Where do you stand on re-signing players that have failed?

Revaulx

Ah MaxNL or something like that, I remember reading his posts and literally drooling over the prospect of Depay becoming our new Ronaldo. It was after a year under Moyesieball and Memphis had a good world cup, as did LVG... future sure did look bright at the time
NLMax! Thank you; I wouldn’t have slept tonight trying to remember :)

RC89

I don't think I have a firm stance on it, rather case by case. In the case of Depay I'd say no. He did well in Dutch league, struggled here and then did well in French league. Maybe that's roughly his level because he didn't impress me much other than a handful of games.

Someone

Something
I don't think there should be a general rule to follow here. Each case should be looked at separately. A lot of young players won't be able to have a full chance here, so nothing wrong with them returning after proving themselves.

OverratedOpinion

I don't look at it any different to any other player.

I wouldn't have signed Fernandes based on his stint in Italy but he went to another level as a player at Sporting. If someone does that after an initial stint at Utd that's fine.

Stig

Having seen Rashford and Martial at their worst, there were definitely times when I thought I would have Wilf, as Ian Wright calls him, Zaha back from Crystal Palace although he is no world beater, he would have added more than those two were doing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, it’s a good point.

Can anyone remember examples of players who have done this? Failed and then come back and been a success.

Matic for Chelsea? I can’t remember if he went on loan though or was sold.
Matic wasn’t really a a failure as such in his first spell. Just some kid we scouted and never gave a real chance to because we had Mikel. He blossomed almost as soon as we let him go.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It has to be a case by case thing surely? I’m sure Chelsea would taken back Salah at any point in the last 5 years for example. You’re not really looking at how good or bad they were at your club. You’re just assessing them as you would any potential signing - how good are they now and how well do they fit into the team now.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If they clearly improved by leaps and bounds, why not.
In regards to depay well, he didn't so no.

Tarrou

I don’t believe the Depay rumours

but if we’re desperate and he was cheap, it would be better than nothing

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It doesn't happen that often...most of the players we have resigned in our history haven't been failed in the first instance so buying them back made sense.

Even Pogba wasn't a failure in his first spell...Ferguson just wouldn't guarantee him playing time and Pogba (his agents) refused to sign the contract he was offered.

So basically, the discussion is around Depay who is the only real player the media are suggesting we are interested in who had an underwhelming career for us.

lex talionis

The answer is that it depends on the circumstances. A footballer can go through a bad patch, be sold and become great. In such a case, a great player being available to fill a need and at the right price, a deal is there to be had.

DanielofLeyland

I guess it depends on how you define failure. If it's a young player leaving, maturing and then returning then I don't think they were really a failure to begin with.

If a player is at an age where they aren't a youngster and leave because they aren't good enough to get into the first team then it has to be done on a case by case basis and it depends on their role in the first team.

If United signed a player like Antony and brought in Depay as backup then, as long as he wasn't on mega money, I don't think anybody would be averse to that. However, he hasn't turned into a Salah or Haaland so shouldn't be leading the line.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Failures should NEVER be re-hired.
Players like Blind or Depay simply aren't good enough to play for a top team in the EPL and although we are not a top team, we are aspiring to become one.
Hence, failed players should be left in the past.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I have no problem with it in principal, players get better, situations change etc, but obviously depends on the player.

I would be adamantly against bringing Depay back for example as I just don't think he is good enough

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
If Chelsea had re-signed Salah and KdB then they have won much more than they have. Romeu shouldn’t have been sold either and got no opportunity at the club.

That said they brought back Lukaku and have been trying to get Ake again..

Remind me why everyone raves about how well run they are?!

bringbackbebe

A relevant question will be "why did the player fail?". Is it because of the system we played that did not accommodate him, or was it due to lack of effort or poor attitude? If former and we have changed our style of play since, sure, it's worth taking a punt. Players like Diego Forlan who did not do well for us have gone on to have really successful careers with other clubs and at national level. Also Bebe.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nothing against them, depending on their development and our needs since their first departure. I wouldn't be too keen on Depay unless it's as a last minute replacement/need for depth, relatively cheap signing, decent wages (not extortionate/overpaying) and he comes with the expectations of being a backup/fight his way into the team.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Ah MaxNL or something like that, I remember reading his posts and literally drooling over the prospect of Depay becoming our new Ronaldo. It was after a year under Moyesieball and Memphis had a good world cup, as did LVG... future sure did look bright at the time
We signed Depay the year after.

Jordicruyfffanclub

Sometimes a player just isn't cut out to be a United player despite performing well at another sometimes smaller) club.
Whenever we were linked with re-signing Zaha, I always thought no.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
no. once you leave united and play for someone else, you’re dead to me. i don’t even like players coming back to us after international breaks.
Well said!

I don't even like the players coming back after half time!

If they arent good enough to win a game in the first half they should be nowehere near a club like ours!.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You certainly shouldn't re-sign players that have failed at your club and then have continued to fail since.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Well said!

I don't even like the players coming back after half time!

If they arent good enough to win a game in the first half they should be nowehere near a club like ours!.
preach. leave the pitch to take a throw on? get the hell out of my club.

GoldanoGraham

Just like with an old flame that took a while to get rid of - because she’s got a new hairdo and lost a bit of weight - the same shit that pissed you off first time around will come back to haunt you again.

Never go back over old ground. Never

Gums

Although I’m sure some could work out in a different system or under a different manager, generally, I’d say once they’re crap, never go back.

Adding an exception right away — desperate times call for desperate measures (and hopes). I hope that Martial will thrive in this new setting.