Where did it all go wrong for Mario Gotze?

izec

He is at Dortmund and has a hot girlfriend. I think he is doing fine. Not every youngster becomes a world beater

alsabi

What's happened to his career over the last few years is a shame but I'd love things to 'go wrong' for me like they've done for him...

Skills

Snitch
Injuries stopped him from ever getting going and then he got ill

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The cnut is having the time of his life this summer with his hot girlfriend. No sympathy from me.

Sterling Archer

The article has a lot of lead up to the main point - he was on the path to even more special things in addition to the World Cup winning goal. And the injuries that were thought to be hindering him turned out to be related to the long standing rare muscular disorder. That pretty much answers the title.

The real question should be, could Gotze have rivalled Messi in any capacity had he also started taking some sort of medically reasoned dose (not necessarily HGH) at a younger age..could he have staved off some of the injuries with a proper diagnosis?

Art Vandelay

Article didn't mention long term consequences of his illness. If he is completely cured or what the long term effects will be. He did say he needed a lot of rehab and medication at the start, but where has that left him? He did say he can return to competitive sport, but at what percentage of what he was before?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Article didn't mention long term consequences of his illness. If he is completely cured or what the long term effects will be. He did say he needed a lot of rehab and medication at the start, but where has that left him? He did say he can return to competitive sport, but at what percentage of what he was before?
It's an incurable muscle disease, no way any top athlete could "manage" the condition.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was never special, just like majority of Dortmund players that were considered future world class players at some point. Never really understood the fuss about him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He was never special, just like majority of Dortmund players that were considered future world class players at some point. Never really understood the fuss about him.
By the time he turned 21 he had 22 goals and 32 assists in Bundesliga to his name (while being injured for half a season), as a midfielder..
Dembele at the same mark sits at 21 goals and 25 assist.
Messi had 30 goals and 19 assists.

In the CL 2 goals 10 assists vs 3 goals 6 assists vs 8 goals and 4 assists.

Must have been one of the best/most productive nothing special players in history.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Hmmm you mean Reus, Hummels and Lewandowski? Yea, never understood the fuss :confused:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

His season was marked by initial fitness issues another injury and in Stöger a coach who didn't really know how to use him, but I think you still see his individual quality shine through.
His pace, while not being explosive to begin with, hasn't exactly improved over the years, so he can't play on the wing anymore, but I could still see him do well in as some sort of #8/10.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
He was just incredible good for Klopp at Dortmund - it was a joy to watch him.
Then the transfer to Bayern and his illness and sadly never reached the same level again.

He was special.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Honestly never thought he was THAT good at Dortmund first time round.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The article has a lot of lead up to the main point - he was on the path to even more special things in addition to the World Cup winning goal. And the injuries that were thought to be hindering him turned out to be related to the long standing rare muscular disorder. That pretty much answers the title.

The real question should be, could Gotze have rivalled Messi in any capacity had he also started taking some sort of medically reasoned dose (not necessarily HGH) at a younger age..could he have staved off some of the injuries with a proper diagnosis?
I think he was actually already on the decline when he scored the goal vs Argentina. That season was when his disease began to affect his performances. The young Götze was an incredible dribbler but as soon as he arrived in Munich, he kind of lost that quality. Guardiola would never use him on the wings because he lacked the required pace. Götze was always compared with Neymar and in the WC 2014 I remember Neymar stepping up big time and everybody wondering why Götze played so cowardly. Now I think he intuitively adjusted his playing style to his declining physique.

Could he have rivalled Messi? I don't think so. In terms of close control, footwork and footballing brain, probably yes. Besides that he could convert his abilities into results from a very young age and was never really a show pony but frightingly effective. He also is a very, very good finisher, unlike exemplarily Hazard. But he never had this incredible acceleration of Messi and this is not because of medication but because of their body characteristics. I recently read Messi is the footballer with the shortest legs compared to his upper body, giving him an extremely low center of gravity. Götze lacked that part. At one point for Dortmund, he was Europe's most successful dribbler (I think with five dribbles per game) aged 18 or 19 but this physical prowess was never part of his game. I think Iniesta or Zidane would be a much better comparison.

But there's still time. Reports said that now his disease is diagnosed and he gets treatment, there is no reason why he should't be back to his best. Some matches of him looked really promising. If he is able to lose some kilos again it might actually happen. Would be amazing, he was my favourite player to watch in his first Dortmund episode.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Götze was a special talent. He was running rampage in the Bundesliga at 18/19 years old, and he did very well in the CL alongside Reus and Lewandowski.
2010-2013 Gotze was a special talent.

Serious illness does that to you...

Also feels a bit like he's lost the motivation. He was the future superstar and when it became clear he was never going to reach that potential, combined with having already reached the pinnacle of the sport, it seems like he's stopped trying a bit.

Robertd0803

The transfer to Bayern especially in the shitty circumstances.
And the illness.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He had a life threatening ilness & it didn't help he was treated like shit by Guardiola in his prime developing years.

TheLiverBird

His illness changed him

it would probably change anyone

it’s as simple as that

Hes just in the fortunate position where he’s 27 years old and could retire for the rest of his life as a multimillionaire tomorrow if he wanted so now he has his health back, which I’m pleased about, I can’t feel sorry for him with his dip in quality, he’s a lucky guy

El Zoido

His illness is what did him in, can’t reach peak performance with something so huge affecting you. Also, this place is such a Klopp wankfest these days, can’t go in to any thread without seeing someone noshing him off. Can we just rename the site to Red and White Klopp and be done with it.

arthurka

Ha hasn´t looked fit for some time now. Don´t think any top club will take him on.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How does he play nowadays? Average?