Where does Pogba fit in?

Redpimp

We always have room for a good player. And Pogba is surely good enough! We need him AND Bruno. Its not one or another. I hope he stays and we can get Sancho and Grealish in the summer.

Maticmaker

Bringing Pogba back sends the wrong message to we’re trying build. He might 6 foot 4 inches but Pogba is mentally a midget.

No player should be able to waltz back in the side after all his off pitch drama. Him and his obese agent thought they would walk all over us, but now realise that he’s not perceived by other top clubs as good as he thinks he is.

I want him out and replaced with players that genuinely want to play for Man Utd.
This says it all, he didn't want to play for us when SAF was here, and he's come back and failed to take on the mantle of star player that we needed, he's caused havoc with his will he or won't he stay saga, via his agent ,and quite possibly upset players at the club who earn less than a third of what he does.

Yes, Paul is capable of being a great player, but only when he wants to be, and under his own terms. IMO Ole/Woodward would be unwise to let him back in, but I'm very much afraid they will, the temptation to believe they can turn him around will be too great. I would give him a chance, but only if he drops his agent to show good faith!

jamesjimmybyrondean

Better teams with better midfields have managed to accommodate this terrible Pogba in expense of better players than the ones we will leave out. I feel if it was worth the risk for them then it is for us. Our balanced double pivot does not compete with France or Juve midfield or Real or anyone else who wants him. Basically United fans think he isnt good enough for United but he is wanted for Real and Juve? Makes sense....
Nobody is saying he isn't good enough. He's our best player or one of. The issue is he can't fit into our team right now with us sacrificing balance in midfield. Bruno Fred and Matic is probably not as good as Juve or City's midfield but it is balanced. Replace Matic with a better DM and it's on paper one of the best midfield in the league while being very balanced. That said, I'm excited to see Pogba Fred and Bruno trio. I feel it could work if our beloved Pogba puts in a shift

Reactions: Sultan

Strelok

Funny how many people here don't want Pogba to unbalance a balanced midfield but in the Grealish thread some are suggesting benching Fred and getting a DM to play with Bruno and Grealish or playing Grealish Bruno and Fred.

I mean it's pretty clear right now what we need for a complete midfield is a DM. Bruno Fred and Matic trio is a balanced midfield and has led us to be solid defensive and attacking wise. But Matic is the weakest link there as he is getting old and would need replacing. Replace Matic with a DM not with Pogba or Grealish and the midfield is complete and balanced. In my opinion, Pogba should be sold to add funds to our rebuild and we should get Grealish as a solid rotational option given his versatility
Agree, after the signing of Bruno we don't need Grealish or Maddison any more. Only in case Pogba leaving in the summer and we'd need more squad depth.

What we really need for the next season is a RW and a DM. World class ones if possible please.

Bestietom

This says it all, he didn't want to play for us when SAF was here, and he's come back and failed to take on the mantle of star player that we needed, he's caused havoc with his will he or won't he stay saga, via his agent ,and quite possibly upset players at the club who earn less than a third of what he does.

Yes, Paul is capable of being a great player, but only when he wants to be, and under his own terms. IMO Ole/Woodward would be unwise to let him back in, but I'm very much afraid they will, the temptation to believe they can turn him around will be too great. I would give him a chance, but only if he drops his agent to show good faith!
I agree, Instead of letting this circus carry on, he should have come out before the media and said that he wants to play for this club. If he really wanted to put a stop to all this, he should have played his part in it. We pay him top wages but his agent and brother have made this club a laughing stock and he could have stopped it, IF he really wanted to.

Last edited:

Stacks

Those better teams had better defences too, so they didn't need as much shielding.

He's not wanted by Real and Juve though. Not realistically. Neither of those are going to put the bid in that would be required to move him. That should tell you a lot.

Edit: It's not that he's not good enough. It's that he doesn't care enough to be good enough as often as he wants, and doesn't have the mentality to dig in often enough, when the going is tough for a team in transition.
Not France. Their defence is standard.

Transfer news suggest he is being monitored by a host of top clubs.

this was mainly due to the fact he was surrounded by hapless teammates who he could not connect with. As his agent mentioned, he would like to stay and win trophies with us but was maybe disillusioned by teaming up with Pereira, Lingard and co. you see how he links nicely with Martial?
Yes this is an issue with his attitude but he has been here 4 years nearly, with low quality players. Clearly he will up his game with more players on his wavelength. we finally have players who can help him excel and you lot want rid? like you guys have learned nothing. If arsenal were to sign Kroos and Thiago it would be a good idea to start playing Ozil, not to sell him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I know it's Newcastle but we were very dominant here with Lingard Pogba and Fred trio. The midfield may not be as balanced as Bruno Fred and Matic but given we dominate possession against most teams outside top 6 I think a Bruno Pogba and Fred midfield could work

fps

Pogba will reach full fitness just as the premier league is cancelled.

hmchan

Please get the fact straight before presenting it. Pogba very much did want to play for us when Fergie was here, and he even asked for first team chances. He just left as he was too desperate to play. Fergie promised to play him but he decided to recall Scholes from retirement and start players unfamiliar in that position instead of the promising youngster. It's fair for him to leave to say the least.

I agree, Instead of letting this circus carry on, he should have come out before the media and said that he wants to play for this club. If he really wanted to put a stop to all this, he should have played his part in it. We pay him top wages but his agent and brother have made this club a laughing stock and he could have stopped it, IF he really wanted to.
What's the whole point of this? Does every player have to come out and declare he wants to play for the club every week? Herrera always said he loved United blah blah blah, which earned him plenty of fans btw, but he chose money over us in the end. As a player, especially with the class of Pogba, it is understandable to keep his options open, de Gea did speak much after his saga either a few years ago. For me, I don't think Pogba particularly wants to play for us, neither for Real Madrid nor PSG. He just wants to play in a winning team with teammates of similar level. As long as he gives his all on the pitch, I don't see a reason why we want him gone.

As for his best position and role, I have explained a lot starting from #299 and I'm not repeating myself.

Mainoldo

Bruno or Maguire won't put up with his antics with his hands in the air and not tracking back. They will absolutely slate him.

People say he should be first name on the team sheet but what has he done the last few years? Sulk.

Pogba on his day is one of the best in the World but his attitude absolutely stinks thinking he is better than everyone around him and can become quite lazy.

If it comes down to keeping Pogba or singing Jordan Sancho I would say cash in and get Sancho.

Left with Bruno, Fred, Scott, Matic and probably Grealish in midfield when Villa go down. One more smart midfield singing needed as well.

Why his attitude is so bad I'll never know. I'd say there's allready an agreement with PSG or Madrid.
:lol: Yeah I’m sure Pogba’s worried what Bruno and Maguire won’t be putting up with. People seem to forget the only time he plays with inferior players is with us. You think the French World Cup winners don’t have standards?

hobbers

Fits in by getting sold and covering some of Sancho and/or Grealish’s transfer fees.

izzydiggler

Club has moved on comments ae premature. As long as pogba gets fit. He will earn his place in the Xi with in 2 performances. It's like people constantly get collective amnesia about how good he is when he hasn't played in a while.
...or seemingly how poor he can be and how often he goes missing.

At his best, I don’t think anyone would argue he isn't the first name on our team sheet but even taking away all the off-field discussions, his average performances aren’t befitting of someone continually labelled ‘world class’. Great ceiling, awful floor and mostly middling performances with a splash of magic.

It‘s not that people have forgotten, it’s that despite all the excuses different formations, positions, team mates , acolytes defending him etc etc, we have years of evidence to make ‘our’ minds up.

dirkey

Not France. Their defence is standard.

Transfer news suggest he is being monitored by a host of top clubs.

this was mainly due to the fact he was surrounded by hapless teammates who he could not connect with. As his agent mentioned, he would like to stay and win trophies with us but was maybe disillusioned by teaming up with Pereira, Lingard and co. you see how he links nicely with Martial?
Yes this is an issue with his attitude but he has been here 4 years nearly, with low quality players. Clearly he will up his game with more players on his wavelength. we finally have players who can help him excel and you lot want rid? like you guys have learned nothing. If arsenal were to sign Kroos and Thiago it would be a good idea to start playing Ozil, not to sell him.
We'll agree to differ. My issue is that, we've seen his character. If things aren't to his liking he bolts or tries to engineer a way out. Is that what I want on some December evening in a dogfight against Everton or the likes? No. He's a fair weather footballer.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Fits in by getting sold and covering some of Sancho and/or Grealish’s transfer fees.
If we're getting Sancho then we should be ready to have a big summer budget. Sancho alone will cost close to the 200m we've spent since Ole came. If will sell Pogba for say 100m, we use the money to get a DM and Grealish. The money spent on Sancho should be from our transfer budget and it shouldn't be less than 200m since Sancho will cost around 120-150.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
...or seemingly how poor he can be and how often he goes missing.

At his best, I don’t think anyone would argue he isn't the first name on our team sheet but even taking away all the off-field discussions, his average performances aren’t befitting of someone continually labelled ‘world class’. Great ceiling, awful floor and mostly middling performances with a splash of magic.

It‘s not that people have forgotten, it’s that despite all the excuses different formations, positions, team mates , acolytes defending him etc etc, we have years of evidence to make ‘our’ minds up.
No. Y'all just forget like chicken. Do much so that even when he plays well people on here come to tell is how he has been amblinng and awful.

Stacks

We'll agree to differ. My issue is that, we've seen his character. If things aren't to his liking he bolts or tries to engineer a way out. Is that what I want on some December evening in a dogfight against Everton or the likes? No. He's a fair weather footballer.
Like Rooney tried? Many top footballers would prefer to not spend their best years at a mid table club with sub standard players, especially if they were sold a dream.
Why would he be at a club in a dogfight with Everton when he can play at a higher level? there are virtually no players of his ability and career achievements that played at a team of the level we have been at recently.
Obviously if we become a strong team that can compete for trophies then he will be happy to stay and contribute. I'd expect nothing less from a top player.

NoPace

Seems easy enough with Rashford out:

Use Pogba-Fred-Bruno as a midfield 3 against poor teams and against tougher teams start one of McTominay or Matic at Dm and move one of Pogba or Bruno out wide with license to roam and James on the other wing providing proper width so we're not too narrow.

James Ward

:lol: Yeah I’m sure Pogba’s worried what Bruno and Maguire won’t be putting up with. People seem to forget the only time he plays with inferior players is with us. You think the French World Cup winners don’t have standards?
If you have watched France play he puts in 100% and not the antics he does with United. Half the time he doesn't bother his hole with United.

Thinks he is better than everyone. If he doesn't want to stay he can feck off.

Bruno has the right mentality for United, Pogba doesn't.

Last edited:

devips

For some fanboys here, Pogba seems to be bigger than United. He is not. He is just another player. If he wants to stay, let him stay and play. If he wants to leave, show him the door. This fanboy hero-worshipping is getting on my nerves.

Mainoldo

For some fanboys here, Pogba seems to be bigger than United. He is not. He is just another player. If he wants to stay, let him stay and play. If he wants to leave, show him the door. This fanboy hero-worshipping is getting on my nerves.
Well maybe stop creating the narrative in your head. I’ve never met a United fan who loves a player more than the club.

Mainoldo

If you have watched France play he puts in 100% and not the antics he does with United. Half the time he doesn't bother his hole with United.

Thinks he is better than everyone. If he doesn't want to stay he can feck off.

Bruno has the right mentality for United, Pogba doesn't.
What antics? Is he dancing and cutting his hair on the pitch?!

Bobski

Pogba's time with France is an interesting case. People talk about him being this all conquering force for France but for much of his career that was not true. Often seems to be forgotten that leading up to the last WC there were many of the same questions about his best role, his inconsistency, his fit with other players( and this from inside the French camp rather than British paper talk). There was even a suggestion that he would not be in the starting 11 for that tournament.

Pogba in that tournament played with a concentration, discipline and focus we have never seem from him at club level, at least not sustained over a period of time. He adapted his game to fit the needs of the team, as if he had fully matured and understood it was not just about great moments.

dirkey

Like Rooney tried? Many top footballers would prefer to not spend their best years at a mid table club with sub standard players, especially if they were sold a dream.
Why would he be at a club in a dogfight with Everton when he can play at a higher level? there are virtually no players of his ability and career achievements that played at a team of the level we have been at recently.
Obviously if we become a strong team that can compete for trophies then he will be happy to stay and contribute. I'd expect nothing less from a top player.
Rooney used fight for everything when he was on the pitch at least. We've never seen that from Pogba.

Even when we were winning titles we would have dogfights at places like Everton, so it's asinine to claim playing at a higher level has anything to do with that.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I can only judge a player as being worthy of the shirt when he has given his all over the course of a season, against good and bad teams, fulfilling the role he has been asked to play, supporting his team mates in good and bad times, being available most weeks. Pogba fails on every count and worse still is a disruptive influence. Tell Raiola to take him away. PLEASE
And then tell him to take himself away from our club.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Club has moved on comments ae premature. As long as pogba gets fit. He will earn his place in the Xi with in 2 performances. It's like people constantly get collective amnesia about how good he is when he hasn't played in a while.
Not really. These same debates were constantly going on when he was fit, due to his tendency to put in bad performances (and I say bad...when he was bad he was fecking embarrassing at times). As well as his tendency to be petulant towards the manager. Not everyone was making excuses for him every time, and some of those who were gave up when the excuses started having to change every other week.

The issue I have is we've spent all season building a team who actually approach and play each game with a winning mentality, even when they struggle. We're finally getting there and people want to throw a player straight back in who is the absolute polar opposite and hasn't even been able to not cause a fecking petulant hassle when he's been injured.

I've not much confidence in his attitude on the pitch suddenly improving when he can't even do nothing without having an apparent attitude problem.

He doesn't want to be here anyway so just let him leave rather than try and shoehorn him into a team he clearly doesn't fit in.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Instagram story "Manchester is Red".

I'm hoping he will be convinced with the project here.

Pogba to stay and play beautiful football with Bruno.
Instagram story "Manchester is Red".

I'm hoping he will be convinced with the project here.

Pogba to stay and play beautiful football with Bruno.
That you Paul? Wonder if Manchester United can live up to your otherworldly standards? if the shirt can make itself magically worthy of your immense talent?

hmchan

What antics? Is he dancing and cutting his hair on the pitch?!
The difference in Pogba's performance for France and us doesn't come from his attitude, but the ability of his teammates, and many fail to acknowledge that.

At United, his teammates are just so incompetent that Pogba has to do the jobs for them. The attacking midfield had been poor in the past few years and he was the only creative force; Herrera failed to bring the ball forward and he needed to come deep to pick up the ball; I often saw him cover the LB for Darmian as well. In France, he just had to focus in his one and only role, which he managed to do.

Let's face it, our players are just not at his level. Against Watford he created at least 3 golden chances in 20 mins after he came on as a sub but none of them was taken. It took them too many touches to control his long passes and the threat was gone. I'm pretty sure Griezmann or Mbappe would have handled better.

Now instead of improving our quality, some suggest to let our best player go. Stop being carried away by Ole, mentality is important but ability decides which team wins. James has the right mentality but his performance is disappointing.

Hawks2008

Funny how many people here don't want Pogba to unbalance a balanced midfield but in the Grealish thread some are suggesting benching Fred and getting a DM to play with Bruno and Grealish or playing Grealish Bruno and Fred.

I mean it's pretty clear right now what we need for a complete midfield is a DM. Bruno Fred and Matic trio is a balanced midfield and has led us to be solid defensive and attacking wise. But Matic is the weakest link there as he is getting old and would need replacing. Replace Matic with a DM not with Pogba or Grealish and the midfield is complete and balanced. In my opinion, Pogba should be sold to add funds to our rebuild and we should get Grealish as a solid rotational option given his versatility
Yeah but you see Grealish is a caf darling and Pogba is public enemy #1 it seems so don't expect rationality.