Where would you honestly rank our team?

Enigma_87

You know who
Squad is comfortably top 4 level. Apart Liverpool and City there aren’t that many better, even Spurs.

Under a competent coach and manager we should be top 4.

Our defence is one of the best in the league and whilst the midfield and attack is short it isn’t that much inferior to the likes of other teams especially Chelsea who had a transfer ban.

fps

1st XI? 4th. City, Liverpool, Spurs (with Eriksen) flat-out better.
Squad? 7th/8th.

Gopher Brown

Raw talent wise I think we’re pretty good, if majorly unbalanced.

We seem to have a really poor mentality though. I genuinely do not think our players go out on to the pitch believing they will win games.

Of course, for success you need both. This is why I’m starting to think a long time in the wilderness awaits us.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Only City and Pool are clearly ahead at the moment. Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have had horror 2019s like us and who is better/ worse changes every week depending whos won and whos bottled it again.
3rd to 7th, including Leicester, could end up any one of 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Tier 1
Man City
Liverpool

Tier 2
Spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal

Tier 3
Man Utd
Everton
Leicester

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ole doesn't control the budget, contracts or transfers though.

That's your opinion gone in 9 words.
What are you on about gone in 9 words.. He doesn't control the budget but new what the budget was and spent it all on defense.. He also let 3 midfielders and our only striker leave knowing he isnt going to replace any of them. He is completely lost and so way out of his depth.

MisterLupus

4th-7th at present - with the right reinforcements come January I believe 3rd-5th. Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham are all looking worse than us at present - I'm impressed by Leicester though they'll be tough to top and of course City and Liverpool are in a class of their own at present totally untouchable. Bournemouth and Burnley have definitely eaten their vitamins this summer but come on I can't imagine they'll keep it up throughout the entire season nor we remaining this mediocre and unfortunate that long.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Maguire would walk into both starting XI's
You may be right, I do not think United are really as far away from being a top team again as most people think, If we can keep our current best players and add a top striker , a top class right winger , and a top class midfielder in the next 2 windows we could be right back up there. But I do not believe that Ole is the guy to manage us as he is so obviously lacking as a manager. Anyone who thinks that Ole is the guy to lead us to the top needs his head examined. But we should also not rule out the possibility of a certain Ed Woodward hanging around to throw another spanner in the works. Remember he is still at "The Wheel" and he is right now still the guy who will be in charge of our January transfer dealings, enough to make any United fan sick to the teeth.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
On paper? ~4th-6th

Anybody thinking otherwise is overreacting

That said, as a team you are indeed closer to leicester than liverpool/city. You don't seem to have the confidence and belief of being better than your opponents right now. Need to get a good run of wins to restore some of that

And you are stupidly thin indeed. You basically have no reliable cover at any position...

RC89

Maybe 5/6. But expect us to actually finish about 8th if Oles gonna last the season. I don't think the potential of this team is great as is, but we're performing even worse than that.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Honestly, about on a par with Everton and maybe West Ham. Below all the other big 5, and Leicester.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We are miles behind City and Liverpool. Then in terms of squads, we're behind Spurs too. After that, to me, we're on par with Chelsea and Arsenal so I guess us three battling out 4th, 5th and 6th place.

Having said that, there's also have a few teams who could also break into the top four. Leicester, West Ham. Maybe Bournemouth.
I can't agree that we are on a par with Chelsea. I know we beat them first week but their young players are better than ours. Tomori, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, James, Loftus-Cheek and Abraham. Some real talent coming through. Arsenal are not special at all but their attack makes them dangerous.

Leicester don't have much depth but their first XI looks better than ours in all honesty. It was pretty easy for them to replace Maguire.

INeedAbsynthe

Supports
Liverpool
It’s incredibly difficult to say because it’s such a mismatched mess with no identity or direction.

You could finish anywhere from fourth to eleventh in my opinion. If you stick with Ole I think it will most likely be towards the latter.

You have some amazing quality but I can’t see how you are going to get the best out of them

RedWat

If Chelsea get thumped at home by Liverpool today there will be no focus on the crisis at Chelsea because it's more fun to focus on the disaster that United is.

Chelsea haven't won a home game yet, Spurs are inconsistent and Arsenal are vulnerable too. It will be a 4 way scrap for the 2 spots like last year.

Yes we are pathetic, Ole probably isn't the man for this monumental rebuild. We're miles off Liverpool and City, but so are the others mentioned. We're at a point now where either this bad run is going to swallow the club up and leave us in the wilderness for another 5-10 years, or make the guys at the top realise what needs to be done.
The perception of moving in the right direction is important for any fan. Even though we beat Chelsea 4-0 it is evident that lampard has a system and the players to make a good stab at top 4. Arsenal are nearly bad as us but they have firepower which will enable them to finish above us. The first 11 of both Leicester & West Ham are better than us and Everton’s are close to us so I would on current form say 8th-9th

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Squad is comfortably top 4 level. Apart Liverpool and City there aren’t that many better, even Spurs.

Under a competent coach and manager we should be top 4.

Our defence is one of the best in the league and whilst the midfield and attack is short it isn’t that much inferior to the likes of other teams especially Chelsea who had a transfer ban.
ST
Abraham, Giroud, Batshuayi vs Martial, Rashford, Greenwood
Forwards
Willian, Pedro, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi vs James, Mata, Lingard
Midfielders
Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek vs Pogba, Mctominay, Fred, Matic, Gomes, Andreas

Am I biased if I think our players look a lot better?

4th-7th at present - with the right reinforcements come January I believe 3rd-5th. Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham are all looking worse than us at present - I'm impressed by Leicester though they'll be tough to top and of course City and Liverpool are in a class of their own at present totally untouchable. Bournemouth and Burnley have definitely eaten their vitamins this summer but come on I can't imagine they'll keep it up throughout the entire season nor we remaining this mediocre and unfortunate that long.
Huh? :lol:

el3mel

The worst squad among top 6, managed by the worst manager, supervised by the worst CEO and owned by the worst owners.

You can't make that up.

MisterLupus

Do you really think Chelsea are looking their usual self this season? Well maybe not worse than us - but definitely not better either. Even though our play didn't warrant 4-0 we did beat them quite comfortably. "About the same" then - can we at least agree on that?

The worst squad among top 6, managed by the worst manager, supervised by the worst CEO and owned by the worst owners.

You can't make that up.
And yet you just did. Wow you must be supernatural or something :houllier:

Amerifan

He sold before he knew he could buy, or who he could buy. Which was remarkably thick. He's put us at around 7th when our squad last year was good enough for top 4 had it been coached better.
I’m surprised you think the manager actually sells players, sets the budget, and negotiates transfer fees. He does not. We have people for that.

el3mel

Or you're just being hysteric way beyond what any sane person would consider moronic. There's always that ;)
Worst squad : easy to know why. Decent defense. Non existent midfield and attack. Comparing it to Arsenal and Spurs alone just looks terrible. Chelsea, dare I say, after all their problems, actually look to have a very decent midfield and attack with youth being integrated and actually improving the team.

Worst manager : can't be argued. Even Lampard has a clear style of play and identity that he applied quickly on the pitch. We are the only one among the top 6 who are absolutely clueless with the ball and look awfully coached. Pep, Klopp, Poch, Emery are of course light years ahead of our clueless manager.

Worst CEO : can't be argued too. 6 full years in Ed's reign without a single title challenge, 4 years of out them out of top 4 and this will likely be the 5th in 7 years. 4 managers appointed, loads of money wasted and the squad still dogshite and languishing in midtable.

Worst owners : a tough fight with Arsenal's but I think the Glazers finally managed to take them out and earn the title. Of course comparing them to the owners of City or Pool is kinda an insult to the latter.

pixel

You may be right, I do not think United are really as far away from being a top team again as most people think, If we can keep our current best players and add a top striker , a top class right winger , and a top class midfielder in the next 2 windows we could be right back up there. But I do not believe that Ole is the guy to manage us as he is so obviously lacking as a manager. Anyone who thinks that Ole is the guy to lead us to the top needs his head examined. But we should also not rule out the possibility of a certain Ed Woodward hanging around to throw another spanner in the works. Remember he is still at "The Wheel" and he is right now still the guy who will be in charge of our January transfer dealings, enough to make any United fan sick to the teeth.
You do realise that Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and even Leicester can say basically the same thing? They are all just 3 top class players from being 'back up there'.

We tend to rank our team based on the silly amounts that we have paid for players rather than based on their actual performances. Which causes us to overrate players such as Pogba and Martial. Any objective assessment of our squad wouldn't place us anywhere in the top 6.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Top 6.

You are only as good as your competitors. You can say We have young exciting players, guess what? Our competitors have them too.

You can say We only need to sign a few world class players, They can too.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it should rank 5th/6th at max.

Regalia

Overall, squad strength, depth, coaching, etc. 9th-10th maybe worse.

MisterLupus

Worst squad : easy to know why. Decent defense. Non existent midfield and attack. Comparing it to Arsenal and Spurs alone just looks terrible. Chelsea, dare I say, after all their problems, actually look to have a very decent midfield and attack with youth being integrated and actually improving the team.

Worst manager : can't be argued. Even Lampard has a clear style of play and identity that he applied quickly on the pitch. We are the only one among the top 6 who are absolutely clueless with the ball and look awfully coached. Pep, Klopp, Poch, Emery are of course light years ahead of our clueless manager.

Worst CEO : can't be argued too. 6 full years in Ed's reign without a single title challenge, 4 years of out them out of top 4 and this will likely be the 5th in 7 years. 4 managers appointed, loads of money wasted and the squad still dogshite and languishing in midtable.

Worst owners : a tough fight with Arsenal's but I think the Glazers finally managed to take them out and earn the title. Of course comparing them to the owners of City or Pool is kinda an insult to the latter.
Yet the squad outplayed both Arsenal and Chelsea and also beat Tottenham during our tour (friendlies doesn't mean much but it happened). We're also on equal terms with both Arsenal and Chelsea as far as goal difference is concerned - having played them both - and as for points we've also been unlucky there's no denying that. No it's not as "easy" as you claim it to be - but hey if simplicity works for you then go ahead by all means stay simple. As for worst manager people keep saying we look clueless with no identity whatsoever but truth is we've been the better team in almost every game we've played - parroting a "no clear style" over and over again doesn't make it true. We lack quality up front - should have reinforced during the summer - but that's all separating us from being a decent side right now we've improved on everything else over the summer. CEO... I have no clue what's going on behind closed doors - but neither do you or anyone else most likely. It's pointless for us to discuss - big institutions usually hide their hand in all matters and also - CEOs doing a shit job usually gets the boot especially when there's billions at stake.

For feck's sake you have people moaning we're in danger of relegation and throwing about them superlatives with no root in reality whatsoever. I stand by my assessment - it's hysteria - you're all bonkers. Good luck with that if it makes you happy but personally I don't understand why people choose to pile on the misery it's bad enough as it is without exaggerating :lol:

el3mel

Yet the squad outplayed both Arsenal and Chelsea and also beat Tottenham during our tour (friendlies doesn't mean much but it happened). We're also on equal terms with both Arsenal and Chelsea as far as goal difference is concerned - having played them both - and as for points we've also been unlucky there's no denying that. No it's not as "easy" as you claim it to be - but hey if simplicity works for you then go ahead by all means stay simple. As for worst manager people keep saying we look clueless with no identity whatsoever but truth is we've been the better team in almost every game we've played - parroting a "no clear style" over and over again doesn't make it true. We lack quality up front - should have reinforced during the summer - but that's all separating us from being a decent side right now we've improved on everything else over the summer. CEO... I have no clue what's going on behind closed doors - but neither do you or anyone else most likely. It's pointless for us to discuss - big institutions usually hide their hand in all matters and also - CEOs doing a shit job usually gets the boot especially when there's billions at stake.

For feck's sake you have people moaning we're in danger of relegation and throwing about them superlatives with no root in reality whatsoever. I stand by my assessment - it's hysteria - you're all bonkers. Good luck with that if it makes you happy but personally I don't understand why people choose to pile on the misery it's bad enough as it is without exaggerating :lol:
"Outplayed Arsenal and Chelsea" I don't think you even watched both games if you are saying stuff like this. "Beat Tottenham in friendly" are you even serious? We beat Real Madrid and Barcelona regularly on these tours too. We also beat Inter who have been x10 better than us so far this season.

Maybe try to watch our games first instead and you will understand what all people are saying. Look to me you went to the table to just copy some stats and results we actually know about.

Last edited:

MisterLupus

"Outplayed Arsenal and Chelsea" I don't think you even watched both games if you are saying stuff like this. "Beat Tottenham in friendly" are you even serious? We beat Real Madrid and Barcelona regularly on these tours too. We also beat Inter who are x10 than us so far this season.

Maybe try to watch our games first instead and you will understand what people are saying.
I've seen them all. We beat Chelsea 4-0 and even though we weren't that much better in terms of play it was still a 2-1 game at worst. They had a good first period we dominated them during the second one. And Arsenal? We were better at them in every area of play but then the assistant referee decided to gift them a goal while also denying us a clear penalty. They were extremely lucky to get away with a draw. I already said friendlies don't matter - that I just threw it in there - but I guess you're as bad at analyzing texts as you are at analyzing football games.

MrBrightside1989

Man City / Liverpool
Tottenham
Chelsea
Leicester
Arsenal

I think we come 7th but if we have some luck and improve our form a bit I think 5th is our maximum potential this season. On the other hand if we continue in this slump and Everton/ West Ham put in some consistent performances we could quite conceivably be sitting 9th-10th

el3mel

I've seen them all. We beat Chelsea 4-0 and even though we weren't that much better in terms of play it was still a 2-1 game at worst. They had a good first period we dominated them during the second one. And Arsenal? We were better at them in every area of play but then the assistant referee decided to gift them a goal while also denying us a clear penalty. They were extremely lucky to get away with a draw. I already said friendlies don't matter - that I just threw it in there - but I guess you're as bad at analyzing texts as you are at analyzing football games.
You are the one who is terrible in them, or just watch games through your big red tinted glasses since you also said in your previous post we were better in the majority of our games which indicates either you are watching games of other season or as I said, watch games through your red tinted glasses.

Zouma gifted us a pen against in Chelsea against the run of play. We got 2 successive goals in a row before a goal at the end after they collapsed. Nothing in this indicates "outplaying". We might or might not deserved the win but everyone and his dog who watched the match know the result flattered us and it was said here too after the match by many.

As for Arsenal game, the first half was crap from both teams in every regard with each of them doing comical mistakes, miss passes and losing the ball cheaply. We got a goal at the end of the half thanks to an individual skill of a long range shot + deflection. They equalized earlier in the second half and had a period of domination that they could have scored the second anytime. We improved later on but how many critical chances did we create, about one? (Scott header) maybe a grand total or 2 or so. Again nothing looks like "out playing". It was mostly an even game or even crap between both teams.

The assistant gifted them a goal? Seriously? The goal was 100% correct and it was the assistant that ruled it Offside even with Maguire in front of him clearly keeping the player onside, with the VAR giving them the goal. Are you just giving me more evidence you don't even watch matches?

MisterLupus

You are the one who is terrible in them, or just watch games through your big red tinted glasses since you also said in your previous post we were better in the majority of our games which indicates either you are watching games of other season or as I said, watch games through your red tinted glasses.

Zouma gifted us a pen against in Chelsea against the run of play. We got 2 successive goals in a row before a goal at the end after they collapsed. Nothing in this indicates "outplaying". We might or might not deserved the win but everyone and his dog who watched the match know the result flattered us and it was said here too after the match by many.

As for Arsenal game, the first half was crap from both teams in every regard with each of them doing comical mistakes, miss passes and losing the ball cheaply. We got a goal at the end of the half thanks to an individual skill of a long range shot + deflection. They equalized earlier in the second half and had a period of domination that they could have scored the second anytime. We improved later on but how many critical chances did we create, about one? (Scott header) maybe a grand total or 2 or so. Again nothing looks like "out playing". It was mostly an even game or even crap between both teams.

The assistant gifted them a goal? Seriously? The goal was 100% correct and it was the assistant that ruled it Offside even with Maguire in front of him clearly keeping the player onside, with the VAR giving them the goal. Are you just giving me more evidence you don't even watch matches?
I already said the Chelsea result was flattering - but we've already established that you can't read so no worries mate. Nobody's perfect. We were still the better team overall though - we deserved to win even if not by four goals. Same with Arsenal - the better team was us and here even the stats prove it. The assistant gifted them that goal by calling for an offside that was never even close to being one - and this put our players off their game. You could even see them reacting to it awaiting the whistle rather than keeping their shape - acting confused (De Gea in particular). When you raise the flag you also draw the awareness of the outfield players - for a few brief moments they were distracted by this and that's all it took. It opened up the chance and he executed it perfectly. And that was never even close to being an offside so why that flag was raised is beyond everyone I think. And yeah we were also denied a clear penalty - that hands was of the obvious kind.

But even if we don't agree which team was better in those games - certainly you agree we were on par with them - which would negate your whole "we're obviously the worst of the top six" hysteria of yours? Or would you say we were totally outplayed in those games?