Which midfielder do you prefer?

Pughnichi

The list is decent.

Tielemans, Veratti, FDJ, Bellingham, Bissouma,Tchouameni, Rice, Kessie

MadMike

He's more than ready right now. He's much better than any midfielder we have. He's basically another Bellingham.
Basically, 100% no. And the same goes for Bellingham. VDB also looked more than ready and better than anything we had in midfield before we bought him, yet you see how it panned out.

You can see the talent, but you simply cannot accurately assess the current ability level of a young inexperienced player when they play in a significantly weaker league. Sancho at BVB was ripping the German league apart and currently struggles to get into our starting XI and to offer more than Martial. But you think Bellingham, who would come from the same German team, would come n and be immediately better than anything we have. Fat chance.

Last edited:

GueRed

Actually Declan Rice and Frenkie De Jong.

Midfield would be instantly transformed

RooneyLegend

Basically, 100% no. And the same goes for Bellingham. VDB also looked more than ready and better than anything we had in midfield before we bought him, yet you see how it panned out.

You can see the talent, but you simply cannot accurately assess the current ability level of a young inexperienced player when they play in a significantly weaker league. Sancho at BVB was ripping the German league apart and currently struggles to get into our starting XI and to offer more than Martial. But you think Bellingham, who would come from the same German team, would come n and be immediately better than anything we have. Fat chance.
Basically yes and the same goes for Bellingham. Those two are better than anything we trott out in midfield. VDB never looked anything like that, I said as much but no one cared to take my opinion seriously.

You can assess their level because they play in the champions League which is a higher level than the Prem. Obviously it wouldn't be easy to gauge their level in the Eredivisie where no team dares to challenge Ajax technically outside of the other really big clubs.

Sancho simply hasn't gotten going. It's got nothing to do with the league. That's a guy that was getting it done vs the likes of Bayern, PSG and Barca. He isn't struggling because he's running into the mighty West Ham and Newcastle. That's ridiculous logic.

MadMike

Basically yes and the same goes for Bellingham. Those two are better than anything we trott out in midfield. VDB never looked anything like that, I said as much but no one cared to take my opinion seriously.

You can assess their level because they play in the champions League which is a higher level than the Prem. Obviously it wouldn't be easy to gauge their level in the Eredivisie where no team dares to challenge Ajax technically outside of the other really big clubs.

Sancho simply hasn't gotten going. It's got nothing to do with the league. That's a guy that was getting it done vs the likes of Bayern, PSG and Barca. He isn't struggling because he's running into the mighty West Ham and Newcastle. That's ridiculous logic.
We’ll just have to agree to completely disagree then

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
do we think a CDM will really improve our style of play and tactics? Because I think a world class manager can get us top 2 with the squad we already have. It’s more about the manager getting a lot more out of his players then getting in a player we desperately need to complete our starting 11. Ole as had a number of chances to get rid of Fred from the starting 11 and try a new midfield pairing but he chooses to stick with him even after all his ridiculous displays.

shoegazing

I've just got this feeling we'll sign Neves or similar as both our Pogba replacement and DM.

VivaRonaldo85

Watched Declan Rice closely this season. I can’t help feel he would make such a difference to our team. He has everything we need in a central midfielder very much in the mould of some if our great midfielders of days gone by. Good on the ball, drives forward with it at feet, leads, intercepts play well, loads of energy, a bit horrible, and a goal threat.

You just know he’s the sort of player Fergie would have broken the bank on. Sancho and Ronaldo are currently looking a bit luxury whereas Rice for me was essential for the functionality of this team. A big miss this summer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Kamara had a good game the other night against Lorient. Think he'll be a clever purchase for someone, I'd still hope we took a chance on him for the price.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Rice & another to compliment him

I feel like we need the leadership qualities of Rice as much as we need his other qualities

redrobed

Give Dortmund 75m (+ 7.5m of potential add-ons) and tell Bellingham this is his last chance or we’ll sign Rice and he can kiss goodbye to his chances of ever playing for Utd.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Brozovic. He's out of contract at the end of the year. Unlike a lot of players mentioned in this thread he is an actual DM. I could see him forming a good partnership with Fred.

I think Bazoer (Vitesse) is brilliant. I'd happily take him as a backup. Also on a free.

If we're splashing money, maybe De Jong wants out of Barca if they don't make top 4.

Tchouameni is an interesting one.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@AjaxCunian
@AjaxNL

How do you rate Lisandro Martinez? Is he a better midfielder or a defender?

Is he versatile at both enough for United? Does he fill something we miss or not really?

SungSam7

Give Dortmund 75m (+ 7.5m of potential add-ons) and tell Bellingham this is his last chance or we’ll sign Rice and he can kiss goodbye to his chances of ever playing for Utd.
Im sure he sees what is happening to Sancho, id forgive him for not wanting to join. Also, why would Rice sign for us in the state we are in? West Ham have always been ambitious but could never get it right.

Us on the other hand...We are quite happy where we are at! Having a Yes man player Legend as manager.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Watching him play against us, I really wish we'd gone for Koopmeiners. I'd seen enough of him to know he was exactly what we needed on the ball, but I wasn't sure if he was solid enough defensively to go along with that. Not because I'd seen a weakness there, but I simply hadn't watched him enough to figure that out (I'd only watched a couple of games). He definitely seemed to answer that question yesterday.

The €12m fee that Atalanta paid a few months ago was well worth taking the chance.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
@AjaxCunian
@AjaxNL

How do you rate Lisandro Martinez? Is he a better midfielder or a defender?

Is he versatile at both enough for United? Does he fill something we miss or not really?
As long as the likes of Ole are United managers, forget about these players. He would be considered too short and fragile for United.

I rate him and like him, he's clever, tenacious, has a very good cross pass and can create. Mobile, quick in the duels, but it is worth considering that he barely gets minutes for Argentina.

Probably quite a system player.

Dan_F

Honestly, anyone who has good control, positioning and can release the ball forward quickly. There’s so many deficiency’s in there at the moment.

Pogba is always a disaster against pressing teams because he takes too many touches and wants to use his body all the time to shield the ball. Granted this is probably also down to no one bothering to free themselves up to receive the ball.

Fred can’t trap a ball and this messes up basically every other aspect of his game.

McTominay is one of the safest passers I’ve ever seen. 75% of his passes must go to a centre back or AWB.

Matic of 5 years ago is probably the best of the bunch. Can shift the ball through midfield brilliantly and is a bastard at times (who doesn’t love that). But will always struggle against players running at pace. He’d probably still be great in a possession heavy team like City.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
I watched Toni Kroos debut against Red Star Belgrade when he was 17 a rainy October night 14 years ago, October 2007. He scored one and laid on one for Klose. And he had just won the u17 World Cup and Player of the tournament the Summer that went. We could all tell he was special. I then proceeded to watch every last one of his games the years after that.

But know what, he was in and out of the team, never rushed, and then loaned out to Leverkusen in 2009. He developed so tremendously that Bayern eventually had to bring him back and give him a starting spot. After three Champions League finals and one World Cup win he moved to Real Madrid at age 24. And even there miracles weren't expected of him. He was paired with Modric, a future Balon d'Or winner.

I've only seen Bellingham like 3 times as I don't follow football like I used to. He looks a decent prospect. I'm just saying don't rush a very talented british 18 year old by throwing him to the wolves of the British media. He is probably not ready until he turns 23-24. And that's alright.

Schweinsteiger, Lampard, Zidane, Xavi all turned World class around 24-27 - don't expect Baby Bellingham to be there yet and don't put that pressure on him!

the_cliff

Bennacer all day, he's got a decent release clause as well. Shame our scouts won't even know who he is.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bennacer all day, he's got a decent release clause as well. Shame our scouts won't even know who he is.
You mean the guy who was on the bench V United last season at AC Milan?

Fairly certain they'd know.... especially as he came through the ranks at Arsenal too...

Flytan

I tried googling it, but maybe I'm just dumb. What's going on with a certain midfielder who was recently arrested (Am I allowed to say his name, I don't know the libel laws)? I know he was released on bail but I still see people mentioning his name as a potential signing.

NoLogo

Barella anyone? Looked like an absolute beast for Inter last season. Although I haven't really seen him play more than a handful of games. I really would love us to go for some Italian midfielder, they seem to have so many great talents there currently.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Watching him play against us, I really wish we'd gone for Koopmeiners. I'd seen enough of him to know he was exactly what we needed on the ball, but I wasn't sure if he was solid enough defensively to go along with that. Not because I'd seen a weakness there, but I simply hadn't watched him enough to figure that out (I'd only watched a couple of games). He definitely seemed to answer that question yesterday.

The €12m fee that Atalanta paid a few months ago was well worth taking the chance.
If only someone had watched him regularly and pointed out how good he was both technically and defensively :wenger:

I think he’s really well suited to Serie A and Atalanta have got the perfect midfielder for their style of play.

golden_blunder

Staff
I tried googling it, but maybe I'm just dumb. What's going on with a certain midfielder who was recently arrested (Am I allowed to say his name, I don't know the libel laws)? I know he was released on bail but I still see people mentioning his name as a potential signing.
The Brighton midfielder Bissouma

Swarup

In our current team we'd win the league.
With that Maguire / Shaw / AWB / Lindelof? I doubt it. Sincerely. Our Fullbacks (and no backups to them) are the worst among the top4.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
I dont want any if Ole is still in charge. It will just be another 75m+ bench player that Ole wont trust.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah, I mean people are still listing him in recent days as an option. Is it just "innocent until proven guilty" or has something changed in his case? Sorry, not finding much info online
I don’t know what’s happening currently but you wouldn’t want that kind of stigma