Where does Ancelotti rank among all time great managers?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think there is such a thing as the best manager ever. There's too many different ways to be a great manager.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Loyalties aside, is Ancelotti the best manager ever?

The first and ONLY manager to have won league titles in all the top leagues.

Most champions league wins as a manger - 4.

Most champions league finals as manager - 5.

23 major titles as a manager.

I mean, if SAF had those records, we wouldn’t even hesitate to claim SAF is the best ever.

Love SAF obviously and this is in no way being disrespectful to Sir Alex, but I think Don Carlo is the best manager ever.
He did pick mostly best teams in their domestic leagues at the moment to manage, and I am sure his domestic league record isn't the best(altough winning it in 5 different leagues is great argument), but he is definitely among the best ever.

I would say so far easily better than Mourinho and Pep, altough they have time on their side to surpass him tbf.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No chance. Zidane has 3 CLs and isn’t in the conversation. Dropping into clubs with fantastic resources is a skill in itself, but rebuilding winning sides and continuing success when you don’t always have the guarantee of quality and resources is much more impressive.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Based on CL wins, Carlo > Zidane > SAF
Zidane.. undoubtedly his achievements at Madrid are impressive but I would only consider him top tier if he went to a shambolic club like PSG and made them a serious threat/CL winners. His Madrid team was seriously strong but I don’t really see what he added to take it to the next level, like a Mourinho elevating Chelsea and Inter or Pep elevating Barcelona and City. Until he shows that he is living off the achievements of his team in my opinion.

frostbite

He did pick mostly best teams in their domestic leagues at the moment to manage, and I am sure his domestic league record isn't the best(altough winning it in 5 different leagues is great argument), but he is definitely among the best ever.

I would say so far easily better than Mourinho and Pep, altough they have time on their side to surpass him tbf.
He did not pick the best teams, the best teams picked him. It is a huge difference. And the best teams picked him because he has a history of winning.

For example, if Poch had won the CL, then Real would want him as manager, but he didn't. Every manager wants to manage Real but...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Worth noting that Ancelotti did turn milan back into winners. They'd been free-falling before hiring him. In his first full season he won the CL and from there they went to 3 CL finals in 5 years, winning 2. After that of course he'd only move to other top sides.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don’t really see what he added to take it to the next level, like a Mourinho elevating Chelsea and Inter or Pep elevating Barcelona and City.
Zidane did far more with Real than Pep did with City, it's not even comparable.

DeGea

Worth noting that Ancelotti did turn milan back into winners. They'd been free-falling before hiring him. In his first full season he won the CL and from there they went to 3 CL finals in 5 years, winning 2. After that of course he'd only move to other top sides.
This. People forget about how Milan were struggling a bit at the time. Had not won the league for 2 years finishing 3rd and 6th. He came and played the diamond, changed Pirlo from a CAM to one of the best deep lying midfield playmakers of all time, and took the team to 4th, and won the Champions League the following season, and the Scudetto after that.

Then had to adapt again when Shevchenko left in 2006/7, and played the Christmas tree formation 4-3-2-1 and won the Champions League again in 2007.

Went to Chelsea, won the Premier League and FA Cup in his first season, >100 goals in a season for the first time ever in the Premier League. In a league with legendary managers like SAF. Chelsea's first domestic double as well.

I would put him on par with Sir Alex. If he had taken over immediately after SAF left, we would have still been challenging for the title the following couple of seasons I think.