Which good players need to be upgraded for us to keep progressing?

Bondi77

Or you could just you know not bother to post in the thread?
Or the board could stop getting congested with threads that basically are the same questions....just an idea to get rid of all the waffle!

jem

Or the board could stop getting congested with threads that basically are the same questions....just an idea to get rid of all the waffle!
Thread derailment is far more tedious, in my opinion.

Chief123

Eriksen. He’s done a good job so far but he’s not what we need if we want to compete at the top. Is so lightweight in these big matches.

AFC NimbleThumb

Eriksen was shocking prior to the Saka goal. An upgrade next to Casemiro is essential. We must keep the ball better.

ROFLUTION

McTominay to De Jong.

People saying Eriksen have the memory of a goldfish - he’s carried us all season and assisted over 7 goals already. Then he’s also‘s been involved in the third last foot on goals too. In our 9 games won in a row he was the pivot and worked wonders with Casemiro.

DeJong and Kane would get us far here and now, but we probably only have budget (within FFP) for one of those.

AFC NimbleThumb

We had an £80mil club captain sat on the bench yesterday that had 0 use in a game of this magnitude, I’d say that needs addressing pretty sharpish.

EtH’s point about players purchases not being good enough also stands for our £50mil fullback who after 3/4 years still pays little to no attention to attackers on crosses.

angak

My priorities would be;
1. CF
2. CM that can drive forward with the ball.
3. AM someone that can legit challenge Bruno. Still think if we want to be a top team Bruno needs replacing.
4.GK Ball playing goal keeper.

Olecurls99

I think the core of the first 11 is there. A top striker and a natural improvement over the next year from Antony will have us seriously challenging. Then it will be about prolonging and replacing aging players over the next few years.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
CF is the obvious issue.

A RB capable of defending and making overlapping runs constantly would boost Antony immediately.

Another first XI quality CM.

Get 2 of the above - and get lucky with injuries - and we'd mount a serious title challenge.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We need to spend serious money in the summer for a CF/ST and another CM to play next to Casemiro.
Ideally Osimhen/Kane and Valverde/E Fernandez would cost around 200 mil.
That, alongside the constant progress our own players showed this season, we can really challenge for the title.

crossy1686

career ending
We need to spend serious money in the summer for a CF/ST and another CM to play next to Casemiro.
Ideally Osimhen/Kane and Valverde/E Fernandez would cost around 200 mil.
That, alongside the constant progress our own players showed this season, we can really challenge for the title.
I think £300m and we could really push for the title, depends on how hard our scouts have been working. Arsenal have spent that much over the time Arteta has been there and we could speed run the rebuild if we have new owners with deep pockets.

Olecurls99

We need two quality midfielders, a forward, a GK and a RB.

Then we're rocking. PL inbound for sure.
I think we can win a league with De Gea, Dalot, Eriksen and Bruno.

De Gea has already won a league.
Dalot is one of the best RBs in the league.
Eriksen is crucial against the bottom 14 and Fred can play against the top 6.
Bruno despite his failings is a goal machine.

Olecurls99

If we'd had Casemiro since June and Martial hadn't been injured most of the season, we would be challenging right now.

dal

First 11, we need a striker for a title challenge however looking at arsenal that maybe debatable, they have nketiah upfront.

However the way we play I feel we need one. Bruno is great but he doesnt aeem to be as productive as previously with this new setup however its hard to find a technically better player with his workrate.
In AWB and Dalot I think we have two great talents still young, I think that area is fine for next season.

Upgrading of players needed for 23/24 season. (Not Many)

Ericksen, Weghorst.

I think we get two upgrades their and we will challenge, I’d keep Weghorst though and sell Martial.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I agree with all of them except De Gea. He gives the ball away too often and puts us under needless pressure. Poor distribution was acceptable in 2012/13 when most teams' keepers kicked it long, but the game has changed since then. All top teams now play out from the back and their keepers are press resistant.

If we signed a modern keeper and a world class striker, I think our starting 11 would be capable of winning the league. A backup to Eriksen and Dalot would also provide useful squad depth.

JeffFromHK

Bosnich won us a league, we still replaced him in 2000.
Barthez also won us a league, but we still replaced him in 2003

taking part in a league winning squad =/= he is good enough

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Ultimately as of now that 11 is as good as any. But, and there is always a but, its the squad depth thats the issue. Cas has a few seasons left at top level no problem, Eriksen is great but ultimately will need a backup/replacement coming through next season if we are to compete at the elite level. Fred and McTom i bear no ill will towards and both are good rotation options, not sure what happens with Fred as his contract is up at end of season though.

We need 2 CF types, Martial just cannot be relied upon no matter how good he is when he occasionally plays.

Bruno needs an understudy, VDB does just not look good enough.

Defense is ok if we sell Maguire and get in a Gvardiol type we will have great rotation options. I am happy with Victor in the squad but he may not be happy to be 3rd/4th choice and may want a move.

Full backs dont need urgent attention but AWB could do with an upgrade if the right option appears and I have not given up on Ethan Laird.

I am happy with Antony as long as he keeps on his improvement path, this season was always going to be especially challenging for him coming from Dutch League but i trust ETH completely on this one.

Its going to be a big call to replace De Gea, i tend to be on the keep him side of the argument as goalkeepers that look good at other clubs can tend to freeze at OT, anyone who remembers the early noughties will be aware of this.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
De Gea
Dalot
- Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Eriksen
Antony
- Bruno - Rashford
Martial

Bold are the upgradable positions, some more difficult to upgrade than others.

Stacks

First 11, we need a striker for a title challenge however looking at arsenal that maybe debatable, they have nketiah upfront.

However the way we play I feel we need one. Bruno is great but he doesnt aeem to be as productive as previously with this new setup however its hard to find a technically better player with his workrate.
In AWB and Dalot I think we have two great talents still young, I think that area is fine for next season.

Upgrading of players needed for 23/24 season. (Not Many)

Ericksen, Weghorst.

I think we get two upgrades their and we will challenge, I’d keep Weghorst though and sell Martial.
What are AWB great talents? Also he is 25.

ForeverRed1

Martial needs replacing. Kane or osimhen, either of these would be an instant upgrade. Keep weghorst aswell if he does well.

Bruno needs rotation - James maddison would be my pick, he will be available in the summer. Can also play off the right.

Mac allister go partner Casemiro. Two years left on contract, plays in the position we need. Premier league experience, still only 24. Sell mctom.

min Jae from napoli would be my choice to replace maguire and lindelof. We now know that shaw can do a job in the middle too.

goalkeeper. A modern goalkeeper with world class distribution is needed.

Diogo costa
Dalot, varane, the butcher, shaw
Casemiro mc allister
Antony. Bruno . Rashford
Osimhen

weghorst, sancho, Maddison, garnacho, Eriksen, amad, Fred, min-Jae, malacia, awb for rotation options and squad depth is pretty decent.

So we buy osimhen, min-Jae, mc Allister, Costa, Maddison. 300mil/350mil?

okay I’m dreaming but still that would make us a very good team.

Olecurls99

Ultimately as of now that 11 is as good as any. But, and there is always a but, its the squad depth thats the issue. Cas has a few seasons left at top level no problem, Eriksen is great but ultimately will need a backup/replacement coming through next season if we are to compete at the elite level. Fred and McTom i bear no ill will towards and both are good rotation options, not sure what happens with Fred as his contract is up at end of season though.

We need 2 CF types, Martial just cannot be relied upon no matter how good he is when he occasionally plays.

Bruno needs an understudy, VDB does just not look good enough.

Defense is ok if we sell Maguire and get in a Gvardiol type we will have great rotation options. I am happy with Victor in the squad but he may not be happy to be 3rd/4th choice and may want a move.

Full backs dont need urgent attention but AWB could do with an upgrade if the right option appears and I have not given up on Ethan Laird.

I am happy with Antony as long as he keeps on his improvement path, this season was always going to be especially challenging for him coming from Dutch League but i trust ETH completely on this one.

Its going to be a big call to replace De Gea, i tend to be on the keep him side of the argument as goalkeepers that look good at other clubs can tend to freeze at OT, anyone who remembers the early noughties will be aware of this.
I think we can wait and see if one of Mainoo or Iqbal can come through to replace Eriksen. At the moment I think he and Fred offer enough between them in the 8 role.

I'm hoping Diallo can be the long term competition/back up for Bruno.

I agree we need 1 forward but I think Weghorst or Martial are adequate backups.

I agree a young CB would be a good replacement for Maguire.

We're in agreement about Antony and the full backs and you make a good point about De Gea. It's one thing keeping well for Brighton or Wolves, it's a different kettle of fish at Old Trafford.

redmanx

The likes of Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Dalot, Erikkson, Bruno, Casemira, Rashford, are all top players with Wan Bissaka, Malacia, Fred and McTominay providing good back up and cover; Antony is a work in progress as is Garnacho and both deserve their place in our squad. We need more cover in defence of course but Maguire and Lindelof are simply not good or reliable enough, and a striker who can net 25 goals a season is a must and its very clear Martial will never be that and should be sold on. DDG has been one of the best keepers in the world for the last 8/9 years but we need a top quality replacement for him for next season.

laughtersassassin

New Starting Midifielder to play beside Casemiro and a new Striker should be our priority.

After that Goalkeeper and Right Back.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I think we can wait and see if one of Mainoo or Iqbal can come through to replace Eriksen. At the moment I think he and Fred offer enough between them in the 8 role.

I'm hoping Diallo can be the long term competition/back up for Bruno.

I agree we need 1 forward but I think Weghorst or Martial are adequate backups.
Hmm, not sure if Iqbal or Mainoo will be ready to replace Eriksen for a few seasons yet, it would be nice if you called this one right though and i have not seen enough of them to make the call, Hannibal should be in that conversation too hopefully.

Interesting point on Diallo, that would be good I always seen him as a a winger but have to admit not having seen much of him a Sunderland apart from a few highlight goals. Funny i thought that Sancho maybe an option as a rotation with Bruno too if he can get himself sorted out.

Weghorst, I agree if he signs on in the summer would be 1 of the 2 CFs on my list as backup, i just hope Kompany does not act the cnut on this though. I just think we also need a superstar like an Osimhen in this position and hopefully new owners will be looking for exactly this type of signing. Martial I like but he needs to get back to full fitness soon otherwise I fear we have another potential Phil Jones situation (some would say he is already there).

RuudTom83

Lots of the players are on different paths in there careers. But I think we can all agree that CF is the no.1 priority.

Then I would look a body for midfield, but I’d be happy with another Eriksen type buy to give Hannibal/Mainoo time to progress.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Everyone needs to be realistic.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given the need to free financial space through sales this summer, another way to look at this might be "who is good, but not worth what we currently pay them and therefore replaceable as a result?"

These are our best paid players in order (as per whatever random website came up first when I googled it).

De Gea
Sancho
Varane
Casemiro
Martial
Fernandes
Antony
Rashford
Maguire
Eriksen
Shaw
Fred
Lindelof
Martinez
VDB
AWB

If that's in any way accurate, the biggest surprise for me is where Martial seems to rank. I've seen a few people suggest selling him and keeping Weghorst instead and whatever about the football side of that argument, there's a strong case to be made that Martial simply gets paid too much to provide value as a back-up striker anyway.

croadyman

Martial needs replacing. Kane or osimhen, either of these would be an instant upgrade. Keep weghorst aswell if he does well.

Bruno needs rotation - James maddison would be my pick, he will be available in the summer. Can also play off the right.

Mac allister go partner Casemiro. Two years left on contract, plays in the position we need. Premier league experience, still only 24. Sell mctom.

min Jae from napoli would be my choice to replace maguire and lindelof. We now know that shaw can do a job in the middle too.

goalkeeper. A modern goalkeeper with world class distribution is needed.

Diogo costa
Dalot, varane, the butcher, shaw
Casemiro mc allister
Antony. Bruno . Rashford
Osimhen

weghorst, sancho, Maddison, garnacho, Eriksen, amad, Fred, min-Jae, malacia, awb for rotation options and squad depth is pretty decent.

So we buy osimhen, min-Jae, mc Allister, Costa, Maddison. 300mil/350mil?

okay I’m dreaming but still that would make us a very good team.
Not realistic but makes us squad capable of challenging. We can make some shrewd deals which won't cost much like N'dicka,Tielemans & Raya and still get same benefits.

Olecurls99

Given the need to free financial space through sales this summer, another way to look at this might be "who is good, but not worth what we currently pay them and therefore replaceable as a result?"

These are our best paid players in order (as per whatever random website came up first when I googled it).

De Gea
Sancho
Varane
Casemiro
Martial
Fernandes
Antony
Rashford
Maguire
Eriksen
Shaw
Fred
Lindelof
Martinez
VDB
AWB

If that's in any way accurate, the biggest surprise for me is where Martial seems to rank. I've seen a few people suggest selling him and keeping Weghorst instead and whatever about the football side of that argument, there's a strong case to be made that Martial simply gets paid too much to provide value as a back-up striker anyway.
There's definitely a deal to be done for Martial. Somebody gives us 20m and him 100k a week. We give him a 5m payoff to go and he gets a fresh start.

We get 15m and him off our books. He goes to Italy or some other warm weather country.