Where do you rank Mason Greenwood as a talent?

cyril C

Modern football have little place for a pure finisher. Greenwood is a natural finisher, lethal inside the box. Is MU ready to build a team around a pure finisher like Greenwood, perhaps not(yet). As on other aspects of his game for the team, there is very little evidence, IMO even counter productive. during Ole era. I blame the management team for not developing his other aspects of game. Shooting may be what he is good at, and what he enjoys, and what he focus on training. But you must learn other aspects of game, team work, to be a team player.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
One of the best young talents in world football. Probably only firmly behind Haaland and Mbappe. I'd place him on the same level as the likes of Musiala and Pedri. Ralf's comments on improving his physical game makes it sound like he wants him to improve his pressing and stamina (which I totally agree with, this side of his game is poor). I'm assuming this because he's already extremely fast. He might also be referring to him buffing up and getting stronger which I don't necessarily agree with as much, I feel like in the position Greenwood plays, speed is more important, especially since Rangnick says he sees him as more of a 9 and a half. Due to his height he's never going to be much of an aerial threat, no matter how much he works on it. He should go on to be a top player. Hope he gets more game time up front.
He's 1.81m, how tall does he have to be to be an aerial threat?

Dazzmondo

He's 1.81m, how tall does he have to be to be an aerial threat?
Close to 1.90m I'd say in general tends to be an ideal height. Maybe 1.85m for some players who know how to time their jumps perfectly. I can't think of many prolific goalscorers with their head that are 1.80m.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Close to 1.90m I'd say in general tends to be an ideal height. Maybe 1.85m for some players who know how to time their jumps perfectly. I can't think of many prolific goalscorers with their head that are 1.80m.
Tim Cahill and Denis Law. Rooney was pretty decent at it at one stage.

At the opposite end you've Thiago Silva and Cannvaro who were both very good aerially despite not being very tall.

Timing is more important than height in my opinion, and that's teachable.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Tier 1 - Mbappe, Haaland
Tier 2a - Sancho, Foden, Vinicius, Rashford, Pedri, Bellingham, Davies, Havertz, Isak
Tier 2b - Ansu Fati, DeLigt, Saka, F. DeJong, Greenwood, Dest, Fofana, Gravenberch, James, Kamara, Keane, Kang-in, Kubo

Skills

Snitch
Mason's an elite goalscoring/striking talent at a time when there is quite a shortage of them. We're at a unique advantage because once those two are snapped up, quite a few of the elite clubs will be scrambling around to for their striking solutions. We've already got ours on hand.

bringbackbebe

He's played roughly 50 games a season in the last 2 years while being a teen. I don't think we've had teenagers since Rooney/Ronaldo do this, and homegrown talent since Giggs. Of course times are different, but clearly there's something that's to see.

future2future

Tier 1 - Mbappe, Haaland
Tier 2a - Sancho, Foden, Vinicius, Rashford, Pedri, Bellingham, Davies, Havertz, Isak
Tier 2b - Ansu Fati, DeLigt, Saka, F. DeJong, Greenwood, Dest, Fofana, Gravenberch, James, Kamara, Keane, Kang-in, Kubo
Fati is 2a, and arguably 1, if he can stay fit for a while.

superdry

touched by a genius
Rate him very highly but still waiting for him to shed his youthful shell and start marauding premier league defences.

Mr PG

Technically he’s better than Rooney was. Already better than Rashford. He’s Sancho’s equal imo

UpWithRivers

Rangnick said he is a nine and a half and has all the technical ability but needs to develop physically and mentally. Thats bang on. He can be anything he wants but he needs to be in his best position and he needs developing. As a support striker in the two up top in our new system would be his perfect position. Then he needs to work with the coaches day in day out and keep asking questions, watching videos and learning. If he does that then he can go from potential to world class I have no doubt.

Red Rash

Definitely one of the most talented players coming out of our academy.

Already an elite finisher but needs to work on his all round game. He can still be a bit greedy at times which poses positives and negatives and needs to get stronger and improve his aerial ability.

Players like Haaland and Mbappe possess physical advantages which is why they appear to be on another level.

I think Greenwood needs more time to develop physically and could become one of the best strikers in the world around 23 - 25 years old.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I've not been as enthusiastic about a young academy product ever before. Take away the HG side and he is up there with Wayne and Cristiano. It's entirely down to him whether he follows their path or not.

I'd like to see him play a lot with Edi upfront over the next six months he is around. They were really hitting it off at one point last season.

mav_9me

Tier 1 - Mbappe, Haaland
Not a bad list, and there are going to be some disagreements naturally. Just wanted to point out you are missing Wirtz and Musiala who are 2a (imo but likely others would disagree)

TypeR

I’d think his baseline is at the very least similar to Rashford’s. Different type of players, but similar in quality. Where Rashford has over him is sustained performances, which I don’t think it’s something that Greenwood can’t match.

In terms of ceiling, I’d say that Greenwood has the world at his feet. It really depends how he develops over the next few years. He could reach or even exceed Mbappe’s level, or he could end up as a good player but not elite, which is no knock on him either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd like to see him play a lot with Edi upfront over the next six months he is around. They were really hitting it off at one point last season.
When Cavani was about to beat up Mancini for Greenwood :drool: True bromance

PoTMS

I'd argue he's already better than Rashford. The latter is no more consistent than Greenwood.

Idxomer

Modern football have little place for a pure finisher. Greenwood is a natural finisher, lethal inside the box. Is MU ready to build a team around a pure finisher like Greenwood, perhaps not(yet). As on other aspects of his game for the team, there is very little evidence, IMO even counter productive. during Ole era. I blame the management team for not developing his other aspects of game. Shooting may be what he is good at, and what he enjoys, and what he focus on training. But you must learn other aspects of game, team work, to be a team player.
I don't agree, I think he has shown more in the last year than just his finishing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His allround game is very good, he is far from just finisher.

Hammondo

I don't agree, I think he has shown more in the last year than just his finishing.
He has but I feel he hasn't been coached to use it fully or develop. I think with new management we will see a more balanced and better version of him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Tier 1 - Mbappe, Haaland
Greenwood is already better player than Rashford, swap those two and I'm fine with that list.

van Nistelrooy

Comparing him to Rashford levels is quite an insult to Greenwood. He's already ahead of him at a younger age.

I feel the troubles he faced with England hampered him early last season, but if he's playing regular for United and is to be mouled by Ralf with the talent around him, he can become an all-time great. Needs to work on his physicality and perhaps experience playing up top with Ronaldo in that front two.

BuzzKillington

One of the best young talents in world football. Probably only firmly behind Haaland and Mbappe. I'd place him on the same level as the likes of Musiala and Pedri. Ralf's comments on improving his physical game makes it sound like he wants him to improve his pressing and stamina (which I totally agree with, this side of his game is poor). I'm assuming this because he's already extremely fast. He might also be referring to him buffing up and getting stronger which I don't necessarily agree with as much, I feel like in the position Greenwood plays, speed is more important, especially since Rangnick says he sees him as more of a 9 and a half. Due to his height he's never going to be much of an aerial threat, no matter how much he works on it. He should go on to be a top player. Hope he gets more game time up front.
If you’ve seen any 100m sprinters, you’d probably agree that being buff isn’t an impediment to speed. It usually increases it, but at the cost of stamina. I don’t think Mason needs to build himself up to the levels of Depay or that walking pituitary gland that plays for Wolves, but a bit of extra muscle would do him the world of good.

Last edited:

Kellyiom

Seems Rangnick is not impressed by him, thats nice to see. I was tired of Ole praising every player, of course maybe in was different behind doors but I think the type of comments like "he needs to build his athleticism to be a regular player" is a nice indication that Rangnick wants Greenwood to work harder to make himself an starter.

I think new coaching is going to do wonders for him.
That's my view on him really and obviously I'm very proud we have him and nurtured a talent like that.

If we're going to literally be the best though, the mental aspect of performance has to be there, the perfect game never happens, there's always something to do better.

His England off-field excursion was a bit of an eye opener for me, not really because of what lads get up to (!) but being seemingly blasé about it and caught out so easily.

So, I think we could well have a generational talent here, but need to keep him genuinely happy in a successful team structure. If we do that, he will achieve everything he wants.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
I’d think his baseline is at the very least similar to Rashford’s. Different type of players, but similar in quality. Where Rashford has over him is sustained performances, which I don’t think it’s something that Greenwood can’t match.

In terms of ceiling, I’d say that Greenwood has the world at his feet. It really depends how he develops over the next few years. He could reach or even exceed Mbappe’s level, or he could end up as a good player but not elite, which is no knock on him either.
Sustained performances?! By Rashford?! When???

UDontMessWith24

Nearly spit my coffee out reading that. Which player have you been watching?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sorry this is a awful post.