Where do you rank Mason Greenwood as a talent?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
In the season that Rooney finished as an 17 year old, he scored 8 goals in 37 games; and in the season he finished as an 18 year old, he scored 9 goals in 40 matches.

In the season Greenwood finished as a 17 year old, he scored 0 goals in 4 games; and in the season he's going to finish as an 18 year old, he's scored 15 goals in 41 matches so far.

So, at the same stages of their career, Rooney was at 17 goals in 77 matches whereas Greenwood is at 15 goals in 45 matches.

If Greenwood scores 3 more before the end of the season (and he will) he'll have overtaken Rooney for his club goal scoring record.
In terms of pure goalscoring, Mason is obviously ahead. But Rooney had so much more to his game, even as a teenager.

RUCK4444

The best talent I’ve seen come out of our academy in my lifetime, which includes the Class of 92.
Absolutely incredible talent at 18 y/o.
Wow that’s some praise. The 92 lads come through in my lifetime but I was very young at the time so hard to judge.

Would you say Mason was more impressive than Giggs?

Im edging towards him being the best in my lifetime from our own academy.

Its hard to put him above Rooney though. I need to look at the stats but Rooney played like a top level 28 year old when he was 17, physical monster.

So happy to see Mason progress here.

I mentioned in another thread, he is breaking through right now and we may not be able to shunt him out on the right especially if Sancho does come.
We cannot allow this kids progression to stall, he needs to play a lot of first team football imo.

Rooney24

He’s unbelievable. Today was ridiculous.

The most excited I have been about a United young talent since we bought Ronaldo (and I saw his debut).

Greenwood has it all IMO and seems to have the character to handle it all as well. Doesn’t seem one to get big headed

if we handle him right we absolutely have one of the best footballers in the world on our hands

Wow that’s some praise. The 92 lads come through in my lifetime but I was very young at the time so hard to judge.

Would you say Mason was more impressive than Giggs?

Im edging towards him being the best in my lifetime from our own academy.

Its hard to put him above Rooney though. I need to look at the stats but Rooney players like a top level 28 year old when he was 17, physical monster.

So happy to see Mason progress here.

I mentioned in another thread, he is breaking through right now and we may not be able to shunt him out on the right especially if Sancho does come.
We cannot allow this kids progression to stall, he needs to play a lot of first team football imo.
Hard to say with Rooney as I didn’t watch 90 mins week in week out of Everton, but he was very very special in Euro 2004 aged 18. It was similar to the level of Mbappe so only the very very best reach that kind of mature performance in a tournament so young.
That said, Rooney’s second season he scored 9 in 40 for Everton, Mason already has 15 in 41. That alone tells you what a talent he is.

Giggs obviously comes closest and you knew pretty early on that Giggs was gonna be a top winger, but it’s the outrageous goalscoring of Greenwood and his all round game that are just mindblowing. How do you stop a guy when he finishes just as well with either foot, I’m sure the Bournemouth LB thought showing him onto his right was a good move :lol:

Last edited:

Rooney24

We probably shouldn’t just compare goals. But.....

Mason has 15 in his first 45 apps
Rooney had 17 in 67

mav_9me

As gifted and exciting a boy he is, have to strongly disagree. Rooney that age was something else.
I'm not sure how anyone who saw Rooney at that age play regularly can have that opinion. He was ridiculous. Possibly the most mature teenager I've ever seen as a footballer. Maybe because Rooney never quite reached the heights he should have been capable of people have a blinkered view of him now as a teenager but he was incredible. Greenwood looks amazing too but Rooney as an overall footballer was still streets ahead. No doubt Mason is a much better finisher than Rooney was, though.
I think people forget the teenage Rooney as pretty soon Ronaldo took off and Rooney never really went on to be what I thought would be a 20G and 20A player like Henry. He has obviously done exceptional but the expectations were even higher.

He doesn't have a weaker foot. Watch him in the academy games taking free kicks and penalties with either foot.
I agree with that. The left maybe fractionally stronger but we are talking fractions cuz how do you say his right is weaker when he is scoring long range free kick curlers with his right foot?

For those comparing him to RVN, RVN was the best finisher of chances probably ever. RVN rarely scored these kind of belters from far like Mason. Greenwoods goals have been all upto him. He is not finishing chances. He is scoring half to quarter chances.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hope we can get into both FA and Europa finals. For obvious reasons but also to see how Greenwood does in one off high pressure games.

Also need to see how he does against elite PL/CL defences and in international football, so plenty of hurdles for him to overcome. Its temting to want all of it now, but he has to be allowed at least 2 more years to play without too much expectation so he can carry on his natural development curve. He is lucky to be at a club who will also hope to improve at a similar rate over that period, rather than requiring 90points per season form right now.

Greenwood is also very lucky to have Solskjaer as his manager, given their previous relationship, Ole's peerless knowledge of being a striker and as a manager who wants to develop young players. Cant think of a better situation for him; eg it's not the same fit for him at City or Liverpool right now.

ROFLUTION

Imagine if he fulfills hos potential and keeps doing this. We could have a peak Van Persie on our hands for 10-15 years :eek: :eek:

Davie Moyes

Fantastic, explosive finisher. Scores goals that are quite unique and different in style then anyone I've ever seen before.

Rooney was a better all round player, even a playmaker and a force of nature (remember when he was referred to as white Pele and Baby Elephant). At 18 he dominated the Euros.

Whilst I've would rate Rooney and Giggs coming through ahead of him, it's the goal scoring and finishing that really excites me with Mason (as its the hardest thing to do in football). Even Ole said today he's one of the best if not the best finishers he's ever seen. I don't think you can get higher praise than that!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'm not sure how anyone who saw Rooney at that age play regularly can have that opinion. He was ridiculous. Possibly the most mature teenager I've ever seen as a footballer. Maybe because Rooney never quite reached the heights he should have been capable of people have a blinkered view of him now as a teenager but he was incredible. Greenwood looks amazing too but Rooney as an overall footballer was still streets ahead. No doubt Mason is a much better finisher than Rooney was, though.
You’re spot on. Rooney was ridiculous at that age. Team already being built around him. No slight on Greenwood at all. Rooney was just more physically developed and was aggressive and confident from the first game he played. Greenwood is a phenomenal talent all that said. I actually think Rooney turned into a much better team player than could’ve been predicted.

Definitely. Rooney was a force of nature. It’s sad that his memory has been tarnished by his last few years here. Young Rooney was something else.
I don’t see the tarnishing tbh, but I understand it’s a generally accepted analysis of his career.

Do we expect him to make a career as CF or as RF?

His finishing would suggest CF, but on the other hand even playing on the wing, he doesnt seem to struggle for opportunities.
His approach play, dribbling at opponents and his ability to use both feet see him as an ideal inside forward IMO. I wouldn’t want him playing with his back to goal so much, it would limit him. But he could go either way. Depends on the system.

He also has a fantastic eye for a pass and a great final ball, as we saw for his perfectly weighted cross to Bruno last week. It’s also underrated how hard he works and how good his defensive contribution is.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You’re spot on. Rooney was ridiculous at that age. Team already being built around him. No slight on Greenwood at all. Rooney was just more physically developed and was aggressive and confident from the first game he played. Greenwood is a phenomenal talent all that said. I actually think Rooney turned into a much better team player than could’ve been predicted.

I don’t see the tarnishing tbh, but I understand it’s a generally accepted analysis of his career.

His approach play, dribbling at opponents and his ability to use both feet see him as an ideal inside forward IMO. I wouldn’t want him playing with his back to goal so much, it would limit him. But he could go either way. Depends on the system.

He also has a fantastic eye for a pass and a great final ball, as we saw for his perfectly weighted cross to Bruno last week. It’s also underrated how hard he works and how good his defensive contribution is.
It’s not been tarnished in my eyes, but I read a lot of underrating of Rooney on here and I can imagine the roots of it are found in his last few years here. That shouldn’t be the case, but have read it enough times to believe it has hit his legacy with some fans.

RUCK4444

Hard to say with Rooney as I didn’t watch 90 mins week in week out of Everton, but he was very very special in Euro 2004 aged 18. It was similar to the level of Mbappe so only the very very best reach that kind of mature performance in a tournament so young.
That said, Rooney’s second season he scored 9 in 40 for Everton, Mason already has 15 in 41. That alone tells you what a talent he is.

Giggs obviously comes closest and you knew pretty early on that Giggs was gonna be a top winger, but it’s the outrageous goalscoring of Greenwood and his all round game that are just mindblowing. How do you stop a guy when he finishes just as well with either foot, I’m sure the Bournemouth LB thought showing him onto his right was a good move :lol:
Yeah I think Giggs was one of the first super talented kids that everybody just knew was going to kick on and have a great career.

I would say Giggs team play and influence within the team may have been marginally better thinking back but Greenwood’s finishing is frighteningly good.

Yeah I bet defenders are going to be second guessing which side to push him onto in every game.:lol:
Beauty of this as well is that as he progresses players are going to double up on him leaving more space for others.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think comparing him with Rooney is incorrect. Rooney was probably more rounded at this age as he had the physical edge to his game and hence could be relied on more often in 1st team games.
However, I'd prefer Mason's career path. At this age, a player should be focusing on advancing on the technical attributes, physical attributes can come in later on as the player gets more experienced. And technically, I don't think Rooney was as good as Mason is not just at this age but even if I compare the 21 year old version of him.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
I think SAF did. But yeah, but us fans.
SAF said if he knew what a great player Ronaldo would go on to become, he would have demanded a much higher transfer fee.
Unless you are talking about the levels he reached at United. Then yes, he might have known.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s not been tarnished in my eyes, but I read a lot of underrating of Rooney on here and I can imagine the roots of it are found in his last few years here. That shouldn’t be the case, but have read it enough times to believe it has hit his legacy with some fans.
Not getting into his latter years, as that’s irrelevant to this discussion but in his first year at United (same age as Greenwood now) Rooney averaged a goal every three games. Playing centrally, starting whenever fit.

I remember that season well. He would have hot streaks, scoring every game, then long spells where he’d look like he couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo. But nobody ever criticised him, because he was such a tremendous prospect and always put a shift in, even when playing poorly.

Right now, Greenwood looks more polished than Rooney did at the same age. And I don’t think saying that is a slight on Rooney. Because Greenwood is - in my opinion - well capable of becoming a better striker.

Green_Red

He excites me as much as Rooney and Ronaldo excited me when they first came to United. He’s going to be great for us.
At his age, best I’ve seen since Giggs or Rooney and better than Ronaldo in his first season with us
Usually I'd try to be a bit level headed but 100% agree with both of you. Unreal for his age. He plays like he has been playing professionally for 10 years. Pure quality. Steve Howson on full time devils the first person I heard mention him about 2 years ago. He wasn't wrong.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Not getting into his latter years, as that’s irrelevant to this discussion but in his first year at United (same age as Greenwood now) Rooney averaged a goal every three games. Playing centrally, starting whenever fit.

I remember that season well. He would have hot streaks, scoring every game, then long spells where he’d look like he couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo. But nobody ever criticised him, because he was such a tremendous prospect and always put a shift in, even when playing poorly.

Right now, Greenwood looks more polished than Rooney did at the same age. And I don’t think saying that is a slight on Rooney. Because Greenwood is - in my opinion - well capable of becoming a better striker.
That is probably true, but Rooney had that explosion and energy. He was so exciting. He was exceptional in his own way.

They are probably too different to compare, but Greenwood does look uniquely special. It’s been a long time since we have seen someone with so much ability look so clinical.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
How would people compare Greenwood to Raheem Sterling?

We might not like the clubs that guy played for, but I feel Sterling was such an extremely unique talent as a teenager. His natural dribbling ability, I can't really think of anyone who had more talent for dribbling at such a young age other than Messi - of course Sterling had weaknesses in other areas but his talent was so obvious.

Very similar to how I can't remember many players who had such a unique finishing ability as Greenwood has at this age - of course Greenwood isn't the finished product yet, particularly from a physical POV you feel there's room for improvement.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I have perhaps a weird comparison, but I'd rate him somewhere around Becks, it's just that Mason is mostly focused on goalscoring. He has the same machine-like accuracy, power and decision-making – even though I don't see him becoming a GOAT contender, at least yet (I mean the feeling that you've got from watching Luis Ronaldo, young Messi or Rooney even). I'd be happy to be proven wrong :)

I hope that he gets to RvP level (an obvious comparison due to their playing style similarities), and stays at the peak for a longer period. I'd me more than happy with that!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I think Rooney was a better all-round footballer - the guy was so fully-formed at such a young age, which partly explains why he didn't seem to progress that much, as he had everything right out of the blocks.

Greenwood is definitely the better finisher though. Wayne could be very erratic, somewhere between thumping, unexpected brilliance or surprisingly wasteful, whereas Mason is innately clinical.

The fact that he's being favourably compared to our all-time record goal scorer is seriously exciting in itself.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He reminds me of Rivaldo. Not saying he will be as good as him but he seems to have that cheekiness to him and a shot which is capable of any type of finish not to mention he’s a top set piece taker. Awkward gait with wonderful step overs and deceptive pace.

He looks like he could get to the second or third tier. He lacks a few things to ever join Messi, Maradona, R9 etc. at the top, but with a perfect career he could get to Rooney's level or even a little better.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
How does his shots to goals ratio compare to rashers, martial and other PL forwards?
I was looking for that earlier and could only find minutes per goal, which is still a great stat.
It seems to me that his shooting is very deadly but the numbers will tell.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think Rooney was a better all-round footballer - the guy was so fully-formed at such a young age, which partly explains why he didn't seem to progress that much, as he had everything right out of the blocks.

Greenwood is definitely the better finisher though. Wayne could be very erratic, somewhere between thumping, unexpected brilliance or surprisingly wasteful, whereas Mason is innately clinical.

The fact that he's being favourably compared to our all-time record goal scorer is seriously exciting in itself.
Agree with this, I think purely as a scorer he's superior to Rooney at the same age, and he will end up with more goals in his career if all goes well. It's the rest of his game where he's behind but if he moves his way to #9 down his career he's going to smash some records.

Neo_Mufc

He's been a breath of fresh air since the restart.

With Rashford out and having to rely on Martial, we now have an added dimension to our strike force that makes you not worry.

I really hope he goes on to start every game next season.

gajender

Best thing about Greenwood for me currently is he is so economical in everything he does on the field mostly makes the right decision on the ball comes alive whenever he is near the goal .
It seems he is playing within himself and still doing so good imagine once he unleashes his complete arsenal on the field how scary it would be for the opposition.

Marcelinho87

Best footballer under the age of 20 worldwide for me.

Nobody comes close to his finishing, so natural.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He'll be better than RVP in my mind, I just think he has something that someone like RVP didnt have until their prime - lingering around already at 18 years old.

I dont want to over hype the lad but that's a great starting point to be at and from then on its really up to him how he wants to play, which positions he wants to play in and what he wants to achieve in football.