is Newcastle in 5 years will overtake us, we dont have the desire from a board level to operate as a football club, its just about money. Ole should of gone a lomg time ago, whoever decided to give him a contract in the summer, should be sacked. The man is a joke as a manager, 3 yrs in, one of the best squads in the world and we cannot even strimg two passes together. Ill say it once, 1 point in 9 against villa, Everton and Leicester. Last year he hoped for a last min draw or win, its not working now, his patterns of play have no value, teams now know how to scare us. Leicester did it, put two at top to terror Lindeloff and Maguire and 5 at back to prevent any meaningful into the box. They know our midfield is pathetic, it takes one pass to cut them open.
Our trajectory is alarmingly like Liverpool’s history and it took them 30 years to win the league back. That said, we have built a much better squad than any of those failing Liverpool sides of the 90’s and 00’s. We need to strive to be best in class in the boardroom and on the managerial bench of which we’re no way near either at the moment.

Greck

I don't think he's getting sacked.

We're in Arsenal under Wenger circa 2008-16 mode - not consistently terrible enough to force our largely indifferent owners/Board into making the necessary change, but not consistently good enough to achieve anything significant either. Meanwhile, a large section of the supporters are spitting blood and want the manager gone, while others rally around to defend him, splitting the fanbase down the middle.

Ole could continue for years and years this way, as long as he brings in the 4th place trophy with some regularity.
One of the striking features of those mediocre teams was how they always used to surge in the 2nd half of the season when all is lost and the pressure of expectation is zero thus restarting the 'next year for sure' bust cycle. To those who will always get swept by that euphoria just remember how we always revert to mediocrity when there's any kind of expectation.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles

We're in Arsenal under Wenger circa 2008-16 mode - not consistently terrible enough to force our largely indifferent owners/Board into making the necessary change, but not consistently good enough to achieve anything significant either. Meanwhile, a large section of the supporters are spitting blood and want the manager gone, while others rally around to defend him, splitting the fanbase down the middle.

Ole could continue for years and years this way, as long as he brings in the 4th place trophy with some regularity.
Thats mainly concerning because they got worse as soon as they sacked him and haven't been as good since.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
A club stating or briefing that a manager's position is safe means that the manager's position is in actual peril but they've not yet decided to sack him.

I'm afraid things might be getting serious for Solskjaer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Our form so far this season won’t get us in the top four. That’s the obvious worry for the owners here. We’re on target for 66 points and have only played one of our top four rivals so far (heavy defeat)

James35

I think he will resign shortly after we get trounced by Liverpool and the fans start leaving in their droves before full time.

Well that is what happened in my dream last night.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If we get comprehensively turned over and embarrassed at OT vs Liverpool on Sunday, that could be the switch flicked by the board.
There's genuinely nothing like a painful loss to the Scousers to turn the tide. Moyes and Mourinho both effectively ended their United careers after one.

OrcaFat

With the dust settled a bit, I still think he’s on very shaky ground but think the board will not be hasty. It all depends how bad it gets and how long the dip lasts.

Part of me is so tired of everyone calling for his head that I wouldn’t mind him going sooner rather than later.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The only way to maximize the cash flow is for the team to win. Otherwise it is a slow death until they eventually sale when the cash cow isn't profitable.
Unfortunately that's not true. They just need to be in the top four mix. The amount of money and expensive reorganisation required to challenge for the EPL or the Champions League is uneconomic within the club's existing financial structure. It is also unnecessary because demand for the product is inelastic. We keep watching and paying no matter what. Many fans even make a virtue of it.

Sviken

Unfortunately that's not true. They just need to be in the top four mix. The amount of money and expensive reorganisation required to challenge for the EPL or the Champions League is uneconomic within the club's existing financial structure. It is also unnecessary because demand for the product is inelastic. We keep watching and paying no matter what. Many fans even make a virtue of it.
Arsenal were content with top 4 finish until they no longer finished top 4. Before that Liverpool was the same. The reality is that if you do not compete to win, you'll be left behind. United are not playing in the Bundesliga or La Liga where we can rest on our laurels, safe from the fact that we can outmuscle 99% of the other teams in that league. We have 5 teams (now 6) in this league who can spend very close to us. The league is also full of midtable teams that can spent a ridiculous amount of money on transfers. The CL places are only 4. This leaves us in a very awkward position. It's a very thin line this club is walking on and unfortunately I do not think many of our fans actually realize it. We've already wasted 8 years winning close to nothing and unfortunately there is no real end in sight for our troubles.

OmarUnited4ever

With the dust settled a bit, I still think he’s on very shaky ground but think the board will not be hasty. It all depends how bad it gets and how long the dip lasts.

Part of me is so tired of everyone calling for his head that I wouldn’t mind him going sooner rather than later.
it's a results game, if the results improve he will most likely survive, even if the performances remain as bad as they are now.

The bad news for Ole are no team can get good results consistently without a consistent good performances that goes with it, gone are the days where you could win by just turning up and hoping for a moment of individual brilliance

Skills

Snitch
This is correct. The monumental amount of money we've wasted under Ole for nothing, should mean the Glazers need to change tactic now. They need to put the shareholders first because the clubs achieving feck all anyway.

The board/glazers have done what the fans have wanted (backed the manager) only for it to massively blow up in their own faces. The fanbase will never be happy anyway. It's time now to tighten the purses, and give the shareholders a return on their investment. Stop the stupid spending, because everyone with an ounce of sense knows we've gambled our immediate future away on OGS - and we just need to live with the consequences of it.

The White Pele

Big clubs like ourselves shouldn’t swing the axe when it becomes clear their current manager is not the right one, they should swing the axe when the right man is available. We have to be ruthless and move for the right person at the right time regardless of the form of the team at that time.

United missed out on Klopp and Guardiola as we wasted time on Moyes and LVG. City and Liverpool weren’t doing that badly when they made their move but they knew those managers would take them forward. We settled for Mourinho and missed the window to get Pochettino. We passed on Pochettino again because Ole started so well. We didn’t move for Tuchel and now he looks like another miss.

Who else is there? Conte may not be a good long term fit. Zidane has his doubters. Ten Hag hasn’t done it at the top level but maybe he could have the impact that Tuchel has. I don’t know the next move but we need to get it right and be prepared to act decisively.

Kaos

Big clubs like ourselves shouldn’t swing the axe when it becomes clear their current manager is not the right one, they should swing the axe when the right man is available. We have to be ruthless and move for the right person at the right time regardless of the form of the team at that time.

United missed out on Klopp and Guardiola as we wasted time on Moyes and LVG. City and Liverpool weren’t doing that badly when they made their move but they knew those managers would take them forward. We settled for Mourinho and missed the window to get Pochettino. We passed on Pochettino again because Ole started so well. We didn’t move for Tuchel and now he looks like another miss.

Who else is there? Conte may not be a good long term fit. Zidane has his doubters. Ten Hag hasn’t done it at the top level but maybe he could have the impact that Tuchel has. I don’t know the next move but we need to get it right and be prepared to act decisively.
We don't have the time to dither and wait for the 'right man'.

Our squad is the best its ever been since SAF's retirement, we have Ronaldo at 36, Varane and Fernandes and their prime or near it, and Pogba potentially looking to leave. What we need is a proficient coach to make use of these players now otherwise our next manager will be encumbered with yet another rebuild job and we're back at square one.

Zidane, Conte and Ten Hag will have their doubters for understandable reasons but I don't think its outlandish to suggest any one of them would be a considerable upgrade on Ole at this moment of time.

And who's to say what the managerial landscape will look like by the end of the season? Zidane and Conte might have found themselves jobs, Ten Hag could end up somewhere like Barca. Then we'll be in a situation where we'll have sacked Ole and have to contend with Potter and Rodgers as our best options.

The White Pele

We don't have the time to dither and wait for the 'right man'.

Our squad is the best its ever been since SAF's retirement, we have Ronaldo at 36, Varane and Fernandes and their prime or near it, and Pogba potentially looking to leave. What we need is a proficient coach to make use of these players now otherwise our next manager will be encumbered with yet another rebuild job and we're back at square one.

Zidane, Conte and Ten Hag will have their doubters for understandable reasons but I don't think its outlandish to suggest any one of them would be a considerable upgrade on Ole at this moment of time.

And who's to say what the managerial landscape will look like by the end of the season? Zidane and Conte might have found themselves jobs, Ten Hag could end up somewhere like Barca. Then we'll be in a situation where we'll have sacked Ole and have to contend with Potter and Rodgers as our best options.
Yes this is exactly my point. We always find ourselves going for who’s available rather than who’s the best fit.

If Zidane, Conte or Ten Hag are deemed to be the right man then we should act now rather than wait. If they’re not then we shouldn’t knee-jerk and end up giving 2+ seasons to the wrong manager and miss out on better options.

A club of our standing should have managerial targets lined up. Unfortunately the best options are now at our rivals so it is not as obvious as it could and should have been had we acted more decisively after Fergie left.

Jacob

End of Nov is my guess. Assuming we only get a couple of points from the coming 5-6 league games.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
He will never be sacked. You'll have to put up with him forever. As Tammy Wynett famously sung:

Stand by your man(ager)
And show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your man(ager).

United Hobbit

I'm seeing more scathing online articles and I think the same in newspapers, apparently Gary Neville roasted him after the Leicester debacle

The end should be nigh, but he will probably pull off a win or draw, taking the heat back off him as he often does that, before slumping back into mediocrity and the cycle continues

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room, surely apart from the likes of Rashy/ Mc T that will be next to go if it hadn't begun to already?

He's got to go but we will wait and wait. Get rid now and we may actually be able to salvage this season

Ladron de redcafe

I'm seeing more scathing online articles and I think the same in newspapers, apparently Gary Neville roasted him after the Leicester debacle

The end should be nigh, but he will probably pull off a win or draw, taking the heat back off him as he often does that, before slumping back into mediocrity and the cycle continues

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room, surely apart from the likes of Rashy/ Mc T that will be next to go if it hadn't begun to already?

He's got to go but we will wait and wait. Get rid now and we may actually be able to salvage this season
Some of the old guard have been critical, but not all. Paul Scholes urged the board to give him until the end of the season, last night.

I'm not sure Solskjaer would get sacked unless United are officially out of UCL contention. As much as I agree with you that the end should be near, I think he'll be given some rope.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Don’t know who decided to have the poll on Ole’s future in this thread. Either the title of the thread should be changed or the poll should be transferred to Ole thread. I feel that this thread is not getting the attention it deserves because of its title. @Raoul @Damien

BigRon1985

He will do what he always does when he’s on the edge of the cliff – pulls a rabbit out of a hat! Bet he scrapes into the top 4 on the last day of the season – he’s not going anywhere……:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.