When will you officially lose it during this transfer window?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
My expectations are so low, I doubt the club can disappoint me any further. Right? Right??? :nervous:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think people need to put less emphasis on the window and more on the team and coaching.

Last summer, you were deemed to have 'won' the transfer window and that did not turn out well. Bad transfers have not been your downfall in recent seasons, poor coaching and player development have, especially last season.

ETH is your most important signing, there is a ton of talent and potential in your squad, if he can get that out, that'll be far more important than some transfers, if he manages both then brilliant.

Elcabron

We're offloading squad passengers in quite satisfying numbers.

Honestly, I like that atm.
I like your attitude though I think we could have off loaded a few more by now.

I am pissed off that we weren't in for Bissouma or the left back from Brighton and that Ericksen is the only free transfer we have been interested in, we have a low budget so surely we could have gone in for others? Kamara and the Ajax right back being two examples.

I'll give it another week before I start to melt.

Elcabron

I think people need to put less emphasis on the window and more on the team and coaching.

Last summer, you were deemed to have 'won' the transfer window and that did not turn out well. Bad transfers have not been your downfall in recent seasons, poor coaching and player development have, especially last season.

ETH is your most important signing, there is a ton of talent and potential in your squad, if he can get that out, that'll be far more important than some transfers, if he manages both then brilliant.
Great post. People in here, of which I am one, should take heed. That said, midfield signings are mission critical especially after Pogba and Matic departures. No coach will survive on our current options.

AlexUTD

Rangnick's assessment is based upon his style of play. He never really tried to adapt tactics for the players, rather he tried to force the players into his system. Systems need time to be implemented and when you are entering mid-season, it is the worst approach. ETH's assessment will be different as he is more of a manager who can deal with existing options as compared to Rangnick.
If you watch the tweet i quoted about Ragnick im talking about recruiting players that fit into the playstyle of the manager wich this club has not done.

Skills

Snitch

Good post.

We need to be very careful the way we spend our money this transfer. This moronic BACK THE MANAGER anthem has repeatedly forced us into making stupid decisions such as signing Harry Maguire for £80m.

I'm sure we'll sign some players, but Ten Hag's key responsibility is to improve the players already at the club who will make the vast majority of his squad and also starting XI. The new signings will slot in whenever they come.

If managers need a minimum of a full pre-season with any new player, then by that logic we shouldn't ever make a January signing. But that's all bollocks as Luis Diaz/Bruno have shown in the last few years.

Dannn411

United transfer windows always end up in one of two ways. Either we sign nobody (because we have no chance at the best of the best in the window and the decision makers are not smart enough to identify great talent not yet in the spotlight) or we end up being the biggest spenders in the window by grossly overpaying for overhyped players who do not address key squad needs and turn out to be flops.

So either way, it usually ends up being a disappointment and that is why I stopped caring a long time ago.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Honestly, I feel like everyone has just gone mad. Mainly driven by the Nunez Liverpool deal.

If it gets to the end of July and there's still no movement, yeah I'll be concerned. But that's six and a bit weeks away. A long long time.

I tend to get concerned when things are shit. Not when things might be shit. Because at the same time, they also might not be. I don't know. I'm not a psychic. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
but pre-season training starts later this month (June)...

NoPace

De Jong going to a prem rival would do it, even if we’re powerless to stop it if one makes an equal financial offer to Barca.

The worst possible XI I can talk myself into being at minimum acceptable is:

Bruno-Cristiano-Sancho
VDB-DM-Fred
Shaw-LCB-Varane/Maguire-Dalot
De Gea

And a bunch of the young guys looking really promising and being given major squad roles. And the LCB and DM have to be great players or guys I haven’t seen much of and so can talk myself into.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Good post.

We need to be very careful the way we spend our money this transfer. This moronic BACK THE MANAGER anthem has repeatedly forced us into making stupid decisions such as signing Harry Maguire for £80m.

I'm sure we'll sign some players, but Ten Hag's key responsibility is to improve the players already at the club who will make the vast majority of his squad and also starting XI. The new signings will slot in whenever they come.

If managers need a minimum of a full pre-season with any new player, then by that logic we shouldn't ever make a January signing. But that's all bollocks as Luis Diaz/Bruno have shown in the last few years.
that's all very well, but the January window is for when a manager has spotted the few/small area(s) that ned strengthening or improving. We need pretty much a complete overhaul at the moment. I'm not sure we ever replaced Paul Scholes!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I really thought Timber would be done quickly. It seemed ETH wanted him and he wanted to come and that it wouldn't cost a small fortune. Of course, I forgot that Murtugh was actually Ed Woodward wearing one of those stupid Mission Impossible masks to make him look like someone else...

And i stupidly believed that once he signed FdJ would follow. I really should know better. Sh!tshow about to be upgraded to the start of the slow death of a club

NoPace

It makes sense for Ten Hag to have some time with the team to evaluate the most promising young players (Hannibal, Amad, Pellistri) and the talented enigmas whose exact position/role within that position isn’t clear yet (Shaw, Rashford, Martial, Dalot) but we absolutely need an LCB and a DM whatever else happens this summer. I don’t believe McTominay can be fixed overnight or really at all apart from a squaddie and I think someone in the Prem would pay okay money for him and I don’t think either Maguire or Varane on the left is best for them or that Varane can stay healthy and that Maguire won’t need lots of rest considering it’s 23 games in 14 weeks to start the season or whatever cuz of the World Cup.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
All the nice talk by the Glazers is exactly the same as other years and i fear that ETH will suffer the same consequences as Mourinho etc

ForeverRed1

I’m a minority but I like the fact the world doesn’t have a clue what we’re doing. Be sure though they are trying.

jrsenior

I won't. Years of incompetence at every level won't be rectified in a transfer window.

Skills

Snitch
that's all very well, but the January window is for when a manager has spotted the few/small area(s) that ned strengthening or improving. We need pretty much a complete overhaul at the moment. I'm not sure we ever replaced Paul Scholes!
No we don't - unless you're actually expecting Ten Hag to go and win the title next season. If you're expecting anything less than a title then we don't need an overhaul.

Asking for an overhaul just to get top 4 next season is stupid, for very little reward.

Bestietom

Well Jones, Bailly, and Henderson, soon to go gets more off the paysheet. Like to see Antony and De Jong deals go through in next week, then move on to next signings.

Deery

Dreary
No we don't - unless you're actually expecting Ten Hag to go and win the title next season. If you're expecting anything less than a title then we don't need an overhaul.

Asking for an overhaul just to get top 4 next season is stupid, for very little reward.
You have watched us haven’t you? Our worst season ever. We need a right back, two midfielders, a right wing and a striker, probably a centre back as well, reserve goally if Henderson goes. That’s 7 players and I’m not even exaggerating I’m being kind.

Skills

Snitch
You have watched us haven’t you? Our worst season ever. We need a right back, two midfielders, a right wing and a striker, probably a centre back as well, reserve goally if Henderson goes. That’s 7 players and I’m not even exaggerating I’m being kind.
You're being hysterical. I hope you don't approach every little issue in life like this.

Ankle Sprain : AMPUTATE ME NOW.

rotherham_red

I won't lose it. I'm beyond caring at this point. We've ridden this rodeo way too often post-SAF. Anyone getting emotionally invested in this shit show can only have themselves to blame for feeling like shit when it inevitably falls to pieces.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I won't reach breaking point because I am not a bed wetting child.
This is my answer too. The club are working, let them work. They will know what the manager wants and they aren’t going to piss him off before a ball has even been kicked.
Furthermore we are talking about someone changing their place of employment. Odd thing to get angry about.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Careful or you'll provoke another Daddy want rant from Glaston!

WPMUFC

If we go on and finish the tour with the same squad, but simply smaller. The idea we could finish the tour with not even a free signing like Eriksen is beyond crazy.

Deery

Dreary
You're being hysterical. I hope you don't approach every little issue in life like this.

Ankle Sprain : AMPUTATE ME NOW.
So you want to have a 38 year old as our only striker all season?

Dalot a reserve right back as our starter?

Not replace Mata or Matic?

No improvement in midfield?

Maybe throw Jones in goal if DeGea gets injured?

Green Arrow

If we go on and finish the tour with the same squad, but simply smaller. The idea we could finish the tour with not even a free signing like Eriksen is beyond crazy.
Totally agree we need to have 1/2 players on the tour who are new and shifted the deadwood, however that's not going to happen. Our squad is already poorer with the players gone and we are playing catchup already in the transfer. Same old transfer window every year.

Skills

Snitch

Like i said, you're hysterical. If want to frame it like that, i'm sure your entire world's falling apart around you - it's not healthy.

Deery

Dreary
Insulting another member
Like i said, you're hysterical. If want to frame it like that, i'm sure your entire world's falling apart around you - it's not healthy.
Feck off you tit.

Bondi77

It's only a game
If you feel frustrated then go out for a run or get in the ring with someone and have a tear up!

OpenIntrovert

Never heard such rubbish. Ten Hag has a system and there will be players who can’t do it, just like Rangnick‘s system. That’s when the club should be helping him buy players to fit his system and so far they haven’t done that.

Pep replaced 6 players the season after he finished 4th with Man City, including the England number one Joe Hart. There was uproar about it at the time but he wanted a sweeper keeper. Same with Klopp.

Our biggest issue is the time it takes for player turnover. At least half our squad should not be playing for United anymore and have been failures at the club for too long.

The fact we could be going into our third season with McFred at CM, and Lindelof and Maguire as CB (Varane will spend half the season injured) says it all. Our spine is incredibly weak defensively yet nothing is done to rectify it.
The difference between ETH and Rangnick is that he knows that the player's capabilities are more than what has been seen this season. He has mentioned that this squad got 2nd the season before, hinting that there were some other issues causing their bad performances.

As for system, ETH has a more defined style of play but he is not very rigid in the type of formations he use. He tends to favor a wing based attacking approach with the wingers becoming inverted forwards, supported by a center forward capable of holding up play and scoring goals. We have those type of players but there needs to be more synergy in terms of passing and movement. The only problem is the midfield which is quite unbalanced in terms of CMs and DMs, which I am sure will be addressed this window.

OpenIntrovert

If you watch the tweet i quoted about Rangnick im talking about recruiting players that fit into the playstyle of the manager wich this club has not done.
That's true. I would say the recruitment team was not very good at picking up the right players, which makes sense on why there has been a overhaul in the scouting area.

DevTheRed

If we leave for pre season and still haven’t signed anyone I’ll be fuming. We really need as much of a head start we can possibly get.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

I don't get the frustration, the window is open until September 1st, so you are very unlikely to go into next season like this. Posts like this make more sense in mid August!.

At the moment it is clear you are negotiating with Barca for FDJ, a massive midfield upgrade, personal terms seem to be sorted it is just the fee and you don't want to be ripped off. You've clearly put in an offer for Erikson another midfield upgrade. I'm not so sure about other reports but the talk around Anthony seems to have basis in fact especially since Nunez went to Liverpool.

It's very early days.

Ollie Derbyshire

I pretty much have as low expectations as I can have at the minute. I wouldn’t be surprised if all we do is let end of contract players leave (which isn’t really being proactive in culling the crap in my opinion), loan out Perreria for the umpteenth time cause no one really wants him even for free and Henderson cause he’s desperate for regular games and we think he ‘might’ take over from DDG at some point in the next 10 years.

Incomings I have no idea, we’ve gone down the big signing route before that’s dragged on all summer and been either embarrassed or rinsed so FDJ is anyone’s guess. If we don’t get Timber and Anthony (seems like ETH wants them) from his old club then we really are in a bad state.

People saying we have loads of time left to get players in, what about integrating them into the squad in pre season? We’ll have ready made excuses for any poor start to the season in the bag already.... x player needs time to regain fitness, x player needs to settle in.

same old same old.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My expectations are pretty low but they're always being overridden by that little "what if?" bit of hope. If we head off for pre-season with the exact same squad as last year I'll be pretty frustrated.

Zlatattack

I wont. I have really low expectations. In the last 6 months my only association with Manchester United has been the community here at the Caf. I've hated the poor performances since SAF left, but I still watched the team, followed the team news etc, when they so blatantly downed tools for Ralf, I stopped watching and caring.

I really hope ETH does well, in my opinion we need major surgery for it to happen, and I don't think we'll get that.