Where would you rank this Man City side now?

RochaRoja

City domestically are unreal at the moment. 198 points in 2 seasons is phenomenal, the football they play is on another level, they are relentless. They’ll be expected to repeat the feat next season and rightly so be favourites to do so in all 3 domestic comps.

United 93-96 were pretty good domestically, people will argue the strength of the league back then but winning the double twice, is a fine achievement.
94 PL winners FA cup Winners LC Runners up
95 PL 2nd FA cup Runners up
96 PL winners FA cup Winners

Europe then become the one SAF wanted, we didn’t have the squad depth of a modern day Man City to compete on 4 fronts, so whilst the League was the number one priority, SAF gave less importance to the domestic cups.

United have won 3 PL’s in a row on 2 separate occasions and from 06-13 won 5 out of 7, losing one by a single point and one by goal difference. Adding a CL and 2 league cups in that time.

Whilst City are domestic top dogs for now, and have overcome the first hurdle by winning back to back titles, I think we’re still a way from calling them the best ever. We could be here in 2 years time, City have won 4 in a row, then they’ll be no doubt to where they rank domestically.
06-13 is way too big of a sample size though, a team’s typical cycle is around three to four seasons. United of 06-07 and 12-13 is no more the same side as City 11-12 and 18-19 are the same side. There are common links but they are very different teams.

Next season will be the litmus test of whether the current City (2017-20) is a goat side or just a very good domestic one.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
4 English teams are in the European finals, never done before and never done by another country. What's more, the champions are not one of those 4 teams. The league is at its competitive best but people are reluctant to admit it because the best 2 teams are City and Liverpool.

Apart from the 2000s when we had more english teams in the competition, for longer, across more years you mean.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nah. City have blown away every one of their records and the league was not particularly competitive. Arsenal’s “Invincibles” shat the bed after losing at OT, United in third was, for my money, the worst Fergie team of the PL era and in fourth place was a really poor Everton side.

Big Sam’s Bolton were three points off the Champions League places and McClaren’s Boro were only three points behind them in 7th. The league was unquestionably weaker in 2004-05 than it is today.

You only have to look at the for and against columns to see the difference.

Teams today simply cannot defend.

Bobski

Their depth is ridiculous. I can't help but think that the PL would be even better if guys like Mahrez, Sane and co were out at other teams competing against City rather than playing squad player minutes. I think De Bruyne is their best player but they still destroyed the league with him in and out all season.

They have to win in Europe though, and show that they can do something more than just overwhelm with attacking talent. That is on Pep though, his loaded Bayern teams failed in the same way. Still easily deserve to be compared with Utd 99/08, the Arsenal invincible teams and those great early Chelsea teams under Mourinho.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If they do a PL/CL double next season, then they have to be considered to be one of the best ever. Right now, they can't rank higher than 98-01 or 06-09 United sides due to choking in Europe. Winning 3 in a row with a Champions League title hasn't been matched by anyone in the PL era. For me, that's what sets those two United sides apart from the rest.

In terms of man for man and depth, they're probably better than anyone that has come before, but comparing players and squad sizes from now to those in 1999 or even 2008 probably isn't as fair of a barometer as actual achievements. They're a Champions League title away from being equal to or greater than the best ever IMO.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Right now I'd say they have surpassed Arse's 2004 Invincibles in terms of domestic lordship, but Utd (twice) and Chelsea remain the ones who succeeded both in England and Europe.

starman

Looking at their cup runs, its crazy how easy it was, the first time they meet a top team in any of the cups, they either lose or they can only win on penalties.

Having a easy run in one competition is one thing, but 3 is insane amounts of 'luck'? :rolleyes:

Bobski

It seems like you’re underrating De Bruyne to be honest. Giggs was a very good passer but De Bruyne is incredible. One of the best I’ve ever seen.
I think De Bruyne would comfortably be seen as a top 10 player in the world if he could stay fit. Can run with the ball and dribble very well, if not at the level of wingers, but also passes and crosses at an elite level. Add to that the high tempo he likes to play at and he is like an evolved version of Beckham, just an exceptional footballer.

purgethefallen

I just disagree with first two points entirely. Agüero’s a much better player than peak Torres or Rooney for me. Torres in particular is very overrated based on a couple of good seasons.

The Ronaldinho and Cristiano points are different as both were the best player in the world at one point and Cristiano is an all time great of the sport. Of course they’d be the best in the PL/top three in the world. Torres and Rooney were never at that level.
Torres and Rooney were absolutely the best, or one of, in the world. Both were better than current Aguero.

Guy Incognito

Nah. City have blown away every one of their records and the league was not particularly competitive. Arsenal’s “Invincibles” shat the bed after losing at OT, United in third was, for my money, the worst Fergie team of the PL era and in fourth place was a really poor Everton side.

Big Sam’s Bolton were three points off the Champions League places and McClaren’s Boro were only three points behind them in 7th. The league was unquestionably weaker in 2004-05 than it is today.
The league or the gulf between the top and bottom sides?

Jose's first Chelsea side raised the bar in winning a league title. That was the blueprint all the champions have since followed and adapted to. That every point counts. They only lost one match that campaign and conceded only 15.

I definitely think if Mourinho had that Chelsea side now, even before he signed Essien, they would have a way of beating City.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amongst the best for sure. You could argue the league as a whole was stronger during Arsenal's invincibles, Chelsea's 04-05 and our 07-08, but 198 points in 2 seasons is absolutely incredible.

I think they definitely have the best squad in PL history. I still think Chelsea's 04-05 is the best starting eleven ever. Just an absolutely unstoppable machine. Once they got a goal I'd turn the tv off because you just knew it was game over. I think they only conceded about 12 goals or something all season.

Treble

Apart from the 2000s when we had more english teams in the competition, for longer, across more years you mean.
2000s? No CL finalist from 99/00 to 03/04, English teams were quite unimpressive in Europe in that period, far behind Spain and Italy and probably behind Germany as well. The irony is that you have the Invincibles as better than this City team but the PL was in one of its worst periods regarding European competitions back then. The Invincibles had no competition in the league in 03/04 and folded once Jose took over Chelsea. Arsenal won 173 pts in 03-05 - that's 25 pts less than City 17-19. The latter's numbers are on a completely different level in a period when English teams are actually reaching finals in Europe.

In 2018 England became the first country with 5 teams in the last 16 of the CL, this year the first country with 4 finalists in Europe. The last 2 seasons are way more successful for English teams than in the early 00's when Arsenal were at their best.

07-09 were incredible years for the top 4 in the CL, better than the last two seasons. But no English team made it to the Uefa Cup final. Now you have a top 6, not a top 4, and the 5th and the 6th teams now are better than the 5th and 6th teams back in 07-09.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Winning the PL back to back as well as the domestic treble has lifted City's standing, these are two significant achievements. Until they win the CL together with the other primary domestic trophies then they are one step behind us. Also we won the PL three times on the run 07/08/09 and might have had a fourth-timer, but for the Green and Gold kerfuffle over the Glazers. So City are still behind our record...but catching up, making their mark and will probably do a treble PL next year. Although Kompany's leaving might have a bigger impact than people think it will!

Needham

I'd rank them No1 among the 21st century New Money Clubs. They're achieving better results and football than Chelsea and PSG.

led_scholes

They did not even reach the semis in CL. Whoever says that they are the best team in the history of PL does not understand what effort a team makes to conquer both the domestic and the european title. The fell short when it mattered last season too. This City side is at least one or two clicks behind 99 and 08.

led_scholes

I'd rank them No1 among the 21st century New Money Clubs. They're achieving better results and football than Chelsea and PSG.
I disagree. Chelsea was an instant european force taking out the likes of Barcelona etc. City chokes when it has faced a strong opponent. Monaco, Lpool and Tottenham were the outsiders but outplayed them.

Kemizee

Obsessing over points totals is dumb. Always has been, always will be. City getting 100 and 98 points is excellent of course, but it absolutely 100% pales in comparison to any trophy on top of a title. So many examples of points totals not being comparable in the slightest between seasons, yet it's ridiculous how often people bring it up.
  • United in 2007/2008 got 87 points, won the double, had the best defensive unit in the world and the best player in the world. Were unlucky not to win the FA Cup too.
  • United on 2011/12 finished on 89 points, even though they bottled 8 points in the last few games. Knocked out of CL groups, 2nd in PL, no cups.
  • United in 12/13 bought Van Persie finished on 89 points like the previous season, worse goal difference, yet walked to the title and were a better team by a mile compared to the previous year.
  • And the obvious, United in 1999 finished on 79 points only, but won the treble.
Can keep going on and on. Yeah, it's a big achievement for City getting this many points back to back, and they get in the discussion for the best sides. But they quite simply failed at the very top level of world football and got no further in the CL then we have gotten the last few years. All well and good being a ruthless machine, but it doesnt mean much at the end of the day if you can't raise your performance in the big cup games.

Basically - United 99 and 2008 have to be 1 and 2. No discussion. City have the best shout at being #3, but theres a far bigger difference between Uniteds top 2 and the rest, compared to the difference between City, Arsenal invincibles and Mourinhos Chelsea. 3 title wins in a row for both United sides, CL winners for both. 1999 team got to the CL quarter finals in the 2 other seasons of their 3 titles, 2008 team reached a CL semi and a CL final in the other 2 title winning seasons. The list goes on. Having a flawless record against the teams you should be beating (incredible consistency) doesn't make you better though than succeeding at the top level, which is the Champions League. And just winning the CL but not the league doesnt put you in there either. Has to be all of it. We're talking about the best, so how can one possibly be ranked as the best when they couldn't even win the biggest trophy?
All of this....

Needham

I disagree. Chelsea was an instant european force taking out the likes of Barcelona etc. City chokes when it has faced a strong opponent. Monaco, Lpool and Tottenham were the outsiders but outplayed them.
True that City are yet to crack the CL. But that's because there's an Islamophobic UEFA conspiracy against the club. Check out their forums to learn the truth.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What? They got knocked out by a mediocre Liverpool side in 04-05 that out-cynical'd them, and the eventual winners, Barcelona, the following season.

wattsy7

Unless this Liverpool team that lost ONE game all season (narrowly away at City) would suddenly start dropping points against the dross of the early Premier League then I don’t see how that’s even a plausible thought.

Fergie’s teams traditionally never go started until Christmas, by which point this Liverpool team would be about 20 points clear.
I don’t think it’s a plausible thought to think they would achieve their points tally of this year in any year pre 2013/14. I don’t even think this Liverpool side is any better than the 2008/09 one.

I just disagree with first two points entirely. Agüero’s a much better player than peak Torres or Rooney for me. Torres in particular is very overrated based on a couple of good seasons.

The Ronaldinho and Cristiano points are different as both were the best player in the world at one point and Cristiano is an all time great of the sport. Of course they’d be the best in the PL/top three in the world. Torres and Rooney were never at that level.
Aguero ‘much better’ than Rooney? I’m beginning to think you didn’t start watching football until about 2012.

led_scholes

What? They got knocked out by a mediocre Liverpool side in 04-05 that out-cynical'd them, and the eventual winners, Barcelona, the following season.
Liverpool reaching 2 finals in a space of 3 years proves, imo, that it was not a mediocre team.

wattsy7

Finishing with only 58 pts from 38 league games in 2005 when they won the CL proves the opposite.
If anything it proves how much more difficult the Premier League was during that time, Liverpool in 05 & 07 achieved only 58 & 68 points in the league whilst reaching the Champions League final. 2 Champions League finals in 3 years is no fluke, that was a good team.

Treble

If anything it proves how much more difficult the Premier League was during that time, Liverpool in 05 & 07 achieved only 58 & 68 points in the league whilst reaching the Champions League final. 2 Champions League finals in 3 years is no fluke, that was a good team.
They were a hard to beat cup team. It proves nothing about the difficulty of the league.

Now you have 4 English teams in both European finals. Doesn't this show that the league is difficult? How performances in Europe in 2000's shows something about the quality of the league but not in 2019 when the English teams are the best in Europe?

led_scholes

It does not. It proves they were a good cup team.

The CL is a cup. A cup. A cup.

A non-mediocre team does not finish outside of the top 4 and paces off the top.
I dunno, i would consider them a really good team (not among the topt5) woth obvious shortcomings. A mediocre team in my eyes is more something like Arsenal in this decade (or us post fergie..)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I dunno, i would consider them a really good team (not among the topt5) woth obvious shortcomings. A mediocre team in my eyes is more something like Arsenal in this decade (or us post fergie..)
Ok maybe it is just terminology differences. That Liverpool side was not elite. This Liverpool side would wipe the floor with that side. And my opinion wouldn't change if this Liverpool lost to Spurs in the final.

ExecutionerWasp001

So with the PL being so weak at the moment (in your opinion), would you still say it was the strongest league in the world?

And how strong was the EPL back in ‘99 when the treble winners were present and in comparison to other European leagues?
What has comparing the PL to say La Liga got to do with anything. We are talking about solely the PL.

The league was harder to win in the late 90's 00's due to most teams at least attempting to play & there being no long term financial doping. Blackburn & Chelsea did buy the league but drastically curbed their spending after a few years.

We are now in a situation where teams go into games against City having no intention to play. As City have spent so much money they can tire out opposition who refuse to engage. They can then bring on players of the same quality to complete the job. No other team in the league enjoys these kinds of advantages. This is resulting in the huge points & goals tallies City are racking up.

Camilo

Best team I've seen in a long time. Barcelona were one thing, but there was always a hint of Messi tying it all together. City now are a force. A more direct and penetrative version of that Barcelona team. Who knows if they'll win the champions league - sort of doesn't matter - they're already right up there.

wattsy7

They were a hard to beat cup team. It proves nothing about the difficulty of the league.

Now you have 4 English teams in both European finals. Doesn't this show that the league is difficult? How performances in Europe in 2000's shows something about the quality of the league but not in 2019 when the English teams are the best in Europe?
It proves that points in the league were much harder to come by back then. A team who gets 58 pts in the Premier League these days would not be good enough to compete in the Champions League, let alone beat an all time great AC Milan side.

This and all the other points I’ve made in this thread point towards the teams below the top 6 being weaker now than 10/15 years ago. Therefore, I can’t put Man City as the best Premier League team ever just because they’ve got record points tallies.

Ok maybe it is just terminology differences. That Liverpool side was not elite. This Liverpool side would wipe the floor with that side. And my opinion wouldn't change if this Liverpool lost to Spurs in the final.
I disagree that the Current Liverpool team would ‘wipe the floor’ with Liverpool of 10/15 years ago, I think if they played 10 games against each other it would be fairly even.

Best team I've seen in a long time. Barcelona were one thing, but there was always a hint of Messi tying it all together. City now are a force. A more direct and penetrative version of that Barcelona team. Who knows if they'll win the champions league - sort of doesn't matter - they're already right up there.
So you think the current City side is as good as arguably the greatest club side of all time? I don’t think it’s any better than Peps Bayern.

Anyway, out of posts for the day.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
It’s easy for me. 10 points for EPL, 6 for CL, 3 for FAC, 1 for a LC.
MUFC 1999, 19
MUFC 2008, 16
MCFC 2019, 14

and so on. Lots of teams have done the league and fac double for 13 points so I’d definitely put their achievements in 3rd place overall.

Sorry for the scientific approach but that’s me.

Whatever way you slice and dice it, the current City side is amongst the greatest ever in English football. To become the first side to win a domestic treble is an outstanding achievement. Yes, there's the issue of the financial doping etc, and let's see where UEFA go with that, but you still have to go out and win all your games. We came within one game of the domestic treble back in 1994; close but no cigar. We've had several of the greatest ever English sides, and the current City team must be in that kind of company, along with the great Liverpool sides of the late seventies and eighties, Spurs double side of 1961, Arsenal invincibles, Leeds of the early seventies, Mourinho's Chelsea, plus one or two others. All fantastic teams.

RochaRoja

Aguero ‘much better’ than Rooney? I’m beginning to think you didn’t start watching football until about 2012.
Seen both from a young age. Rooney when he broke through at Everton and Agüero since his move to Atlético.

Agüero has been way more consistent over his career and is simply a better striker.

RochaRoja

Liverpool reaching 2 finals in a space of 3 years proves, imo, that it was not a mediocre team.
The 2005 team was definitely a mediocre team. 2007 was a much better side. They’d already established the Alonso-Mascherano-Gerrard axis, and Agger, Reina, Kuyt and Aurélio had come into the side. It was only Torres away from being their 2008-09 team.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
So Pep just came out with this declaration.

"“I know we will be judged at the end on whether we win the Champions League,” said Guardiola. “I know unless we do that it will not be enough. "

To the surprise of no one. Pep made the point that so many posters here are making.
No. It was a long term strategy by the owners. He got hired to implement a specific playing style and improve the team for the long term. The owners specifically stated that it was a long term plan and honestly it looks like it's coming to fruition.

You should also know about "City Football Group" and their idea of buying up a bunch of clubs to implement the principle of "the City Way" using Guardiola's philosophy.

They're trying to build a dynasty with improvements each year and this is what is happening. I think they think they will eventually win the CL.

Also, Pellegrini and the rest did actually get fired when they didn't win the PL. We can all make up things and go by rumors but these were the actual objectives given to Pep before it all started.

Like Guardiola has said countless times, he actually didn't get hired to win the CL and his actions showed that he wasn't lying when he prioritized winning the PL over Liverpool by resting players in the CL.

Pep will disagree with you. Here is his thoughts on what he was hired to do and how he will be judged.

"

"“I know we will be judged at the end on whether we win the Champions League,” said Guardiola. “I know unless we do that it will not be enough. This comes with me. I know that."

So Pep just pretty much stated it will not be enough unless he wins the Champions League. To be honest, this has been common sense all along. No club in Europe hire a manager to build a domestic dynasty with zero ambitions of Europe. That makes no sense.

Even Pep knows, unless you win the CL along with multiple PL'S. You CANNOT be compared to the great teams of the past. This might not seem 'fair' but it is what it is.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
2000s? No CL finalist from 99/00 to 03/04, English teams were quite unimpressive in Europe in that period, far behind Spain and Italy and probably behind Germany as well. The irony is that you have the Invincibles as better than this City team but the PL was in one of its worst periods regarding European competitions back then. The Invincibles had no competition in the league in 03/04 and folded once Jose took over Chelsea. Arsenal won 173 pts in 03-05 - that's 25 pts less than City 17-19. The latter's numbers are on a completely different level in a period when English teams are actually reaching finals in Europe.

In 2018 England became the first country with 5 teams in the last 16 of the CL, this year the first country with 4 finalists in Europe. The last 2 seasons are way more successful for English teams than in the early 00's when Arsenal were at their best.

07-09 were incredible years for the top 4 in the CL, better than the last two seasons. But no English team made it to the Uefa Cup final. Now you have a top 6, not a top 4, and the 5th and the 6th teams now are better than the 5th and 6th teams back in 07-09.
Strongly disagree. It's not a top 6 in any sense of the word other than literal. Technically United/Arsenal/Chelsea are part of the 'top 6'. Standings wise. But calling them a 'top 6' indicate they are on some elite tier. They are not. Aston Villa and Everton in 08 could have easily taken points off of Arsenal/Chelsea/ and United. In fact, I will favor both clubs to beat United of 2019 7 out of 10 times. City's run have been helped by the incredible decline of United/Chelsea/Arsenal.