Where should Pogba and Rashford play?

slored1

My ideal lineup for the next season would have Rashford upfront/rotating with Mason on the right. Pogba is exclusively a left-sided playmaker, unless we sign some defensive monster like Ndidi or Casemiro.

EdinburghDevil

I think the later half of this campaign has shown why a proper DM needs to be prioritised this summer. It would balance the team out so much better.

I feel like we play the double pivot for a couple of reasons and they are due to Ole not fully trusting the CB partnership and Fred or Scott to go solo in that DM role.

All the title winning teams I can think of in the last 5 - 10 years have had a proper anchor in the midfield whether it's been Fabinho, Kante or Fernandiho.

Redrum1982

I think the later half of this campaign has shown why a proper DM needs to be prioritised this summer. It would balance the team out so much better.

I feel like we play the double pivot for a couple of reasons and they are due to Ole not fully trusting the CB partnership and Fred or Scott to go solo in that DM role.

All the title winning teams I can think of in the last 5 - 10 years have had a proper anchor in the midfield whether it's been Fabinho, Kante or Fernandiho.
I agree to a certain extent, this is definitely what I would like to see but I think we have an issue at centre back that influences what happens in the midfield. Both of our starting centre backs play on the back foot, Maguire less so than Lindelof but both for me display this as their natural instinct. When you play with CBs who drop off and back up to the edge of their area you create space for runners, this is where a sole DM will struggle, when multiple runners start bypassing the 2 more advanced midfield players. This is why we persist with the Fred-McTominay partnership.

I'd love to see two CBs who play on the front foot and a DM signed to allow Pogba-DM-Bruno in midfield.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its a short term issue where I think he's leaving this summer or next summer anyway. But we can't really get Rashford, Pogba and Bruno in their best positions if they're together. Greenwood on the right with Pogba and Bruno is a better balance, Rashford in for Greenwood puts him on the right where he is very hit and miss (but still capable of excellent performances). Pogba leaves us way too light in midfield when he is deeper, at least when starting. If Bruno out, Pogba as a 10 and Rashford left works great too. But generally with everyone here and fit, it'll be Pogba left, Rashford on the right with Cavani central and Bruno in behind.

Lowkey

Pogba plays on the left, Rashford doesnt get into the team for the strongest 11 for me unfortunately.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They're both LW for me, but Pogba can be an AM and Rashford a CF/RW, which is good as hopefully it means going forward we don't have to run Rashford/others into the ground and can rotate a bit with quality players ala City

Zlatattack

Easy, rotation.

Pogba and Rashford can rotate. Pogba and Bruno can rotate, Rashford can play CF and if needed RW, Pogba can play CM in a 2 or a three.

If either of them have a problem with that - tough.

OverratedOpinion

Technically it should give us options to rest both Cavani and Bruno without seeing the drop that we often get when we bring in VDB or James ect.

If we need to rest Cavani then play Rashford up front and Pogba on the left, if we need to rest Bruno (we need to be able to do this more) then play 3 in midfield with Pogba roaming to the left and Rashford on the wing cutting inside.

There will always be plenty of games.

thepolice123

I’m sure these things are considered and tested during training but theoretically I don’t see why Pogba couldn’t emulate De Bruyne’s role at City and use his passing and crossing range from the right. I think it’s the way he carries the ball on the left though, his natural inclination to cut back and open the pick up to his right boot which isn’t natural on the opposite side of the field.
I could be wrong on this as it has been awhile but I remember De Bruyne played many games for Wolfsburg at the right wing position. I think he has a natural inclination to roam towards the right side which meant that role at City was perfect for him. Pogba, on the other hand, prefers the left. At Juve they used him mainly at that LCM position.

Its hard to switch positions even though they are theoretically the same because once habits and skillsets are developed its even tougher to coach out of it. Its will be like asking Beckham to play left wing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You can count on injuries so I don't think it's too much of an issue, they're both best on the left but theres plenty of games and we need to get our squad to the same numbers and quality that City have so this is a good thing

You can actually throw Martial in as a 3rd option as well

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't know why we haven't tried the diamond at all. But yes, he shouldn't play in the midfield 2.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
People talk about "top teams having great depth", but before building depth, we need to improve our first XI. Our CB, DM, RW and arguably CF need to be upgraded first before thinking about strengthening the depth of our squad. Priorities.

No top team is leaving a player like Pogba or Rashford on the bench. Both of them know that when a big match comes around its them against each other. That's not healthy. Ideally Pogba, Bruno and Rashford should all be first choice.
What happens when their form drops off or one of them gets tired. Should they still have a divine right to start every game? What if one of them gets injured? You would have said the same thing about martial last season and look at him and Cavani wiping the floor with him now. It’s the same thing with Pogba on the left making Rashfords contribution look quite one dimensional. Keep boosting the quality of the first 11 and the squad will take care of itself. Most people are just annoyed that it’ll end up taking minutes off Rashford or Greenwood (or martial last season) when the truth is if they aren’t playing with enough intensity to keep their place they should be dropped. Greenwood and Rashford have also been ineffective in too many games for us to win anything major. It looks to me like a genuine threat for their place is exactly what WE need to kick on.

Last edited:

Apokalips

This. I think united fans get way more hung up on players losing their place because signings or changes in formation etc.
Having 2 high quality players for a position is the kind of problem that top tier teams have.

If Pogba is a better fit there then lets play him there. If Rashford is a better fit then we play him instead.
If against some opponents 1 is more useful then great and vice versa.

Plenty of teams have more than 1 super high quality player in the same position.
100%. It is weird how often I see how we shouldn't buy this player because then this other player won't get to play every game but then complain that Bruno and Rashford play every match. We need more quality and competition breeds excellence so the added competition should make everyone improve. Our flexibility of options in attacking positions with Rashford/Sancho/Martial/Pogba/Bruno/Greenwood and Cavani in those front 4 positions would be fantastic.

Dante

Average bang
Rashford's the better player. Not by a huge amount. But, overall, he is.

When one's on form and the other's off form, the one who's doing better should get the left sided role. That's been Pogba for a couple of weeks now. I doubt it's going to be for long, though, judging by what we've seen from him since 2016.

lost7

I'm really curious to see what team Ole's gonna go with for the Europa League final. I think some of the best performances we've had this year were against Spurs and Roma where Pogba (on the left)/Cavani/Bruno linked really well together, so I wouldn't be surprised if we go with that and Rashy is moved to the right. But then again, Rashford is so much better on the left and when he plays there, he often makes those incredible runs (like against Granada away) which offer us a very direct way to score.

It's a good problem to have to be honest...

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I'd like to see Pogba in a midfield 3 with Bruno and a top class CDM.

Buy Grealish to play on the left and Rashford can compete for a place in the front 3 with Martial, Greenwood and Amad.

RuudTom83

I think it's the only position Pogba can play at his best!

Anywhere else and he is not the same. So if he signs a new contract then I'd let him have that position from here on out. If he doesn't re-sign then the question/problem isn't a question/problem.

Rashford will have to focus more on a CF position.

The one to lose out is Martial tbh, he really is at the bottom of the pecking order now behind these two plus Cavani/Greenwood. If Sancho comes in then I would expect Pogba or Martial to leave (but that's for another thread)

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree, at this rate Rashford is benched.
Cavani has nearly as many g/a as Rashford in 1000 less minutes with no fuss and hes 10 years older. No walking around or not working. Simple effective direct pass and move football with pressing and work rate.This is what happens when you put an injured Rashford on a pedestal. You forget what an effective and balanced team performance looks like over supporting an individual player

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Depends entirely on whether we get Sancho. When Pogbas missing in the lineup our creative play goes downhill fast as the opposition can focus on shutting down Bruno and that halts most of our attacks. But with Pogba in the team it forces the opponent into shutting down both Pogba and Bruno and thats significantly harder. With Sancho in the team that opens up yet another avenue and allows us to rotate Pogba a bit more.

Also as a reminder, given how well we've been doing in cup games with Ole we tend to have close to 60 games a season, thats more than enough games to rotate Pogba/Rashford. Also gives us the option of rotating when one is out of form. Likewise the same scenario would occur with Sancho/Greenwood. We need more options on the bench to bring on so if one player is having a bad game we have quality to bring on and effect the game.

But as of right now, Pogba/Bruno have the nod over Bruno/Rashford.

stepic

I’d like to see Pogba and Bruno in midfield supported by a proper DM. Could this work?

Diabovermelho

If we buy Sancho, against low blocks, we could see Pogba in a double pivot, and Rashford on the left. But in the big games, its Pogba on the left, Sancho on the right and Rashford on the bench. If we don't buy Sancho, then i could see Ole continuing to play Rashford as a RW...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What's the point of spending 78m on Sancho if we are playing a diamond though. If the plan is really to play Pogba on the left and get Sancho that would leave Rashford Martial and Greenwood on the bench. Does anybody really see that happening realistically? I think Pogba would go back to the double pivot if Sancho comes. Ole Is aware of his weaknesses but it doesn't stop him from playing Pogba there
If Martial, Pogba & Cavani are as fit as Bruno and can stay away from injury and capable to play week in week out then we don't need to worry about upgrading our squad depth.

The problem is that those three are not on Bruno's level fitness means we need to have a better alternative than James and much more suitable alternative for our system than VDB. Whether it's signing cheaper version Raphinha or add extra 25m-30m to sign Sancho or putting full faith on Daillo next season, in my opinion James & VDB have shown us this season that they are not capable to be the alternative to replace our regular players especially when our regulars are unfit, tired & injured.

Ideally, I would like to see Sancho comes in while we sell James & VDB who one is not good enough while the other one doesn't suit to our system. Whichever way we do it, in my opinion we need to have more reliable option than James, VDB & Mata.

Ekeke

4-3-3

Pogba left midfield, new proper DM, Fred/McTominay/De Beek/Garner on the right

Bruno, Cavani and Rashford up front

New CB so we dont feel the need to play 2 DMs all the time

alexthelion

Wonder what the plan is with him. He clearly plays better and enjoys himself on the left. Asides that, him saying playing on the left works well for the balance of the team means it's certainly been noted by the coaching staff. Problem with him on the left is we'd end up shoehorning Rashford on the right where his performance drops.

It becomes a choice of do we play Rashford on the left where he is effective then shoehorn Pogba in the double pivot where he is a defensive liability. Or do we play Pogba on the left where he is effective then shoehorn Rashford on the right where his contribution drops. Either choice would upset the balance of the team so the third choice could be to drop one of them

We've been able to rotate Pogba and Rashford with Rashford now being second choice ST and RW to Cavani and Greenwood. And Pogba second choice at LW to Rashford. Martial is returning and would be our second choice striker. If Sancho (who can play RW and LW at a high level) is a target then I think the choice has been made for Pogba to go back to playing in the double pivot and we'd find him there more often than not next season

To clarify I'm not suggesting or against making our attacking depth even stronger. I just want to know the Cafs opinion on how they can all be rotated
Rotate them, but with Pogba as the no.1

Crashoutcassius

both, but pogba on left and give rashford time to adapt to the right often. playing pogba on the left is too good an opportunity to get big performances from him, while we can focus in the summer on upgrading our double pivot without worrying about signing players to 'unlock pogba'

Dve

Wonder what the plan is with him. He clearly plays better and enjoys himself on the left. Asides that, him saying playing on the left works well for the balance of the team means it's certainly been noted by the coaching staff. Problem with him on the left is we'd end up shoehorning Rashford on the right where his performance drops.

It becomes a choice of do we play Rashford on the left where he is effective then shoehorn Pogba in the double pivot where he is a defensive liability. Or do we play Pogba on the left where he is effective then shoehorn Rashford on the right where his contribution drops. Either choice would upset the balance of the team so the third choice could be to drop one of them

We've been able to rotate Pogba and Rashford with Rashford now being second choice ST and RW to Cavani and Greenwood. And Pogba second choice at LW to Rashford. Martial is returning and would be our second choice striker. If Sancho (who can play RW and LW at a high level) is a target then I think the choice has been made for Pogba to go back to playing in the double pivot and we'd find him there more often than not next season

To clarify I'm not suggesting or against making our attacking depth even stronger. I just want to know the Cafs opinion on how they can all be rotated
Pogba can also play in Bruno´s position, so no worries about game time for Rashford. And there will be injuries. In current form, Rashford should start on the bench.

Devil may care

The general view I get is whether a poster wants Rice, Ndidi or Bissouma they all think Pogba can play alongside them to provide the creativity side of the double pivot, my hope is Ole realizes it won't work, when Pogba plays there for France it's a different set-up and I think when Pogba needs to play in it for 6 games in a month for a tournament he can keep his concentration, a 60 game club season is totally different, he wants to play in attack, I'm beating the comparison to death but people need to realize he's more Gullit than Yaya Toure. If Rice is signed then he's our Rodri/Ndidi/Kante/Fabinho, but in those cases their partners are Gundogan/Tielemans/Kovacic/Thiago or Wijnaldum.....look at the mobility and quick ground coverage of those #8's and the key differences are obvious to me. Pogba is best off the left in attack, Rashford can compete with him, Mason and Cavani/Martial for any of the attacking slots.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I like Pogba on the left. It will also make Rashford work on his "off the ball" movement. From the left, Rashford tries to do too much on his own. I'd like to see him making that far post run more often when playing from the right when he doesn't have the ball, and taking his man wide and at pace when he does have the ball. The big test will be when we play Liverpool. Pogba will have to work hard to track the runs of TAA...

El Jefe

This really is an issue and anyone downplaying it is ignoring all the evidence. It doesn't seem possible at least with the current formation to maximise both of their strengths.

The first question that needs to be asked is are we stronger with Rashford on the left and Pogba in midfield or with Rashford on the right and Pogba on the left. I really don't know, havent seen enough of the latter to give a definite answer.

Ole has a problem on his hands as both are extremely important to how we perform. Perhaps he needs another formation change to get the best out of both. Seeing Rashford on the right isn't the best use of his skills at all but neither is Pogba in a deep midfield position. The diamond is still a solution but unfortunately we don't pass the ball well enough as a team to play it successfully.

Dve

Pogba was always a left sided 8. It’s annoying we rarely played the 433 and let him grow in that position. If I’m not wrong I’m sure he played that position when Ole took over as caretaker and was incredible. He’ll always be hit and miss in the double pivot as he isn’t great defensively.
Could Bruno play as the right sided 8?
That´s what he did for Sporting, wasn´t it? I remember when we signed him, people with good knowledge of him as a player argued he was a nr. 8 first and foremost, but a 10. Not sure though, that Pogba and Fernandes playing together in a 4-3-3 would give us the right balance. Fernandes is not Herrera. Defensively, this setup give me a bit of chill.

Rashford - Cavani - Sancho
Pogba - Rice - Fernandes

I´d rather stick with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Last edited:

Dve

4-3-3

Pogba left midfield, new proper DM, Fred/McTominay/De Beek/Garner on the right

Bruno, Cavani and Rashford up front

New CB so we dont feel the need to play 2 DMs all the time
Bruno on the right wing? Not sure about that.

Mr. Ant

If we buy a good enough defensive midfielder we could play 4-3-3 with Pogba and Bruno in midfield but I don't know if there is a defensive midfielder who could balance that out. Against weaker teams that formation could be useable.