Film Which movies/series would you consider truly groundbreaking?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Highest-gross film in history and you can't even name one fecking character. :lol:
Like what is that going to prove?? Considering most of the character names were alien, who cares? And there was only really Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Grace something (Sigourney) with names anyway so I don't get what your point is. But you're embarrassing yourself.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with Avatar: The Last Airbender? Now THAT was shite!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As a film, Dr Strangelove or how I learnt to love the bomb was definitely ground breaking. Peter Sellers in multiple roles.
And the message about mutually assured destruction was highly significant.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Like what is that going to prove?? Considering most of the character names were alien, who cares? And there was only really Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Grace something (Sigourney) with names anyway so I don't get what your point is. But you're embarrassing yourself.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with Avatar: The Last Airbender? Now THAT was shite!
Nah, you are just being obtuse.

Why on earth, that heartless crappy movie is the highest-gross movie of all time? Objectively?

The only reason is marketing/online marketing.

Basically, it normalized the fact that studios don't need to make good movies to make big money. All they need is good marketing.

0le

Depending on your definition of ground-breaking (without checking any lists online beforehand):

The Matrix - camera tricks
MCU - Popularising mid and end credit scenes
Star Wars - Popularising story arcs across multiple films
Primer - Confusing as feck most realistic time travel film

I guess you could name films which had the first black actor, first leading black actor and similarly for women, etc.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
As a film, Dr Strangelove or how I learnt to love the bomb was definitely ground breaking. Peter Sellers in multiple roles.
That film was so influential we actually re-evaluated the protocols regarding the nuclear arsenal.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nah, you are just being obtuse.

Why on earth, that heartless crappy movie is the highest-gross movie of all time? Objectively?

The only reason is marketing/online marketing.

Basically, it normalized the fact that studios don't need to make good movies to make big money. All they need is good marketing.
Objectively? Ok, well it's not rocket science. Cameron was using some new ground-breaking techniques to make his movie. People's interest was sufficiently peaked at the time. So of course, when it was released everybody wanted to see it.....and that's why it returned the numbers it did. Nothing to do with whether it was actually good or not. I actually thought it was a good movie, not great but good. And I could also appreciate the technology for what it was. The Na'vi and their planet were pretty cool. Cameron had achieved something special, whether you like it or not. I, for one will be watching Avatar 2,3, 4 and 5 or however many sequels he has planned.

You're basically pissing on the LOTR, Harry Potter, superhero franchises etc, and all the other big name movies if those are your criteria. Doesn't make any sense.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can you give me 3 legitimate things that are bad about Avatar or is this just another jump onto the hipster bandwagon to bash this movie? I just see so many people on here throwing that name about but never giving any reasons why.

On a similar note, whilst the Transformers series gets a similar amount of vitriol aimed at it, some of it justified, even now I'm still blown away by the Transformer effects. Some of them are just so perfectly seamless even in slow motion. I remember that Citroen C4 ad coming out not long after and everyone was talking about it.
It’s not even that bad, it’s just not good. Completely forgettable story with uninspiring characters and underdeveloped world (the latter is very surprising since the world is, objectively, well-developed, I believe that they’ve even created an entire language, it’s just that you can’t really see it in the movie).

How often do you talk about Avatar in general when you’re not talking about cinematic technology or biggest flops of all-time? Compare that to the amount of time things from Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner or even MCU get referenced in any random conversation — for a somehow still the highest-grossing movie of all-time it left a surprisingly weak mark on a popular culture (and it’s easy to imagine why).

Who knows, Cameron is working on a stupid amount of movies & series from that universe so maybe it’ll take off from there?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah. It’s baffling how incredibly prolific Kubrick was in creating distinctive ground-breaking masterpieces in different genres — Dr. Strangelove, 2001: Space Odyssey, The Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining…

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Objectively? Ok, well it's not rocket science. Cameron was using some new ground-breaking techniques to make his movie. People's interest was sufficiently peaked at the time. So of course, when it was released everybody wanted to see it.....and that's why it returned the numbers it did. Nothing to do with whether it was actually good or not. I actually thought it was a good movie, not great but good. And I could also appreciate the technology for what it was. The Na'vi and their planet were pretty cool. Cameron had achieved something special, whether you like it or not. I, for one will be watching Avatar 2,3, 4 and 5 or however many sequels he has planned.

You're basically pissing on the LOTR, Harry Potter, superhero franchises etc, and all the other big name movies if those are your criteria. Doesn't make any sense.
Absolutely not. LOTR was groundbreaking in only good ways. Proper movies with proper actors, in proper sets, etc.

The Hobbit, that burrowed tech from Avatar, of course. It was crap. Computerized crap.

And yes, the post Avatar super hero franchises are a fecking joke, soulless crap. It's only CGI up your ass. Thank you Avatar.

Compare them with proper super hero movies like Raimi's Spiderman.

Last edited:

Zen

The West Wing did an awful lot for TV and changed the perception of what can be achieved on the small screen, especially given it was on network TV and before HBO became what we know it to be now.

The Sopranos kind of took over from there, but TWW teed things off and was very much “groundbreaking”.
Sopranos was filming it's second season by the time The West Wing's pilot aired .... plus from a Network point of view, I'd say ER was a bigger general influence from the 90's, somehow keeping Clooney for so long also paved the way for The West Wing to get Sheen and the floodgates opening for Hollywood actors coming to TV.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sopranos was filming it's second season by the time The West Wing's pilot aired .... plus from a Network point of view, I'd say ER was a bigger general influence from the 90's, somehow keeping Clooney for so long also paved the way for The West Wing to get Sheen and the floodgates opening for Hollywood actors coming to TV.
I could have sworn Sopranos was a year later; I had it in my head that WW had swept the Emmys and then Sopranos was tipped for its first season but WW won again.

Either way, I still consider both shows were significant game changers.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ironman - kick-started the MCU

Parasite - showed the general west that there are good films outside of Hollywood :lol:

Unfriended - Used the "screen-life" gimmick really well and gave it popularity.

Mortal Kombat (1995) - that theme song :drool:

Fingeredmouse

Can you give me 3 legitimate things that are bad about Avatar or is this just another jump onto the hipster bandwagon to bash this movie? I just see so many people on here throwing that name about but never giving any reasons why.

On a similar note, whilst the Transformers series gets a similar amount of vitriol aimed at it, some of it justified, even now I'm still blown away by the Transformer effects. Some of them are just so perfectly seamless even in slow motion. I remember that Citroen C4 ad coming out not long after and everyone was talking about it.
The Citroen C4 ad is a better watch, with a superior plot, and less nauseating and commercial than either fecking Avatar or the absolute brain damaging clusterfeck that are the Transformers movies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Citroen C4 ad is a better watch, withe a superior plot, and less nauseating and commercial than either fecking Avatar or the absolute brain damaging clusterfeck that are the Transformers movies.
Thanks for your input. I'm guessing you're one of those guys who had La La Land or The Artist as a movie masterpiece. And don't tell me. The Godfather, It's A Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone With The Wind, The Shawshank Redemption, Nosferatu, Metropolis, The King's Speech and The Hurt Locker are all in your all time Top 20 movie list?

Am I correct?

Fingeredmouse

Thanks for your input. I'm guessing you're one of those guys who had La La Land or The Artist as a movie masterpiece. And don't tell me. The Godfather, It's A Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone With The Wind, The Shawshank Redemption, Nosferatu, Metropolis, The King's Speech and The Hurt Locker are all in your all time Top 20 movie list?

Am I correct?
No problem.

Extremely not correct.

Never seen either La La Land or the Artist.

None of those films would make my top 20, if I had one (and it's a weird list as an aside), although the Godfather is great and I like Nosferatu.

You just like shite films and that's ok.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nefertiti I think her name was.
Think you're getting your films mixed up. Isn't that some Egyptian bird? The blue bird is Neytiri and considering she's about 9ft tall, any kind of nookie would be a real challenge.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No problem.

Extremely not correct.

Never seen either La La Land or the Artist.

None of those films would make my top 20, if I had one (and it's a weird list as an aside), although the Godfather is great and I like Nosferatu.

You just like shite films and that's ok.
Yeah I just tend to avoid all the pretentious crap like what you watch but yeah that's ok too.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Think you're getting your films mixed up. Isn't that some Egyptian bird? The blue bird is Neytiri and considering she's about 9ft tall, any kind of nookie would be a real challenge.
Make my Johnson look pitiful...

Fingeredmouse

Yeah I just tend to avoid all the pretentious crap like what you watch but yeah that's ok too.
Honestly, thinking the Transformer's movies are shit isn't pretentious. That's like saying you're pretentious regarding food if you eat anything other than cheese Findus crispy pancakes.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Honestly, thinking the Transformer's movies are shit isn't pretentious. That's like saying you're pretentious regarding food if you eat anything other than cheese Findus crispy pancakes.
Read what I said again. Regardless of what they think of the movies, anyone who takes the piss out of the effects in the Transformers movies is just being an obtuse dick.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ironman - kick-started the MCU

Parasite - showed the general west that there are good films outside of Hollywood :lol:

Unfriended - Used the "screen-life" gimmick really well and gave it popularity.

Mortal Kombat (1995) - that theme song :drool:
Its not even the directors best film either. His best film, for those interested, is Memories of Murder.

But, yes, the general audience does seem to have finally woken up about Asian cinema.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i get over that hurdle in my erotic fan fiction. the handsome hero of avatar land, miraldo, tells netanyahu “it doesn’t matter how high your kid cave is, we’re all the same hue of blue when we’re horizontal.”

RedPed

Whatabouter.
i get over that hurdle in my erotic fan fiction. the handsome hero of avatar land, miraldo, tells netanyahu “it doesn’t matter how high your kid cave is, we’re all the same hue of blue when we’re horizontal.”
You have erotic fantasies about the ex Israeli Prime Minister?? :eek:

hungrywing

Dear Oxford English Dictionary,

I am writing to alert you of an urgent 'new word'/'definition update' priority...

Zen

Its not even the directors best film either. His best film, for those interested, is Memories of Murder.

But, yes, the general audience does seem to have finally woken up about Asian cinema.
Have they?

I doubt foreign cinema will ever get over with the general English speaking audience really, for a variety of obvious reasons. But I'd also say there was generally a bigger boom in the casual film buff market in the early 2000's too, with Oldboy, Hero, Crouching Tiger all gaining some solid mainstream coverage, as well as Infernal Affairs, albeit that was more of a sleeper hit than the others.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Conan the Barbarian from 1982. First serious and rightly constructed dark/adult fantasy movie I saw in my life.

Das Boot to this day most claustrophobic war experience on the screen.