Which of the 4 "youths" currently in the first team squad will make it at United?

meamth

Curious - when you describe Mason as "generational talent" do you mean "as good as Rashford in his generation" or do you think Mason will surpass Rashford, eventually?
He will definitely surpass Rashford.

This is based on the fact that Greenwood is a total genius when it comes to football skills. Rashford is all hardwork and determination.

Both are great, of course, but Mason seems like the complete footballer, compared to Rashford.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Greenwood look odds on to make it, and he is being managed fantastically by Ole so far.

Williams should make is as a prominent squad player, but he does need to improve. So im at 60-40 at the moment.

I doubt Gomes and Chong would make it.

stu_1992

Greenwood is a certainty barring any injury or mentality issues that may arise. I don't think the latter is likely in his case, probably the most naturally gifted youngster we've had in ages.

Williams, I think will make it too. The OP says first team squad, and I think he's nicely fitting in now. Of course we don't want to stay at this level but he's young and can improve further. I think he has a chance at making it at as a regular starter, but can definitely but a squad player for us. He's had up and down games this season for us, but he's young and still learning/adapting. I think some of his weaker performances have come as a wing-back but he's looked better as a fullback.

Chong - He may need a loan. Clearly talented from his time in the youth teams but not shown anything at all really in the senior side. Very much needs to step it up to even become a squad option. Has enough talent to do it, but massive question marks for me on whether he can translate that talent to the Premier League.

Gomes - Similar to Chong, not shown much at senior level yet though had less chances. Seems he's head isn't here anyway so while he's like that, he's unlikely to improve. Physically may be a big issue for him anyway in the short term.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

This is based on the fact that Greenwood is a total genius when it comes to football skills. Rashford is all hardwork and determination.

Both are great, of course, but Mason seems like the complete footballer, compared to Rashford.
Interesting. That is a bit higher than what I think (I rate Rashford very highly, though), but thanks for sharing

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Genius can’t be successful without hardwork and determination

The lower leagues in all sports are full of ‘geniuses’ who never utilised their talents by working hard

InfiniteBoredom

People are overrating Greenwood way too much. He’s less talented than RvP and the latter albeit hampered repeatedly by injuries still took quite a while before starting as striker for Arsenal.

What bodes well for him though is his goal instinct. I haven’t seen a striker who can strike the ball that cleanly from both feet, from almost any angle like him for a while, that should help him with getting a place in the squad but there are many things he still need to develop before he can play as the starting center forward for us consistently. Making it for a player with his potential means becoming one of the best strikers in the league, as it is that’s still very much up in the air.

Craig Ward

Greenwood is by far the best prospect we've had for some time. He is a gem

He looks assured, looks deadly in front of goal and is being managed in the right way.

Chong is just dont see it, but with game time we will improve (we hope)

Gomes isnt worth a mention until we know he is staying.

Garner i was hoping to see more of, likewise Laird in cup games etc

Williams is an odd one for me, with many people raving about him. I just don't see anything special there whatsoever. The first team exposure will undoubtedly be good for him and make him a better player, but he's lacking in a lot of areas for me. We've played him as we had no other options due to injuries and his workrate has kept him in and around the squad. He's not awful by any stretch, but talk of him having already made it and being first choice is pretty over kill.

If we play Shaw in a back 3 on a regular basis, then i'd argue we need to sign a much better left wing back cos Williams isnt good enough for us there right now.

Himannv

As others have said, Greenwood is the only sure shot. I think he will definitely make it although it will take a bit longer than some here predict.

Williams is fine as a wingback when we play that system and he's decent competition for Shaw. He's a good squad option and has more to develop.

Chong is an interesting one. I think he'll do well if he keeps progressing and get's more game time. He's one of those who could either go the Salah route or the Obertan route.

Gomes looks like he'll leave. I'm surprised he hasn't had much game time, especially considering we've been needing some creativity from midfield for a while this season. Having said that, he probably doesn't make his presence felt enough when he's on the pitch. He'd be a decent player but probably in a different team and in a different league IMO.

rollingstoned1

for all the talk about gomes not being physically ready yet, if we had gambled and played him instead of Lingard and Periera this season it's hard to imagine him not being able to do better than what they've done. I hope he sticks around, we need one or 2 nimble, technical players who are small and good on the ball. Chong needs at least 2 seasons out on loan though i don't think he will make it here. He might play for some midtable club in spain or italy in a few years.

meamth

Have you guys seen this?

So he scored 10 goals when United first spot him.

10 goals, let that sink in...

Bestietom

Greenwood will most definitely make it, Williams is in already. I like Gomes but I think his size seems to be an issue here, don't know why as he's very talented. Chong make take more time, I think it's confidence and more games might do him good.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Chong and Gomes won't make it at United. Both look good at u23s but struggle too much at first team level. The gulf between u23s and even Championship is huge, let alone to a decent Prem side. Been plenty of players who have been great at that level and never made the cut at Prem level. Mcburnie was basically Messi at u23s and has struggled at first team level.

Dr Fink

Probably Williams. Greenwood could end up being our super-sub player like Ole was. He might be the victim of us having better striking options at the time, which is another similarity. The other two - no.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Put him straight with what? More incorrect info? Williams was never the u18s starting LB while Laird was playing for the u16s. What season did this apparently happen?
Quite possibly, but Williams made his debut at left-back as a Sub in the penultimate/last game of the 2016/17 season(remember watching it), then started the following season at left-back and hasn't moved from that position right up to his first-team debut this season - if he was only at left-back because of Laird why on the numerous occasions Laird was missing and sadly there were many did we try everybody bar Williams at right-back including Tanner a makeshift fullback, Barrett a centre-back by trade, O'Connor for a few games, then the following season Puigmal, Tom Cobley and All.

Stig

I like the phrase being banded about here , decent squad player, Gary Neville said he wanted to make it at United but was worried as he wasnt even the best player in his house.

Denis' cuff

All very unpredictable. Even Fergie got it wrong quite frequently with predictions of Jones and persistence with others who were ultimately nowhere near.

remember enthusiastic predictions of Scholes making it but was slow to emerge and even then, not in the role he finally emerged at. Reminds me a bit of Gomes. Really would like him to make it. Love that type of player.

Ability and even dedication aside, players are often at the whim of a manager playing them in their most effective role. We’ve had one or two that we slipped up with, like Beardsley who barely got a sniff before becoming a top player but thankfully not too many.

jeez these new iPads have shit predictive text

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
All very unpredictable. Even Fergie got it wrong quite frequently with predictions of Jones and persistence with others who were ultimately nowhere near.

remember enthusiastic predictions of Scholes making it but was slow to emerge and even then, not in the role he finally emerged at. Reminds me a bit of Gomes. Really would like him to make it. Love that type of player.

Ability and even dedication aside, players are often at the whim of a manager playing them in their most effective role. We’ve had one or two that we slipped up with, like Beardsley who barely got a sniff before becoming a top player but thankfully not too many.

jeez these new iPads have shit predictive text
All the seasoned pros; Robson, Crerand always believed that Scholes had that extra quality needed to be a real star. I’m not seeing the same enthusiasm over Gomes.

demongod

Gomes is so so tiny, have no idea how he would survive in the league. I used to think Walcott, Lennon, Sterling were tiny but hes even smaller than them.

Denis' cuff

All the seasoned pros; Robson, Crerand always believed that Scholes had that extra quality needed to be a real star. I’m not seeing the same enthusiasm over Gomes.
aye, maybe there’s a reason they’re holding him back apart from his size and if Paddy isn’t enthusing about him, it makes you wonder. :)

Ive only seen snatches of him and like what little I’ve seen, so hoping they’re just toughening him up a bit. Raised in Salford, you wouldn’t think he’d be a soft arse but still, there’s some big lads in the PL. Might be more to it?

DSG

What sets Williams apart is his mentality. Yes, Mahrez made him look foolish, but he’s done that to loads of LBs over the years, including Shaw. But he reminds me of Gary Neville as far as his mentality goes, and his sense of positioning is solid. I expect him to become our regular LB. He’s already better than Shaw at passing/distribution and is a solid decision maker.

Greenwood... maybe the best pure finisher I’ve ever seen at his age. Seems to be an overstatement, but there it is. Brazilian Ronaldo was a great finisher, but mostly because his speed and strength allowed him to get separation. Greenwood doesn’t have that and still scores often because he’s equally gifted with both feet and is so damn accurate. Not saying that Greenwood will be as good or even half as good as Ronaldo, but he’s going to be scoring goals for a long time, barring injury.

Chong: no.

Gomes. Just isn’t getting any chances. I suspect he’ll be gone in the summer anyhow. Isn’t he in the last year of his contract and won’t sign a new deal?

Garner. Looked decent in the few matches I’ve watched him play, but it looks as if the pace of play is a bit too fast for him now. I’m going to pass on this one.

Laird. Haven’t watched him enough. Pass.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Is it? The Athletic wrote about it. Kieran McKenna changed his position at U16-level.
It's easier to get info out of North Korea or Albania that news from United re. players in the under-age groups but i'd always thought of him(Williams), and quite possibly wrongly as a right-sided midfielder(and that's just based on very brief highlights from one of the numerous youth tournaments the u14/15/16s play in Europe every year), and when he got his step up to the 18s it was more because he was a stand-out at u15/16 level and deserved a chance more than he was the next in line for any particular position as is usually the case - he took to the position like a duck to water, and the rest is history.

Didn't McKenna come straight in as u18 coach?

Kappa123

Not sure what anyone sees in Chong, absolute nothing player for me. Where does "good squad player" and "give him a chance on loan" come from? He's just not good.

Mcking

Not sold on Williams. He is a right footer playing at left back, and isn't particularly special. Unless he manages to establish himself in a more conventional position for a right footer, then I don't think he even stands a chance.

DSG

Not sold on Williams. He is a right footer playing at left back, and isn't particularly special. Unless he manages to establish himself in a more conventional position for a right footer, then I don't think he even stands a chance.
Totally agree.... I mean, there’s never been an even passable right-footer at left back, apart from Paolo Maldini...

lenny_1248

People are overrating Greenwood way too much. He’s less talented than RvP and the latter albeit hampered repeatedly by injuries still took quite a while before starting as striker for Arsenal.
RVP came at Arsenal at 21. I highly doubt you've watched him when he was 17/18.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Mason Greenwood only turned 18 on October 1, 2019. He scored 12 goals for the first team (5 -PL, 7- cups). Marcus Rashford who was 21 last season (18/19) scored a total of 13 goals (10 - PL, 2 -CL, 1 - cups).

Incredible stats and efficiency from Mason. Yes, his goals are not as important as Marcus’, but you can beat only what is in front of you. Mason was often brought as a sub in PL. What Ole is doing is building his style, body and mentality to became a world class Player.

Williams possesses all the potential to become a top flight FB for us. In terms of talent he is a different caliber than Greenwood of course, but this is the way it is: forwards are always considered bigger talents because it’s a more demanding position. Williams is definitely already a squad member. He’s not a youth player in club‘ ranks, and his position in pecking order among FBs is as high (if not higher) as Greenwood’s among forwards.

hope written above is not confusing

Chong and Angel are extremely (lately much less so) overrated on the Caf and don’t deserve all this discussion.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

What bodes well for him though is his goal instinct. I haven’t seen a striker who can strike the ball that cleanly from both feet, from almost any angle like him for a while, that should help him with getting a place in the squad but there are many things he still need to develop before he can play as the starting center forward for us consistently. Making it for a player with his potential means becoming one of the best strikers in the league, as it is that’s still very much up in the air.
It’s up in the air until he does it.

Nonsense to say he’s not as talented as RvP. He’s very similar to RvP and looks an equally good prospect compared to young RvP.

Greenwood’s balance, footwork and finishing are already excellent. The boy is eighteen and a half and he’s brilliant. Provided he grows into a man as expected, he will be in the RvP class (and better I believe).

InfiniteBoredom

It’s up in the air until he does it.

Nonsense to say he’s not as talented as RvP. He’s very similar to RvP and looks an equally good prospect compared to young RvP.

Greenwood’s balance, footwork and finishing are already excellent. The boy is eighteen and a half and he’s brilliant. Provided he grows into a man as expected, he will be in the RvP class (and better I believe).
RvP is objectively the more skillful footballer, he struggled a lot with his tempers as a young footballer, and was faster before all his injuries. I think the only thing Greenwood has over him is goal instincts, and that’s not to say he’s deficient otherwise, the former was just a great baller.

RVP came at Arsenal at 21. I highly doubt you've watched him when he was 17/18.
I’m of the opinion that players don’t magically become more talented after they’ve gone through their formative years, Ronaldo for instance wasn’t a better dribbler at 21 compared to 18, he filled out, made better decisions, became more goal hungry/clinical, but his techniques remained the same. You see Lukaku for instance who genuinely tried to improve his touch but couldn’t do it, there’s no shame in admitting that a player as good as RvP was better technically than Greenwood.

OrcaFat

RvP is objectively the more skillful footballer, he struggled a lot with his tempers as a young footballer, and was faster before all his injuries. I think the only thing Greenwood has over him is goal instincts, and that’s not to say he’s deficient otherwise, the former was just a great baller.

I’m of the opinion that players don’t magically become more talented after they’ve gone through their formative years, Ronaldo for instance wasn’t a better dribbler at 21 compared to 18, he filled out, made better decisions, became more goal hungry/clinical, but his techniques remained the same. You see Lukaku for instance who genuinely tried to improve his touch but couldn’t do it, there’s no shame in admitting that a player as good as RvP was better technically than Greenwood.
I objectively disagree that Greenwood is any less talented in terms of skill than RvP. Greenwood has amazing touch, very quick feet and excellent close control, whilst running at pace, and fantastic ball striking technique resulting in shots on target and goals.

RvP was a very good player over a long period but it is simply not true to say Greenwood is less talented.

Fosu-Mens

Wasn't there a story about RVP never passing to players that were slightly offside during his younger years? Also, his youth coach at Excelsior stated that he was head and shoulders above the rest of the players in his understanding of the game, but not the clearly best in regards to abilities?
Also, his left foot was one of the deadliest in the game. Power and control.

The difference between Greenwood and RVP is that Greenwood got two good feet compared to RVPs great left foot. When running he is comfortable controlling it with both feet, and can go both ways in 1v1. Still, RVPs control with his left foot was silky smooth, while Greenwood is not at that level with either of his feet. Greenwood is good at everything needed to be a competent attacker but needs to refine his game, i.e becoming more extreme in some elements of his game and know how to utilize his abilities better. The physical side of his game will come over time, as the club seems to be good at developing this side of the youth players game.

Greenwood is the one most likely to make it at the club.
Williams will become a good squad player.
Gomes abilities do not suit the way we play. Might make it at a team playing a different type of football.
Chong will not make it.

Laird will make it, dependent on injuries.
Garner and Levitt need a season in the championship.

lenny_1248

So was he more technically gifted or more talented in general? The first statement might be true, the second... I highly doubt.
And yes, you can become better technically over the years. If Lukaku could not achieve it, does not mean nobody can. Coaches literally train footballers to become more capable technically.
I can guarantee you Mason will be a better dribbler at 21 than he is now. Look at Rashford.