21/22: Buy someone.2 to partner someone who was bought to partner Maguire
We are to CBs what Man City are to fullbacks

CM

16/17: Buy Bailly to partner Blind
17/18: Buy Lindelof to partner Bailly
19/20: Buy Maguire to partner Lindelof
20/21: Buy someone to partner Maguire
None of those partnerships were conclusively better than Smalling & Blind either, who complemented eachother the best out of any of them. Best part of £200m later...

Paul_Scholes18

None of those partnerships were conclusively better than Smalling & Blind either, who complemented eachother the best out of any of them. Best part of £200m later...
The answer was already at the club for a long time. Evans,Smalliing and Jones.

EnelDoobacabra

I personally fully expect us to line up with Maguire and Lindelof again next season despite their weaknesses. I foresee us making Smalling and Rojo's deals permanent, and maybe maybe ditching Jones to West Ham if the Moyes rumours are true. But I think these funds will be used on Grealish.

I think if we are going to be signing a CB (which we very well still may) it's going to be Joe Rodon as a "youth prospect" to play backup alongside Axel and Bailly.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yep, that season is still comfortably the best partnership we've had since the end of Rio and Vidic. This season's effort from Maguire and Lindelof is the second best, although part of that is it's the only other season where we haven't had constant injuries changing our partnership every month.

16/17: Buy Bailly to partner Blind
17/18: Buy Lindelof to partner Bailly
19/20: Buy Maguire to partner Lindelof
20/21: Buy someone to partner Maguire
I dont know why we even sold Blind, Jose didnt have any patience smdh

jamesjimmybyrondean

That's a very interesting twitter thread.

Upamecano comes out of it looking very good indeed. It's a shame that his partner Konate isn't included to see how he compares.
Konate was injured for a long time this season. Don't think clubs will be rushing for him this window

angusaa07

Surely the question should be which 2 new centre halfs should we buy. Maguire is a truly shocking defender. In fact every one of the centre halfs we have are not of the required standard.

#CR7

Can't realistically think of many CB's that fit the profile.

I suspect we will probably sign someone like Ake who gives us more reliable depth but I don't expect him to pull up any trees.

Really hope Tuanzebe can stay fit next season because he has the potential to be class.