When will you officially lose it during this transfer window?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The worrying thing is that we needed a great window to catch up with The 3rd and 4th placed teams that finished the season. They appear to be strengthening now and not standing still, so we will need an absolutely unbelievable window to keep pace.

If we started three steps behind them teams then we needed to make four steps forward to progress. The trouble is those teams are doing good business and are now four to five steps ahead. I just can’t see us having a good enough window to make up the ground we’ve lost.

Even if we sign FDJ we will be heavily relying on Rashford, Bruno and Martial having brilliant seasons. One of Fred or McTom will also have to massively step up. Can anyone see that happening?

The squad needed major surgery even with Pogba, Matic and Cavani. To lose those three players (that were all first teamers) and not replace them is quite frankly ridiculous.

Supporters patience with the board is simmering at the moment. It will be at boiling point if ETH is not fully backed.

Garethw

Two midfielders and an attacker should be at the club before we head out for pre season. If not then it’s negligence.

Defensive acquisitions needed when we’ve got rid of a few.
100% agree pal. As things stand we will be totally reliant on Ronaldo and McFred.

Theonas

Scout
I'd say a couple of midfielders and a forward player are necessary, if to just have enough bodies considering how many are leaving. I think we will prioritise that with De Jong and someone else, maybe Eriksen. Up front looks worrying though as all our forwards have question marks on them for different reasons. Ideally we need a right back too but I wouldn't be surprised if that has to wait in favour of midfield and forward options.

Garethw

Could it be that club are expecting Greenwood back for next season? This is surely more logical than believing that they are happy to go into a new season with only Ronaldo and Sancho as guaranteed starters in attack?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Could it be that club are expecting Greenwood back for next season? This is surely more logical than believing that they are happy to go into a new season with only Ronaldo and Sancho as guaranteed starters in attack?
Yes and yes imo.

Lot of things depend if Mason can take back control of his own life, but for now the squad is depleted of vital options to think the club will just let him go.

Adding goalscoring RW could push Greenwood bit more to the centre of attack. So many scenarios and in he same time one simple conclusion that adding one attacker to the mix could be a failsafe preventing disaster if Ronaldo's batteries will be depleted in the middle of season.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yes and yes imo.

Lot of things depend if Mason can take back control of his own life, but for now the squad is depleted of vital options to think the club will just let him go.

Adding goalscoring RW could push Greenwood bit more to the centre of attack. So many scenarios and in he same time one simple conclusion that adding one attacker to the mix could be a failsafe preventing disaster if Ronaldo's batteries will be depleted in the middle of season.
The fact that people are considering this is absolutely sickening & I’m perplexed that this is even being thought of.

The club will not touch Greenwood with a barge pole. Not now. Not in the future. Not ever. He is not playing for the club ever again. Feck. He aint even playing in the country ever again.

The PR as the CAF likes to throw around willy nilly would destroy itself from the inside out. The club and all of it’s supporters image would be in the dirt. The club sponsors would drop us faster than ever.

It ain’t happening.Ever. The club are definitely just going to “let him go”

Buzzbee

I'll lose it when United keep playing the waiting game with De Jong to shave a few mil off the asking price, before Lewandowski decides he cba waiting and goes to Chelsea, then Barca decide to keep De Jong.

Annoys me because look at Liverpool and Nunez. Deal done, no stress, lots of time to get plans in place. United's lowballing waiting game just always brings back memories of Fellaini and that deal

Paul_Scholes18

I want a midfielder right now. If we can have a strong midfield that can cover our defenders and help our strikers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The fact that people are considering this is absolutely sickening & I’m perplexed that this is even being thought of.

The club will not touch Greenwood with a barge pole. Not now. Not in the future. Not ever. He is not playing for the club ever again. Feck. He aint even playing in the country ever again.

The PR as the CAF likes to throw around willy nilly would destroy itself from the inside out. The club and all of it’s supporters image would be in the dirt. The club sponsors would drop us faster than ever.

Where's the official statement, why the stalling ? The best action would to be find someone in his place which could immediately send a message.

The longer the silence on that front, the more it's becoming taxing on club's image.

Nothing is answered, therefore I think club could be checking options.

Sviken

Wow, you think the club cares about morals and stuff? Or the league? Come the feck on. The owners of City and Newcastle are modern day slavers who kill people for fun.

Garethw

I don’t want him anywhere near the club personally. But I fully expect him to play for United again if he is cleared of the charges.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes and yes imo.

When are we going to start planning for life without MG?

AFC NimbleThumb

You’re going to be sorely disappointed, they’ll be reintegration at some point in the coming season. You’re doing the old thing of mixing morality with business. The business will try as hard as possible to salvage the asset.

It’s rather clear where this is going. You’re being terribly naive to believe anything else. I personally will find it difficult to support the club should this happen for obvious reasons but the club aren’t getting rid of a player if charges aren’t brought.

There’s a reckoning coming for the club & the fanbase.

Esset

Oh dear no. I lost faith in this club the day glazers bought it.

golden_blunder

Staff
How about 38 years old Ronaldo who was scouted 20 years ago ?
I fail to see the point. MG is facing rape, assault and threat to kill charges. This is as serious as it gets. First he will be lucky if it’s through the courts anytime soon, secondly he will be lucky if he gets off. IF he does get off it can surely only be because the girl refuses to go through with it. It all adds up to him not pulling on another United shirt professionally again.

AFC NimbleThumb

I fail to see the point. MG is facing rape, assault and threat to kill charges. This is as serious as it gets. First he will be lucky if it’s through the courts anytime soon, secondly he will be lucky if he gets off. IF he does get off it can surely only be because the girl refuses to go through with it. It all adds up to him not pulling on another United shirt professionally again.
If that happens the club aren’t going to get rid of an ‘innocent’ asset without at least attempting to reintegrate it. Serious question, what are you doing if the latter happens as I think a lot of people are avoiding the possibility.

Roboc7

Wow, you think the club cares about morals and stuff? Or the league? Come the feck on. The owners of City and Newcastle are modern day slavers who kill people for fun.
Morals no, but social media and sponsors are way more than pretty much anything else. That’s why Greenwood is almost certainly finished because no one will want to be associated with him.

The audio clip is vile, without it if the charges were dropped I have no doubt he’d be back . But that clip is public and even if charges are dropped it’s untenable to have him back.

golden_blunder

Staff
If that happens the club aren’t going to get rid of an ‘innocent’ asset without at least attempting to reintegrate it. Serious question, what are you doing if the latter happens as I think a lot of people are avoiding the possibility.
IF that happens, it doesn’t prove his innocence. Its just that they can’t go forward with charging. I think we all got a snapshot of what was happening. He would never live it down in this country with fans, sponsors etc. what’s to stop a nutter running onto the pitch with a knife?
I believe that IF that happens it’s in his own interests to get out of the country and play abroad

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist waiting for Frenkie and 1 or 2 others who will be arriving and I get it......

I'm far more excited about seeing some of our existing players coming on leaps and bounds under Erik though tbh.

Really excited to see what he can do with the likes of Garner, Garnacho and Hannibal not to mention getting the more senior players back into some decent form.

Keep the faith chaps. This is the start of a long road back.

golden_blunder

Staff
They should release somekind of statement and be done with it, because the message they now sending is exact opposite to what you write.

In Disneyland a lot of things can happen.
I suspect they are staying quiet until the end of the matter. If he goes to jail he will be fired and his contract torn up. If he stays out, I think they will try to sell him abroad

golden_blunder

Staff
Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist waiting for Frenkie and 1 or 2 others who will be arriving and I get it......

I'm far more excited about seeing some of our existing players coming on leaps and bounds under Erik though tbh.

Really excited to see what he can do with the likes of Garner, Garnacho and Hannibal not to mention getting the more senior players back into some decent form.

:D

welshwingwizard

We're offloading squad passengers in quite satisfying numbers.

Honestly, I like that atm.
Isn't this what they said Ole did well. Only to end with a large bloated squad of mediocre players again. We need new talent. Proper talent. And there is no way players like Jones and Bailly should still be here come end of summer. Even if we release him and have to pay off the contract.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I suspect they are staying quiet until the end of the matter. If he goes to jail he will be fired and his contract torn up. If he stays out, I think they will try to sell him abroad
If Ebiowei / Antony links have substance this could happen faster, if not the case could go on for more weeks... or he gets quick sentencing in court and all is solved automatically.

If somehow he makes case in court like Saul Goodman and wins his freedom, United will have to finally take matter in it's hands. So far the best option is to find proper alternative in player and respond on the pitch, but reality is not so forgiving for the football side of the club.

MG the United player is current and objective state of things.

SungSam7

31.01.2023 , if we are struggling and haven’t signed anyone then
Really? Id be done by the end of this window, buying players if youre struggling to break top 4 is an absolute nightmare because clubs no why you're coming to them looking for said player.

Prices rise higher for a player normally than they would in the summer.

Thistlesoup

Every manager in the world, no matter how good they are, needs quality players in order to win trophies.

Even Klopp and Guardiola.

Klopp wouldn't have been able to do what he has done at Liverpool if, for example, they'd neglected to buy Alisson and Mane and been stuck with what they had year after year.

There's a cult of the manager at this club where it's believed that one man alone can/will come in and change everything regardless of the underlying dysfunction at the club and glaring deficiencies in the squad. Fergie was a one off and it's not going to happen again. But still every new manager is treated as the latest saviour despite no changes to the overall incompetent approach at club level.

There are glaring deficiencies in the squad, and if Ten Hag isn't properly backed and the correct players aren't recruited, he's not going to get the results we want.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Every manager in the world, no matter how good they are, needs quality players in order to win trophies.

Even Klopp and Guardiola.

Klopp wouldn't have been able to do what he has done at Liverpool if, for example, they'd neglected to buy Alisson and Mane and been stuck with what they had year after year.

There's a cult of the manager at this club where it's believed that one man alone can/will come in and change everything regardless of the underlying dysfunction at the club and glaring deficiencies in the squad. Fergie was a one off and it's not going to happen again. But still every new manager is treated as the latest saviour despite no changes to the overall incompetent approach at club level.

There are glaring deficiencies in the squad, and if Ten Hag isn't properly backed and the correct players aren't recruited, he's not going to get the results we want.
But we will be buying players.

Also I think fans might need to wake and realise that this might not all be fixed in one summer.

Charles Miller

We'll never get things right if people are not prepared for the possibility of throwing a season away(again, i know). We dont know how players are going to react to a new system. Maybe Sancho and Rashford find their best version and we don't need spend so much on the market. Midifield and CB are the areas where i think there no option other than signing new players. Mostly due to the specific characteristics needed to play Ten Hag style. He would need ball playing fast CBs, able to play on a high line and midfielders that can hold the ball and with a high percentage of pass accuracy.

tjb

It's only June. I understand the anxiety due to having a really poor season and new team needing to prove themselves. However, it's better that they do everything they can to secure the best deals that we can get. If that takes some time, then we just have to wait.

It's taking time because:

1. We are sticking to a set budget
2. We haven't sold too many players
3. We are ensuring we get the best possible deal on our major negotiation

FDJ will take up a bit of our budget, securing that transfer and getting a decent deal would see a floodgate of more signings imo.

The issue we have actually had in the past, the root cause for our issues in the transfer market, haven't been because of a slow pace in terms of negotiation. It's that we have signed available players who were simply not good enough just to get some transfers in. Our worst windows were with LVG when we signed many players who ended up not being nearly as good. Money was spent, yet the quality was bad.

We were never going to win a battle for Haaland or blow our budget on a player like Nunez, given the fact that our actual need is in midfield and defence.

The fact is, July isn't even here. City's best windows were spent getting in 3 or 4 genuinely good players, transfers which took time and effort. Rangnick's idea of a ten man window was never going to happen. We will get maybe 4 and ensure that we get the best out of last summer's intake as well, in addition to blooding in some youngsters.

We could have a situation in which Eriksen and FDJ come in and we would still have 60m plus a few sales to add a midfield partner and get a right back. AWB, Bailly and Dean Henderson alone could fetch us an extra 40million +. It just needs patience. August is the end date, always remember that

tjb

We'll never get things right if people are not prepared for the possibility of throwing a season away(again, i know). We dont know how players are going to react to a new system. Maybe Sancho and Rashford find their best version and we don't need spend so much on the market. Midifield and CB are the areas where i think there no option other than signing new players. Mostly due to the specific characteristics needed to play Ten Hag style. He would need ball playing fast CBs, able to play on a high line and midfielders that can hold the ball and with a high percentage of pass accuracy.
For me, you can just throw away talents like Rashford who have been able to produce in the past. Sancho will also come good. You also have the likes of Amad, Hannibal, Garner and Garnacho coming through. Ronaldo being in a set system too. As much as I don't like it, Martial will also get an opportunity to prove that he belongs here. We've seen past glimpses of talent, who knows if that works too.

The bigger issues are at right back and central midfield. We can survive without have attacking signings with the current squad we have. On paper, Chelsea have a far worse attacking line up than we do, yet they can score goals for fun and win a Champions League. The core focus should be on improving the elements that stall our build up play and improving the elements that prevent us from sustaining control ( weak ball recovery and weak ball retention). In the modern game, these features are drive by a teams full backs and central midfielders. Hence, that should be our focus anyway

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No we don't - unless you're actually expecting Ten Hag to go and win the title next season. If you're expecting anything less than a title then we don't need an overhaul.

Asking for an overhaul just to get top 4 next season is stupid, for very little reward.
thanks Mrs Murtough

Withnail

No chance. At the very least it would be a PR disaster for the club. 'Not enough evidence to convict' would not save his career imo given what we've already heard and seen from his alleged victim. He's done and I think rightfully so.

Deery

Dreary
I don't get the frustration, the window is open until September 1st, so you are very unlikely to go into next season like this. Posts like this make more sense in mid August!.

At the moment it is clear you are negotiating with Barca for FDJ, a massive midfield upgrade, personal terms seem to be sorted it is just the fee and you don't want to be ripped off. You've clearly put in an offer for Erikson another midfield upgrade. I'm not so sure about other reports but the talk around Anthony seems to have basis in fact especially since Nunez went to Liverpool.

It's very early days.
You’re basically agreeing with me, the guy said we don’t need an overhaul but you’ve just named 4 players that could’ve been brought in. That’s what I was saying we need players in soon it’s not a question of getting a player because he might be good, we actually need players to even compete and fill the squad, would there even be enough for an 11v11 training match at the minute?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not sure how this became a Greenwood thread.

When will I "lose it"? I lost it before the transfer window.
We fired the one man who knew what was actually going on on the pitch and in the dressing room - Ralf R.
Now the board can go ahead and make out that all is well and tell ETH that he must make do with the fantastic squad he is inheriting. Ralf R was the loose cannon that they needed to get rid of, - he knew how bad the mentality of the players was.
Ralf R could've identified some up-and-coming talent - something he was good at. Instead, we have now reverted to type and focusing on big-name, expensive signings, which we know doesn't work.

We should've sold about 5-10 players. We've sold none. The board are absolutely useless. Matt Judge is as useful as a chocolate teapot and he is still in his position attempting to make deals (a job he is terrible at and should not be doing).

I have no doubt that De Jong will join for a big transfer fee and a big wage, just as Pogba did 6 years ago. Fans will get excited. Fans will think that all is well and will completely forget that our form a few weeks ago was barely better than that of the relegated teams.
Some fans may even believe that a trophy is possible.

Tyrion

I won't reach breaking point because I am not a bed wetting child.
This. I don't obsess over the transfer window because 90% of it is rumours and gossip, invented by media that are desperately trying to minimise the loss of attention they suffer while the football is over.

Last summer was pretty good and the season was a disaster so I'm not overthinking what some people on twitter think Man United are doing/not doing

croadyman

When I actually see we aren't able to sell anyone even though it's looking a real possibility

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Already have and it isn't because we haven't signed anyone, it's the fact we're repeating old habits and not being smart in the market when we need to gut the squad.

Basically targeting a highly uncertain transfer (De Jong) who'd also take up 60/70% of our budget, there were free agents that we could have been looking at if the club had any direction, but we're winging it.

It looks like Ten Hag has been made to be head scout this summer whilst the actual scouts probably couldn't be trusted (and shouldn't be if their recommendations were Maguire and AWB etc) - this leads to us only starting our business after Ten Hags appointment, which in turn put us behind everyone else who's probably been negotiating with clubs/agents for months.

I hope we're looking at players with 1 year left on their contracts this summer and start to do the ground work now, that's how you get stuff done.