Television Which console as a temporary media/app station?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So we don't have any internet outside of our phones until they come and sort it out, and RF aerials aren't working well either, so the next option, I figure is to try and use a console to stream off of via Hotspot.

In need of ITV hub; Netflix; BBC iplayer mainly. Which console has these and will work off of a Hotspot?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you literally just want it for watching things wouldn't a Roku or something like that be easier? And much cheaper.
I should probably explain myself a bit better! :lol: I already have the consoles, but most of them are packed away until the rooms get sorted out. It's a really old plasma that's being used, hence why it has no apps etc. of its own - it's basically just a massive monitor without assistance of a box etc. I've never used a console for apps, so am completely clueless in that department, but wanted to google before I went and rummaged for the appropriate console to use until we've got a box and proper internet in.

But you can log in to sky go on your ps4 but obviously only if you have a sky account.
Hmm.. we're from Virgin, so not sure how that'll go, but I can give it a try.

Thanks.

Bojan11

Nah you need a SKY sub to get Sky go.

You got a Xbox one?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I should probably explain myself a bit better! :lol: I already have the consoles, but most of them are packed away until the rooms get sorted out. It's a really old plasma that's being used, hence why it has no apps etc. of its own - it's basically just a massive monitor without assistance of a box etc. I've never used a console for apps, so am completely clueless in that department, but wanted to google before I went and rummaged for the appropriate console to use until we've got a box and proper internet in.
Ahh right I see, I understand now :D

Dr. StrangeHate

Hmm.. we're from Virgin, so not sure how that'll go, but I can give it a try.

Thanks.
Which consoles do you have?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
So we don't have any internet outside of our phones until they come and sort it out, and RF aerials aren't working well either, so the next option, I figure is to try and use a console to stream off of via Hotspot.

In need of ITV hub; Netflix; BBC iplayer mainly. Which console has these and will work off of a Hotspot?
Have you got unlimited data on your phone contracts??

Otherwise you'll burn through your data before you blink.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nah you need a SKY sub to get Sky go.

You got a Xbox one?
Stopped with the Xboxes at 360... You're gonna tell me they're the ones with everything now, aren't you?
Just get a fire stick HD. It is on sale for 30 quid. It has a lot of Amazon fluff but works well.
https://www.johnlewis.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-ultra-hd-with-alexa-voice-remote/p3844495
Need ITV hub, it's not on them is it?
Ahh right I see, I understand now :D
:lol: I probably shouldn't have started the thread back to front!
Which consoles do you have?
This question can't end well for me, can it? Suffice it to say just strike xbox1 and anything on that side up off.
Have you got unlimited data on your phone contracts??

Otherwise you'll burn through your data before you blink.
:lol: fortunately, yes! I've used more data in about 8 days on Hotspot than I think I ever have, literally in all my other years with data packages since having smart phones.
Take up reading
What do you take me for!? @SteveJ !?

Bojan11

Xbox has ITV hub, BBC and sky.

Well the Xbox one does. @Alock1 would know better as I tend to just watch through my TV apps, so I don’t have to keep switching picture settings.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Like others have said, get a firestick. You can have any streaming app on it. I even figured out how to get VirginTVGo on it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Like others have said, get a firestick. You can have any streaming app on it. I even figured out how to get VirginTVGo on it.
Is it hard to set up? I have one somewhere that I used for Kodi a few years ago, but haven't touched it since. Don't know where it'd be now, but if it solves the problem, I better go find it!
I've just seen that Roku Express is only £17.98 on Amazon at the moment - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-Express-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B07XGMNK9G

That's what I was using before I got my Smart TV and it was great.
Cheers! If the firestick doesn't work out, I think I'll go down this route.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Firestick or if you want more freedom a Raspberry Pi.

Zen

ITV is one firestick... just set one up for my Nan and has all 4 main channels.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The fire sticks are great, but get the 4k one as it's faster due to better hardware .