Where will Rashford play?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
James is much more effective on the left, and is the man in form right now. Martial has made a good start as a #9, so does that mean Rashford will start on the right?

It would be bad management if Ole shifts James to the right just to put Rashford on the left. The man in form should start in his favoured position. Mourinho made this mistake when Alexis was signed, Martial was in arguably the best form of his United career, yet was shifted out to the right to make way for Alexis.

Raw

As of this point in time, it'd have to be rotation with Martial or starting on the right. No way should we be displacing James. For one James is on a hot streak, and secondly Rashford has been pretty poor after the Chelsea game.

I fear Ole will start putting Rashford on the left with James on the right though.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
James is in good goal scoring form but how long before his 'cut onto his right foot and shoot' is snuffed out? I mean I know Robben made a career out of it on the other side of the pitch and no one ever learnt but James isn't Robben

As soon as Martial is fit I'd revert Rashford to the left and James to the right personally

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They both will play as wingers with changing positions in the game. I think in one of the game they did it. James is looking better as LW, so he should play as first choice LW, Rashford as RW.

roonster09

Scout
James is in good goal scoring form but how long before his 'cut onto his right foot and shoot' is snuffed out? I mean I know Robben made a career out of it on the other side of the pitch and no one ever learnt but James isn't Robben

As soon as Martial is fit I'd revert Rashford to the left and James to the right personally
Tbf to James, he used his left foot to put few good crosses too. He doesn't always cut in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
On the right, you'd imagine. It's not like the competition is so fierce there.

romufc

It would be bad management if Ole shifts James to the right just to put Rashford on the left.
I cannot see Ole doing anything to upset Rashford.

He needs to be dropped or played on the right hand side until he ups his game.

Ole needs to show his managerial skill and reward form whilst sending a message to his favourite Rashy.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
On the right or bench. He's not as clinical as Martial and James picks himself on the left.

Hawks2008

As you said, James and Martial have found form on the left and middle respectively so might not be smart to displace them. Rashford would solve lots of problems for our attacking play if he becomes competent on the right. I can see all 3 starting, Rashford and James swapping sides at different points and then back again. Rashford is the managers favourite though so no doubt he will indulge him and put him on the left and hope James can maintain form on the right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am waiting 2 years now to see him on the right. With Martial as much better striker than Rashford(imo) and James who proved that he is much more natural on the left, it would be obvious choice.
But i expect that he will keep changing positions with Martial on lw/st positions while James will stay on the right

TRUERED89

All inverted wingers do it, cut in and shoot nothing wrong with it. Leave him on the left, 'Rashy' is actually a good crosser, so let him slam them in from the right. I've mentioned this before but his cross for Pogba at Stamford Bridge last season was pin point accurate and perfectly weighted! He can put in dangerous balls regularly. James has earned his spot on the left imo.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
On the left along with the majority of our better attackers, of course.

Have a forward 3 of Martial,Rashford and James and each one can swap between the Left forward role and the Left forward role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Will be interesting to see what happens when we finally get a quality right winger (Sancho?). My guess is that Rashford will be starting from the bench, provided Martial keeps himself fit.

el3mel

James hasn't been anything special on the right and Rashford is also a right footed player so on the left he'll also be cutting on his right foot and shooting. James seems to be better and more consistent than him in doing this, at least.

Eric's Seagull

Would like to see him tried on the right as James is doing a decent job on the left and I think that he would be more productive than Mata or Lingard out there.

rotherham_red

FFS - all this because of one poor game v Southampton...

Our fans as a collective mass are seriously dumb af.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The difference between Robben and James though (aside from the obvious quality gap) is that James is more than capable of putting in good crosses with his left, so he could easily feign to cut in then take the outside on occasion to keep defenders guessing.

I'm "dumb af" for suggesting our most in form player keep his place?

roonster09

Scout
Also amazing how quickly players reach undroppable status (or should be played in x position no matter what) and then go down to championship runner with 1 bad game.

It's good that all 3 attackers (Rashford, Martial, James) can play in multiple positions and can swap positions.

Edit: Easy to forget Rashford has 2 goals + 1 assist this season.

romufc

Actually Rashford has been poor for some time now.

Also, on the left James looks more threatening, Rashford can play right which also stops him cutting in from 40 yards and giving the opposition an easy goal kick.

The reason we sold Lukaku, he is not flexible like the three we have.

This way out of the 3, the one in form can be rewarded and they can rotate all season based on current form.

rotherham_red

Also amazing how quickly players reach undroppable status (or should be played in x position no matter what) and then go down to championship runner with 1 bad game.

It's good that all 3 attackers (Rashford, Martial, James) can play in multiple positions and can swap positions.
Exactly.

Young players in being inconsistent shocker. What's going to happen next week when one of the three has a bad game, send him to the reserves?

Silas

How about we deal with that when it's snuffed out? Doesn't make sense to move him while it's still working and he's in good form. Especially when it would be someone that's been poor recently taking his spot.

TRUERED89

No, against Palace, Wolves & Southampton fyi! What games have you been watching? He's done nothing since Chelsea apart from miss a penalty! James has been much more effective in every way!

rotherham_red

Also, on the left James looks more threatening, Rashford can play right which also stops him cutting in from 40 yards and giving the opposition an easy goal kick.
He had good games v Chelsea and especially Wolves, he then had an average-poor game v Palace and a poor game v Southampton (and even then, it was only in terms of his finishing - he was doing plenty to occupy the CBs and bringing others into play).

He needs to improve further and he might not reach the heights we all had of him when he was breaking through, but FGS, let him grow. He's at an age where his contemporaries in age are only just now breaking through into their teams, and yet he's provided so many memorable moments already for us these past three years.

He works hard, is humble, and has never given less than 100% - that's all we can ask for, and yet it doesn't seem to be enough for the spoilt among us.

romufc

He had good games v Chelsea and especially Wolves, he then had an average-poor game v Palace and a poor game v Southampton (and even then, it was only in terms of his finishing - he was doing plenty to occupy the CBs and bringing others into play).

He needs to improve further and he might not reach the heights we all had of him when he was breaking through, but FGS, let him grow. He's at an age where his contemporaries in age are only just now breaking through into their teams, and yet he's provided so many memorable moments already for us these past three years.

He works hard, is humble, and has never given less than 100% - that's all we can ask for, and yet it doesn't seem to be enough for the spoilt among us.
I agree, I should have worded it better tbh. I appreciate he is 21 and will be inconsistent.

Let him grow, but whilst he grows and someone else is delivering in the position, I would give them the chance to play there. This also gives him a kick up in the sense " I need to up my game"

We all know Ole backs him, he knows that but he also needs to feel the pressure.

I wouldn't drop him either because at his age the only way to improve is keep playing.

rotherham_red

No, against Palace, Wolves & Southampton fyi! What games have you been watching? He's done nothing since Chelsea apart from miss a penalty! James has been much more effective in every way!
He was the best player on the pitch v Wolves. Not sure what game you were watching. He was average-poor v Palace and was poor in his finishing v Southampton. Even in the England game, he had a good performance, yet it didn't stop the complaints coming through.

I hate to do this cos he's one of our players, but James was ineffective v Wolves, was poor v Palace (but saved himself from a lot of criticism because of his goal) and was undeniably great v Southampton.

Guarantee that Greenwood and Gomes will face the exact same accusations from the knee jerk among us once they go through a difficult spell.

Frank Grimes

It's a big decision for Ole. If he decides to play Rashford on the left and James on the right he will be opening himself up to major criticism if it backfires. I think Martial will be on the bench Saturday and Rashford will play up top but something will have to give eventually.

TRUERED89

He was the best player on the pitch v Wolves. Not sure what game you were watching. He was average-poor v Palace and was poor in his finishing v Southampton. Even in the England game, he had a good performance, yet it didn't stop the complaints coming through.

I hate to do this cos he's one of our players, but James was ineffective v Wolves, was poor v Palace (but saved himself from a lot of criticism because of his goal) and was undeniably great v Southampton.

Guarantee that Greenwood and Gomes will face the exact same accusations from the knee jerk among us once they go through a difficult spell.
Okay he created a goal for Martial which was great but was anonymous in the second half. AWB was the best player on the pitch that game and was rightly awarded MOTM. Rashy should start on the right imo!

Withnail

I think Ole will keep much the same formation, provided Martial is fit (fingers fecking crossed).

He's been nominally starting James on the right and Rashford on the left but he wants the front 3 to inter-change a fair bit so I don't think it matters too much.

James started on the right against Southampton but cut in from the left and scored after 10 mins or so.

Enigma_87

You know who
Didn't we have such thread before?

Rashford on the right hasn't really looked good for the short amount of time I've seen him play there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On the right with a roaming role.

James is better at keeping the width and being an outlet on the left.

Rashford can still be dangerous from that side, he just won't play as a traditional winger.

It'll be asking a lot more from Wan Bissaka in terms of attack, but hopefully he can help support.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
On the right.

James has played 4 games for us and his best game came on the left. It’s a small sample size and Ole won’t be making any snap judgements on that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

The reason we sold Lukaku, he is not flexible like the three we have.

This way out of the 3, the one in form can be rewarded and they can rotate all season based on current form.
They havent even master 1 position let alone 2

West Ham?

In all seriousness, hes never been able to play the main striker role very well, and James seems to be making the left his own. If he is to have a real future here he needs to nail down the right sided role. It doesn't look like two strikers are going to be a thing again during his career, which is probably what would suit him best.

Allas8

Rashford will play at Old Trafford this saturday, in Manchester, England