Where next for John Stones?

Robbie Boy

He's only 26 and I think he's a good player who has had injury problems and it never quite worked out for him at City.

Craig Ward

He's stagnated at City and not developed as much as he should have.

I think it's a combination: he hasn't applied himself in the way Pep would like & Pep is not able to man manage and help him fulfil his potential. Why hasnt Pep developed him? Pep seems to have givven up on him and just thrown money at other players instead. Got to say - looks like lazy coaching to some degree

Stones & Pep on paper is a good match.

Yes Stones look raw and made mistakes at Everton - but he was encouraged to play his way out of trouble. The hope was he would develop the skills he had and fine tune his game to become a truly good modern ball playing CB. I dont even know what he is anymore.

If Stones went don the table and had to do more defending - he'd be an absolute liability. If he's leaving City - he needs to go abroad. Smalling has just highlighted you only need to be a half decent CB to look pretty good in Serie A. Stone's would do ok in Spain or Italy. Don't think he has much to offer another prem team and his future at city has looked bleak for a while.

Pep's Suit

"Manchester City have not conceded in 718 minutes (11 hours & 58 minutes) with John Stones on the pitch. Conceded one goal when he was playing this season: at Wolves on September 21."

Fair play to Stones, he really turned it around.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Hope he keeps up his rebirth as an asset to City.
Underwent a couple of years of hell with injuries and a messy breakup which knocked his confidence but now looks likely to be offered a new improved contract.
Being paired with the more assertive Ruben Dias rather than Laporte seems to have helped him.

Jonno

"Manchester City have not conceded in 718 minutes (11 hours & 58 minutes) with John Stones on the pitch. Conceded one goal when he was playing this season: at Wolves on September 21."

Fair play to Stones, he really turned it around.
Best form of his career, I’ve read nothing but rave reviews across the papers recently

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Playing very well and looks like Pep has finally found the right centre back combination.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Where next? He should be able to score with his preferred foot actually, then he could have had a hattrick today.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Now he needs to stay fit. Seems to be the biggest challenge for him.
Playing very well and looks like Pep has finally found the right centre back combination.
Will be interesting to see what happens when Laporte is back from injury ... he's been their best centreback for a couple of years... Diaz has looked good since his arrival and stones is in great form... one of them is gonna end up disappointed

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Stones should play even when Laporte recovers from his injury...he has been tremendous alongside Dias. I honestly didn't realize how good Dias was when City signed him...he is just a brilliant defender.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Will be interesting to see what happens when Laporte is back from injury ... he's been their best centreback for a couple of years... Diaz has looked good since his arrival and stones is in great form... one of them is gonna end up disappointed
Why change something that's working, I think City have kept 7 clean sheets over the last 9 games. Laporte will have to wait for his chance again.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sorted his personal life out and now finally fullfiling his potential. Good for him really, don't like see talent go to waste because players can't sort their shite out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Incredible re-surgence.
We're used to players dropping off completely, but how many have done the reverse like he has!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Laporte sadly has been trash since his big injury. He's not getting back in the team, there are even rumors, himself and Pep have an unsaveable relationship and he was benched long before his injury.

Red Star One

Sorted his personal life out and now finally fullfiling his potential. Good for him really, don't like see talent go to waste because players can't sort their shite out.
Perhaps it's a bit stupid/tabloidesque to ask, but what were his personal issues? Always thought he was class in Everton and expected him to come good with City, was quite gutted he didn't join us.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Perhaps it's a bit stupid/tabloidesque to ask, but what were his personal issues? Always thought he was class in Everton and expected him to come good with City, was quite gutted he didn't join us.
The usual infidelity issues. Bit more serious as the affair in this case was against his long term childhood sweetheart, who I believe he has a kid with. A quick google search also tells me he had an absolutely horrific tattoo of his ex-girlfriend which he has now had removed. :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Apologies for bumping an old thread but I think it's appropriate given the interesting trajectory of his career (this thread was created around the nadir of his City tenure).

What a renaissance.

This man was dribbling in midfield in the final like he was Hazard.

And I'm not sure why this came to mind, but yeah, I think this is apt. Pep defending him early on in his career.

Balls.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Amazing performance and amazing season. Can't get around my head how brilliant he is in this new role. Imo, he was the only player that really showed up for City last night.

This is where Pep does get big credit in my book, he really massively improves his players.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I thought he was good. Obviously defensively solid and he’s a really powerful runner when he gets moving with his size and athleticism. He still doesn’t have the guile/touch to play in and around the box. Thought that was noticeable a few times last night.