When will we see Uniteds next brand change?

Silverman

We used to be Newton Heath and play in green and gold.
We have seen Man City and Juventus change their badge massively in recent times.
Chelsea in the mid 00's.
We have seen Cardiff change their home colours from blue to red.

Will United undergo any big change in the near future.

Personally, I would like to drop the devils tag. I think it's a bit goofy. Like with the badge, I think the old one with the coat of arms looked much better. Not as gimmicky.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Didn't Busby introduce the Devil's tag after the disaster with the Babes? He didn't want another team to have the moniker of the Babes.

In that case, I'm fine with babes.

In reality, a "brand change" will probably happen when we sell naming rights to Old Trafford, our Theatre Of Dreams.

Deery

Dreary
I like the old badge as well I have the 68’ European Cup winners top they brought out a couple of years ago with a gold badge and navy background it’s mint looking.

Silverman

I like the old badge as well I have the 68’ European Cup winners top they brought out a couple of years ago with a gold badge and navy background it’s mint looking.
Second this. It looks awesome. Much more professional.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I dunno really hard to even hazard a guess but I have to disagree on our nickname though, I love us being called The Red Devils.

Gazza

The devils stuff doesn’t do anything for me now but as a kid I loved it. Loved the red shirts, the badge, the devil trident imagery. If kids taking up the team still feel a connection like that, however corny it sounds to adults, I’d like to keep it.

sdb4884

Well we can't be called the Reds as that's Liverpools nickname so we would have to come up with something entirely different and I don't see that happening. I'd like us to update our badge, the current one is fine but I think it's time to update it as most of the other big clubs have.

Grande

We used to be Newton Heath and play in green and gold.
We have seen Man City and Juventus change their badge massively in recent times.
Chelsea in the mid 00's.
We have seen Cardiff change their home colours from blue to red.

Will United undergo any big change in the near future.

Personally, I would like to drop the devils tag. I think it's a bit goofy. Like with the badge, I think the old one with the coat of arms looked much better. Not as gimmicky.
That sounds like a very gimmicky thing to write. Newton Heath really wore red and white, most likely. I know brand changes are what you hope for when an American Franchise buys your club, but if it takes to long I would maybe suggest to you the Liverpool coat of arms, it’s elegant, fashinable and a bit ‘adultey’.

For me, the change from Manchester United Football Club to Manchester United (Ltd) was quite enough.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Well we can't be called the Reds as that's Liverpools nickname so we would have to come up with something entirely different and I don't see that happening. I'd like us to update our badge, the current one is fine but I think it's time to update it as most of the other big clubs have.
What?!

meamth

Back in the day, people in my country said united supporters support Satan.

Yeah, I would like to change it, but I can't see why we need to.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Oh god, this is definitely going to be an argument over the next 20 years isn't it. Like the redskins.

I like Red Devils.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think people are missing the point of Juve/City changing their logos. It's made for them to be visually lighter & more modern, easier to reproduce and less football-related (in order to expand the brand further*). Changing our logo to the one from 1968 will be the move to the opposite direction.

*PSG is probably the best example, considering their collaborations with Nike Air and a general focus on their kit becoming a fashion piece.

The devils thing is the one side of our branding that can be potentially changed in order to appeal to a wider audience (like Madrid removing a cross from their Middle-Eastern logo), but it doesn't seem to cause any issues at the moment in the markets that you'd expect to be affected by this the most, so I can't see it.

copen1945

Oh god, this is definitely going to be an argument over the next 20 years isn't it. Like the redskins.

I like Red Devils.
Do you see the equivalence? One is about racism. The other is about marketing.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'd like to see you really lean into the Satanist thing.

Change the cartoon satan on your badge to the one from the film Legend, rename the stadium "the theatre of nightmares", change the music you come out to some death metal. That sort of thing.

stevoc

I'd like to see you really lean into the Satanist thing.

Change the cartoon satan on your badge to the one from the film Legend, rename the stadium "the theatre of nightmares", change the music you come out to some death metal. That sort of thing.
I wouldn't mind that change actually. This is the one is a decent song but its more appropriate for the beginning of a corporate marketing video.

K Stand Knut

That sounds like a very gimmicky thing to write. Newton Heath really wore red and white, most likely. I know brand changes are what you hope for when an American Franchise buys your club, but if it takes to long I would maybe suggest to you the Liverpool coat of arms, it’s elegant, fashinable and a bit ‘adultey’.

For me, the change from Manchester United Football Club to Manchester United (Ltd) was quite enough.
You what????

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Changing a worldwide known advertising name is a dangerous and bold idea.
Imagine if McDonald's suddenly changed their name to David's Burgers.
The sponsorships would hate it as you are effectively throwing a major name in the bin and potentially ruining their profits.

Would people who already eat at McDonald's continue to eat at David's Burgers? I think they likely would but with skepticism.

As for United, it'd take a lot. There were the rumours years ago that if we were taken over by Saudis/Quatar that we would have to drop the devil imagery but we would have the financial backing to do so.
But when hundreds of sponsors know our brand and branding, it's a dangerous move.

It sadly has nothing to do with supporters or future supporters and solely to do with income.

I don't think we'll see it anytime soon

Reactions: Jippy

dcrompton

Ole has tried to reintroduce the Fergie brand of winning football. All that is missing is a title challenge or getting past a semi-final; in other words the winning part

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The old coat of arms was taken from the Manchester Council coat of arms iirc. As such, we probably wouldn't wanna go back to that because we wouldn't own it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
From an older thread on this topic

That's way WAY too "busy" by modern branding standards. It might look nice on an old building but it'll look shite on a shirt.

If we go for a brand redesign I reckon they'll strip it down to the devil alone, like they've done with the fashion range for quite a while now...

That's really nice and modern. Though I probably wouldn't like that to be our full time logo, but maybe on an away shirt it would be good.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Do you see the equivalence? One is about racism. The other is about marketing.
Ethics moves along. Maybe we'll be getting calls that it's offensive to Muslims/Christians/Jewish people. Something like this
Back in the day, people in my country said united supporters support Satan.

Yeah, I would like to change it, but I can't see why we need to.

Grande

You what????
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/true-colours-myth-busting-man-utds-first-kit

@decorativeed has also written informatively on this in a thread here, and on a website of United’shistorical kits.

We aparently played out first season with a white shirt with some sort of blue cord, and the likely with red and white halves (like the red and white roses of Lancashire and Yorkshire) for about twelve or thirteen years, before we had green and gold stripes for a season only, green with gold trim the next year, and then white shirts after that until the name change and the red shirts.

decorativeed

Didn't Busby introduce the Devil's tag after the disaster with the Babes? He didn't want another team to have the moniker of the Babes.

In that case, I'm fine with babes.

In reality, a "brand change" will probably happen when we sell naming rights to Old Trafford, our Theatre Of Dreams.
No, George Follows, one of the journalists who died at Munich had already introduced the Red Devils nickname. https://www.manutd.com/en/history/munich-remembered/the-men-we-lost/more-journalists

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/true-colours-myth-busting-man-utds-first-kit

@decorativeed has also written informatively on this in a thread here, and on a website of United’shistorical kits.

We aparently played out first season with a white shirt with some sort of blue cord, and the likely with red and white halves (like the red and white roses of Lancashire and Yorkshire) for about twelve or thirteen years, before we had green and gold stripes for a season only, green with gold trim the next year, and then white shirts after that until the name change and the red shirts.
Thanks, you've saved me replying there!

Deery

Dreary
What happened the little ship that used to sit on top of the badge I liked that little ship..

decorativeed

The old coat of arms was taken from the Manchester Council coat of arms iirc. As such, we probably wouldn't wanna go back to that because we wouldn't own it.
Exactly, it's owned by Manchester City Council. Not much point in our branding being someone else's branding and having no licencing potential.

What happened the little ship that used to sit on top of the badge I liked that little ship..
Err, it is still there?

arthurka

Just in a different place no?
Nothing wrong with this..
Only thing wrong with this club is it's lack of balls. We had it when LVG was here and we were both horny and sexy according to an old Dutch fart.

GoldTrafford99

Reality:

Manchester United is the most recognised sporting brand on the planet.

Caf logic:

"Let's change the brand"