Which good players need to be upgraded for us to keep progressing?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Usually when we've talked talk about upgrading players in recent years it's those we dismissively refer to as "deadwood".

But there comes a point in an improving team where the players who need to be upgraded aren't really deadwood any more. They're good players who just aren't quite at the level you're trying to reach to justify their role in the team. So in order to reach that level you need to replace "good" with "better".

Looking at our first choice team at the moment, centre-forward is the obvious weak spot. But beyond that, the other 10 players are ones who have largely been praised this season (or are newly arrived in Antony's case).

De Gea
Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Eriksen
Antony - Bruno - Rashford
And yet despite that praise, some of those players are inevitably going to have to be pushed out of the starting eleven by new signings in order for us to improve.

And at a squad level, there are players who many consider good, decent, improved or talented enough to defend on here but who nontheless could be moved on as we look for more. Sancho, Fred, AWB, Martial, etc.

So leaving aside players you just don't rate, which somewhat-well-regarded players do you think we will need to make a tough call on and either let go or relegate to a lesser role within the squad as we keep trying to make the team better?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we're talking about players that can be improved upon in that first XI then it is GK, RB, #8, RW and of course the centre forward. Given our priorities I can't imagine we'll buy a starting right back, nor a right winger having paid that fee for Antony. We'll buy that striker and who knows what happens with Dave. The most interesting question is will we buy a midfielder who compliments Casemiro. But we're quite a bit off from having a starting XI that can really dominate in periods against the best teams.

So those that can be improved upon are de Gea, Dalot, Eriksen (as a starter), Antony, and obviously Martial.

Hughes35

I don't really think there is much of an issue with any of the players there.

We just have a gaping hole at Centre forward. Imagine adding a RVN, RVP, Suarez, Drogba, Torres, Rooney, Aguero etc to that team. It would transform us instantly.

Another top CM would be great too.

Remember the geese

I think the back 4, Casemiro, Bruno and Rashford might all be good enough to sustain a title challenge. I'd quite like a more rounded keeper than De Gea and an alternative option to Eriksen. Someone like Enzo Fernandez. We are desperate for a new striker obviously and the right side is a massive question mark.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The reason I bring this up is that I notice posters sometimes getting defensive when it's suggested we need to replace Player X, arguing that they're fine, good enough, do a job, the least of our problems, etc etc. As if the suggestion that they're a relative weakness is an insult or that people are hating on the player.

But it's actually getting to the point where it's somewhat difficult to fit new players into the team without someone relatively good being displaced in one way or another. And yet that's what has to happen as we're still some way behind the best teams.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Not that much.
Eriksen can be improved on.
A better CF.
Gr33nw00d in place of Antony, but that’s probably not going to happen.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think the back 4, Casemiro, Bruno and Rashford might all be good enough to sustain a title challenge. I'd quite like a more rounded keeper than De Gea and an alternative option to Eriksen. Someone like Enzo Fernandez. We are desperate for a new striker obviously and the right side is a massive question mark.
I agree with this, GK, back 4(AWB or Dalot), Case, Bruno and Rashford are good enough for a title challenge. That is 8/11.
First and most important upgrade is the ST. Then I'd say a RW and last but not least a CM next to Casemiro.
So Martial, Antony and Eriksen are all upgradable imo.

gregor

We defenitely need a better backup for Casemiro.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
De Gea
Eriksen
Antony
Striker position

Could all be 'improved on'. Plus a back-up for Case and likely still a better right back than AWB despite his resurgance.

hobbers

Antony and Bruno given how they play 95% of the time.

Also seem a bit in danger of heading towards a Pogba/Lukaku relationship on the pitch where they just throw their arms up at each other for the others constant mistakes. Which is especially noticeable when all they do all game is make mistakes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't really think there is much of an issue with any of the players there.

We just have a gaping hole at Centre forward. Imagine adding a RVN, RVP, Suarez, Drogba, Torres, Rooney, Aguero etc to that team. It would transform us instantly.

Another top CM would be great too.
That's exactly my point.

There isn't much of an issue with those players, but collectively they're still a long way short of (for example) the City side who have dominated the league over the last few years. And I think we're more than just one centre-forward away from being at that level.

With that presumably being the standard we're looking to meet over the coming seasons, it means some of those perfectly fine players will need to be pushed out of their current roles by better or better-suited players. And in turn some squad players who might be semi-decent will need to leave the club.

Zen86

Competition for Eriksen in CM and a CF should be the priorities. Beyond that, it's a pretty decent team.

We're not City at the end of the day, we aren't able to stack our squad to the same level as them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's too soon for this kind of talk.

As of now our priorities should be getting a number 9 and cm in for the summer, we could move on from there.

Skills

Snitch
Eriksen, Antony and ST

I'm hoping one of Sancho or Pellistri step up. Another midfielder is vital. A press resistant dribbler next to Casemiro would be ideal. Kovacic?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Getting someone like Kane up top would turn us into real title challengers. Getting a press resistant deep playmaker to replace with who can slow the game down, break through the lines and progress the ball up field would complete our outfield players. A new goalkeeper who can be strong aerially would then give us another level, especially with set pieces where we are one of the worst in the league still.

So it's 3 signings to complete our team, but then you still expect internal improvements from Antony, Sancho, Garnacho progression, etc. We are just a Kane up top away from challenging for the Prem and CL though, assuming others don't drop a level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's too soon for this kind of talk.

As of now our priorities should be getting a number 9 and cm in for the summer, we could move on from there.
Why is it too soon? If you're talking about a new midfielder that presumably already means Eriksen, a very good player, being replaced as a nailed on member of the starting eleven.

And assuming you want us to make more than two signings....

userman

Priority should be:
1. Striker
2. CM
3. GK
4. DM or AM - backup to Bruno or Casemiro (DM or AM is dependent on who we get on CM and/or if we sell McTominay)
5. Replacements for anyone that's sold (e.g. AWB, Lindelöf/Maguire, McTominay)

Last edited:

MegadrivePerson

Raya
Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - De Jong
Antony - Bruno - Rashford
Kane

Three players that could realistically join in the summer.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
GK, CM, RW and ST spots can be upgraded, but.. press resistent/ball carrying midfielder and another striker with excellent link up play (an improved version on Martial) would make us a top, top team.

Think ten Hag did a fantastic job in covering for some of our shortcomings as a team.

acnumber9

Antony and Eriksen are the glaring deficiencies for me. Eriksen loses any physical battle which will always be a problem in a two man midfield and Antony creates nothing. You can’t carry a wide player who scores roughly one in three games but contributes zero creativity.

And the striker obviously.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dalot, Eriksen, Antony and Bruno. And of course, a striker.

Hughes35

That's exactly my point.

There isn't much of an issue with those players, but collectively they're still a long way short of (for example) the City side who have dominated the league over the last few years. And I think we're more than just one centre-forward away from being at that level.

With that presumably being the standard we're looking to meet over the coming seasons, it means some of those perfectly fine players will need to be pushed out of their current roles by better or better-suited players. And in turn some squad players who might be semi-decent will need to leave the club.
I guess with that view, the first "decent" player to be upgraded on is Martial.

Elanga is pretty poor too and I think we can have much better squad options. After that you're talking about fine margins and trying to upgrade on the likes of Mctom, Fred and maybe De Gea / dare I say Anthony (Still like him and think he can get better).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The reason I bring this up is that I notice posters sometimes getting defensive when it's suggested we need to replace Player X, arguing that they're fine, good enough, do a job, the least of our problems, etc etc. As if the suggestion that they're a relative weakness is an insult or that people are hating on the player.

But it's actually getting to the point where it's somewhat difficult to fit new players into the team without someone relatively good being displaced in one way or another. And yet that's what has to happen as we're still some way behind the best teams.
Taking age into account (which is important) then some competition for Eriksen and Casemiro's places seems to be the main priority after a new striker. This is heightened by the ongoing doubts about whether Fred is good enough and whether McTominay is actually a professional footballer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Antony and Eriksen are the glaring deficiencies for me. Eriksen loses any physical battle which will always be a problem in a two man midfield and Antony creates nothing. You can’t carry a wide player who scores roughly one in three games but contributes zero creativity.

And the striker obviously.
It's too early to write Antony off. Partly because you just can't give up on that much investment so soon but mainly because it's his debut season and loads of new signings over the years have only really looked the part from second season onwards.

Teja

I'm a big believer that players improve significantly in a set structure.

The big gaping hole is the CF. Let's get a good player there and see how things go. If we have the cash, then additional cover for Casemiro should be the highest priority.

Willing to wait and watch with DDG, Dalot, AWB, Fred, Antony etc.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
#1 - CF (Starting player with proven goal-scoring record in a top 5 league)
#2 - DM (Backup and long-term replacement for Casemiro)
#3 - RW (Competition to Antony, assuming Pellestri/Amad aren't the ones and Sancho is brought back to play on the left)

Aside from that I really like our squad at the moment.

bosnian_red

That's exactly my point.

Yeah there's a difference between getting to the top level of City the past 5 years, and getting to the level of actually competing for the title. A center forward like Kane and we 100% can compete for the title. But we probably won't have a team that can get 100 points in the Prem for example, which is fine. A GK, CM and CF and then proper depth for Varane and Casemiro (stylistically more than anything, could even just take Lavia and Bella Kotchap from Southampton and I'd be happy with that) and then we'd have a "complete team". The big jump will come from a CF though, and then from there it would be small, incremental improvements which sometimes depending on the variance of the season wouldn't even translate itself to more points or further progress in the CL, even if we'd be a better team. Luck/football variance can swing it so that Eriksen and Fred this season gives overall a similar level to us having a midfielder like Frenkie in. We'd be an obviously better team with Frenkie next to Casemiro, but ultimately if we sign Kane, I wouldn't necessarily expect a drastically different end result to what we'd do if you just added Kane to us without Frenkie (if Fred and Eriksen repeat the same level, but obviously in football with aging it doesn't work out like that).

But top 5 priorities currently are:
  1. Striker
  2. CM
  3. GK
  4. Casemiro backup to replace McTominay
  5. Varane backup to replace Maguire
Past that, well at that point we then have a decision to make on seeing how Sancho and Antony have developed, what age others are and if they're declining, etc.

youmeletsfly

Think it's very easy:
-competition to Bruno or upgrade
-quality striker
-a creative CM
- GK (I like DDG but I hate it when he receives the ball and spends 20 seconds thinking what to do with it)
-understudy to Casemiro
-maybe a goalscoring winger

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Getting a player like Kane would make it a dream window. Still hoping for a guy like Frenkie to play next to Casemiro and replace Eriksen (still a great #1 bench option). I'm not buying into Osimhen, especially if they're asking 150m. Really hoping they can sell the club before next season starts but I doubt it.

CF, CM and a backup CDM as the rest have said. I'm not convinced we need another RW. Sancho has played there about half of his games for Dortmund, ETH should be able to get the best out of him at that position if Antony keeps dropping stinkers. We would have Garnacho and Rashford on the left.

Eli Zee

I would say striker, but we actually have zero good players there, so it doesn't fit with your question.

GK, CM, CDM CB, ST

Goalkeeper - replace de gea

CM, CDM, CB - get a better back up for CB & CDM and get a possibly better starter for CM (Eriksen Can be backup and/or rotate with Bruno at CAM?).

ST - bring in two... starter and back up

I Wanna say to improve on the left back and right back positions also, but I think these are more important for the most part.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why is it too soon? If you're talking about a new midfielder that presumably already means Eriksen, a very good player, being replaced as a nailed on member of the starting eleven.

And assuming you want us to make more than two signings....
Because I feel it's way early into our rebuilding process to hand out definitive verdicts .

We have some very young players in our attack, will sanch regain his form and fulfill his potential? Will garnacho become a starter next season or what about Antony? We have half a season to go and it's way too early to make those judgments.

Also eriksen is definitely a player to keep he just obviously can't play every week but us great to have either case.

mikeyt

The reality is last night showed we aren't that close to having a squad with enough depth to challenge for a title yet. We're on our way but we've a fair way to go. Central midfield, centre back, number 10 and striker all need adding to. While other clubs strengthen and we don't this window you can't help but think it's going to be a very difficult second half of the season if we lose one or two to injury.

bosnian_red

First team:

ST
CM
RB
GK

reserves:

DM
CM
If we buy a starting CM then Eriksen and Fred are both squad players (for CM and #10 depending on game). McTominay needs swapping for a real DM who is young with potential, but just need the 1 starter CM for sure. RB also is pointless. Dakota is very good, Wan Bissaka is very good. Right back is as set as LB is.

Also you're missing CB. We need a younger CB to cover for Varane properly to replace Maguire.

Brophs

The One and Only
Dalot & Eriksen are the obvious ones. We can definitely find better alternatives to both, even though I like them.

Rainy nights in Stoke

Table shows we don’t really need much. We’re good defensively, and we’re largely able to kill games (yesterday being the exception) when we’re in front due to our very strong attacking transitions.

Adding a really strong goal scorer with good link-up play (either RW or ST, not sure both are needed), could see us close most of the gap. Someone like Osimhen would do nicely although that’s a tough ask. From there it’s just about depth for me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If Sancho comes back and actually hits form then we're sorted on the wings. It'll mean we've 3 top options there and an alternative to Rashford and Antony when they aren't delivering. Hopefully he can displace Antony because he's had a poor start here, but he needs time.

Eriksen has been a great free signing but he's a converted AM and clearly a De Jong would be better.

De Gea, feck, I dunno, that save last night, what other keeper could make it? But we'd definitely play better football with a keeper who can pass the ball well.