Where does Pogba fit in?

Fergie Steps In

All this talk about giving Pogba a free role is concerning. Despite his talent, he's a player with a serious attitude problem. You can't just reward a player like that with a role that requires a good attitude.

C'est Moi Cantona

It has to be likely that the summer transfer window isn't happening, so we could end up in a strong position next season, as I'm sure Bruno coming in was done with Pogba expected to leave.

We look very strong for when things resume.

Last edited:

mancave bear

What We understand so far :
  1. Airplane mode Pogba will never play
  2. Half arsed Pogba is worse than Phil Jones in midfield
  3. But fully arsed Pogba is almost prime Iniesta
If He continues his career at ManUnited, We need to understand all of the above, and play him according to his mode. Raiola seems to know about this better than anyone so it's better for Ole to ask him before every game, the Pogba whisperer.

O : "Hey you fat man, what's his mode for tomorrow?"
R : "It's half arsed mode, boss"
Plays BFS

R : "He's on a plane, boss"
Plays BFS

R : "He's raring to go, had a haircut, coloured it Red and had been playing Glory Glory ManUnited in his room, boss"
Plays BPS
Hoping for a fully committed Pogba (over a longer period), is like hoping for an elphant to fly. Its just want happend. Sad : (

Untd55

I thought he would leave for certain this summer, but now I think there will be very little transfer activity and he will stay.

If he plays at his best, then it has to be Fernandes, Pogba and Fred. That midfield should dominate sufficient possession and be creative enough to counter the weaker defensive side.

We have two great defenders at wing back to counteract the defensive weakness, anyway.

The technical ability across that midfield should create flowing and intricate play. It should no doubt be great to watch.

This would work against the majority of teams.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’d be a great player in a good side. Back four looks solid, front three look good. Bruno looks great. Exciting times.

Worth mentioning everyone has been crap for about seven years bar the GK and he’s now gone backwards.

Champagne Football

I'll have the rosary beads out praying Juve cough up the 100 million to get him out of here. He doesn't belong here and never has.

If he gets stuck here then you'd hope that he'll get the head down and focus, but he has proven many times he cannot be trusted, and it's always about him and only him, so the sooner he's gone, the better for everyone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wouldn't want to shoe horn him in to make Bruno adjust to a deeper role tbh. A lot are excited about them both together but I think one will need to compromise.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I thought he would leave for certain this summer, but now I think there will be very little transfer activity and he will stay.

If he plays at his best, then it has to be Fernandes, Pogba and Fred. That midfield should dominate sufficient possession and be creative enough to counter the weaker defensive side.

We have two great defenders at wing back to counteract the defensive weakness, anyway.

The technical ability across that midfield should create flowing and intricate play. It should no doubt be great to watch.

This would work against the majority of teams.
Much as I like Fred I just can't see him and Pogba forming a great partnership. I don't know why, maybe I'm just thinking of Pogba jumping on Fred's back at the slightest feck up when they played together when Fred first joined. Hope to be wrong of course, as that would be a terrific flowing midfield if they all clicked, but I just feel like McTominay is mentally tougher than Fred and would maybe be the better partner for Pogba.

On the other hand, I very much hope Pogba doesn't just walk back into the team over either of Pastor Fred or McT until he's shown with his attitude and performance that he deserves it. He's clearly a level above almost any midfielder in the world in terms of talent but that doesn't give him the right to waltz in and out of the team as he sees fit. He's got to be either a team player or he's got to put up better numbers than Fernandes, simple as that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Much as I like Fred I just can't see him and Pogba forming a great partnership. I don't know why, maybe I'm just thinking of Pogba jumping on Fred's back at the slightest feck up when they played together when Fred first joined. Hope to be wrong of course, as that would be a terrific flowing midfield if they all clicked, but I just feel like McTominay is mentally tougher than Fred and would maybe be the better partner for Pogba.

On the other hand, I very much hope Pogba doesn't just walk back into the team over either of Pastor Fred or McT until he's shown with his attitude and performance that he deserves it. He's clearly a level above almost any midfielder in the world in terms of talent but that doesn't give him the right to waltz in and out of the team as he sees fit. He's got to be either a team player or he's got to put up better numbers than Fernandes, simple as that.
Is he allowed to include penalties ?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would put him on the bench until naturally forces his way into the side im a position that suits the team.

Inter Yer Nan

I would like him in his role for the French side at the World Cup almost in a midfield two but obviously being the one of the pair with more freedom. Bruno the furthest advanced. If Pogba stays and now that we look good (especially if we have another great window) actually decides he wants to make it as a United player then we have some very exciting times ahead because he is a great player when he wants to be.

jamesjimmybyrondean

...Bruno..

Fred...Pogba

Tried this out on fifa. Fred defended better as left DM while Pogba is more comfortable playing some silky long passes as the right DM with Bruno doing his thing up front. :drool:

Brightonian

Looks like people have been forgetting Rashford, we'll soon need to fit Pogba and Rashford back in.
Given how he was playing before his injury, Rashford doesn't so much fit back into the team as the team fits back around Rashford. Anyway that's easy enough, he's on the left of a front three.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Given how he was playing before his injury, Rashford doesn't so much fit back into the team as the team fits back around Rashford. Anyway that's easy enough, he's on the left of a front three.
Yes I agree, which means a three midfield, which leaves some of the suggestions made so far redundant. So a midfield of Poggy and Bruno with a more defensive man behind. We need the energy of Fred or McTom there, I know people say they 'can't' do it but we'll see, players can learn, and some of the best learn well. If neither of them can shape up to that then it will be Matic until we can buy someone else. Fred and McTom would still cover for Poggy and Bruno.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Was City targeting Fred all a rumour? Wasn't he supposed to be bought to replace Fernandinho and play behind Silva and De Bryune

Last edited:

Brightonian

Yes I agree, which means a three midfield, which leaves some of the suggestions made so far redundant. So a midfield of Poggy and Bruno with a more defensive man behind. We need the energy of Fred or McTom there, I know people say they 'can't' do it but we'll see, players can learn, and some of the best learn well. If neither of them can shape up to that then it will be Matic until we can buy someone else. Fred and McTom would still cover for Poggy and Bruno.
I don't know that I'd say they can't do it, just that it might not be preferable in the long run, so we should try and sign a DM. But I'm certainly keen to see them try it, and it will be good for Fred and McT to be each other's competition for one spot now and again, so they'll keep each other honest.

Hawks2008

Was City targeting Fred all a rumour? Wasn't he supposed to be bought to replace Fernandinho and play behind Silva and De Bryune
The thing is Pep is a master at organizing a midfield and possession play, in a team like ours that's mostly a counter attacking team I think we'd still need a more defensive player to hold it down especially if we are going to allow Bruno and Pogba to join the attack as they like to.

James Ward

Would this work:

Pogba Rashford Martial
Bruno
Fred Scott

TBH can't see anyone signing Pogba this summer after an injury hit year and the financial stress clubs are under.

FattyFooty

Some days I hope people reread the nonsenses they write and realize what dumb vitriols they write on internet platforms.

These same people who make idiotic posts are the very same ones always moaning about as not improving us a team and performing at the highest level.

You see people make dumb comments such as "let's get rid of Pogba, Scott will bench him etc" then they'll later moan about how we lack quality when we rightfully get ran over by a superior team.

In order to improve, as a team we need to add quality on top of any quality we have, not replace them. How hard is this to grasp? It's always the same dumb posts on the Caf.

"McTomminay should bench Pogba, sell him to Madrid" , "Replace Martial with Ighalo" , "We have Bruno now so we don't need Pogba anymore" etc. The very same stupid statements over and over. Can't shake my head enough.
Sir Alex disagree with you. You clearly haven't understood why most people want him gone.

He and he's agent has only been a torn.

Our team is far more important than him alone.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The thing is Pep is a master at organizing a midfield and possession play, in a team like ours that's mostly a counter attacking team I think we'd still need a more defensive player to hold it down especially if we are going to allow Bruno and Pogba to join the attack as they like to.
Lets see though. There was an interview where the interviewer labelled our team as counter attacking. Ole replied that he wants us to be more possession based, which we usually are against smaller sides

James Ward

Lets see though. There was an interview where the interviewer labelled our team as counter attacking. Ole replied that he wants us to be more possession based, which we usually are against smaller sides
Thing with Ole is he doesn't know how to break down smaller teams.

I'm sure though he's having weekly chats with Fergie on this and what's lacking in the team.

It's B Rubble

A 4-4-2 diamond with Pogba left, Bruno at 10, McT right and Fred DM would probably be something Ole has thought of. Seems Bruno has a better eye for goal than Pogba so cut backs from Rashford or Martial shouldn’t be a problem. Pogba seemed to always see himself as a LCM or LAM but we’ve never had quality midfielders around him who are industrious. Fred and McT can do the dirty work while Bruno, Pogba, Martial and Rashford play Joga Bonito.

We could also go the Mourinho route and stick Bruno on the RW with Lingard at 10 and Matic and Pogba in a double pivot.
I still have nightmares

Gasolin

...Bruno..

Fred...Pogba

Tried this out on fifa. Fred defended better as left DM while Pogba is more comfortable playing some silky long passes as the right DM with Bruno doing his thing up front. :drool:
I play with Fred behind Bruno and Pogba for both PES and FIFA. In PES, they are amazing, but naturally, Fred roams forward a lot and it does create a problem :lol: .

More seriously, we should try someone like Matic to accomodate Bruno and Pogba together.
If we want to dominate the midfield, sometimes, we could play with Matic, Fred behind Bruno and Pogba, and only 2 strikers, maybe Rashford and Martial?

Having multiple options is really what matters to us so that we can win games in various ways against different teams.

Gasolin

Thing with Ole is he doesn't know how to break down smaller teams.

I'm sure though he's having weekly chats with Fergie on this and what's lacking in the team.
Such a disrespect here... sure. He was also calling Fergie every day when he had a possession oriented champion team at Molde for his first titles. Before he decided to change the style there too after losing a couple of key players? Yeah...

Gasolin

The only reason it seems difficult to consider right now is because Fred earns the ball very high on the pitch sometimes, so we think we need to compensate for that. But that can surely be fixed through training. Especially with a player like Bruno who is mindful of the situation on the pitch and acts accordingly.

And do we think Pogba is completely inept to learn those moves? I think it's doable, especially with a player like Bruno who may tell him where to be and what to do if he feels the team is losing balance.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What's so bad with a flat midfield 3?

Pogba - Fred - Bruno Fernandes

I only say it because it surprises me how much defensive work Bruno Fernandes actually does that i don't think we actually have to stick him out at CAM either.

I can see it working well considering we have very good defensive full backs that, a false 9 and 2 inverted forwards.

James Ward

Such a disrespect here... sure. He was also calling Fergie every day when he had a possession oriented champion team at Molde for his first titles. Before he decided to change the style there too after losing a couple of key players? Yeah...
Well he has to do something even fred questioned his management. He's out of depth.

Gasolin

Well he has to do something even fred questioned his management. He's out of depth.
Are you a troll? Fred had that interview in Portuguese. Many things can happen when translated, and it might have been a miscommunication for all we know.
But the key point is that McKenna asked for Fred, and Ole has played him and made him progress. That should be enough to stop all that nonsense about his management, if anything.

Here are some notes about that interview.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/fred-c...ave-a-lot-of-problems-rdquo-/view/news/354571

I think it's fair to say that the way he put it can be better, and he himself didn't want to say anything really negative. Footballers are not always geniuses. Sometimes, they say stuff and they don't think. If Fred was really criticizing Ole, he would not be playing. That's something Ole has learnt from SAF.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

He doesn't. Bruno has looked great as the most advanced of a midfield 3, which is exactly where Pogba is at his best. He can't play deeper as part of a two-man midfield in front of the defenders - he lacks the defensive nous and discipline, makes too many errors and he visibly hates it too. We all used to moan about his talents being wasted there. Bruno is his replacement, it's clear as day, we're just waiting for someone to make a reasonable bid for Pogba and we'll then sign a dedicated CDM.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He doesn't. Bruno has looked great as the most advanced of a midfield 3, which is exactly where Pogba is at his best. He can't play deeper as part of a two-man midfield in front of the defenders - he lacks the defensive nous and discipline, makes too many errors and he visibly hates it too. We all used to moan about his talents being wasted there. Bruno is his replacement, it's clear as day, we're just waiting for someone to make a reasonable bid for Pogba and we'll then sign a dedicated CDM.
Yep. But alot of people are hammering on Grealish to replace Pogba instead of a CDM

predator

Youth NITK
Not sure what will happen although I believe he will stay with us.

The thought of Pogba and Bruno running riot makes me happy during this lockdown.

Gasolin

Bruno is not necessarily a Pogba replacement. Pogba has been playing deeper, why play him upfront all of sudden? Pogba plays the role he plays for France right now, so that's fine. We just need a Kante. Can that be Fred, Matic, Scott, whoever? In some games, we may double up the midfield and remove a striker, but that's about it.

My feeling is that Pogba is Pogba, Fred/Matic/Scott will be our Kante, Bruno is a bit like Griezmann, creating.
Martial is a way better false 9 then Giroud and combines with Bruno, Rashford is the left forward, and we need someone on the right, but until then, it's James to play more for his pressing activity. And if Sancho comes, it will be interesting.

To recap (initial line up, sub)

CF: Martial, Ighalo
LW: Rashford, James
RW: Sancho, Greenwood

CAM: Bruno, Mejbri?, this dude Bellingham we seem to go crazy about?
CM: Pogba, Scott
DM: Fred, Matic

Why not?

The one thing I do not doubt one second with Ole is that he's really good at being creative with the line up. He successfully transitioned multiple formations to cope with the injuries, and it's paying off now. So if anything, he will have a clear idea on how to play with those players. That's not something all managers can do. We should feel lucky.

tjb

I think this too. I would like Grealish on the right midfielder that comes inside. His dribbling ability and pace will provide the threat Mata can no longer give us. I would actually prefer this to us signing Sancho as it would be much cheaper with him providing similar to higher levels of creativity. Rashford is a wide forward and in our system is essentially a second striker who comes in from the left. Similar to Neymar at Barca, Ronaldo at Real or Henry at Barca. If we can get Grealish into a Di Maria role, where he creates from the right, we would have a lot of creativity supporting Martial/New Striker and Rashford.

Shimo

Bruno is not necessarily a Pogba replacement. Pogba has been playing deeper, why play him upfront all of sudden? Pogba plays the role he plays for France right now, so that's fine. We just need a Kante. Can that be Fred, Matic, Scott, whoever? In some games, we may double up the midfield and remove a striker, but that's about it.

My feeling is that Pogba is Pogba, Fred/Matic/Scott will be our Kante, Bruno is a bit like Griezmann, creating.
Martial is a way better false 9 then Giroud and combines with Bruno, Rashford is the left forward, and we need someone on the right, but until then, it's James to play more for his pressing activity. And if Sancho comes, it will be interesting.

To recap (initial line up, sub)

CF: Martial, Ighalo
LW: Rashford, James
RW: Sancho, Greenwood

CAM: Bruno, Mejbri?, this dude Bellingham we seem to go crazy about?
CM: Pogba, Scott
DM: Fred, Matic

Why not?

The one thing I do not doubt one second with Ole is that he's really good at being creative with the line up. He successfully transitioned multiple formations to cope with the injuries, and it's paying off now. So if anything, he will have a clear idea on how to play with those players. That's not something all managers can do. We should feel lucky.
You are right. Don't think Ole sees Bruno replacement one bit. Look at who even though fit were not even making the match day squads, Lingard and Perreira, the two at the start of the season that were playing where Bruno has been. Pogba will fit in the second midfielder role that he was at the start of the season.

Question will be if that is the right thing seeing as some of the problems with him in that role - such as dallying on the ball and trying things in area where if they don't work, can put us in trouble and not always working hard as say a McT or Fred in covering the area in front of the defense. Personally I absolutely think it should be the case, for most of the matches at least where we should be dominating and looking to create, his pluses far outweighs the other stuff.

Jose Jaime Eskauriatza

Supports
The Ole Train
Pogba deserves a chance next to / slightly behind Bruno... holding Matic... Fred/Mc Sauce roaming about on the sidelines (and obvious sensible rotation)... this is a ridiculous top 3 (both CMs at WC Finalm both leaders) and Bruno... Feck... let's do this!