Which of the 4 "youths" currently in the first team squad will make it at United?

Stig

Williams is no longer a potential, he's made it - definitely first team material at full back or wing back.

Greenwood - I think he is going to be the real deal. Can shoot with both feet, seems confident - I've no doubt will make it at United.

Chong - I say no.

Gomez - I've no idea.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Williams is no longer a potential, he's made it - definitely first team material at full back or wing back.

Greenwood - I think he is going to be the real deal. Can shoot with both feet, seems confident - I've no doubt will make it at United.

Chong - I say no.

Gomez - I've no idea.
Williams has ‘made it’ no more than Tom Cleverley had.

Of all that lot, Mason is far and aWay the surest thing.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Only Greenwood in my opinion.

Williams is ok but Shaw will keep him out.

Chong has shown nothing.

Gomes was hyped up last year but doesn’t look particularly good, even at u23 level. Hope he proves me wrong.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Greenwood's already made it as a first team player, he'll never play for the U23s again. Becoming a starter is a matter of when not if in my opinion. Williams and Chong could be decent squad players for us. Not much point speculating about Gomes unless he signs a new contract.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Only Greenwood in my opinion.

Williams is ok but Shaw will keep him out.

Chong has shown nothing.

Gomes was hyped up last year but doesn’t look particularly good, even at u23 level. Hope he proves me wrong.
He's our best player at U23 level, has been since he broke through.

Carl S Bridge

You seriously rate Williams as a higher prospect then mason? I mean the guys a RB who couldn't get ahead of Ethan laird so had to go LB. He's done well don't get me wrong but seriously?

kidbob

Greenwood- 200%
Williams- Squad player at the very least, top player at most. Has the ability to make it.
Chong- No unless he makes a huge burst, has talent but lacks pace and strength
Gomes- Has all the talent in the World (in fact most talented of all in my opinion). If we play it right then he 100% will, this involves a good loan to somewhere like Holland and then a loan to the Championship. If managed correctly then he will make it. Will have a career in a top league somewhere otherwise.

Bonus for the same class:

Garner: a good loan to the championship and he will at the very least be a squad player, has the talent to be a starting player in the future.
Laird: if he avoids injury then 100% he makes it and in the next 3 years he takes the RB spot if AWB doesn't improve his attacking. At the very least he takes Dalot's place in the squad.

Chingy Red Army

Greenwood is in.

Williams has show great potential that he can hold his own in the grown men’s game. We will know more next season.

Chong and Gomes are not ready. Still got a lot to learn.

hobbers

Greenwood - first team
Williams - squad player
Chong and Gomes - some European second division league

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Williams started great, he's started to wobble a bit, but he's just a kid. He needs to be managed smartly, hopefully he can be used a little more sparingly over the next year or so, so we're not relying on him and running him in to the ground. But he's exciting.

Greenwood is class. I just want to see him more as a 9 and not shoved out wide. He looks to have more centre forward instincts than Martial. Excellent finisher.

Chong reminds me of Welbeck before he went on loan to Sunderland. Glimpses of talent, but he looks gangly, lanky and awkward. Could go either way, but he needs to fill out a bit.

I have no idea about Gomes. His lack of involvement is concerning considering the hype around him. He's either a dead cert to be off, and/or Ole doesn't see anything in him either.

Denis79

I think Mason will become something really special. Williams a reliable squad player but the other two won't make it here, hooefully I'm wrong about the latter.

The United

Greenwood.

Williams needs another season to see if he will really develop. The rest won't make it based on their performances so far.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Williams and Greenwood both have enormous potential to develop. They are both first team players for the forseeable future.

Chong, maybe. He showed a glimpse against LASK when he cut between the defenders. He does a lot of things good, but can't quite piece it together. I believe there is a player in there when he combines all the things he tries to do, into a full sequence.

Gomes. I don't know. He's ceratinly not being kept from the first team because someone mistreats him. He'd be playing if he was good enough.

Devil may care

I'm 100% certain Mason will make it at United and has a shot at becoming our all time top scorer. I also think Williams has a decent chance, I've been impressed with him. Chong doesn't look anything special right now and Gomes is barely getting a chance so it's impossible to evaluate him at senior level.

Slik

I tot
Williams and Greenwood both have enormous potential to develop. They are both first team players for the forseeable future.

Chong, maybe. He showed a glimpse against LASK when he cut between the defenders. He does a lot of things good, but can't quite piece it together. I believe there is a player in there when he combines all the things he tries to do, into a full sequence.

Gomes. I don't know. He's ceratinly not being kept from the first team because someone mistreats him. He'd be playing if he was good enough.

I totally agree with you. I think Gomes is being held back by his physicality. He probably gets bullied in training. He probably needs to sign a contract and go on loan and learn to play men’s football.

I think Chong is in a similar bracket but his running and speed has put him slightly above Gomes. Ole seems to think Chong will develop into a fine player in the future.

Greenwood, everyone at the club already sees as a genuine future star and they are managing him. So that expectations or injuries and burnouts don’t make his career short.

Williams is in a similar situation to Greenwood. He will be managed as long as Shaw is not completely shit. Shaw above him in the perking order but he will get games.

SAFMUTD

Greenwood definitely looks like a matter of time before he starts in the XI. Williams needs to improve but at least will be a squad player, regarding Chong and Gomes I dont think they’ll make it here, specially Chong I dont think he’ll make it at any top league unfortunately.

KennyBurner

Greenwood's already made it as a first team player, he'll never play for the U23s again. Becoming a starter is a matter of when not if in my opinion. Williams and Chong could be decent squad players for us. Not much point speculating about Gomes unless he signs a new contract.
I think greenwood is far from being a starter with his current physique. Might take him 3 years before he can consistently lead the line. Once he develops physically like rashford he might just be the best to ever do it. Even van persie wasn’t leading the line at arsenal at 21.

Slik

Dort
Greenwood definitely looks like a matter of time before he starts in the XI. Williams needs to improve but at least will be a squad player, regarding Chong and Gomes I dont think they’ll make it here, specially Chong I dont think he’ll make it at any top league unfortunately.
Fortunately, you probably know little about player development and trajectory. What you see now about a player doesn’t tell you everything about their future . It’s really annoying when people like you who are not coaches declare definitively that this player or that player is not viable for top league football. Football is not a matter of this one is better now so they stay that way. There is a possibility Chong ends up a better player than mason greenwood. Fredy Adu was at a point declared the next Pele. We have seen Quaresma with more talent than Cristiano Ronaldo at a young age, have a less successful career, and some even thought Rooney is better than C.Ronaldo when they both started out. So don’t presume to know the future . Just state the present and move on. You should stop this definitive statement of this one won’t make it blah blah.

stepic

If Williams had already made it, he wouldn’t have had to be replaced against City when he was being torn apart by Mahrez. He’s still potential.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Greenwood, and perhaps Williams.

The rest hasn't prove themselves capable of doing so yet, although I have high hopes on Hanniba (may take a few more years though):

Chong - I just don't see anything from him, but Ole does and he is right about Fed, whom I don't see anything last year either.

Gomes - I hope so. Talent wise he is probably the best player from our young team, but he is far from Premier league level in about everything else (especially physicality, which he seriously lacking)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood - Potential future starter

Williams - Long term squad player

Chong - Sold to midtable european team

Gomes - Unknown, hasn't really had a chance, probably leaving

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Garner and Laird will be in next season's plans. If not they should be sent on loan.

Mason will get more game time and will nail down starting place in 2 seasons. Same wrt Williams.

Chong and Gomes need a loan. They have* impressed in u23s this season.

Last edited:

NoPace

-Greenwood's a star, struggles to get into play but his shooting is incredible with both feet
-Williams a useful squad player for a while because he links play well, is aggressive in his runs which is a nice trait for a fullback on a big team and he can cover either side
-Chong I'd be surprised if he makes it here but left-footers who can cut in from RW are badly needed so he gets chances elsewhere and becomes a decent player in a worse league
-Gomes no idea whatsoever

pacifictheme

Williams has ‘made it’ no more than Tom Cleverley had.

Of all that lot, Mason is far and aWay the surest thing.
Far less than Tom cleverley. He held his own in a Premier league winning team.

Ekeke

Greenwood will make it, maybe as a longterm starter or maybe as a squad player. I think there will always be a place for him and enough football that he wont want to leave.

Gomes could potentially make it as a squad player but the signs arent looking too good right now. I think he could make it big at another good club if he leaves this summer.

Williams will be involved for several seasons but I think he'll eventually play elsewhere. In the Evans, Cleverley, Welbeck category of making it in the short term to medium term, but possibly could be an O'Shea or Brown who are in the squad for a long time before eventually moving on.

Chong I can see being transfered after next season unless he's a phenomenon in the first team.

Drainy

I get a frustrated with Chong as anyone, but his weaknesses are all the types of areas that players progress massively in their early 20s. If he can improve his physical presence and understanding of the game he can become a top player.

Mason is already a decent impact player. Unless something goes seriously wrong he will become a very influential player once he is physically ready.

Williams will have a decent career with us. His recent dip is expected given his age, lack of experience and being overplayed leading up to it. The break will do him good.

Gomes is probably better suited to another league, if I'm being honest. He is quality but I fear that if he sticks around he is will be a Mata-like figure at the club. Squad backup, but not trusted in the bigger games. He is also threatened by prospects younger than him that are just as promising in his position.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Greenwood - very likely. Has the ability but also confidence, intelligence and desire.

Williams- likely also. Highly competitive,self belief, no nonsense attitude, bags of energy.

Chong - needs more experience playing hard games. Slow burner IMO. Problem for him is that others could come in and overtake him. Coaches appear to have faith in him though.

Gomes- Can’t see it. Stature appears to be holding him back. Will make it but necessarily in the PL. overseas league looks best bet.

I’d add these bubbling under with huge potential:
Garner
Laird
Tuanzebe - if he can overcome injuries
Mengi- looks brilliant
Elanga- see Mengi

RyRy11

Dort

Fortunately, you probably know little about player development and trajectory. What you see now about a player doesn’t tell you everything about their future . It’s really annoying when people like you who are not coaches declare definitively that this player or that player is not viable for top league football. Football is not a matter of this one is better now so they stay that way. There is a possibility Chong ends up a better player than mason greenwood. Fredy Adu was at a point declared the next Pele. We have seen Quaresma with more talent than Cristiano Ronaldo at a young age, have a less successful career, and some even thought Rooney is better than C.Ronaldo when they both started out. So don’t presume to know the future . Just state the present and move on. You should stop this definitive statement of this one won’t make it blah blah.
Not sure why you’re singling this person out when the whole point of the thread is to speculate what each individual thinks is going to happen...

Andersons Dietician

Greenwood looks nailed on. Williams will probably be in and around the squad I would think. Don’t think he’ll be a nailed on starter. The other two I’m not sure especially with talk of people like Sancho and Grealish and the likes coming in.
Both talented but I just don’t see a route for them or the current ability to force their way in.