Which of the 4 "youths" currently in the first team squad will make it at United?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Depends what you mean by 'make it'. Mason is already breaking records for us and has the talent to go as far as he wants. He's as close to a guarantee as you can get. Williams has the drive, passion and mentality and enough raw talent to be around the squad for a long time. He has the right attitude, which is why comparisons with Cleverly and Januzaj are unfair. I like him. I doubt he'll ever be as good as in form Shaw, but he has something about him which makes him worth keeping.

Gomes and Chong I doubt will be here within 2/3 years.

Mike Smalling

Greenwood has talents in spades, and has already proven himself to be an extremely valuable squad player even at 18 years old. Whether or not he makes it will be down to his own mentality and the way he is managed. If he keeps his head down, stays humble and works hard he could be a first team player for a long time.

Williams I also feel has enough ability and the right mentality to be part of the squad for a long time. However, with Shaw and Wan-Bissaka in place, it is difficult to see him being in the best starting eleven within the next years. He could end up having the same kind of roles as Phil Neville, Wes Brown and O'Shea before him - important, versatile squad players with enough quality to step up when injuries hit. Whether or not he stays might be down to, if he will accept that kind of role.

Chong and Gomes will leave soon I would think.

jem

Dort

Fortunately, you probably know little about player development and trajectory. What you see now about a player doesn’t tell you everything about their future . It’s really annoying when people like you who are not coaches declare definitively that this player or that player is not viable for top league football. Football is not a matter of this one is better now so they stay that way. There is a possibility Chong ends up a better player than mason greenwood. Fredy Adu was at a point declared the next Pele. We have seen Quaresma with more talent than Cristiano Ronaldo at a young age, have a less successful career, and some even thought Rooney is better than C.Ronaldo when they both started out. So don’t presume to know the future . Just state the present and move on. You should stop this definitive statement of this one won’t make it blah blah.
So you’re upset that the poster answered the question at the beginning of the thread?

jem

Not sure why you’re singling this person out when the whole point of the thread is to speculate what each individual thinks is going to happen...
Because people like Silk enjoy being outraged - or more to the point: enjoy the idea of appearing to be outraged.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Greenwood Yes.
Williams. Has a great chance IMO. Can play both LB and RB so he will get loads of chances.
Gomes. Hard for him now with Bruno. Lingard and Pereira moving on will help his chances. I think he can make it if here.
Chong. I haven't written him off. He is definitely better than he has shown in the first team. But it's a huge step up.

Full bodied red

Williams is no longer a potential, he's made it - definitely first team material at full back or wing back.

Greenwood - I think he is going to be the real deal. Can shoot with both feet, seems confident - I've no doubt will make it at United.

Chong - I say no.

Gomez - I've no idea.

Me too.

Just a slight doubt whether Williams will be able to displace Shaw and AWB, so might have to hang around too long for his own career progression.

032Devil

Not sure why you’re sigling this person out when the whole point of the thread is to speculate what each individual thinks is going to happen...
Fair point about singling out one poster but apart from that Silk is making a decent point about the future potential of young players. It is difficult to predict. A player can have all the talent and potential in the world but fail (Ravel Morrison). Or he can have limited potential but through will power and strong personality, earn a successful career (Gary Neville).

Having ability is one thing but it takes a lot more ingredients than that to succeed.

Last edited:

bsCallout

Greenwood - Most genuinely talented player I've seen during their first year at this level. Irrelevant of the comparisons he should hit RVP levels.

Williams - Starter for most prem teams by 25

Chong - Never.

Gomes - Technically incredible, physical might hold him back in this league

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Total guess work, but my prediction is that Mason will be with us for years, Williams will make it at a mid to lower Prem club (ala Cathcart), Gomes in the Championship and Chong at some random middling European club.

Just purely guessing

M16Red

Should have looked up before posting. Thanks.
:D Gomes is one of my favourite players mate. Chong is not good enough in my personal opinion.

I started watch them (U23) when Jose was managing because I wanted to be entertained.

They are still good to watch - Laird is next up I think..

Carl S Bridge

He is, as was Ethan Laird when he was breaking goalscoring records whilst playing left-back for the 16s when Brandon was already established at left-back for the 18s.
Your quite clearly obsessed with Williams. I feel he's a good prospect whose been overhyped and is far from making it here. You see him as a much better player than Shaw. We disagree Let's leave it there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Me too.

Just a slight doubt whether Williams will be able to displace Shaw and AWB, so might have to hang around too long for his own career progression.
He doesn't necessarily need to displace them. He's already getting plenty of games having played 27 times so far this season. In a normal season, that would have him on course to get a minimum of 35 games . He can cover on both sides, and provides an attacking threat neither of the players currently ahead of him possess. It's a squad game afterall, and he has a very important role to play in it. And of course he has every chance of taking one of those positions permanently.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
:D Gomes is one of my favourite players mate. Chong is not good enough in my personal opinion.

I started watch them (U23) when Jose was managing because I wanted to be entertained.

They are still good to watch - Laird is next up I think..
Chong seems to be doing better though.

What about Garner? I think he is class.

M16Red

Chong seems to be doing better though.

What about Garner? I think he is class.
Garner is very good, Levitt is good as well - there is lots of talent in that team.

Ramazani he has his contract up soon as well.

Dante

Average bang
Greenwood is nailed on.

I'm not sold on Williams yet. He's performed well, without excelling in a way that makes me think he has top class quality.

Chong, I don't think will be good enough for United long term. Gomes, I haven't seen enough of in the men's game.

I think Garner is almost as nailed on as Greenwood.

lsd

The Oracle
Chong will make it . I have no idea why people are hating on him i can only imagine it's because they prefer Gomes .

The only thing he is lacking at the moment is to be stronger on the ball and that will come which is why he got the new deal

SAFMUTD

Dort

Fortunately, you probably know little about player development and trajectory. What you see now about a player doesn’t tell you everything about their future . It’s really annoying when people like you who are not coaches declare definitively that this player or that player is not viable for top league football. Football is not a matter of this one is better now so they stay that way. There is a possibility Chong ends up a better player than mason greenwood. Fredy Adu was at a point declared the next Pele. We have seen Quaresma with more talent than Cristiano Ronaldo at a young age, have a less successful career, and some even thought Rooney is better than C.Ronaldo when they both started out. So don’t presume to know the future . Just state the present and move on. You should stop this definitive statement of this one won’t make it blah blah.
Did I said I know the future mate? I dont know what you are talking about, Im not sure you get what the thread and the forum is about, but let me explain it to you.

Its about sharing our opinions and points of views if you dont like it then I can see in your future nothing but lame posts like your last one. Cheers.

Snuffkin

Greenwood could get poached by rival clubs. He is not a local lad and has such obvious talent he'd be worth alot already. A lucrative contract is hard to turn down at that age.

ghagua

Greenwood is a first team player. If he can avoid injuries he will have a great career at United. The 3 others need to go out on loan and gain a lot of experience. Williams has looked good, but he needs experience somewhere else first and needs to control his aggression a little bit. Chong needs to show why he is so highly rated. He looks scared out of his wits when on the pitch. Gomes needs a lot of experience as well. Not sure why Chong and Gomes were not sent out on loan this year to get them some experience.

Canadianred17

Only Greenwood for me. Williams will be a squad player at best for United. If Shaw ever needs to be replaced, it won't be by Williams, but a top left-back that we'll buy.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Greenwood is a Benzema level talent to me. Not quite the same skillset though. Slightly more advanced at the same age.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm comfortable with William as a cover for any fullback position for next season. Which I think, it categorizes him as he has "made" it, as far as a young player straight from Youth.

He's not on Greenwood potential, but neither did Gary Neville when he nailed that RB. Also Shaw isn't a model of healthy footballer also. Another long-term injury to Shaw, and William may nail on that LB.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Greenwood, potential superstar for the club.
Williams, potentially capable of pushing out Shaw.
Chong, we haven’t seen enough to form a judgment.
Gomes, same as Chong.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Will make it:
Henderson, Greenwood

Probably:
Williams

Not likely:
Chong, Gomes

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Williams is no longer a potential, he's made it - definitely first team material at full back or wing back.

Greenwood - I think he is going to be the real deal. Can shoot with both feet, seems confident - I've no doubt will make it at United.

Chong - I say no.

Gomez - I've no idea.
I think both Williams and Greenwood have great future, if they keep up the good work. Can't see Chong going anywhere. Liked Gomes when he played, but that hasn't happened in way too long, so...

meamth

Mason is a generational talent, not going giddy on this, but he is the real deal.

Perhaps his potential is the biggest in the world, in his age group.

Ole needs to be very smart on this, the club has to be responsible in terms of giving him the fortune. Youngsters can be easily swayed by their early success.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Chong - I say no.

Gomez - I've no idea.
Agreed. Williams and Greenwood have "made it" while Chong has looked terrible every time hes played.

Gomez we have barely seen at a first team level, but if he was good enough, he would have played

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Mason is a generational talent, not going giddy on this, but he is the real deal.

Perhaps his potential is the biggest in the world, in his age group.
Curious - when you describe Mason as "generational talent" do you mean "as good as Rashford in his generation" or do you think Mason will surpass Rashford, eventually?

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
So you were making assertions in your post without having a clue of what you were talking about?
I was assuming they have not been as good (probably why they were not played). Hadn't checked the stats so yea my bad.

KevinJoh

Greenwood will make it for sure.

Williams already member of the squad, and it would be hard for Ole not to give him more chances after good preseason with club. Comparing him to Cleverly is not fair to be honest. Williams is 19, Clevz had 3 loans before getting to United team when 22 and playing as a squad player in title winning team. I can't honestly see Williams as worse player than now in 3 years and that would keep him in the squad for sure. From my point of view, with his attitude he can develop to be even world class left back.

Chong - I honestly doubt. We will see what is the plan for him, but I can't see him playing for us next year. If loaned and developed in 12 months, maybe something will change.

Gomes - he is not ready for senior football. If he is, he would play with Ole desperate for creative midfielders.

Laird - looks to me that he can get there, at least to be squad player, but he will need to stay injury free for longer period to have a chance.

Garner - not sure about him. He is so good on U23 level, so above anyone else, that it is weird that he did not get a proper chance even when we have been without proper midfielder in the team. He had a few chances, minutes and even a full game or two, and he did all right in those games, so it is even more weird. Maybe he was injured in that period. Looking forward to see if he will be loaned out during summer, or stay in the squad.

Levitt - he is old enough now, and should go on loan I guess. Potential is there, just needs to have senior football to develop. Could be squad player in 2-3 years.

Mejbri - I would be surprised if he is not getting debut and a few more games next year.