Where would you rank this Man City side now?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Of the Premier League era?

Better than Uniteds treble side or 06-09 side? Above Mourinho's 04-06 Chelsea side? Better than the invincibles?

ToToMarshall

Of the Premier League era?

Better than Uniteds treble side or 06-09 side? Above Mourinho's 04-06 Chelsea side? Better than the invincibles?
I had them down as better than the invincibles and Mourinho’s Chelsea team after last season to be honest. Something special about winning the Champions League and Premier League in the same season though, gives a side an extra special aura for me.

On balance of achievements and quality of the team, I’d have them as 3rd or maybe even the 2nd best PL team ever. 1999 will always be the best until someone matches/betters it.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
They need to concur Europe with the league to be on the same level as 99 and 08.
Impossible with this squad. We don't have the quality to do both in the same year. The best way to do it is what we are doing now. Win the League twice in a row, than go all out for the CL next year and miss the League. Than back to League and so on. People over estimate the current City squad, making it like some sort of juggernaut all time great side filled with iconic players..... If we had made it into the CL Semi and had to play Ajax for two games, we might have dropped points and lost the PL. Look at the league/CL double of the last 10-15 years. We are looking at teams that include Ronaldinho/Eto, Messi/Iniesta/Xavi, Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney/Rio/Vidic, Neuer/Ribery/Robben/Basten and so on. There is no way our squad is on par with those mentioned.

Reactions: Sultan

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
They're the best domestic side in premier league history, so I would rank them above Mourinho's Chelsea and Wenger's Arsenal but behind the two United sides that won the league and champions league.

Theonas

Scout
How can anyone put them behind Chelsea or Arsenal teams? Their numbers and higher, not to mention, the quality of football they are playing. They are achieving all of this with a style and a profile of players that many claimed impossible to work in the PL. The only valid argument against them is the CL which makes our treble and double winners the only sides to have a legitimate claim for being better.

Treble

How can anyone put them behind Chelsea or Arsenal teams? Their numbers and higher, not to mention, the quality of football they are playing. They are achieving all of this with a style and a profile of players that many claimed impossible to work in the PL. The only valid argument against them is the CL which makes our treble and double winners the only sides to have a legitimate claim for being better.
I'd go with this. Better than Arsenal 02-04 and Cheslea 04-06 but inferior to United 99 and 08 because of the CL.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
They were already better than the 'Invincibles' (who lost something like 5 or 6 games in other competitions) last season. Doing it two years in a row has now moved them ahead of Chelsea's 04-06.

The fact that they haven't done it in europe (not even making a final) has them still behind our two great teams.

RochaRoja

At PL level they’re clearly the best there’s ever been. Obviously they need a CL to be considered the overall greatest side but they’re already very close.

Top 5. Their points tally achievement puts them on par with the Invincibles and Mourinho's Chelsea but that's where it ends. The league is just coming out of a fairly poor period, and a fairly poor period of football in general. They need to achieve in Europe and against top level competition to be considered any higher than that. United's two greatest teams are a level above, having done both those things.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
99 points average with something like average 102 Goa's scored and 25 conceded over 2 seasons
That's basically winning 31 games, drawing six and loosing 1 with an average of 2.68 goals scored and 0.65 conceded

In supposedly the strongest league in the world

Genuinely think this is the strongest team ever in the pl... I'm just hoping they continue to gash it up in the champions league and that guardiola get homesick soon

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I hate to say but they're the best of all time. Drop them in any PL season and they win the league. Head to head they're tactically way ahead of the United/Chelsea/Arsenal teams you're comparing them to. They'd simply over run the possession against any of those teams.

feck knows how they've managed to fluff the CL twice because they've been the best in Europe for 2 seasons now.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd put them second behind the 08 team, if they win the league next year though it's hard to debate against them not being the best ever.

Worryingly, I can see Liverpool overtaking them domestically and in Europe in the next couple of years... :nervous:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Best ever premier league team, total dominance of the league and increased the standard to a standard never seen before

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Impossible with this squad. We don't have the quality to do both in the same year.
Significantly weaker Liverpool side is 2 points and 1 game away from winning the double. You were centimeters away from going through to the semis. It’s definitely not “impossible”.

Perhaps this City teams doesn’t have stars like Messi or Ronaldo, but it has one of the most stacked squads of all time. Only Walker and Ederson don’t have a top replacement waiting on the bench.

Steve Bruce

I'd put them second behind the 08 team, if they win the league next year though it's hard to debate against them not being the best ever.

Worryingly, I can see Liverpool overtaking them domestically and in Europe in the next couple of years... :nervous:
I genuinely don't see this. This year was their year and they blew it. I can't see them being as consistent next season and won't hit 90 points.

Their team is much better than the sum of their parts and over worked parts will start to break down. They'll be their or their abouts but imo they'll not reach the level of consistency as this season

RooneyLegend

Significantly weaker Liverpool side is 2 points and 1 game away from winning the double. You were centimeters away from going through to the semis. It’s definitely not “impossible”.

Perhaps this City teams doesn’t have stars like Messi or Ronaldo, but it has one of the most stacked squads of all time. Only Walker and Ederson don’t have a top replacement waiting on the bench.
Crazy statement given try got knocked out by Spurs in a match they should have won by a bigger margin. Lady luck and Pep's foolishness in the first leg stopped them this season. Last season was different as Pool genuinely had their number. That poster acts as though they need their best players to win every Prem game which isn't the case.

Josh 76

Impossible with this squad. We don't have the quality to do both in the same year. The best way to do it is what we are doing now. Win the League twice in a row, than go all out for the CL next year and miss the League. Than back to League and so on. People over estimate the current City squad, making it like some sort of juggernaut all time great side filled with iconic players..... If we had made it into the CL Semi and had to play Ajax for two games, we might have dropped points and lost the PL. Look at the league/CL double of the last 10-15 years. We are looking at teams that include Ronaldinho/Eto, Messi/Iniesta/Xavi, Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney/Rio/Vidic, Neuer/Ribery/Robben/Basten and so on. There is no way our squad is on par with those mentioned.
Liverpool were a kompany "once in a lifetime' goal away from PL and CL double. So don't give me this crap. The only reason you guys fecked up in Europe was that Pep went for the micky mouse trophies. Maybe he needs to learn from Klopp in a way and feck them off to conquer Europe.

AaronRedDevil

Still below the invincibles and the 08 United squad. Its Not that they are that good. Its because the PL is weak at the moment. There's always only 2 competitors. Those 2 squad would embarrass them because they'd have there sh*t together.

superdry

touched by a genius
Still below the invincibles and the 08 United squad. Its Not that they are that good. Its because the PL is weak at the moment. There's always only 2 competitors. Those 2 squad would embarrass them because they'd have there sh*t together.
If the PL is weak the rest of Europe must have died.

crossy1686

career ending
I genuinely don't see this. This year was their year and they blew it. I can't see them being as consistent next season and won't hit 90 points.

Their team is much better than the sum of their parts and over worked parts will start to break down. They'll be their or their abouts but imo they'll not reach the level of consistency as this season
Perhaps not but if they add another goalscorer up front, or depth in the midfield and defence, they'll be stronger again. They had some amazing momentum this season that will be hard to replicate but I can't see City doing another 90+ point total either. VAR is also going to have a big impact next season.

Castia

Probably the best ever, 198 points in 2 seasons is next level.

That being said we aren't all steamrolled by a family of multi-billionaires, the achievements of United and Arsenal were self made.

Castia

The PL is weak :houllier:

You must be on a wum, It's the probably strongest it's ever been.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Purely domestically they're the best ever, you can't argue against that. I think we'll probably fall away a bit next season and the league will become a bit more akin to Italy, Germany and France. If Pep stays (and I don't see where else he would go, as City have always been a touted destination for him whereas there's nowhere else mentioned like that) I see them smashing the three in a row record for title wins, I've a feeling we're on for five in a row. Can't see who else catches them if the season we put together wasn't enough; Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal aren't having an 100 point season any time soon and that's City's level for the forseeable.

Also, have no idea what people are on trying to argue the league is weak at the moment. Teams up and down are stacked with international players, it's just that the very top is at a level never seen before.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They're the best ever EPL side it's not even a debate. And they'll win it again next season. I'm getting tired tbh.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
They're the best ever team in the PL, but it's very hard to compare because the teams in positions 7-20 can't compete any more, no matter what Sky tell us.

In the very first PL season, Aston Villa were 2nd, Norwich were 3rd, QPR were 5th and regularly finished near the top of the table, and Sheffield Wednesday were 7th and reached two cup finals. Who were in the next four spots? Tottenham, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Arsenal scored the least goals in the division, and lost more games than they won, and their fans still considered it to be a successful season because they won two cups. Can you imagine that today?

So much has changed. Although I do consider this City side to be the best team in terms of pure quality, I don't consider their achievement of winning back-to-back leagues to be anything special or even noteworthy.

Even the 100-point season is not that big a deal, as 90% of their games are against teams that have far less funding, who they should beat. Two teams went close to that mark again this season, whereas in the three seasons between 1996 and 1999, in the early days of the PL, no team reached 80 points.

The 1993-94 United side is often forgotten because they didn't win the CL. In fact, although it was already called the Champions League back then, United went out that season without playing in a league! But I think their achievement of putting 92 points on the board at that time is just as good as City's 100-point season, because they genuinely had tough games most weeks. They won 13, drew 1, and lost 1 of their first 15 games, and then went another 14 games unbeaten after that. I personally think that was the best United team in the PL era.

I think they would have lost to this City team, which is playing a different style and quality of football, and they weren't prepared for European competition. But City are playing in a league in which in the overwhelming majority of games the opposition poses no threat to them. The only thing you're waiting to see is whether or not City will break down their blanket defence. It wasn't like that 25 years ago, or before the PL was formed.

Web of Bissaka

Overall/Europe Competitions.
1. United Treble and 08
---
2. City
3. Arsenal Invincibles

Domestic competitions (league and the two cups)
1. City (two seasons domination in a row in all three competitions)
2. United Treble 99 (balancing between three competitions - CL, League and FA Cup, all at the end of the season is way damn toughest)
3. United Double 08 (balancing between two highest competitions - CL and League while winning both is damn tough)
4. Arsenal Invincibles (they're undefeated in the league only, not cups, in one season)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's a hard one, obviously based on points alone they're the best, clearly. However unlike our 98/99 and 07/08 sides they haven't navigated Europe as well and when comparing their domestic cup runs the fixtures have been way kinder than ours were in either of those two seasons (they've also had fortunes of luck within the ties themselves which we didn't get in 08 when we went out of the FA Cup to Portsmouth)

Very fine margins though and City fans will no doubt point to the points totals as equalling what we accomplished in Europe

They're certainly ahead of the Chelsea and Arsenal league winners though

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Looking at it just from a domestic POV, they're obviously the greatest Premier League team ever.

However in the grand scheme of things, they're still behind United considering the PL+CL double is more valuable than the domestic treble and you guys did it twice in 10 years.

Should they win the CL and PL next season they'd undoubtedly be the greatest ever.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I think domestically this team know how to win, they are the best I’ve ever seen at turning up consistently every single week, arriving every 3 or 4 days to put on 8/10 performances that will win 90% of games. I still think the side lacks the back to back 10/10 performances required to get through the latter stages of the CL, but other factors come into play like atmosphere at the ground and things.

I’d have this side in the top 3 with the CL/PL double winning sides, certainly better than Chelsea and the Invincibles, but we must remember this side isn’t finished yet. They are still going and may well go on to cement themselves as the standout best ever next season building on the last two years. If the same group go on to conquer Europe or throw in another 100 Point season next year then they are remarkable.

Robertd0803

United 99 and 08 will always be top.

Current City edge just ahead of 04/05 Chelsea but as both were bankrolled by crazy investment and they would never have acheived it themselves then they dont count anyway.

Id put Leicester second after our two Champions League winning seasons to be honest.

Robertd0803

Very fine margins though and City fans will no doubt point to the points totals as equalling what we accomplished in Europe
That would be the City fans grasping at straws then. I think Ive seen Utd win the league 13 times in my lifetime and I couldnt tell you what points totals we ended up with any season without guessing.

Id rather win the league with 80 points and win the CL than win with 99+ points and no European success.

But then again I tend to be very dismissive of Citys acheivements anyway.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Now they've won 2 on the bounce, City have to mentioned as 1 of the best ever unfortunately. Need to improve in Europe mind.

cyberman

Two other sides reaching record breaking points total within the last couple of season puts this in perspective for me.
Europe lets them down, especially when lesser English sides are dumping them out.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Until they win a CL no one cares.

They're probably the most dominant domestic side in the BPL's history the last two seasons though?

Coxy

This is why I wanted Liverpool to win the league over City - watching match of the day last night they said they thought this was the best side of the Premier League era. If they hadn't won it back to back then they wouldn't be so sure.

For me, our treble side still triumphs - but I'm biased.