Film Which movies/series would you consider truly groundbreaking?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I watched a nice TV series the other night.
I liked it, but it also made me realize that it had borroughed elements from other successful movies/series in the past.

Part of the cinematography and story telling reminded me of the Blair Witch Project.
I could not appreciate it at the time, but I would have to say now that it was a groundbreaking movie, since it has introduced new ways of telling a story, camera techniques and introduced these to a wider audience. (So, this thread is not about super creative or unique artsy fartsy movies or so. It's about groundbreaking movies/shows/series that were a mainstream success.)

Another one is Pulp Fiction. It was so different (to me) at the time, that I did not get it at all when I watched it the first time.
Pulp Fiction does not have one extreme standout criteria, in my opinion at least. But, it is rather a mix of non-standard elements that made it so different at the time (non linear story telling; deviation from your standard Hollywood dialogue lines; a heavy emphasis on finding the right blend of music for every scene; longish scenes and focus on seemingly unnecessary details).

In terms of TV series it is a a little bit hard to tell for me. I find that there often new innovative elements in series, but these do rather feel as part of a constant improvement process, than rather groundbreaking.

So, I am curious to read about which shows/movies you would consider groundbreaking (and successful in the mainstream as well)!

Film:
2001 - first proper scifi film
Star Wars - so many things
Toy Story - birth of animation
Matrix - all the weird camera tricks that are now commonplace
Twilight - how to successfully market a shit film

TV:
The Sopranos - first major hour long TV drama almost like a film
Band of Brothers - start of the mini series

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
TV SHow: Twin Peaks will always be one of my most groundbreaking shows. Everything about it was so different to any other tv show that had been before. I remember at the time how many conversations were about Laura Palmer so it really hit a vein for a lot of people. Whether those people kept interest in it throughout the whole thing is another story but it was surely one of the bravest and most original shows ever at that time.

I still love it now, watched it through so many times and I even loved the return, which was even more abstract, dark and disturbing.

Film: 2001 A Space Odyssey The daddy of all modern Sci Fi films and shows. There had been nothing like it before and the effects were unbelievable for the time. A truly iconic, gamechanger of a film. I spent hours watching it as a kid.

Mike Smalling

For all the shit it rightfully got for it's ending, Game of Thrones was truly groundbreaking in terms of both the storytelling and scope. It also took budgets and special effects for a TV series to new levels.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Dragon Ball Z.

Astro Boy introduced anime to western culture but Dragon Ball Z took it to a whole other level.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Movie - Well you've said mainstream so it could be any number of things dependent on what other type of movies people watch but to keep it safe I'll say Psycho for its killing off the main character halfway through. The stabbing scene was also somewhat lurid and wasn't the usual thing at the time.

TV - I'll elect The Prisoner. Made in the 60s and used elements of psychological drama with surrealistic themes, which like now wasn't exactly the standard fare for British television. The whole thing is basically an abstract thought-experiment about power and coercion. I believe it ran on ITV.

Idxomer

Battleship Potemkin
Man with a Movie Camera
An Andalusian Dog
Citizen Kane
Rashomon
Breathless

Annie Hall

Twin Peaks
Seinfeld
The Sopranos
Buffy
Lost

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe OZ in terms of how explicit you can be in a TV show?

The Shield for showing how far you can go with the anti hero protagonist idea?

Sweet Square

2012 Avengers. Turned superhero movies from stuff only nerds were interested in to a worldwide behemoth that everyone wanted to get a piece of and gave birth to @Sweet Square
Yeah sadly the 2012 Avengers film has to be in this list. Anthony Russo reaction after seeing the first public screening back in 2012 -
A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
Brilliant quote tbf.

hungrywing

Tremors.

Dragon Ball Z.

Astro Boy introduced anime to western culture but Dragon Ball Z took it to a whole other level.
And no one in the West ever noticed that the hero turns from black-haired Asian to a more 'superior' blonde guy who can obliterate huge swaths of land, kind of like....a nuclear weapon.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Maybe OZ in terms of how explicit you can be in a TV show?
I think you can point to Oz and NYPD Blue as the precursors to some of the great ‘crime dramas‘ that followed. They broke down some barriers to producing serious/dark/violent content like The Sopranos and other greats.

Married With Children might sort of work in that regards except for comedy at the opposite end of the spectrum.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Simpsons obviously.
Surprised it took so long to get a mention. It's probably sullied its own reputation by being two-thirds shite now, but those 1st 10 years were unbeatable.

Not a huge fan of Gervais generally, but The Office was excellent. It obviously didn't invent the mockumentary, but it raised the standard and it hasn't really been topped.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Movie - Well you've said mainstream so it could be any number of things dependent on what other type of movies people watch but to keep it safe I'll say Psycho for its killing off the main character halfway through. The stabbing scene was also somewhat lurid and wasn't the usual thing at the time.

TV - I'll elect The Prisoner. Made in the 60s and used elements of psychological drama with surrealistic themes, which like now wasn't exactly the standard fare for British television. The whole thing is basically an abstract thought-experiment about power and coercion. I believe it ran on ITV.
Beat me to it on The Prisoner. So different.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm a Hindu and I haven't a fecking clue what that dude is on about. :lol:
It is a quaint translation of an old verse I believe. That whole quote is actually from the physicist Robert Oppenheimer in reference to helping create the atomic bomb, though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Surprised it took so long to get a mention. It's probably sullied its own reputation by being two-thirds shite now, but those 1st 10 years were unbeatable.

Not a huge fan of Gervais generally, but The Office was excellent. It obviously didn't invent the mockumentary, but it raised the standard and it hasn't really been topped.
Was going to say exactly this until saw your post.

My daughter made me watch some of the US one recently. It’s good but made me go back and re-watch the original which even after multiple viewings is (still) fantastic… funny, sad, cringy and a great cast.

On mockumentaries… This is Spinal Tap.

Simbo

Top Gun.

Not sure the cinematography has ever been equaled. Fingers crossed for the sequel…

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I watched a nice TV series the other night.
I liked it, but it also made me realize that it had borroughed elements from other successful movies/series in the past.

Part of the cinematography and story telling reminded me of the Blair Witch Project.
I could not appreciate it at the time, but I would have to say now that it was a groundbreaking movie, since it has introduced new ways of telling a story, camera techniques and introduced these to a wider audience. (So, this thread is not about super creative or unique artsy fartsy movies or so. It's about groundbreaking movies/shows/series that were a mainstream success.)

Wait, what show was it?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Hitchcock
Kurosawa
Star Wars
Chinatown

Twin Peaks
Oz
Too Old to Die Young

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I read a really good book called Easy riders, Raging bulls. How the sex drugs and rock and roll generation saved Hollywood. It’s just about how crazy they were back then when the talent had the power and the mad stories behind everyone’s favourite movies. Hopper, Beatty, Speliberg and Lucas, Coppola, Jack Nicholson, Scorsese and loads more, It’s well worth a read if you’re into influential and classic cinema. Absolute maniacs! One of my favourite books I’d say

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6793.Easy_Riders_Raging_Bulls

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I read a really good book called Easy riders, Raging bulls. How the sex drugs and rock and roll generation saved Hollywood. It’s just about how crazy they were back then when the talent had the power and the mad stories behind everyone’s favourite movies. Hopper, Beatty, Speliberg and Lucas, Coppola, Jack Nicholson, Scorsese and loads more, It’s well worth a read if you’re into influential and classic cinema. Absolute maniacs! One of my favourite books I’d say

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6793.Easy_Riders_Raging_Bulls
Great book that. Easy Rider and Bonnie and Clyde definitely played a big part in laying the foundation for American cinema's 70's golden age.

And most of them were influenced by the likes of Hitchcock and the French New Wave, so those earlier works are even more influential in the great scheme of things.

Jericholyte2

Movies:
  • Superman: The Movie
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Star Wars
  • LOTR
  • Toy Story

TV Shows:
  • Six Feet Under

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Tremors.

And no one in the West ever noticed that the hero turns from black-haired Asian to a more 'superior' blonde guy who can obliterate huge swaths of land, kind of like....a nuclear weapon.
This never dawned on me. The spirit bomb is an...atomic bomb? :nervous: